HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is there a limit to how far in the future a pick can be traded?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
  #1
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 500
Is there a limit to how far in the future a pick can be traded?

Quite simply, can a team trade their, say, 2020 1st rounder?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
  #2
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,323
vCash: 355
I believe its 4 years, don't quote me on it though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
  #3
CBJenga
Registered User
 
CBJenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I believe its 4 years, don't quote me on it though.
Too late. You've been quoted.


However, I second that 4 year thing but I can't for the life of me remember where I've heard it.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:53 PM
  #4
neutral zone trap13
Registered User
 
neutral zone trap13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,526
vCash: 500
The most I've ever seen is two years

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
  #5
DohBruins
Registered User
 
DohBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
I don't think there is, but i could be wrong. If i were a GM i wouldnt trade/trade for any thing longer than 3 years.

Also the Gretzky trade included a pick five years in the future.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:47 PM
  #6
Rpro
Registered User
 
Rpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
Furthest future draft pick i can recall ever being traded was the kings '93 first round pick to the Oilers from a trade made between the two teams in '88. I can't quite recall the players involved in the deal however.... . . . .

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
  #7
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 500
There definitely is a limit, couldn't tell you what t is though

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
  #8
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks
 
Rivet52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
There has to be some sort of limit. Could you imagine how much of a shot in the dark the pick would be if it was in say, 2020? So much can change between now and then and a team could go through a rebuild, a Cup win, and another rebuild in that time frame.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
  #9
DohBruins
Registered User
 
DohBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Furthest future draft pick i can recall ever being traded was the kings '93 first round pick to the Oilers from a trade made between the two teams in '88. I can't quite recall the players involved in the deal however.... . . . .
It was the Gretzky trade

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:16 PM
  #10
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
Offer sheet compensation goes up to 4 1st (your own), so it must be at least 4 years

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
  #11
Rpro
Registered User
 
Rpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan02190 View Post
It was the Gretzky trade
Well I guess the smiley was necessary.

Rpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
  #12
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,323
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Offer sheet compensation goes up to 4 1st (your own), so it must be at least 4 years
I think that's why I figured it was 4 actually.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
  #13
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
i thought it was 2 with an exception for OS comp.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  #14
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
I've never heard of a limit. I'd actually be surprised if there was one. But you never know.

You'd be hard pressed to find a GM willing to trade for a draft pick that far in the future. It doesn't help the team's immediate future. And most GM's don't look that far ahead into the future.

You also have to remember that a 1st rounder 10 years from now isn't worth a 1st rounder right now. They kind of lose value with time. Sort of like money. $1 million in 10 years is worth less than a $1 million today. A 1st rounder in 10 years might be worth a 3rd rounder today or something like that.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
  #15
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,478
vCash: 500
Pretty sure they don't even need one, but I remember it being 5 for some reason.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:56 PM
  #16
rgb63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
IYou also have to remember that a 1st rounder 10 years from now isn't worth a 1st rounder right now. They kind of lose value with time. Sort of like money. $1 million in 10 years is worth less than a $1 million today. A 1st rounder in 10 years might be worth a 3rd rounder today or something like that.
Sort of like money, but not at all.

Draft picks do not lose value over time. A pick in 2013 is worth the same in 2013 as a pick in 2020 would be worth in 2020. A first rounder is a first rounder.

$1M however, would be worth different in 2020 because of inflation or deflation.

*I am not saying that a 2020 pick in 2013 is worth the same as a 2013 pick in 2013.

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
  #17
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,666
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I've never heard of a limit. I'd actually be surprised if there was one. But you never
I agree. I've never heard of a limit. I doubt there needs to be one.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:02 PM
  #18
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb63 View Post
Sort of like money, but not at all.

Draft picks do not lose value over time. A pick in 2013 is worth the same in 2013 as a pick in 2020 would be worth in 2020. A first rounder is a first rounder.

$1M however, would be worth different in 2020 because of inflation or deflation.

*I am not saying that a 2020 pick in 2013 is worth the same as a 2013 pick in 2013.
and time, development, and games played on your team are not comparable to inflation? Not to mention the fact that predicting the value of an individual team's pick beyond 4-5 years (or arguably even less) is practically impossible.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  #19
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,043
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb63 View Post
Sort of like money, but not at all.

Draft picks do not lose value over time. A pick in 2013 is worth the same in 2013 as a pick in 2020 would be worth in 2020. A first rounder is a first rounder.

$1M however, would be worth different in 2020 because of inflation or deflation.

*I am not saying that a 2020 pick in 2013 is worth the same as a 2013 pick in 2013.
I disagree, a pick in 2013 is not worth the same in 2020. By the time 2020 rolls around, that first round pick in 2013 will have already had time to develop and will almost certainly be contributing by 2020. If they are not contributing by then, I think it would safe to call them a bust by that point.

That's what the point the other poster I believe was trying to make. Assuming all draft classes have equal players at every pick, a 1st round in 2013, say 10th overall, will be more valuable than the 10th overall pick in 2014 and much more valuable than the 10th overall in 2020 due to development and time invested in the player already.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
  #20
rgb63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I disagree, a pick in 2013 is not worth the same in 2020. By the time 2020 rolls around, that first round pick in 2013 will have already had time to develop and will almost certainly be contributing by 2020. If they are not contributing by then, I think it would safe to call them a bust by that point.

That's what the point the other poster I believe was trying to make. Assuming all draft classes have equal players at every pick, a 1st round in 2013, say 10th overall, will be more valuable than the 10th overall pick in 2014 and much more valuable than the 10th overall in 2020 due to development and time invested in the player already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
and time, development, and games played on your team are not comparable to inflation? Not to mention the fact that predicting the value of an individual team's pick beyond 4-5 years (or arguably even less) is practically impossible.
I wasn't disagreeing with his general thought, just his money analogy.

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:40 PM
  #21
5 Hole
Registered User
 
5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 'No..
Country: United States
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
You also have to remember that a 1st rounder 10 years from now isn't worth a 1st rounder right now. They kind of lose value with time. Sort of like money. $1 million in 10 years is worth less than a $1 million today.
A pound of feathers weighs less than a pound of lead.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:43 PM
  #22
5 Hole
Registered User
 
5 Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 'No..
Country: United States
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb63 View Post
$1M however, would be worth different in 2020 because of inflation or deflation..
It's worth $1 million.. no matter what.

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:28 PM
  #23
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,935
vCash: 50
6 years was the longest one I saw back in the 80s--a second rounder I think

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
  #24
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
1st round picks are like cars, they loose value, or their like a lottery ticket, you win some, you loose some, so, its basically a lottery ticket, or they loose value, cause the team could either suck or win the stanley cup.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
  #25
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan02190 View Post
It was the Gretzky trade
You need to fix your sarcasm detector, it might be broken.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.