HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5 All time Best Preds

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
tulsytrid1

vCash: 500
Top 5 All time Best Preds

Well who do you think? List your all time guys. Note...not talking about guys with the best future.
1. Scott Walker- He defines what it is to be a Pred. Over the last 6 years I rarely saw him take a shift off. He has developed his game to be a pretty good scorer.
2. Thomas Vokoun. Another expansion guy who with the chance he has been given done very well and hasn't looked back. Sure he has only been our starter for a few seasons, but many of us thought he deserved the starting job sooner.
3. Kimmo Timonen- Another product of expansion...he wasn't taken during the draft but was traded for FC during the drafting period. I think he one of the better D-men in the league...... this guy made Andy Delmore look like an all star. Very good player on both ends, but he excels on the PP.
4. Cliff Ronning- The Rat was at one time our really only legitimate scoring threat. I was glad the Poile made the trade to get him and was equally glad in the trade to move him along.
5. David Legwand- Best two-way foward we have. He has had the most pressure on his shoulders as a young player as he is the most scrutinized young player (amongst the fans and media) that we have. He is still just 24 years old; however, he has been a key part of the Predators team since 1999.
Honorable Mention: Hartnell.

Old
01-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I'd take Legwand off and add Sullivan.

Old
01-24-2005, 11:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey

Yeah, you would

Old
01-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
I would to Jonesey, ain't nothing like having a hatty in your first home game

Old
01-25-2005, 01:39 AM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
No love for Andy Delmore???? That guy was a stud.

Old
01-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
No love for Andy Delmore???? That guy was a stud.
he's getting plenty of votes....of course those are on the other poll,the 5 worst preds

Old
01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
vopatsrash

here is my list as of right now...

1) Tomas Vokoun - To me, he is number one, because he really set the tone for the franchise turnaround. He was on the NHL trash heap more than any other Pred that succeeded when he got here, came through for us as a backup during Dunham's many ailments, takes no mess from opponents, leaves it all on the ice, and takes responsibility to his team and the media after losses.

2) Kimmo Timonen - arguably could have been a 3 time all star. (he made it twice, and I want to say there was a third season where his stats were along the lines of other defensemen that made it and he was overlooked).

3) Scott Walker - I rank him #3, because he's only had 2 truly great seasons, whereas Vokoun had a bigger individual impact, imo, and Kimmo has been consistently good over 4+ seasons.

4) Cliff Ronning - the Rat brought a much needed flair and some offensive stability to our team in our inaugural year. arguably single-handedly (along with maybe Dunny) kept us from getting a top 3 draft pick and a Kovalchuk/Heatley/Nash type of talent with his scoring and creativity. Could you imagine our goal scoring output had he not been here those first couple of seasons?

5) Greg Johnson - I know he's not the most beloved Pred and most would disagree with his inclusion in a top 5, however....The man has killed penalties, the man has played on power plays. He has done all he's been asked to do. He averaged 15 goals a season in his 5 (relatively) healthy seasons and he was on pace for 17 in his concussion season. This, in a system in which he has been asked to take on a lot of non-offensive duties that have really hindered his stats. He even took a butt kicking for the team in Calgary last season. Not the greatest player, but his overall contributions on and off the ice warrant a top 5 right now, imo.

honorable mention: Mike Dunham, Steve Sullivan, David Legwand, Vladimir Orszagh, Karlis Skrastins

Old
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
predperson

Quote:
5) Greg Johnson - I know he's not the most beloved Pred and most would disagree with his inclusion in a top 5, however....The man has killed penalties, the man has played on power plays. He has done all he's been asked to do. He averaged 15 goals a season in his 5 (relatively) healthy seasons and he was on pace for 17 in his concussion season. This, in a system in which he has been asked to take on a lot of non-offensive duties that have really hindered his stats. He even took a butt kicking for the team in Calgary last season. Not the greatest player, but his overall contributions on and off the ice warrant a top 5 right now, imo.
I agree vopatsrash....he's just one of those "quietly efficient" guys that can always be depended on. He's not flashy but he's steady as a rock. He's on my list too.....in fact, I agree with your list (except one of the honorable mentions)

Old
01-25-2005, 10:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I agree that Johnson has been "efficient," but I don't think that places him on any "best" list. If being efficient gets you on the list, then Skrastins should be on it. I actually think he hasn't been all that great of a captain, either.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:43 AM
predperson

Quote:
I actually think he hasn't been all that great of a captain, either.
That's not what I hear from inside sources.....

Old
01-25-2005, 10:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson
That's not what I hear from inside sources.....

What would they say, though? What I look for in a captain...is what I see from Walker and even Hartnell. The Messier-style, barking on the bench, barking on the ice, blood and guts style captain. It was mentioned more than once last season when the team would come out uninspired...and everyone seemed complacent.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I agree that Johnson has been "efficient," but I don't think that places him on any "best" list. If being efficient gets you on the list, then Skrastins should be on it. I actually think he hasn't been all that great of a captain, either.
I think Greg Johnson is underrated. I don't think that he is indispensable right now, however. If they decided to make a move for a younger player and trade him tomorrow and make walker or hartnell captain, i wouldn't shed a tear. That time will come and it might be now (or whenever they play again), for all we know. But, i think his Pred career as a full body of work is top 5 material. Barry Trotz has said numerous times over the years that he has put Greg in defensively responsible spots in lieu of scoring spots and he still averaged 15 goals.

also, i think it's reasonable to want scott walker to be captain over greg johnson based on what we see on the ice. (not saying that would be your pref nmk, but that is the most common argument) Scotty plays the bad cop and is the emotional leader. But, part of being captain is off-ice too, and I have no idea how greg johnson is off-ice with the players since I'm not there and don't know anyone who is, so I can't say he's been a bad captain and I can't say he's been a good captain.

So, in terms of best players in the total package of the game, including longevity and consistency over time, I'd put him in the top 5.

it's just a matter of philosophy. Personally, I don't consider Steve Sullivan for any Pred lists, except for "top 5 immediate impacts" or "top 5 best hat-tricks" or "top 5 most painful/disastrous Pred penalty shot misses" because he has only been a pred on-ice for a few months, but that's my preference. Conversely, someone could reasonably argue that those few months of Sully trump 6 years of Johnson, Walker, and Vokoun.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

fair enough..though..for what it's worth...ronning wouldn't be on my list, either.

Old
01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
fair enough..though..for what it's worth...ronning wouldn't be on my list, either.
mine either but nor do I want to see Scott Walker as a captain, not of this team anyway.

Old
01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
mine either but nor do I want to see Scott Walker as a captain, not of this team anyway.
I'd prefer him to Johnson, but no, he wouldn't be my first choice. Hartnell just seems to be the guy.

Old
01-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Pred303

Quote:
I'd prefer him to Johnson, but no, he wouldn't be my first choice. Hartnell just seems to be the guy.
i would like to think Hartnell will suceed Johnson as captain in the next couple of years,until now with the predators so young the first thing looked for in picking pred captains wasn't fire,it was age and experience(and understandably)...but as the team has matured,the need for a new type of captain has too,so when johnson is phased out this next year or two,i'm thinking the preds go for heart and sole....now if a change were made in the next year,you could see either walker or sully getting the nod-simply because of the weight they carry on the ice(not that i would want it,just that i think it would happen)

Old
01-25-2005, 11:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
i would like to think Hartnell will suceed Johnson as captain in the next couple of years,until now with the predators so young the first thing looked for in picking pred captains wasn't fire,it was age and experience(and understandably)...but as the team has matured,the need for a new type of captain has too,so when johnson is phased out this next year or two,i'm thinking the preds go for heart and sole....now if a change were made in the next year,you could see either walker or sully getting the nod-simply because of the weight they carry on the ice(not that i would want it,just that i think it would happen)

It's a possibility, but at the same time...wouldn't it be healthier to go right to the one that's going to be the guy..rather than having another interruption in the captaincy? It seems like numerous captaincy changes could be harmful to the team as a whole.

Old
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
It's a possibility, but at the same time...wouldn't it be healthier to go right to the one that's going to be the guy..rather than having another interruption in the captaincy? It seems like numerous captaincy changes could be harmful to the team as a whole.
i think tootoo or hnidy should be captain!!!

i agree. I think if Hartnell is eventually the man, you go with him now. Especially after last season when his mental errors decreased. Now is the perfect time, imo, for him to grow into the role. I think Walker would support that decision, as well, and help Hartnell.

Old
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
predperson

Quote:
The role of a captain in a new franchise is vastly different from the role in an established market. Granted, we are getting to the point in our longevity that this is becoming less important and we could gravitate toward a more traditional captain.

In these first six years, the role of the captain was as much about marketing/representing the team and nurturing new players and their families as leading the team on the ice. These first six years, you had to have someone who was mature, educated, spoke well in public, had a clean image and was willing to get out and about in the community. It also helped that both our captains had wifes who would help nurture the new players (and their wifes) & entertained some of Nashville's business people. There was a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes.

I could see Hartnell as captain down the pike a bit.....at least a couple more years.

Quote:
What would they say, though?
You would be very surprised at what they say....

Closed Thread