HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2013, 05:05 PM
  #301
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 19,977
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Why do you regret buying the $20 DLC?

The first pack is a single-player continuation. I bet it's going to be awesome.

The second two are map-packs for Multiplayer - but whatever, I'm sure the multi-player is fun.
Played a round of the counter/tdm style game mode, while taking a break. It's supposed to be by far less interesting than the sudden death one, but it was freaking intense. The crafting/upgrading works great, and the stealth/action just gets your heart racing.

It's essentially like single player, except your enemies are just as smart as you

Fire AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:08 PM
  #302
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Played a round of the counter/tdm style game mode, while taking a break. It's supposed to be by far less interesting than the sudden death one, but it was freaking intense. The crafting/upgrading works great, and the stealth/action just gets your heart racing.

It's essentially like single player, except your enemies are just as smart as you
Yeah, I think I'm going to play the best-of-7 Sudden Death mode the most. It just seems like it'll be insanely fun and intense.

Could you heal teammates with med-packs etc in the TDM style mode?

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  #303
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 19,977
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Yeah, I think I'm going to play the best-of-7 Sudden Death mode the most. It just seems like it'll be insanely fun and intense.

Could you heal teammates with med-packs etc in the TDM style mode?
I believe so. You would bleed out after 'dying'. Either to get beat/shot by an enemy to finish you or to get healed

Fire AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:15 PM
  #304
Alpha
英霊
 
Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 962
What a letdown.

Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:17 PM
  #305
Harbinger
sic parvis magna
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,040
vCash: 500
wow.


dat opening scene man, dat opening scene.


Also, I died in my first gun fight as I forgot how to heal.

Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
  #306
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton
 
McSkittlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Why do you regret buying the $20 DLC?

The first pack is a single-player continuation. I bet it's going to be awesome.

The second two are map-packs for Multiplayer - but whatever, I'm sure the multi-player is fun.
I haven't played the game yet but I heard the multiplayer was kind of lame. Also it sucks in todays world we have to pay extra to get a continuation of single player when we already paid $60. Who knows, maybe I won't regret it after all. Hopefully I won't.

McSkittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:35 PM
  #307
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia
Country: United States
Posts: 39,228
vCash: 500
Seems like the devs were more than happy to throw frustrating situations at you. Some of the battles can get very, very desperate. Awesome so far. I'm not really sure how you can be disappointed by this game. It's just so far ahead of anything else storytelling wise. This is another title to file away under 'games as art.' Stop and look around, play it slow and enjoy the scenery. The little details in the dialog. If you run through it fast like it's call of dooty you will be disappointed.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:19 AM
  #308
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Seems like the devs were more than happy to throw frustrating situations at you. Some of the battles can get very, very desperate. Awesome so far. I'm not really sure how you can be disappointed by this game. It's just so far ahead of anything else storytelling wise. This is another title to file away under 'games as art.' Stop and look around, play it slow and enjoy the scenery. The little details in the dialog. If you run through it fast like it's call of dooty you will be disappointed.
The only time I run (or use the "speed burst" is when the story calls for it. When it's a peaceful walk with Ellie, I walk the entire time.

Love this game so much.

I'm at 92% .. I was supposed to go to bed at 11PM (work 12 hours at 8AM), but I'm still up! I'm going to put it down, unfortunately, and finish tomorrow night.

Seriously love Ellie so much. She's just such an amazing character.

The soundtrack is also just incredible.

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:37 AM
  #309
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 19,977
vCash: 420
In the sewers right now, taking another break to just collect myself.

Anyone know if at any point you'll be in combat situations with infected and humans at the same time?

Fire AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:26 AM
  #310
sandman441
Registered User
 
sandman441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ALASKA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
In the sewers right now, taking another break to just collect myself.

Anyone know if at any point you'll be in combat situations with infected and humans at the same time?
havent seen that happen.


Does anybody know if there are multiple endings? If not I kind of feel that should have been added. This isn't usually my type of game but it was ok, It kind of reminded me a little bit of Blue Stinger on Dreamcast (though that game was more like dead rising) at certain parts.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:01 AM
  #311
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Moments of pure chaos between peaceful exploring.

The whole Bill thing has been my favorite so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
The game is siminlar in the sense that the gameplay feels similar but it's really a completely different style of game.

Uncharted was platforming, gunplay, and the odd hand-to-hand fight.

Last of Us is more about sneaking around, hand-to-hand, tactical, etc.

The engines are the same, the "linear" aspect is the same, but the game definitely feels new because it's such a different approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Yes.
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:50 AM
  #312
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 12,237
vCash: 500
Played the first hour or so last night. Opening sequence was actually too horrifying to be enjoyable, I can't handle that ****. Amazingly well done though.

Beating on dudes with 2x4s is ****ing great though.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:59 AM
  #313
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Played the first hour or so last night. Opening sequence was actually too horrifying to be enjoyable, I can't handle that ****. Amazingly well done though.

Beating on dudes with 2x4s is ****ing great though.
I'm not done yet, but there's a lot of parts just as powerful as the opening sequence.

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
  #314
Unholy
kesbae
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,707
vCash: 500
Picked it up Friday after work. Haven't been able to play it yet though, damn 12 hour shifts

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
  #315
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,178
vCash: 50
I was hoping to trade in Far Cry 3 and MLB 13 the show to get it for free at EB Games, but the two nearest ones are sold out. Not even going to bother calling any other stores, they're probably sold out too.
fffuuuuu

__________________

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:38 PM
  #316
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 12,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I was hoping to trade in Far Cry 3 and MLB 13 the show to get it for free at EB Games, but the two nearest ones are sold out. Not even going to bother calling any other stores, they're probably sold out too.
fffuuuuu
Yeah I bought it yesterday evening and there were 4 copies left in the store. Crazy.


Last edited by bathroomSTAAL: 06-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
  #317
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 14,323
vCash: 500
I'm currently in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh.

I don't really know how to evaluate this game right now. It's definitely a good game but I think that all of those 10/10 ratings are ludicrous.

My main gripe has to be with level design. I know it's a linear game, and it's meant to be a linear game, but I think they did a poor job at masking the fact that it's linear, which is where I thought the Uncharted series did an excellent job. There were a lot of portions of the Uncharted games that felt kind of open, even if it was completely linear. This game is just extremely claustrophobic. That can be kind of a good thing sometimes when you are indoors and it can add to the feeling of the game a bit, but a lot of the other times there is just closed or barred door after closed or barred door, inexplicably mixed in with opened doors or doors you can open. And when you're outside, it's car pile-up after car pile-up, or sofas thrown on top of stairs to block your way. It just took a lot out of the immersion of the game for me. I get that it's not exactly an easy thing to fix or change in this world, but the whole level design seemed to lag behind Uncharted for me.

The enemy AI is a pretty big issue for me too. The stealth mechanics don't make a lot of sense, and once you get how to deal with the infected it's a bit too easy. I know a lot of people hate the fact that Ellie and your companions can't be detected by enemies when you're in stealth mode, but, while it does take a bit out of the immersion of the game, it's not enough to outweigh the disaster it would have been to have your companion screwing everything up for you.

Basically everything else about the game is good to great though. The story, voice acting, gameplay mechanics, atmosphere, graphics, and overall production values are top notch as far as video games go.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:58 PM
  #318
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I'm currently in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh.

I don't really know how to evaluate this game right now. It's definitely a good game but I think that all of those 10/10 ratings are ludicrous.

My main gripe has to be with level design. I know it's a linear game, and it's meant to be a linear game, but I think they did a poor job at masking the fact that it's linear, which is where I thought the Uncharted series did an excellent job. There were a lot of portions of the Uncharted games that felt kind of open, even if it was completely linear. This game is just extremely claustrophobic. That can be kind of a good thing sometimes when you are indoors and it can add to the feeling of the game a bit, but a lot of the other times there is just closed or barred door after closed or barred door, inexplicably mixed in with opened doors or doors you can open. And when you're outside, it's car pile-up after car pile-up, or sofas thrown on top of stairs to block your way. It just took a lot out of the immersion of the game for me. I get that it's not exactly an easy thing to fix or change in this world, but the whole level design seemed to lag behind Uncharted for me.

The enemy AI is a pretty big issue for me too. The stealth mechanics don't make a lot of sense, and once you get how to deal with the infected it's a bit too easy. I know a lot of people hate the fact that Ellie and your companions can't be detected by enemies when you're in stealth mode, but, while it does take a bit out of the immersion of the game, it's not enough to outweigh the disaster it would have been to have your companion screwing everything up for you.

Basically everything else about the game is good to great though. The story, voice acting, gameplay mechanics, atmosphere, graphics, and overall production values are top notch as far as video games go.
What difficulty are you playing on? I hear going from Normal to Hard is just ridiculous.

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:03 PM
  #319
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,083
vCash: 500
Man MP can be REALLY intense.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  #320
Gnova
CowboysR^2
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
What difficulty are you playing on? I hear going from Normal to Hard is just ridiculous.
Surviver difficulty has no QTE prompts and the resources are apparently very very rare.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
  #321
Beats By CoRD
I Can Do Trouble
 
Beats By CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sandstone City
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 50
Just got out of the sewers. Man that was crazy. What a sweet game.

The guys who are criticing it IMO play far too many video games. This is the first game on PS3 I've played since MG3 so I'm by no means a gamer, but I know a great game when I play it. This game kicks all kinds of ass.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:49 PM
  #322
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tipplandia
Country: United States
Posts: 39,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I'm currently in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh.
You've seen a small sliver of the gameplay so far. There are several wide open areas as you go through the game.

Spoil:
not done with the game yet but the sam/henry sequence was great

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:31 PM
  #323
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Just finished.

I only have one thing I need to do.

Naughty Dog...

I you, Naughty Dog.

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
  #324
Natey
#feelthelove
 
Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,165
vCash: 500
Hilarious Uncharted Easter Egg in the game;

(I'm going to just post the link, so if you want to see it you can, if you want to try to find it - don't click).

http://i.imgur.com/7ZbyRLa.jpg


Last edited by Natey: 06-16-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:48 PM
  #325
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton
 
McSkittlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
I was finally able to play this game for several hours last night. The opening sequence was amazing. Just hearing runners shriek frightens me, especially when I was using a headset to maximize the sound because I turned off listen mode. The gameplay is similar to the Uncharted games, just in a different setting.

McSkittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.