HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Old
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Spoil:
You don't have to kill a single thug on the way to find Ellie...
But where's the fun in that?

Spoil:
I killed everyone of those SOB's. The only part of game I sneaked was in Bills Town when there was like 6 clickers. Snuck right by. Way too easy and felt like I cheated.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Literally every store that sells video games near me is still out of stock.
I just called 8 places this morning.

This is frustrating.
Go digital. The last physical disc I bought was Assasin's Creed 3.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
But where's the fun in that?

Spoil:
I killed everyone of those SOB's. The only part of game I sneaked was in Bills Town when there was like 6 clickers. Snuck right by. Way too easy and felt like I cheated.
Ya, I always try and take everyone out one by one. I don't like just sneaking past everyone. I want to kill em all in silence.

Old
06-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Go digital. The last physical disc I bought was Assasin's Creed 3.
I like physical copies. I trade in a lot of games which don't have a lot of replay value.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Why trade in The Last of Us? It should be in everyone's collection.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Why trade in The Last of Us? It should be in everyone's collection.
I'm not saying I would, I'm just saying that I prefer physical copies.
Physical copies also allow me to lend the game to friends.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I'm not saying I would, I'm just saying that I prefer physical copies.
Physical copies also allow me to lend the game to friends.
Digital copies also allow you to spilt on the game with 1 friend for the price of one.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Didn't finish it last night as I had hoped. There was this hockey game on that was a little distracting.

I am so close. I am...

Spoil:
...in the Firefly's hospital. I just woke up after being knocked out, and am trying to get to Ellie. Frankly, I am a little disappointed with this section. The runnin and gunnin is my least favourite part of this game (the same way Uncharted's running and gunning bored me).

And did anybody else think "well ****ing duh!", when they told Joel they were about to slice up Ellie for medical research? I mean, WTF did Joel (and Ellie) think was going to happen?! She would just give a blood sample and that would be the end of it? I rolled my eyes hard when Joel got pissed about that...though I haven't finished, so I am hopeful it won't end on such a predictable note.
I think I'm exactly where you are. I tried to power through the rest of the game after the cup game, but left the last half hour or so for tonight.

Spoil:
I just took out the first batch of fireflies. Just used a shiv to get into a room and am completely stocked up. It was about 2 am at this point so figured I enjoy the last moments of the game while I was somewhat awake. About to Murder everyone (hopefully, idk what's coming next.

To sneaking around, I usually sneak around and kill every last one of them, or just duke it out not worring about stealth. But the one time I snuck around everyone was in the tunnel right before the hospital. Two Bloaters, a bunch of clickers and runners....NOPE. I took a few out with my bow though.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Just finished it. That was absolutely gripping.

Spoil:
I did not see that ending coming. I've actually ended up finishing this game feeling like Joel was actually a/the bad guy here. I did not want to kill those doctors. And the way what's her name saved Joel's life, only to have Joel murder her himself, even when he could have let her live. Joel let his selfishness take precedent over humanity. I think what's her name was right when she told Joel "Ellie would have wanted this". She wanted to be the cure. That is what her story about her friends was; her telling Joel that she would have wanted to make that difference for all the people she lost, even if it meant her dying.

Old
06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Spoil:
There are hints all around the game that you aren't a good guy and never have been. At least not since Sarah died. Robert's hired guns are actually more afraid of you and Tess than they are being punished by Robert, for example. "I've been on both sides." And David's perspective.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Actually got a ps3 and finished the game sunday.

Awesome. Gonna try it on survivor.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
As a strictly Xbox 360 player...

I bought a PS3 from Best Buy (You can return for a refund within 15 days). I'm glad they got my 60$ for the game, they deserved it.

I loved this game. The story was great...Not many games can pull that type of emotion out of a game. The game play wasn't amazing but wasn't bad by any means.

Easily would give it a 9/10. Awesome game. Glad I put up the 275$ for a Ps3 for a week just to play it. Totally worth it. I found the Multi-player to be intense too, Didn't think I would enjoy it but it was really fun. Game makes me wish I could justify buying a PS3 for it.

BruinsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:23 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
You have a PS4?!

Seriously though, go buy a PS3. Its not like it isn't worth the money.

Im three of four hours into the game. It is everything it is hyped up to be, and more. I hated the Uncharted games, so I was completely skeptical coming into this one. I wasn't hyped for this game one bit right up until the reviews started streaming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Same

I'm done buying systems for a game or two so it looks like I won't get to play this game unless there's a good PS3 emulator someday

If you have the money...Do like I did...Go buy the system from Best Buy and you have 15 days to return it for a full refund. I don't like Sony at all as I play Xbox and can't justify affording both but I couldn't miss this game...Buy it, beat the game and return the system.

BruinsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Spoil:
There are hints all around the game that you aren't a good guy and never have been. At least not since Sarah died. Robert's hired guns are actually more afraid of you and Tess than they are being punished by Robert, for example. "I've been on both sides." And David's perspective.
Spoil:
Well I knew that. But still, the general idea was that everyone had to do what they had to do. I didn't think it was making it obvious that Joel was that much worse than many others. I mean, even Ellie, who was willing to die for the cure, even she murdered plenty of men herself. And David, his gang were cannibals who ate people that they caught passing through. I don't think killing them should be an indication that Joel is the bad guy.

I would like to know why Joel and his brother had their falling out though. I think it would shed a lot of light on Joel's character (and is a story that is probably fertile ground for a sequel/prequel)

Old
06-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Spoil:
But the one time I snuck around everyone was in the tunnel right before the hospital. Two Bloaters, a bunch of clickers and runners....NOPE. I took a few out with my bow though.
Spoil:
Holy crap I hated that part. I was getting my ass handed to me, and I was being completely stealthy.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Spoil:
Holy crap I hated that part. I was getting my ass handed to me, and I was being completely stealthy.
I really enjoyed that part. A great strategy for taking on groups (if you have the supplies) is to throw a bottle, wait for as many infected to congregate around it as possible, then throw a molotov at the group. And if they don't die from that, use a bomb.

A good tip is to use your items often. Since you can't carry alot of supplies, I often found myself not being able to carry stuff because I was already maxed out.

Old
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I really enjoyed that part. A great strategy for taking on groups (if you have the supplies) is to throw a bottle, wait for as many infected to congregate around it as possible, then throw a molotov at the group. And if they don't die from that, use a bomb.

A good tip is to use your items often. Since you can't carry alot of supplies, I often found myself not being able to carry stuff because I was already maxed out.
You play on easy or medium? Hard doesn't have items anywhere and Survivor is even worse.

Old
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Quote:

Spoil:
I did not see that ending coming. I've actually ended up finishing this game feeling like Joel was actually a/the bad guy here. I did not want to kill those doctors. And the way what's her name saved Joel's life, only to have Joel murder her himself, even when he could have let her live. Joel let his selfishness take precedent over humanity. I think what's her name was right when she told Joel "Ellie would have wanted this". She wanted to be the cure. That is what her story about her friends was; her telling Joel that she would have wanted to make that difference for all the people she lost, even if it meant her dying.
Spoil:
You killed all the doctors? I just killed the one who reached for the gun and the others just coward by the wall.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Spoil:
Well I knew that. But still, the general idea was that everyone had to do what they had to do. I didn't think it was making it obvious that Joel was that much worse than many others. I mean, even Ellie, who was willing to die for the cure, even she murdered plenty of men herself. And David, his gang were cannibals who ate people that they caught passing through. I don't think killing them should be an indication that Joel is the bad guy.

I would like to know why Joel and his brother had their falling out though. I think it would shed a lot of light on Joel's character (and is a story that is probably fertile ground for a sequel/prequel)
Spoil:
No way - I do not agree whatsoever. There was no way that Ellie knew, beforehand, that they were going to kill her to try to find a cure. A cure that was nearly impossible to get around and would probably have put the Fireflies in ridiculous power. After, she definitely felt bad because of everyone who died from the disease, but I still don't think she wanted to die - this was proven when she accepted Joel's lie at face value. She could have easily turned around and gone back by herself. We'd just watched her decimate an entire town of Hunters less than 2 hours before the ending.

Old
06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Spoil:
No way - I do not agree whatsoever. There was no way that Ellie knew, beforehand, that they were going to kill her to try to find a cure. A cure that was nearly impossible to get around and would probably have put the Fireflies in ridiculous power. After, she definitely felt bad because of everyone who died from the disease, but I still don't think she wanted to die - this was proven when she accepted Joel's lie at face value. She could have easily turned around and gone back by herself. We'd just watched her decimate an entire town of Hunters less than 2 hours before the ending.
Spoil:
I don't know if I'd be so sure about that. You may be right about her not knowing prior to getting to the hospital, even though it had to have crossed her mind, but who knows if she knew or discussed it with Marlene just prior to being prepped for surgery (though I would agree that it is unlikely, but not definitive). Marlene does point out to Joel what Ellie would want, and Joel's ultimate sin in the whole scenario is the fact that he takes her choice out of the equation, which is also something you could argue the Fireflies doing depending on your take, but you don't know either way, only that Joel absolutely doesn't give her a say.

Joel's lie to Ellie is that they found out while she was out that they didn't need her anymore. Obviously Ellie doesn't buy this, but even in your scenario she can still turn back, she can in any scenario because she knows Joel is lying, but doesn't. It is an 'it is what it is' attitude and could be the fact that she feels for Joel's affection towards her and is selfishly clinging to her own affections for Joel. These two characters aren't very different. Their similarities are glaring.

She could have changed her mind after the lie, not to mention after Joel took her away and the obvious bridges that he burned to do so. They are essentially fugitives from all of humanity now, they literally are the last of us. Any human they come into contact with that learns the truth will essentially want to harm and kill her, no different from any infected.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
Literally every store that sells video games near me is still out of stock.
I just called 8 places this morning.

This is frustrating.
Was the same way for me, until Hawkguy recommended I check out Toys R Us, they had a couple of copies. Never got to thank you but thanks, Hawkguy, your protip really helped

Beat the game. Really was one of the best video game experiences this gen. I think at this point, if you don't have a ps3 (I just recently bought it a few months back), playing Heavy Rain, MGS4, Uncharted 1,2,3, and Last of us makes it worth buying one at the price its at right now.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:23 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Spoil:
I don't know if I'd be so sure about that. You may be right about her not knowing prior to getting to the hospital, even though it had to have crossed her mind, but who knows if she knew or discussed it with Marlene just prior to being prepped for surgery (though I would agree that it is unlikely, but not definitive). Marlene does point out to Joel what Ellie would want, and Joel's ultimate sin in the whole scenario is the fact that he takes her choice out of the equation, which is also something you could argue the Fireflies doing depending on your take, but you don't know either way, only that Joel absolutely doesn't give her a say.

Joel's lie to Ellie is that they found out while she was out that they didn't need her anymore. Obviously Ellie doesn't buy this, but even in your scenario she can still turn back, she can in any scenario because she knows Joel is lying, but doesn't. It is an 'it is what it is' attitude and could be the fact that she feels for Joel's affection towards her and is selfishly clinging to her own affections for Joel. These two characters aren't very different. Their similarities are glaring.

She could have changed her mind after the lie, not to mention after Joel took her away and the obvious bridges that he burned to do so. They are essentially fugitives from all of humanity now, they literally are the last of us. Any human they come into contact with that learns the truth will essentially want to harm and kill her, no different from any infected.
Spoil:
I don't think Tommy will turn on them. Even though we aren't given a full backstory - Tommy seemed as if he was already a Firefly and went a different route. Not to mention Joel (along with Tommy and a few randoms) saved the city from an attack. I'm 100% certain that they'll have his back no matter what.

It also seemed to me as if the Fireflies were dying out. How many more of them are their that 1) are going to know that Joel did it and 2) that will know where he is? As far as Hunters are concerned, it doesn't matter whether he burned bridges or not because they don't seem very welcoming.

As for as Ellie goes - the way Naughty Dog explains that Ellie knew something wasn't right (knew that Joel was lying) leads me to believe she had no clue she was about to be murdered. The way I played the game, I only killed the infected and people who attacked/threatened me first (well except the last two doctors lol, whoops, my emotions took over). Joel was definitely a mass murderer, but he only did it to protect himself and his "family."

Her Survivor's Guilt, as far as my interpretation, is that they went all this way for nothing. However, when Joel reassures her about everything (that she knows is a lie), she realizes that it wasn't all for nothing because Joel isn't going to abandon her like he was previously going to. She accepts the lie because even though she's upset from all the people she lost and that there's no cure, Joel is her family and she doesn't want to lose him too. But I still believe she'd have been against dying. I really do.

**** man, I love games like this. Games that make you think and games that every single person that plays it can interpret it differently. It makes for interesting conversation and that's when you know a company has created a masterpiece.

Naughty Dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Spoil:
You killed all the doctors? I just killed the one who reached for the gun and the others just coward by the wall.
Spoil:
LOL!! I killed the first doctor.. the other two cowered under the table and pleaded for their lives.. I was about to pick up Ellie, when I just said.. **** YOU FIREFLIES and I burnt those *****es to ash!! lol I raged in real life, that's how much this game effected me - don't touch my Ellie!

Old
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Spoil:
I don't think Tommy will turn on them. Even though we aren't given a full backstory - Tommy seemed as if he was already a Firefly and went a different route. Not to mention Joel (along with Tommy and a few randoms) saved the city from an attack. I'm 100% certain that they'll have his back no matter what.

It also seemed to me as if the Fireflies were dying out. How many more of them are their that 1) are going to know that Joel did it and 2) that will know where he is? As far as Hunters are concerned, it doesn't matter whether he burned bridges or not because they don't seem very welcoming.

As for as Ellie goes - the way Naughty Dog explains that Ellie knew something wasn't right (knew that Joel was lying) leads me to believe she had no clue she was about to be murdered. The way I played the game, I only killed the infected and people who attacked/threatened me first (well except the last two doctors lol, whoops, my emotions took over). Joel was definitely a mass murderer, but he only did it to protect himself and his "family."

Her Survivor's Guilt, as far as my interpretation, is that they went all this way for nothing. However, when Joel reassures her about everything (that she knows is a lie), she realizes that it wasn't all for nothing because Joel isn't going to abandon her like he was previously going to. She accepts the lie because even though she's upset from all the people she lost and that there's no cure, Joel is her family and she doesn't want to lose him too. But I still believe she'd have been against dying. I really do.

**** man, I love games like this. Games that make you think and games that every single person that plays it can interpret it differently. It makes for interesting conversation and that's when you know a company has created a masterpiece.

Naughty Dog...
Spoil:
Sure they have allies now, but will they always? What if Tommy's new wife gets infected? What if they have a child and that child becomes infected? What's to stop him from doing anything different than what Joel did? An expansion could be Tommy's wife announcing to him that she's pregnant, then getting bitten, Tommy learns there is a Firefly camp nearby and then kidnaps Ellie to take to the camp while Joel chases in pursuit, etc...

The only person that unconditionally loves her right now is Joel. Anyone else that learns that she is supposedly the key of ending all suffering from infection is going to have to be considered a hostile. Naughty Dog also pointed out that their zombies still hold their old selves within them. They still have conscious thoughts and awareness however they can't control themselves and spasm around. What if Ellie's vaccine can reverse the effects? There would be massive support to end her life as many would be looking to save ones they thought they had lost.

If you didn't have the story we were privy to and get to know Ellie how we did, there would be insane motivation to harm the girl. Not just the fireflies, but all mankind. Even though, in all likeliness, there is a percentage of the population that is likely immune and it probably doesn't all rest with just Ellie.

As for bridges, what I was alluding to is that Joel didn't exterminate the camp, and there is likely someone there with knowledge of them, and the fact that she is so important, would likely spread the word in every way they can to have them re-captured. Regardless, Ellie has to know that the Fireflies are now hostiles. This won't end with a pat on the head and a nice syringe to a peaceful demise.

As for Ellie herself, she is a bright girl and knows that Joel is lying, that she was taken abruptly from the hospital in her gown, and will soon hear the rumors spread of her, Joel, and the whispers of a cure or them seeking a man and a young girl. She knows Joel didn't drive her out of the hospital in her gown if all they needed was a blood sample. It's inevitable that she'd find out if she didn't already know, but also there is more than enough evidence there for her to realize that she was in danger and Joel is devoted to her now.

As for her not wanting to die, nobody does, but it is extremely hard to justify surviving when your death would mean life for so many people. She may not want to die, but she was never really given the choice either way, and if she was, how can you predict she would be selfish and choose life? It's a different scenario now with the Fireflies and likely all of humanity looking to lop off her head, but if she were given the choice back in that operating room, who knows... Obviously she knows she was in danger, Joel is lying, and she has the option of going back, but she is sticking with Joel now, the game has changed and Joel has played his hand. I am sure in the expansion, Ellie will play her own.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
You play on easy or medium? Hard doesn't have items anywhere and Survivor is even worse.
On survivor the crafting items are incredibly rare.

Gathering up enough supplies to make a health pack is a luxury.
I'm at about 70% and think I have crafted 5 or 6 total and I search pretty thoroughly for stuff.

On my normal+ run I always had three of everything and a full supply inventory.
On Survivor+ I have never been able to make a molotov or frag grenade.

It really is a different game (I like the normal game better where you can actually afford to use your guns and crafted items).

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Spoil:
Sure they have allies now, but will they always? What if Tommy's new wife gets infected? What if they have a child and that child becomes infected? What's to stop him from doing anything different than what Joel did? An expansion could be Tommy's wife announcing to him that she's pregnant, then getting bitten, Tommy learns there is a Firefly camp nearby and then kidnaps Ellie to take to the camp while Joel chases in pursuit, etc...

The only person that unconditionally loves her right now is Joel. Anyone else that learns that she is supposedly the key of ending all suffering from infection is going to have to be considered a hostile. Naughty Dog also pointed out that their zombies still hold their old selves within them. They still have conscious thoughts and awareness however they can't control themselves and spasm around. What if Ellie's vaccine can reverse the effects? There would be massive support to end her life as many would be looking to save ones they thought they had lost.

If you didn't have the story we were privy to and get to know Ellie how we did, there would be insane motivation to harm the girl. Not just the fireflies, but all mankind. Even though, in all likeliness, there is a percentage of the population that is likely immune and it probably doesn't all rest with just Ellie.

As for bridges, what I was alluding to is that Joel didn't exterminate the camp, and there is likely someone there with knowledge of them, and the fact that she is so important, would likely spread the word in every way they can to have them re-captured. Regardless, Ellie has to know that the Fireflies are now hostiles. This won't end with a pat on the head and a nice syringe to a peaceful demise.

As for Ellie herself, she is a bright girl and knows that Joel is lying, that she was taken abruptly from the hospital in her gown, and will soon hear the rumors spread of her, Joel, and the whispers of a cure or them seeking a man and a young girl. She knows Joel didn't drive her out of the hospital in her gown if all they needed was a blood sample. It's inevitable that she'd find out if she didn't already know, but also there is more than enough evidence there for her to realize that she was in danger and Joel is devoted to her now.

As for her not wanting to die, nobody does, but it is extremely hard to justify surviving when your death would mean life for so many people. She may not want to die, but she was never really given the choice either way, and if she was, how can you predict she would be selfish and choose life? It's a different scenario now with the Fireflies and likely all of humanity looking to lop off her head, but if she were given the choice back in that operating room, who knows... Obviously she knows she was in danger, Joel is lying, and she has the option of going back, but she is sticking with Joel now, the game has changed and Joel has played his hand. I am sure in the expansion, Ellie will play her own.
I don't have time right now to respond to all of this but...

Spoil:
The DLC is apparently a side story from within their story not a continuation. It was something they wanted to add, but didn't have time to add before release.

“(It’s) a little side story that we think is going to add more to what you’ve experienced, though it’s still (in the) early days.”