HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Old
02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Trap Jesus

vCash: 500
Damn. Ah well, if they expand upon this universe, that would seem like a logical direction to go.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Best. Game. Ever.

The DLC was incredible. I hate that it was so short, but it was just so damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Yes, she's a lesbian.

"Or is it just one of those things girls do sometimes" is such an ignorant comment...
Spoil:
It's ignorant to call her a lesbian too, isn't it? That's not to say she isn't, but she was born in a different society than the one we live in. She may be a lesbian, she may be bisexual, she may be straight, she may be whatever. We don't really know. All we know is that she cared for Riley more than anyone else and she doesn't have anyone else. It's likely why she took such a liking to Joel after spending so much time with him. She's 13-years-old living in an apocalypse. If some people are confused in the society we live in now, I can just imagine how confusing everything might be when your face might get eaten every step you take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Just watched a playthrough of this DLC on YouTube. I figure that since I know the gameplay mechanics so well, just seeing the story is good enough for me.

Spoil:
I give Naughty Dog credit for doing something a bit different than most with this DLC. The Ellie/Riley parts were essentially pure exposition, which is rare to see so much of in games, let alone a DLC. Yeah, you had your puzzle and fighting parts thrown into the mix at the mall, but they kept it fresh by the way in which it was presented. I don't think the parts at the mall added much if anything to the DLC, but I understand why they did it.

Only real complaint is that that the writing between Ellie and Riley was a bit too cutesy for my liking. The writing in the main game never came across to me that way, even though it was so dramatic. I get it's a different dynamic writing a conversation between two teenage girls, but they went a bit overboard with it IMO. Still, the lit-up mall was a great setting for this DLC and contrasted nicely with the mall future-Ellie was in to set up the flashbacks. The end was well done as well.

I'd have to think a backstory for Joel is in the works, which I'm excited for.
Spoil:
The parts at the mall made a ton a sense. We were getting a story of how Ellie lost the most important person in her life. She had no idea how to deal with the apocalypse and because of that, she lost her best friend. Now, a year into the future, she's on the verge of losing the most important person in her life again, and she's not going to let it happen this time.

It was two fantastic pieces of the story merged together with some fantastic storytelling.

As for being cutesy. Ellie is in an apocalypse, but she's also barricaded off. She doesn't see as much of it as you'd think. And I'm sure she's been best friends with Riley forever - so they've always had a close bond.

As for Joel? You got his backstory in the main game. The only other backstory you'll get is when the undoubtedly make a sequel because Naughty Dog doesn't have to worry about screwing up sequels. They just get better.

Last edited by Natey: 02-18-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 05:57 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Best. Game. Ever.

The DLC was incredible. I hate that it was so short, but it was just so damn good.

Spoil:
It's ignorant to call her a lesbian too, isn't it? That's not to say she isn't, but she was born in a different society than the one we live in. She may be a lesbian, she may be bisexual, she may be straight, she may be whatever. We don't really know. All we know is that she cared for Riley more than anyone else and she doesn't have anyone else. It's likely why she took such a liking to Joel after spending so much time with him. She's 13-years-old living in an apocalypse. If some people are confused in the society we live in now, I can just imagine how confusing everything might be when your face might get eaten every step you take.

The devs confirmed it.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/14...nd-spoilercast

My Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Spoil:
I don't know if I missed it, but I didn't hear any confirmation.

I basically heard what I said. She was in love with Riley in a romantic sense. Doesn't mean she only loves girls, doesn't mean she doesn't love guys, etc.

It basically feels like Riley is the one one she's ever been close to, so she's in love. The society and world have changed so much, that who really knows. Again, she's only 13 (then again, 13 in this society might be similar to 50 in our current society, lol). She's a a young girl who developed a strong emotional connection with another kid who happened to be a girl - in a world where she didn't have much. I see it more as this is the only person who has ever been close to her.. wouldn't have mattered if it was a guy or girl - unless I flat out missed a line in your video.

To be honest though, I don't even know why I'm debating this with you. The story was absolutely adorable and heart touching regardless of what we're talking about it.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Spoil:
I don't know if I missed it, but I didn't hear any confirmation.

I basically heard what I said. She was in love with Riley in a romantic sense. Doesn't mean she only loves girls, doesn't mean she doesn't love guys, etc.

It basically feels like Riley is the one one she's ever been close to, so she's in love. The society and world have changed so much, that who really knows. Again, she's only 13 (then again, 13 in this society might be similar to 50 in our current society, lol). She's a a young girl who developed a strong emotional connection with another kid who happened to be a girl - in a world where she didn't have much. I see it more as this is the only person who has ever been close to her.. wouldn't have mattered if it was a guy or girl - unless I flat out missed a line in your video.

To be honest though, I don't even know why I'm debating this with you. The story was absolutely adorable and heart touching regardless of what we're talking about it.
Yeah.. I think it's better we don't have this conversation.

My Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Yeah.. I think it's better we don't have this conversation.
Yeah - neither of us will be right anyway. Naughty Dog never confirms anything cause they're trolls and like people arguing.

Like I said though, the story was amazing and I wouldn't change it in anyway. Main story + DLC will be the best thing I ever play..... until Uncharted 4.

Old
02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

FWIW Amazon has doc that you can get for free on the making of The Last of US called Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us. I don't know how long it'll be free for but it's for free today 2/19

according to http://kotaku.com/50-of-the-best-mov...als-1525922203 after you watch it you get a free $1 mp3 credit as well.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Played the DLC again. So freaking good. It feels a little different (well some of it) than the main story, but it's amazing anyway. Love it and am going to play it as part of my story in my next playthrough.

In case any Xbox users followed the original game without playing, here's the complete DLC in video format. The guy who played breezed through it for the story, if you actually spend your time doing all the dialogue and exploring, it'd be about double the length.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Spawn

I enjoyed the DLC. Pretty short for 15 dollars though. Not quite sure it was worth the money. Nice little addition to the already great game though.

Spawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

Sony Is Making A Last of Us Movie

Quote:

One might wonder: how the hell do you turn a game as cinematic as The Last of Us into a movie? One will keep wondering. Sony's doing it, working alongside Naughty Dog and Screen Gems to make their PS3 hit into a film.

Naughty Dog bosses Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra are teaming up with Evil Dead director Sam Raimi for the film, and The Last of Us directors Neil Druckmann and Bruce Staley will be involved as well. No word on a plot just yet, other than the logline from Deadline:

Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity. The game has won numerous awards and has been a big seller since its release last summer.

So, um, it's The Last of Us? I guess we shall see.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
There already was a movie on The Last of Us, it was called The Last of Us... I mean seriously, they've already done it. Is it going to be a remake? Because everyone who would be interested in the film knows the plot twists. If it is just a sidetrack in the same universe then they have to be literary geniuses to make that interesting. Also, if they don't get Ellen Page in the movie they might as well cancel production now...

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
There already was a movie on The Last of Us, it was called The Last of Us... I mean seriously, they've already done it. Is it going to be a remake? Because everyone who would be interested in the film knows the plot twists. If it is just a sidetrack in the same universe then they have to be literary geniuses to make that interesting. Also, if they don't get Ellen Page in the movie they might as well cancel production now...
I doubt they are planning to get most of the gaming community (though they will get some), but a "zombie" movie by Sam Raimi should be able to draw some money from the non-gaming community.

Old
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Trap Jesus

Uncharted seems like a better fit for the big screen and it would be easier to come up with unique ideas separate from the games, although I guess they might be wary of it being compared to Indiana Jones. Raimi doing TLoU seems like an odd fit. Not a movie you'd expect to be made very campy like you'd have to think Raimi will do.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Sloth Slothersons*

Wasn't Seth Rogen or Judd Apatow or someone already approached by Naughty Dog to make the movie, and he basically said it would just end up being Indiana Jones.

I think that happened...

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote