HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will replace Bolland?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Hawks next shutdown center?
McNeil 1 3.13%
Danault 6 18.75%
Bolland 20 62.50%
Other 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
For those that dont want Bolland anymore, who plays the tough mins against the other teams top players?

Toews? Ok..say goodbye to his good offensive totals
Kane? LOL
Sharp? Say hello to a higher GA
Kruger? See Sharp but x10
Mayers? See Kane

There is no replacement by the time Bollands contract is done.

Bolland does the dirty work and gets no love

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
For those that dont want Bolland anymore, who plays the tough mins against the other teams top players?

Toews? Ok..say goodbye to his good offensive totals
Kane? LOL
Sharp? Say hello to a higher GA
Kruger? See Sharp but x10
Mayers? See Kane

There is no replacement by the time Bollands contract is done.

Bolland does the dirty work and gets no love
Bolland is a FA in 2014 ,, Saying there is no replacement by that time is your opinion. Unless you can see into future ,, Can you see into future?

Bolland's D has been brutal at times these past 2 years and his offense is streaky. He is also horrendous at the faceoff circle (Something a checking C should excel at)

He has long history of injuries to add into things.. When his contract is up he will be UFA and will be getting overpaid by someone and that Someone better not be the Hawks

We all love the positives that Bolland has brought , But he also has plenty of negatives and once that contract is up the Hawks would be foolish to give him more $$$ and another longterm contract

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bolland is a FA in 2014 ,, Saying there is no replacement by that time is your opinion. Unless you can see into future ,, Can you see into future?

Bolland's D has been brutal at times these past 2 years and his offense is streaky. He is also horrendous at the faceoff circle (Something a checking C should excel at)

He has long history of injuries to add into things.. When his contract is up he will be UFA and will be getting overpaid by someone and that Someone better not be the Hawks

We all love the positives that Bolland has brought , But he also has plenty of negatives and once that contract is up the Hawks would be foolish to give him more $$$ and another longterm contract
As long as his 'negatives' come in the regular season and he brings it in the playoffs, I'm ok with Bolly as he is. He needs more guys to step up with him in the playoffs.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Bollands positives far out weigh his negatives.

48% is not horrendous at the dot.

And no, I cant see into the future, but to assume that a prospect (or Kruger LOL) who hasn't even touched NHL ice will be able to replace what Bolland does is far more foolish.

Bolland is the best 3rd line C in the league, have fun trying to replace him with someone cheaper and better in 2 years.

Also, Bolland has been playing with scrubs both offensively and defensively for the last 2 years, he deserves some slack for that.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:20 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
He's not skilled enough to play in the top six, too small to be the Hawks third line center and doesn't hit enough to be on the fourth line. I like Bolland as a player, I just don't see where he slots into this team.
I got the joke goonery, even if nobody else did : )

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I got the joke goonery, even if nobody else did : )
The big hint was when he said "too small."

I'm not even sure massive would say Gary Coleman was too small.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hawkaholic

Bah, guess I never pay enough attention to know when hes kidding.

Old
09-06-2012, 09:24 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Bolland means as much in the playoffs as any Hawk and is good in the regular season. They should sign him to one of those 6 year extensions going around.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:01 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Bolland means as much in the playoffs as any Hawk and is good in the regular season. They should sign him to one of those 6 year extensions going around.
maybe. but we have to start pulling players out from the prospect heap. we have a lot of guys with nhl potential - and we need to either play them or trade them. ... and if we play them then they're going to be taking spots in the top 6 (or top 9).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bolland can't be replaced. Only way he gets replaced would be with a career ending injury or he has to play as #2

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

The Hawks are already thin at center. We need this guy.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:46 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Ya, hes terrible as a 3rd line C.

Where do you come up with this.

Bolland is so underrated on here its ridiculous.
Woosh.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 08:49 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He'll be a Hawk for at least two more years. By then we might have a prospect to replace him, or maybe we trade some of those prospects for a third line center in his prime.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
maybe. but we have to start pulling players out from the prospect heap. we have a lot of guys with nhl potential - and we need to either play them or trade them. ... and if we play them then they're going to be taking spots in the top 6 (or top 9).
Or we can have outstanding forward depth again and have Morin, Jayes, McNeil, Danault, be a major part of our bottom six? If not, if they end up in our top 6 somehow in the next two years then that's fine too. Either way, no reason to trade them.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
hockeydoug

Bolland is an excellent 3rd line center, and the Hawks are better with him in the playoffs. As far as him being the best in the league, he's not healthy enough often enough to get that title.

I'm very skeptical that the Hawks have been better off in the standings the last two years because they kept him. As the Hawks are constructed now, I think he has to be kept around, but a I think he's the first player that has to be traded if they have a first round exit again or a disappointing showing in the standings.

He just hasn't improved enough for me and I think he's worth more in a trade than he actually is because of his age, experience, and his contract. Most of his defensive exploits in the postseason have been duplicated by other players. I think he's had way too much of a free pass the last two years, especially considering the hammering Keith, Kane, and Hjalmarsson have had by so many among the fans and media.

My opinion is that he's already peaked and his injury risk makes him a bad gamble for this team if he gets a long term extension next year (or the next). He's a quality player and he will be very difficult to replace in the postseason, but given the results of the last 2 years, I think it's a trade more likely to help the Hawks short and long term depending on how this year finishes (whenever it starts).

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Its pretty funny if you think about how many times we have had this same debate about Bolland and his future with Hawks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:05 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Or we can have outstanding forward depth again and have Morin, Jayes, McNeil, Danault, be a major part of our bottom six? If not, if they end up in our top 6 somehow in the next two years then that's fine too. Either way, no reason to trade them.
It depends how good they are - I'd rather trade prospects with high value and get something good in return than put them in the bottom 6 b/c there's no room elsewhere. With that said, they might not all be top 6 players...

It might all work itself out though...b/c Hossa and Sharp are getting older and there is some room in the top three lines as it is.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Bolland is an excellent 3rd line center, and the Hawks are better with him in the playoffs. As far as him being the best in the league, he's not healthy enough often enough to get that title.

I'm very skeptical that the Hawks have been better off in the standings the last two years because they kept him.
Who's the best 3rd line C then???

Bolland playing with scrubs for the last 3 years is a big reason why he hasn't improved muich offensively, and he can only do so much defensively with those scrubs.

Quote:
Its pretty funny if you think about how many times we have had this same debate about Bolland and his future with Hawks
There should be no debate, he should be here because he's one of few forwards on this team that knows how to play defense and still score/assist some goals.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Bolland is the best 3rd line C in the league, Sutter probably 2nd.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Who's the best 3rd line C then???

Bolland playing with scrubs for the last 3 years is a big reason why he hasn't improved muich offensively, and he can only do so much defensively with those scrubs.

There should be no debate, he should be here because he's one of few forwards on this team that knows how to play defense and still score/assist some goals.
The best 3c depends on the roster and circumstances. He's in a role, and I'm not sure he's in that same role on other rosters around the league. LA, Pit, and Det and a couple others had options I would have preferred at 3C. If Bolland is an elite 3c, then he should be a 2c like some of those others. His health and bad stretches in all zones and special teams keeps me from calling him the best at anything in the game.

While he has played with weak players up front, he's had one of the best defensive pairs in the league on the ice with him most of the time too. He's also been playing against some defensively challenged units against him too the last couple seasons, so I think the production thing is largely a wash unless he went to the first line.

He is one of the best defensive players on the Hawks, no question about it. My larger point is that his value in a trade is higher than his value on the roster the last 2 years and that may hold true again at some point later this year or next offseason. This year they have to keep him. I'll always want him for the postseason, but I've been very indifferent about how badly I wanted him on the roster during the regular season.

Bolland cannot be replaced, he is a very high quality player, I hope my criticism of him is not taken the wrong way. His negatives are often offset because of his playoff and big game performances. All that said, I think there are scenarios where the Hawks become much better and more likely to win games by trading him even knowing he can't be replaced when he's 100% and motivated. He's very easy to replace when he's not in a big game or completely healthy.

Since they can't trade him (without getting a better center back) right now, this is just spinning wheels I guess.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:56 PM
xX Hot Fuss

This is getting a little off topic. Who is more capable (most likely) of being the Hawks next shutdown center? Assuming Bolland leaves, gets traded, gets bumped up to ] 2C, or gets injured.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
This is getting a little off topic. Who is more capable (most likely) of being the Hawks next shutdown center? Assuming Bolland leaves, gets traded, gets bumped up to ] 2C, or gets injured.
It sounds like Danault is being groomed for that position.

If not Danault, then I'd say Kruger. Marcus already has solid defensive instincts, and is already a lot like Bolland in his own right. Obviously he's several steps behind Dave, but aside from Bolland being slightly grittier -- and of course way more agitating -- I see a lot of similarities in their defensive play.

I don't see a huge shutdown upside for McNeill. I don't think he's a slouch defensively, but I don't really see him shutting down guys at the highest level either.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
This is a semi-spin of what I was going to say.

I like Bolland, and I'm not advocating moving him or anything of the sort, but I ask this question; how many people in here (or anywhere) knew Dave Bolland would become the Dave Bolland we now know when he was in his prospect stage of his career in the Blackhawks organization? No one? Thought so.

Point being, we didn't know that even Dave Bolland would become Dave Bolland, so how people can so assuredly say there's no one in the organization now that could replace him in two years kind of astounds me. I'm not saying anyone will be able to, but I also won't say there isn't anyone who could either. Two years is a LONG time. We should know that as well as any fanbase. Think of the two years leading up to winning the Cup. Players developed and popped up ahead of the curve and outta no where, Bolland being one of them. To just simply dismiss a current prospect(s) doing the same thing is foolish. To assume it is also foolish, but to just dismiss it and act that it absolutely won't happen is simply dumb.

As this team's constructed, he's a vital part and would leave a huge hole if he's out due to injury, trade, whatever. Barring some unforeseen deal in the future, he should remain a Hawk for the remainder of his current contract at the very least. We'll see where things are at in two years with the roster, how prospects have developed, who's been signed/traded for between now and then, etc. To speculate any more than that now is just shots in the dark. Too far down the road for me.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
I'd rather not assume Bolland will leave. Honestly, he seems to be the player above all others that loves playing for the Hawks and playing in Chicago. If any guy will sign less to stay here (and let's be honest, none have yet) it will be Bolland.

If Danault comes in at some point and has sicko 3rd line center written all over him...then fine, move Bolland to be the #2 center.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I'd rather not assume Bolland will leave. Honestly, he seems to be the player above all others that loves playing for the Hawks and playing in Chicago. If any guy will sign less to stay here (and let's be honest, none have yet) it will be Bolland.

If Danault comes in at some point and has sicko 3rd line center written all over him...then fine, move Bolland to be the #2 center.
You don't think any of the core players that have been extended would've have gotten more money on the open market? I do.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote