HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Is there really anyone here who was against giving Schultz a max contract? Can't remember anyone saying that we shouldn't but people keep bringing it up.
There were several anti-give-Schultz-a-contract folks, yes.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Smith has played 14 games. 39 players drafted below Smith have played more games than Smith,.
Wow, that is really a staggering number. 39 players. The life of a Red Wing prospect lol. If I was him I'd be sick of GR too.

Quote:
When I watch Smith, I see a lot of Kyle Quincey. Hopefully he turns out better, and I think he will. But I think Smith is always going to have issues surrounding his game.
It's not even really close. Smith is way better than Quincey was at age 23. Smith will be way better than Quincey is right now when he is 27. Not too worried about him.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Smith's also played more games than 7 of the 26 guys picked ahead of him.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Not really, there were several, he can except the max offer but it is two way and if he doesn't nail it in camp he goes to Grand Rapids folks. That is a big difference, most people were interested in giving Schultz a contract, not as many in bending to Schultz's every desire. I mostly was afraid of how much it would upset the other guys on the Wings that did it the Red Wings way and then they just give this guy a spot. I will think the same thing with DeKeyser next year, he can sign, but he has to earn his spot.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Who though? People keep saying there were people to support their argument but I never saw it and no one has said they were in that camp

Old
10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Who though? People keep saying there were people to support their argument but I never saw it and no one has said they were in that camp
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1196363

Here's the thread.

Looking through it quickly, seems like most want the kid signed but some not IF the only way to sign him is to give him guaranteed top4-mins and pp time and so on.

edit. Almost every proposal also has innocently Suter swooped in to those D-pairings.. hurts just to see that.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 10-25-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 10:08 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I guess, for one, I don't believe that 4 games in the AHL this season is anything to get antsy about.
Smith is who Smith is. He's a hot dog. He's undisciplined.
I never bought into the hype that he was a surefire top pairing guy in the first place.

I think it's absolutely ludicrous to expect Smith to be going at 100 percent in the AHL at this point.

He's 23. He should have been in the NHL a year ago, if not before. He's probably sick of the AHL.
He was drafted in 2007.
Other guys drafted in 07? Patrick Kane. Who scored a Stanley Cup winning goal 3 seasons ago -- to give you an idea of how slow the Wings have brought him along.
David Perron- drafted the pick before Smith. A guy who has been in the league so long that he's already suffered a substantial injury -- To give you an idea of how quickly this could all end for Smith, before he's even established himself as an NHLer.
Smith has played 14 games. 39 players drafted below Smith have played more games than Smith,.

When I watch Smith, I see a lot of Kyle Quincey. Hopefully he turns out better, and I think he will. But I think Smith is always going to have issues surrounding his game.

His work ethic in the AHL, at this point in his career, is not an issue for me.
He knows he's an NHLer now.

If he gets tot he NHL and plays disinterested hockey, I'll be concerned.
If he were on his way to being a great NHL defenseman, he'd be busting his ass no matter what level of competition he's facing. So I guess that's where it starts for me - the idea that he's already ruled out greatness because he doesn't feel like it.

Will he work hard enough to be good? Passable? We don't really know. I'm not happy about it though. Like I said - Kronwall was an NHLer in 04-05, and he went out there and absolutely owned the AHL. That's what I wanted to see from Smith. The least he could do is hustle.

If there are times when he'll be interested in playing hard and times when he's not, then I already know something about his work ethic, and it worries me.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
TNigs

So by all these comments on Smith Landon Ferraro is a superstar right? He's got 2 assists in four games and is a +1. let the season get going before everyone jumps on this kid.
Zetterberg starts off slow every season and everyone says what is wrong with this guy, is his back broken, this guy should retire, trade him for someone.
Jesus the season just started you'd think Smith has gone pointless in 20 games and is a -50. Stop whining and saying he's never going to make it in the NHL.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNigs View Post
So by all these comments on Smith Landon Ferraro is a superstar right? He's got 2 assists in four games and is a +1. let the season get going before everyone jumps on this kid.
Zetterberg starts off slow every season and everyone says what is wrong with this guy, is his back broken, this guy should retire, trade him for someone.
Jesus the season just started you'd think Smith has gone pointless in 20 games and is a -50. Stop whining and saying he's never going to make it in the NHL.
Overreact much?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:56 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If he were on his way to being a great NHL defenseman, he'd be busting his ass no matter what level of competition he's facing. So I guess that's where it starts for me - the idea that he's already ruled out greatness because he doesn't feel like it.

Will he work hard enough to be good? Passable? We don't really know. I'm not happy about it though. Like I said - Kronwall was an NHLer in 04-05, and he went out there and absolutely owned the AHL. That's what I wanted to see from Smith. The least he could do is hustle.

If there are times when he'll be interested in playing hard and times when he's not, then I already know something about his work ethic, and it worries me.
I just don't agree.
First of all, Kronwall was pressed into action as a rookie in Detroit and looked promising. But he was actually only in GR for 25 games before the lockout.

So he wasn't going back down for Year 3 after proving he was ready.

Take Jon Ericsson. He was good in 06-07, was really good in 07-08. AThen we sent him down again and the reviews were that he regressed in GR in 08-09.

Jakub Kindl. First year 17 points. Shows great improvement in year two with 6 goals and 33 points. Next year, he puts up 33 points but only 3 goals, and people have low reviews of him

Kyle Quincey seemed to regress in GR.

I remember Helm got called up and looked great for the Red Wings in the SCF. He goes back down to GR and people said he looked off his game.

I am not worried if a guy like Smith, at nearly 24 years old, isn't all that excited about playing in GR. If he's lazy on the Red Wings, I'm concerned.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Especially since I have seen him say over and over how the biggest thing he takes from the watching the star Wings is their work ethic even in practice. Smith has said that a lot in interviews, I want him to live up to having really received those messages. Kronwall did win that award with 56 points, it isn't like Smith cannot still hit that number this year. Just my problem is like you said how he has been looking while playing. If he is hurt fine, but like you said if it is because he is bummed that isn't really acceptable, certainly not with the people he has got to see up close and personal and use as examples.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Dnt know where to write this. It is not so important now, but interesting.

HC Lev Prague, based Czech rep, aquired KHL rights for F Tomas Tatar from SKA St Pete.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Dnt know where to write this. It is not so important now, but interesting.

HC Lev Prague, based Czech rep, aquired KHL rights for F Tomas Tatar from SKA St Pete.
Info is info, thanks for passing it along.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:16 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Gus and Tatar look sweet!

EDIT: Jurco just had a sick dangle, but no goal.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:47 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I just don't agree.
First of all, Kronwall was pressed into action as a rookie in Detroit and looked promising. But he was actually only in GR for 25 games before the lockout.

So he wasn't going back down for Year 3 after proving he was ready.

Take Jon Ericsson. He was good in 06-07, was really good in 07-08. AThen we sent him down again and the reviews were that he regressed in GR in 08-09.

Jakub Kindl. First year 17 points. Shows great improvement in year two with 6 goals and 33 points. Next year, he puts up 33 points but only 3 goals, and people have low reviews of him

Kyle Quincey seemed to regress in GR.

I remember Helm got called up and looked great for the Red Wings in the SCF. He goes back down to GR and people said he looked off his game.

I am not worried if a guy like Smith, at nearly 24 years old, isn't all that excited about playing in GR. If he's lazy on the Red Wings, I'm concerned.
Regression is one thing. Lack of effort is another. They're not always related.

Ericsson, Kindl, Quincey, Helm - were any of those guys dogging it when they went back down, or were they still working hard and having trouble adjusting / taking the next step developmentally? Not the way I remember it, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Any time any player is on the ice playing a game that matters - a competitive professional game, in other words, not an all-star game or an exhibition - and that player is dogging it, that's a huge red flag.

Nick Lidstrom never dogged it. Ever. He went out there with one nut and hustled. As much as I hate him, Pronger never dogged it. As much as I hate him, Scott Stevens never dogged it.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Regression is one thing. Lack of effort is another. They're not always related.

Ericsson, Kindl, Quincey, Helm - were any of those guys dogging it when they went back down, or were they still working hard and having trouble adjusting / taking the next step developmentally? Not the way I remember it, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Any time any player is on the ice playing a game that matters - a competitive professional game, in other words, not an all-star game or an exhibition - and that player is dogging it, that's a huge red flag.

Nick Lidstrom never dogged it. Ever. He went out there with one nut and hustled. As much as I hate him, Pronger never dogged it. As much as I hate him, Scott Stevens never dogged it.
Lidstrom didn't spend 5 years waiting to get to the NHL only to get sent back down.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Gus and Tatar look sweet!

EDIT: Jurco just had a sick dangle, but no goal.
How on earth can Gus produce when he's been insulted by being asked to play in the AHL when he's clearly an NHL level player?

Old
10-27-2012, 12:39 AM
jroc86

Quote:
Lidstrom didn't spend 5 years waiting to get to the NHL only to get sent back down.
^Truth. Smiths a human - just like all of us and just like all the superstars. Burnout and disinterest happens ... hes had all these expectations on him for years now and should have been on the Wings last season. The AHL is pro hockey purgatory for guys like Smith. If he stays healthy and plays decent thats fine by me. Pretty tough to get jacked up to make AHL money again, play for a weak team again, and probably miss the playoffs, again.

Dont kid yourselves. If Pronger, Stevens, Neidermyer, Lids, etc spent 3 years in the minors dont kid yourselves and think that there wouldnt be the odd unspirited performance.

Imagine how poor the Griffins will be when Nyquist and Smith are gone ... and maybe even Tatar. Yikes.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:49 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
How on earth can Gus produce when he's been insulted by being asked to play in the AHL when he's clearly an NHL level player?
Nyquist has played what? A season + a few games of pro, Smith like 3 years. Big difference

Old
10-27-2012, 12:13 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Nyquist has played what? A season + a few games of pro, Smith like 3 years. Big difference

you should look that up again.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:18 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
It's hard to grasp what exactly is wrong with Brendan Smith right now. It's a mix of what everyone is saying. But something is out of whack with his game. Seems he's missing the freedom and love of playing, he's a bit zombified. I wouldn't say he's lazy, his head just isn't in the game every shift. It's kinda funny he thinks a play or pass is so easy, so he doesn't rush but the puck deflects off something or wobbles, etc.,basically doesn't go as planned and he has to scramble. I hope all the best for him (and us) but can't help wonder if he will be a full time D for the Wings this year. It's not a sure thing at this point, IMO. He needs to wake up a lot, drink some herbal tea or something. Being an NHL player is as much about being mature mentally as it is physical.

Now what about CHAD BILLINS!!! Seriously was very impressed with the one game I've seen of him. He's composed, athletic, and a damn good hockey player. I'm reading here that he's not a Wings prospect? He really stands out to me, but people think he won't play in the NHL? Is he too small?

It's a blast to watch Gus and Tatar lead this team. They put forth so much effort, Friday's game was all their show. They have to simplify to execute at the NHL level but they are there! Gus especially is a nice representation of how the game is evolving, getting even more individually skilled, dangelesque. Again who knows how far these two will go but I'm hoping they make waves in Detroit.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
MBauer

Griffins up 2-1 after the first.

Nyquist with a pp goal, Smith with the primary assist, and Jurco has the primary assist on the first goal by Pare.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:58 PM
joe89

Jurco won a board battle to set up the Pare goal, nice to see. Nyquist's was a highlight reel goal, dangled through a couple of guys on the blueline and sniped it top shelf.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:06 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

When did Gus learn to dangle so much?

Old
10-27-2012, 09:05 PM
MBauer

Story of the Griffins, blowing leads.

Blow 4-1 lead yesterday and a 3-1 lead tonight, they don't know how to finish a game.
edit* tied it back up 4-4 on the pp goal from smith, tatar and nyquist with assists.
edit 2* Rockford scores on the pp 5-4 Rockford.
Edit 3 * Tatar ties it 5-5 on pp.
Edit 4* Rockford wins 6-5 in OT, Grand Rapids are depressing to watch.

They should call up Mrazek from the ECHL he has a .946 save percentage in 3 games, McCollum and Pearce are both terrible.

Last edited by MBauer: 10-27-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Closed Thread