HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 04:54 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
It's really not a surprise they've scratched him as much as they have. He's just not getting it done at the AHL level. It's too bad as he really upped his game in the WHL.
He got scratched at the start for a bad penalty but hasnt been scratched since lol. Hes fine out there, kills penalties plays good defensivecly and throws around his weight. Gets in the odd scrap as well.

I would rather him be playing like a grinder in the AHL then a wannabe scorer like Bootland who then couldnt grind at the NHL level

Old
11-25-2012, 05:00 PM
The Nose

This is getting tough to watch. They're playing like they are up by 2 goals... so much clearing the zone.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
This is getting tough to watch.
Admirals are playing with really good defensive shape.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Admirals are playing with really good defensive shape.
Yeah their defense has gotten very active sticks and they position pretty well. We need a PP or something.

EDIT: Awesome goal by Pare, showed some good patience.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
The Nose

Griffins lose 2-3.

Pretty awful there that Andersson goes 0-3 in the last 3 face-offs in the Ozone. Would've loved to see Sheahan in there instead.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Griffins lose 2-3.

Pretty awful there that Andersson goes 0-3 in the last 3 face-offs in the Ozone. Would've loved to see Sheahan in there instead.
Same thought, especially after the first two wipe outs, although he one the first one and got horrible puck support from the wingers. They still need to do something about the faceoffs down there. We are the worst team in the AHL as far as I can tell watching every game. Only Sheahan is average.

Old
11-25-2012, 06:51 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
How many players who are regularly scratched in the AHL (and outside of their rookie season) make it as a full time NHLer?
Hes 21, hes a role player normally a 4th line guy, and hes playing in a year where theres a lockout in the nhl, meaning that the ahl team will have guys that probably would be playing for the redwings this year, (tatar, nyquist) meaning ever so often those 4th line guys will get scratched sometime to mix up the lineup and give everyone a chance to play. Callahan is a guy that teams win with, strong for checker, tough gritty and willing to drop the gloves with anyone. If he develops he will 100 percent make the redwings in 3 or 4 years

Old
11-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
If he develops he will 100 percent make the redwings in 3 or 4 years
This is the big if because he hasn't shown much improvement in 1.5 years of pro hockey

Old
11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
This is the big if because he hasn't shown much improvement in 1.5 years of pro hockey
Well hes already on pace to get more points then he did last year, hes got 3 points in 11 games and a plus 2, his role is not supposed to be a guy who puts up a point per game, his role is to be a pest, hit everything that moves, play a good strong defensive game, get under guys skin, mabye become a penalty killer and drop the gloves for his teammates. I know the coaches are really happy with him and are impressed by him

Old
11-25-2012, 08:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Do you watch the games? Cause the Callahan, Grant Raedeke line has been great the last 5 games or so

Old
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Do you watch the games?
yes.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
He got scratched at the start for a bad penalty but hasnt been scratched since lol. Hes fine out there, kills penalties plays good defensivecly and throws around his weight. Gets in the odd scrap as well.

I would rather him be playing like a grinder in the AHL then a wannabe scorer like Bootland who then couldnt grind at the NHL level
I recall him being scratched and he's only appeared in 12 games. Maybe he was injured. Sure, I agree that having him be a grinder/pest and PK'er is his best route. I can't see him being much of a fighter given he's so bad at it at the AHL level.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I recall him being scratched and he's only appeared in 12 games. Maybe he was injured. Sure, I agree that having him be a grinder/pest and PK'er is his best route. I can't see him being much of a fighter given he's so bad at it at the AHL level.
He was scratched after he took a couple really bad momentum penalties at the start of the year. This last weekend was more like the guy playing last year. But yes those that are holding out hopes he will be a good NHL fighter need to probably pick a new horse. Maybe Tootoo can help him once they have camp together, but Callahan was a good fighter in junior. We are now in his second year of pro either he needs to pick new dance partners (I think he really needs to do this) or we can stop hyping him as a fighter. He might be okay at it if he selects the right guys, but his style of just hoping to trade isn't working real well in the pros. He isn't crafty enough as a smaller guy while fighting and that shows. Sure he will get better but it is hard to see him getting a lot better. His base gets rushed too often and he is never real balanced. He can make it as fourth line pest but the people saying he is a better fighter than Abdelkader are lying to themselves. He might become as good as him maybe slightly better, but that is a mediocre NHL fighter.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:23 PM
The Nose

Well our heavyweights Nedomlel and McKee will be very interesting to say the least.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
newfy

Quote:
He was scratched after he took a couple really bad momentum penalties at the start of the year. This last weekend was more like the guy playing last year. But yes those that are holding out hopes he will be a good NHL fighter need to probably pick a new horse. Maybe Tootoo can help him once they have camp together, but Callahan was a good fighter in junior. We are now in his second year of pro either he needs to pick new dance partners (I think he really needs to do this) or we can stop hyping him as a fighter. He might be okay at it if he selects the right guys, but his style of just hoping to trade isn't working real well in the pros. He isn't crafty enough as a smaller guy while fighting and that shows. Sure he will get better but it is hard to see him getting a lot better. His base gets rushed too often and he is never real balanced. He can make it as fourth line pest but the people saying he is a better fighter than Abdelkader are lying to themselves. He might become as good as him maybe slightly better, but that is a mediocre NHL fighter.
I dont think even when Callahan was drafted that it was to be a "fighter". It was to be an agitator that can fight others his size to keep his respect around the league. I thought in junior he was a great fighter, now hes pretty average but really needs to pick guys in his weight class. Fighting guys like Drew Bagnall, Eric Selleck, David Liffton, and Zack Fitzgerald are losses for most guys in the AHL (Bordeleau excluded) but 6 foot rookie Callahan took them all on. Hes got heart for sure fighting guys like that and will only get better. And then even the guys who arent the absolute top dogs in the AHL that he fought were pretty big a lot of them.

He needs to keep fighting the guys like Andrew Shaw and he'll be fine. Where I really disagree though is that you think Callahan needs to improve to be on Abdelkaders level lol. Put Abdelkader up against Zack Fitzgerald and see how he does. Abdelkaders an alright complimentary tough player but Callahans a better fighter

Old
11-26-2012, 12:03 AM
The Nose

Quote:
I dont think even when Callahan was drafted that it was to be a "fighter". It was to be an agitator that can fight others his size to keep his respect around the league. I thought in junior he was a great fighter, now hes pretty average but really needs to pick guys in his weight class. Fighting guys like Drew Bagnall, Eric Selleck, David Liffton, and Zack Fitzgerald are losses for most guys in the AHL (Bordeleau excluded) but 6 foot rookie Callahan took them all on. Hes got heart for sure fighting guys like that and will only get better. And then even the guys who arent the absolute top dogs in the AHL that he fought were pretty big a lot of them.

He needs to keep fighting the guys like Andrew Shaw and he'll be fine. Where I really disagree though is that you think Callahan needs to improve to be on Abdelkaders level lol. Put Abdelkader up against Zack Fitzgerald and see how he does. Abdelkaders an alright complimentary tough player but Callahans a better fighter
Abdelkader to me has always been kind of a fill-in agitator for the Wings. When you evaluate his game, he's just "OK" at everything, and nothing really stands out. I'm not saying he's terrible at it, but Abby seemed to mold into the agitator role because his skill hasn't progressed and the Wings really don't have many agitators. I can definitely see Callahan becoming a better fighter/agitator than Abby, but its really kind of a toss-up with that kind of stuff.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:13 AM
TNigs

The AHL is where all those tough guys go that can't play hockey. Everyone has a different meaning to "tough" but the AHL is the toughest league in the world, fighting wise.
I see Derek Dorsett in Callahan, the heart to fight a guy like John Scott but no where near the size or toughness to. He got to pick his battles more wisely.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:39 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNigs View Post
The AHL is where all those tough guys go that can't play hockey. Everyone has a different meaning to "tough" but the AHL is the toughest league in the world, fighting wise.
I see Derek Dorsett in Callahan, the heart to fight a guy like John Scott but no where near the size or toughness to. He got to pick his battles more wisely.
Dorsett would be a fair comparison, Callahans a little less skilled but I think youll be able to play him regular fourth line minutes and on the PK at the NHL level. Once he gets to the NHL and starts fighting guys in his weight class he'll be fine. I think a lot of the guys on here chirp him for not winning fights but dont really know much about the fighters in the AHL. People will understand better when hes fighting out of his weight class at the NHL level.

Is anyone else excited at potentially having a Callahan and Tootoo line centered by someone like Abdelkader, Aubry or Sheahan?

Old
11-26-2012, 01:28 AM
TNigs

Quote:
Is anyone else excited at potentially having a Callahan and Tootoo line centered by someone like Abdelkader, Aubry or Sheahan?
Callahan Aubry Tootoo would be a fun line to watch. Aubry is my favorite non top 6 prospect, because of his size and the way he plays the game. He hits everything, always goes to the dirty areas, but he doesn't win a lot of battles, yet. When he fills out his 6'4 frame he will be an absolute terror on dmen.
Yesterday he got knocked over by a 5'9 Ryan Ellis, in a couple years Ellis will be sitting in the 10th row if he tries that. Bottom line Aubry is a string bean but you can't discount his heart and determination.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:56 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Both Tootoo and Callahan are right wingers. Right handed shot RW that don't play the other side really at all. I don't see them lining up together for regular shifts, unless the game is heading in an ugly direction.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Both Tootoo and Callahan are right wingers. Right handed shot RW that don't play the other side really at all. I don't see them lining up together for regular shifts, unless the game is heading in an ugly direction.
Plus by the time Callahan makes it to the NHL (if he makes it at all) Tootoo will probably either be retired or on another team

Old
11-26-2012, 06:27 AM
joe89

Only bottom-6 guy I'm really high on right now is Ferraro. He's got the chance to become a quality 3rd liner. Overall mostly trusted in the defensive situations, but good for a few big goals and offense on the PK. Aubry and Callahan are works in progress(as an NHL energy guy you have to be there every night).

Sheahan's NHL upside is definite but he needs more pro time before a fair assessment. His line has been good lately but Paré is the offensive catalyst. I'm still waiting for him to be more of a threat around the crease, overall I kinda doubt his offensive instincts at this point. Let's put it this way: I totally see why he wasn't a big scorer in college, but also see why he's projected to produce points. He could be one of those guys that makes a huge jump from one season to another.

I like to compare those four, because they're basically the same age. Ferraro, Sheahan, Aubry, Callahan is my firm ranking right now.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:39 AM
The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Only bottom-6 guy I'm really high on right now is Ferraro. He's got the chance to become a quality 3rd liner. Overall mostly trusted in the defensive situations, but good for a few big goals and offense on the PK. Aubry and Callahan are works in progress(as an NHL energy guy you have to be there every night).

Sheahan's NHL upside is definite but he needs more pro time before a fair assessment. His line has been good lately but Paré is the offensive catalyst. I'm still waiting for him to be more of a threat around the crease, overall I kinda doubt his offensive instincts at this point. Let's put it this way: I totally see why he wasn't a big scorer in college, but also see why he's projected to produce points. He could be one of those guys that makes a huge jump from one season to another.

I like to compare those four, because they're basically the same age. Ferraro, Sheahan, Aubry, Callahan is my firm ranking right now.
Sheahan has been impressive in the defensive zone, forechecking, and around the boards. It's tough to get a good read on his offensive potential.

The most impressive player the past few games, excluding the obvious guys, has been Jurco. He definitely has a good physical side to his game and he's been no slouch in the defensive end and in the dirty areas. I'm starting to see why people project this kid to be a star, comparable to Hossa.

Last edited by The Nose: 11-26-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old
11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
joe89

Quote:
Sheahan has been impressive in the defensive zone, forechecking, and around the boards. It's tough to get a good read on his offensive potential.

The most impressive player the past few games, excluding the obvious guys, has been Jurco. He definitely has a good physical side to his game and he's been no slouch in the defensive end and in the dirty areas. I'm starting to see why people project this kid to be a star, comparable to Gossage.
Yeah, Jurco is only gonna get better as the season goes on. For him it's just about getting more effective, his offensive upside is already on display. He's one of the 10 youngest guys in the league aswell.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:19 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Do you watch the games? Cause the Callahan, Grant Raedeke line has been great the last 5 games or so
Callahan will have be better than a good AHL 4th liner to make the NHL.
Take a look at Abdelkader in the AHL vs NHL.

Landon Ferraro, with 12 points in 17 games, is still viewed by most as a guy with 3rd line potential at best.

It's still early for Callahan, but he's not going to make to the NHL as a fighter. He's got to get faster or I don't see him every making the show.

Closed Thread