HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 12:40 AM
FissionFire

vCash: 500
I agree. I'm not saying I want that, just that Smith's partners now are shaky on D and mainly offense-focused guys. Nicastro would be the perfect partner for Smith, but that's assuming Nicastro is ready for top line AHL minutes which is doubtful. Max can't even seem to crack the lineup. I thought he acquitted himself well early in the season but he seems to be riding the pine now.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

To be fair to McCollum, he had a couple decent games before Mrazek was called up.

Speaking of Toledo, why isn't Nestrasil getting a chance? 20 points in 24 games.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:42 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
To be fair to McCollum, he had a couple decent games before Mrazek was called up.

Speaking of Toledo, why isn't Nestrasil getting a chance? 20 points in 24 games.
For him to get a call-up, there needs to be an opening. Who would he replace realistically? He would be useless on the the 4th line. The middle 6 is doing pretty well with the third line really gelling well together. And he isn't going to replace Andersson, Nyquist or Tatar on the top line.

I say first call-up is Coetzee before Nestrasil anyways.

Old
12-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
For him to get a call-up, there needs to be an opening. Who would he replace realistically? He would be useless on the the 4th line. The middle 6 is doing pretty well with the third line really gelling well together. And he isn't going to replace Andersson, Nyquist or Tatar on the top line.

I say first call-up is Coetzee before Nestrasil anyways.
Nestrasil/Coetzee will be up, if the NHL ever starts. Nyquist going NHL makes the hole.

EDIT:

McCollum has been with 1.51 GAA and 0.923 save percentage after Mrazek arrived. Better than Mrazek (2.42 GAA, 0.912 sv).

Last edited by Henkka: 12-11-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
McCollum has been with 1.51 GAA and 0.923 save percentage after Mrazek arrived. Better than Mrazek (2.42 GAA, 0.912 sv).
Mrazeks played the tougher teams and more games. Its clear whose better just from watching them. To be fair to Mccollum hes really cut down on those really bad angle, far out crappy goals that used to deflate all the momentum last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Nestrasil can't skate with the AHL top liners and the griffs bottom 6 isnt set up to play much offensive hockey. They have a tough line with Grant and Callahan and then a grinder line for the most part. I cant see Nestrasil fitting in anywhere in that lineup until a few bodies are moved to the NHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I agree. I'm not saying I want that, just that Smith's partners now are shaky on D and mainly offense-focused guys. Nicastro would be the perfect partner for Smith, but that's assuming Nicastro is ready for top line AHL minutes which is doubtful. Max can't even seem to crack the lineup. I thought he acquitted himself well early in the season but he seems to be riding the pine now.
I actually liked what I saw from Nicastro. He didnt blow me away or anything but he came from college a year earlier than expected and looked fine out there. Hes absolutely huge as well, the only D close to him in size was Evans. He was rolling well with Smith, got injured and the team started winning games so he kinnd of became the odd man out. Callahan had the same thing happen earlier in the year but he got his shot later on and hes ran with it and is playing good hockey now

Old
12-11-2012, 06:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

While the NHL starting will probably see both Coetzee and Nestrasil up, I have to be honest I have been really impressed with the reports coming out on Grand Rapids own and former U of M captain Luke Glendening, who we know can play on bottom lines quite comfortably because of his style of play. He currently leads the team in goals scored and has an absurd shooting percentage of almost 30%. While that would almost have to go down he is having a very good transition to pro hockey and much as they have made the choice to role with Billins over some of the more celebrated prospects with NHL ties to the Wings it would not surprise me to see Glendening get the call over both of his teammates.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
While the NHL starting will probably see both Coetzee and Nestrasil up, I have to be honest I have been really impressed with the reports coming out on Grand Rapids own and former U of M captain Luke Glendening, who we know can play on bottom lines quite comfortably because of his style of play. He currently leads the team in goals scored and has an absurd shooting percentage of almost 30%. While that would almost have to go down he is having a very good transition to pro hockey and much as they have made the choice to role with Billins over some of the more celebrated prospects with NHL ties to the Wings it would not surprise me to see Glendening get the call over both of his teammates.
Too bad we don't have a good defenceman down there. NHL possible start takes only Nyquist up for sure (Tatar stays down as long as the injury bug hits big) so there's only one spot more open. Smith makes a spot for defence, that goes probably to Nicastro. I can't see any upside in Fournier anymore.

EDIT:

When Nyquist is up in NHL, I hope Blashill promotes Ferraro to 1st PP unit. They they would have one right handness there. Ferraro has been so good that he deserves the PP time.

Tatar - Andersson - Ferraro
Jurco - Sheahan - Pare
Hoggan - Aubry - Parkes
Grant - Raedeke - Callahan

Almqvist - Paetsch
Lashoff - Nicastro
Evans - Billins

Mrazek
McCollum

1st PP:
Ferraro(R) - Andersson(L) - Tatar(L)
Almqvist(L) - Billins(L)

2nd PP:
Parkes(R) - Pare(R) - Jurco(L)
Paetsch(L) - Sheahan(L) (could be Nicastro, either way. Then Sheahan is the center/screener and Parkes is off the unit.)

Penalty killing:

1. Andersson - Ferraro
2. Sheahan - Aubry
3. Raedeke - Callahan

1. Lashoff - Nicastro
2. Evans - Paetsch

I hope we survive to the playoffs with this group and on that time maybe we could insert Ouellet or Sproul there as AHL amateur try-outs (if their CHL-seasons end fast) like every team does.

Last edited by Henkka: 12-12-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
joe89

The team might not be as thrilling to watch, but Nyquist and Smith shouldn't be dealbreakers for the team to do well, especially when you factor in that many teams lose even more. Almqvist is ready for the 1st PP unit, Nicastro should be a solid PK player, Lashoff can play a slightly bigger role even strength and on the 2nd PP unit. Still a pretty quality line-up.

Old
12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
FissionFire

How much of McCollum's resurgance do you think is due to the lockout? Bedard can pretty much work with him full-time now instead of splitting duties like we always have. I imagine having both Osgood and Bedard there all the time could make a big difference.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:26 PM
ChadS

Don't know if this was posted already, but here's a series of FSD-clips on the Griffins: http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/12/0...61&feedID=3706

Old
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

What do you guys think about Tomas Jurco so far?

He began with a typical rookie beginning to the season (one of the youngest players in the AHL), but he's been steadily improving and now I'm really starting to like this kid's game. He's got all the tools needed to be a star, he just needs to put them together. I really believe that this kid will be our best forward in 4 or 5 years if he keeps developing.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:23 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
What do you guys think about Tomas Jurco so far?

He began with a typical rookie beginning to the season (one of the youngest players in the AHL), but he's been steadily improving and now I'm really starting to like this kid's game. He's got all the tools needed to be a star, he just needs to put them together. I really believe that this kid will be our best forward in 4 or 5 years if he keeps developing.
Hes turned it on lately but hes definitely got some developing to do. Get him and a goalie all alone and its in the back of the net for sure. One thing I really like is he isnt the perimieter type player I was expecting. He gets his nose dirty in the corners and will even throw the odd check

Old
12-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Hes turned it on lately but hes definitely got some developing to do. Get him and a goalie all alone and its in the back of the net for sure. One thing I really like is he isnt the perimieter type player I was expecting. He gets his nose dirty in the corners and will even throw the odd check
That's exactly what Jim Nill told after the draft. He is a product of that slovakian power-forward factory. They don't fight, but they don't hide from dirty areas either. And are skilled as hell. Tatar and Tvrdon also have this same emelent in their game. But Jurco has the highest scoring potential.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:22 AM
joe89

My feeling is that Jurco is not a puck carrier nor a puck cycler, especially not the former. He's an off the rush and around the net type of player. I'm pretty sure he's watched a lot of Gaborik growing up. He needs to keep working on core strength and hopefully get even faster. He's absolutely tolerable defensively already(but needs quite a bit of work before NHL play) and he works hard.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Any streams for the game? PM please

Old
12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Mrazek gets the call in goal tonight.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Nyquist has some jump tonight looks more like the guy that started the season than the last couple weekends.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:38 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Sounds like both teams are playing pretty good. Great game so far.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Sounds like both teams are playing pretty good. Great game so far.
A little sloppy but decent pace, Callahan just had a shorthanded breakaway stoned, not much of a move on that one.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

It seems like the Griffins have the exact same weakness the Wings do. If you put them up against a big trapping-style team that boxes out and blocks shots constantly, there's almost nothing they can do. Especially the top line. They can't fight through the checks and none of them shoot hard enough to make anybody afraid to block a shot.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
joe89

This is the type of game Peoria plays, just gotta dig in for 60 minutes.

Our point shots, especially Billins' and Smitty's remain weak on the PP. Maybe try to switch Billins and Almqvist and mix things up. Make it less predictable.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:44 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

Um....any streams?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
JimLaheyprobert

anyone know the score of the game?

Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

It is time to change some of the lines. Although with that said Peoria is setting back hockey 20 years. If I had tried to get somebody interested in hockey tonight it would have failed. Just an awful game and not because the Griffins lost but that 1 high and four back clog the middle strategy is just absolutely boring.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
This is the type of game Peoria plays, just gotta dig in for 60 minutes.

Our point shots, especially Billins' and Smitty's remain weak on the PP. Maybe try to switch Billins and Almqvist and mix things up. Make it less predictable.
Power-play of five lefties. As predictable as Red Wings crap before we get some good right handed guys there again.

Can't wait the seasons with Brunner, Sproul, Jensen, Järnkrok etc... everybody will be surpriced how easy and entertaining the power-play can be.

Closed Thread