HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
My Goodness, Joe89 recommends a Swede?

We have Howard/Gustavsson
I fear our depth problem isn't at the AHL level, it's at the NHL level.

If Howie goes down, is Gustavsson capable of backstopping us anywhere?

Most teams would be in trouble if their #1 and #2 goalie goes down. We've still got Joey Mac signed. And then we have McCollum/Mrazek/Pierce.

I don't see how adding another goalie to the mix helps our depth, really. It just clogs the prospect artery at one more position.
How many NHL teams have #2 goalies that are demonstrably better than Gustavsson? And how many #2 goalies better than Gustavsson were available on the UFA market this summer?

I think he's fine as a backup and has some upside.

Here were the options on the market this summer:

Gustavsson
Leighton
McElhinney
C. Mason
Hedberg (wasn't leaving NJ)
Brodeur (wasn't leaving NJ)
Montoya
Danis
Clemmensen

Of those guys, which one is better than Gustavsson? Clemmensen maybe, but he also got a better chance for more starts with the Panthers. He may not have considered coming to Detroit to play 15 games behind Jimmy. And he's 35. Hedberg would be a good pickup but reportedly he wasn't interested in leaving New Jersey and he's 39. Mason is 36 and has been terrible the last 2 years - after the Conklin disaster, I'm glad they stayed away from version 2.0.

I think they did well to get Gustavsson. He should be fine as a backup and it will be interesting to see if he has more than he was able to show for that awful Leafs team.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
It's not about signing a Swede, Finn, American or Canadian. It's not about getting more depth. It has nothing to do with not trusting Mrazek's or Paterson's ability or whoever we might draft next. It's about getting BETTER depth. It's not clogging up the system to sign someone better. Having Pearce(career AHL backup type), McCollum(fringe AHLer now, future who knows), Mrazek(first year pro) is not helping the Griffins one iota to win games.

Howard, Gustavsson is fine "NHL depth". Probably average to slightly above average in the league.
Howard, Gustavsson, MacDonald(well, he's a goner), Pearce, McCollum, Mrazek however is not even close to average as far as organizations go. If you think that you need to look around the league, or more precisely what AHL tandems other teams use.

The goalie guild, and I really trust the work he/they do, have the Wings organizational depth graded as D+. Only Winnipeg, Toronto, Colorado and New Jersey have a worse grade. So despite having an all-star starter, we still get a D. That tells you something.

Like I said, MacDonald should've been waived. But apparantly he's not interested in returning to the AHL. The Wings knew this early on in the summer, so they had all the time to sign someone if they wanted, like some other teams did. But for some reason didn't feel the need to do so. I don't get that and we'll see where things land eventually. But I do know that the Griffins have the worst goaltending duo on paper in the entire AHL.

Good to see Tatar and Nyquist back to scoring. Smith still looks a little sloppy.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:12 PM
MBauer

Nyquist picks up his second of the game to tie it at 3.

AHLLIVE is awful, just though i would throw that out there.

Last edited by MBauer: 10-21-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Go Gus Go!

Old
10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
joe89

They started Tatar and Jurco together with Sheahan I think. Then put Nyquist and Tatar together and things started to happen. They've been terrific since the start of the second.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:53 PM
MBauer

Smith has not looked good this game in any zone , he turned it over to kadri who got a wide open point blank chance.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:59 PM
MBauer

Griffins go 3 for 3 in their shootout, shootout goals by Jurco, Smith, and Nyquist.

Jurco made it look so easy, also good job by McCollum stopping all three Toronto shooters, didn't realize AHL is like a best out of 5?

Old
10-21-2012, 05:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
Smith has not looked good this game in any zone , he turned it over to kadri who got a wide open point blank chance.
Yup.. But I liked the other prospects today. Really, the veterans were some of the worst Griffins today. Hoggan and Pare need to step up their games. This game probably should've been won in regulation though, but nice win on the road nevertheless.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Griffins go 3 for 3 in their shootout, shootout goals by Jurco, Smith, and Nyquist.
I watched this game on leafs tv, all three shootout goals were beauties! Gotta say Grand Rapids looked very sloppy with the turnovers. Tatar looked awesome.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:

AHLLIVE is awful, just though i would throw that out there.
No doubt,but what they usually do is just use the in arena feed so you are basically watching what the crowd sees on the scoreboard at a game...love all the scoreboard entertainment...lol

Old
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
I watched this game on leafs tv, all three shootout goals were beauties! Gotta say Grand Rapids looked very sloppy with the turnovers. Tatar looked awesome.
Good to read Tatar and Nyquist are developing some chemistry. Nyquist appears to be the #1 star although I didn't see the game. With as bad as it sounds like Smith played at least Nyquist continues to show he's NHL ready.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:11 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Good to read Tatar and Nyquist are developing some chemistry. Nyquist appears to be the #1 star although I didn't see the game. With as bad as it sounds like Smith played at least Nyquist continues to show he's NHL ready.
It just seemed like Smith didn't care, he had a few nice scoring chances but other then that he just seemed half asleep.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I thought Tatar was great. Nyquist had a slam dunk alone in front, and picked up a rebound, but he also turned the puck over leading to Marlies first goal too. Still, finishing on 3 chances is no doubt first star worthy. Smith didn't impress, the turnover in OT and whiffing on shots on the powerplay....not what you want to see.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:18 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
It just seemed like Smith didn't care, he had a few nice scoring chances but other then that he just seemed half asleep.
During the last lockout when Kronwall had to spend the year in GR, he lit the place up.

I am not digging all of these reports about Smith. A player who can't be bothered to work hard or try to hone his game can't be counted on to progress into a top flight (or even an everyday, functional) NHL defenseman.

Someone needs to give that kid an enormous kick in the ass.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

I have read mixed reports on Jurco so far, but I was curious if he has been laying out any dangles?

Old
10-21-2012, 09:47 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
I have read mixed reports on Jurco so far, but I was curious if he has been laying out any dangles?
You can tell hes got great hands, but he hasnt really undressed anyone so far. Apparently his shootout goal tonight was nice, my stream shut down though so I didnt see it. For a first year pro he looks fine out there.

I was also lookin on the griffs sites at the height and weight of players.

Callahan is up to 6 feet, 200 lbs. Thats solid enough to play his style of game at the NHL level, he'll probably play a bit heavier then that as well when all is said and done.

Andersson is 6'2, 207. Pretty solid for a checking line center, probably has room for more weight

Sheahan 6'2, 212 lbs. Hes stayed the same weight since his draft year or they just havent updated that number.

Tatar is 5'10, 185. I think hes stocky enough and ready size wise for the NHL

Jurco at 6'2, 195 cans till use some weight hes pretty slim out there and can get out muscled

Ferraro isnt even 180 lbs lol if he can get that number up to even 190 he'll be much more effective

Louis Marc Aubry is 6'4 and nails guys but he only weighs in at 207. That guy is gonna end up like 220 at least. When he gets that big he is going to absolutely kill people.

Overall the size of the prospect pool has really come along nicely. Tatar and Nyquist are small but most other prospects have solid size

Old
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
You can tell hes got great hands, but he hasnt really undressed anyone so far. Apparently his shootout goal tonight was nice, my stream shut down though so I didnt see it. For a first year pro he looks fine out there.

I was also lookin on the griffs sites at the height and weight of players.

Callahan is up to 6 feet, 200 lbs. Thats solid enough to play his style of game at the NHL level, he'll probably play a bit heavier then that as well when all is said and done.

Andersson is 6'2, 207. Pretty solid for a checking line center, probably has room for more weight

Sheahan 6'2, 212 lbs. Hes stayed the same weight since his draft year or they just havent updated that number.

Tatar is 5'10, 185. I think hes stocky enough and ready size wise for the NHL

Jurco at 6'2, 195 cans till use some weight hes pretty slim out there and can get out muscled

Ferraro isnt even 180 lbs lol if he can get that number up to even 190 he'll be much more effective

Louis Marc Aubry is 6'4 and nails guys but he only weighs in at 207. That guy is gonna end up like 220 at least. When he gets that big he is going to absolutely kill people.

Overall the size of the prospect pool has really come along nicely. Tatar and Nyquist are small but most other prospects have solid size
What is Nyquist up to, because the biggest problem last year with him was that he got knocked off the puck and off his skates too often in the NHL

Old
10-21-2012, 11:47 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
What is Nyquist up to, because the biggest problem last year with him was that he got knocked off the puck and off his skates too often in the NHL
5'11" 185lbs.

The big development when watching him is he is much stronger on his skates through these first four games. His lower body strength is almost night and day from last year. It is a very good sign as far as what I have seen from him to start the season.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:24 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Yep 5'11, 185. I wouldnt say thats really a concern. At 5'11 he could gain a bit mroe weight but around 190 is completely fine playing weight for a guy that size. Hes starting to use his ass like Datsyuk does along the boards, he used to get tossed around when he would do that but he looks a lot sturdier now

Old
10-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:

I can't believe how physical this guy is. When we drafted him I remember reading reports that he can hit and is willing to, but I had no idea he was this physical. He seriously has shifts where he just hits everything that moves. Plus he's got great size, good defensively and has some offensive skill. Guy could be a great 4C for us down the road.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:42 AM
joe89

Quote:
Yep 5'11, 185. I wouldnt say thats really a concern. At 5'11 he could gain a bit mroe weight but around 190 is completely fine playing weight for a guy that size. Hes starting to use his ass like Datsyuk does along the boards, he used to get tossed around when he would do that but he looks a lot sturdier now
Numbers aside Nyquist really looks like he's stronger. Honestly, some things he does on the ice just screams Pavel, and not just the twisting and turning. Like when he goes down the right wing and then does this long, dragging backhand pass. Is he trying to be a complete clone? Quite possibly. I swear he made Pavel's one-leg celebration after his SO goal too, that seriously made me chuckle.

I'm not sure if Andersson should gain more, it's more important he becomes quicker than gaining to an already filled out frame. Aubry on the other hand will probably benefit a lot by some more muscle, making him a real pain when he crashes around. Ferraro is thin but man his willpower makes you forget about it.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:52 AM
InjuredChoker

I hope Smith is more or less saving him for the season and he thinks he has the ability but is playing with lights 50% on. Or more like 10%. I think it's more of a good thing that it's about that he just doesn't care than he he's just suck. Not so good anyway, esp. when reading these reports from Schultz and co who are tearing it apart.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Is AHL Live available to everyone, even international viewers? Because I'd hate to pay $150 and then not be able to watch because I live overseas. Please help.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:19 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Highlights from last night's game:

Old
10-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
I can't believe how physical this guy is. When we drafted him I remember reading reports that he can hit and is willing to, but I had no idea he was this physical. He seriously has shifts where he just hits everything that moves. Plus he's got great size, good defensively and has some offensive skill. Guy could be a great 4C for us down the road.
I was surprised how active of a stick he had. The game I went to he had a ton of steals, with his reach and positioning he gave guys a big problem trying to get past him in the neutral zone. He easily had the most takeaways at the game I was at on Friday.

Closed Thread