HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Have we ever had a truly generational goalie?

Old
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
That's literally saying Gretzky is the only generational player ever... Which just means the definition of a "generational player" is obviously very subjective.
Surely a "generational player" is a player that comes along only once a generation (what else would the term mean). That is, every 20-30 years or so. If Gretzky is the only "generational" player, then the definition being used it too restrictive, since organized hockey's been around for over 130 years.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
GuineaPig

Damnit. I can't find that thread with the complete Vezina voting totals. Can anyone post a link?

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Alpine

Without reading all 9 pages
Georges Vezina..had a trophy named after him
Terry Sawchuk
Jacques Plante
Tony O
Ken Dryden
Dominick Hasek
Saint Patrick....was there a butterfly before him
Richard Brodeur

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:11 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Without reading all 9 pages
Georges Vezina..had a trophy named after him
Terry Sawchuk
Jacques Plante
Tony O
Ken Dryden
Dominick Hasek
Saint Patrick....was there a butterfly before him
Richard Brodeur
He was good... generational might be a stretch.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Surely a "generational player" is a player that comes along only once a generation (what else would the term mean). That is, every 20-30 years or so. If Gretzky is the only "generational" player, then the definition being used it too restrictive, since organized hockey's been around for over 130 years.
Unless you're talking about the time required to "generate" enough NHL players to replace the ones who will retire in that span of time. I've been following hockey for 19 years, and the NHL has more or less turned over completely during that time, if you exclude Teemu Selanne.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Damnit. I can't find that thread with the complete Vezina voting totals. Can anyone post a link?
Stickied thread at the top of the board, starting with post 101

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Hasek dominated voting in 1997 and 1998, but he only got 8 first place votes for the Vezina in 1999 though. When we're talking about a goalie that is purportedly on the same level as Gretzky or Orr, I would expect more than 8/27 NHL GMs to think he is the best goalie in the league that season

Edit: looking at GP, 1994 (which was an awesome season, perhaps a third generational one) is the only season Hasek seems to really be hurt by lack of starts
There was this little thing called "1999 Playoffs."

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
There was this little thing called "1999 Playoffs."
Really? Thanks for reminding me that the NHL had playoffs in 1999; I would have forgotten otherwise!

Old
09-10-2012, 02:53 PM
GuineaPig

GM/media perception can be a tricky thing to base things off, because sometimes it just seems so off-base. I doubt many would accept that Lemieux's 88-89 season was not incredible and "generational" based on Hart voting for that year, for example. Despite that Joseph and his 0.919 ES Sv% received more first-place votes in '99 than Hasek, I don't see how one can convincingly claim Hasek was generational in '98, and then not in '99.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
GM/media perception can be a tricky thing to base things off, because sometimes it just seems so off-base. I doubt many would accept that Lemieux's 88-89 season was not incredible and "generational" based on Hart voting for that year, for example. Despite that Joseph and his 0.919 ES Sv% received more first-place votes in '99 than Hasek, I don't see how one can convincingly claim Hasek was generational in '98, and then not in '99.
Listen, I think Hasek deserved the Vezina in 1999 too, and if he was less of an impact player than in his Hart years, it wasn't by much. But when he's being compared to Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr, it damn well does matter than less than 1/3 of the GMs in the league gave him their first place vote.

Old
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Unless you're talking about the time required to "generate" enough NHL players to replace the ones who will retire in that span of time. I've been following hockey for 19 years, and the NHL has more or less turned over completely during that time, if you exclude Teemu Selanne.
In any event, it's a period of time significantly less than 130 years.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Prime Hasek was easily a generational talent. There has never been anyone like him before or after. I would even argue Roy might have also been one since he widely influenced the game of hockey for goalies with his butterfly.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Those "pluggers" provided Hasek with more offensive support in 1998 and 1999 than Roy or Brodeur got in most playoff years. Hell, Buffalo's offense carried them to the second round in 1997 with Steve Shields in goal for the majority of games.
Steve Shields wasn't exactly a bum and the Ottawa Senators were the worst team in the playoffs that year. I said that Buffalo had a bunch of pluggers. What I did not say is that these pluggers weren't capable of beating the worst team in the playoffs without Hasek.

As for scoring support, you happen to be out of your mind. In the years that Hasek was winning Vezinas, Buffalo was not consistently providing more goal support than Colorado and New Jersey (maybe before Lafontaine got decapitated by Francois Leroux, Buff outscored Jersey once over a season). This includes the two years you cited, where Buffalo was dead last in goal support among the teams these three goalies played for both times.

Quote:
Why is adjusted save percentage nonsense?. Do you think Gretzky would score over 200 points today and that the only reason there aren't 10-15 forwards today above 100 points is due to lack of talent? If you are going to adjust stats for forwards, you should do it for goalies too
Because it's nonsense. It normalizes variables that can't be normalized. While I certainly don't think Wayne Gretzky would have anything in the vicinity of 200 points now, I'm also not delusional enough to think if you put Kelly Hrudey behind the Kings today that he'd put up close to Quick's numbers because some bonus points theorem says he would.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Steve Shields wasn't exactly a bum and the Ottawa Senators were the worst team in the playoffs that year. I said that Buffalo had a bunch of pluggers. What I did not say is that these pluggers weren't capable of beating the worst team in the playoffs without Hasek.

As for scoring support, you happen to be out of your mind. In the years that Hasek was winning Vezinas, Buffalo was not consistently providing more goal support than Colorado and New Jersey (maybe before Lafontaine got decapitated by Francois Leroux, Buff outscored Jersey once over a season). This includes the two years you cited, where Buffalo was dead last in goal support among the teams these three goalies played for both times.
I was specifically referring to playoffs and should have specified Roy's Montreal years.

Buffalo, in the playoffs, provided Hasek with significantly more goal support than Brodeur received from 1997-1999. Neither Hasek or Brodeur ever did anything in the playoffs without receiving significant goal support.

When Buffalo went to the finals in 1999, they scored at a higher rate in the playoffs than the Canadiens did in for their 1986 and 1993 Cup years.

Buffalo's team defense was not close to Montreal or NJ's, but their scorers held up their end of the bargain in the playoffs.

Quote:
Because it's nonsense. It normalizes variables that can't be normalized. While I certainly don't think Wayne Gretzky would have anything in the vicinity of 200 points now, I'm also not delusional enough to think if you put Kelly Hrudey behind the Kings today that he'd put up close to Quick's numbers because some bonus points theorem says he would.
If Gretzky's numbers would be worse today, why wouldn't Hrudey's be better?

Old
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I believe that what you've just said here is that, although adjusted statistics are nonsense, unadjusted statistics are also nonsense (for comparison's purpose).

So where does that leave us?

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:57 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I believe that what you've just said here is that, although adjusted statistics are nonsense, unadjusted statistics are also nonsense (for comparison's purpose).

So where does that leave us?
Besides optics? We have awards, rankings, articles, etc. And the subjective discussions that revolves around the merits of said accomplishments in a certain circumstances.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
In any event, it's a period of time significantly less than 130 years.
Oh, I didn't actually look at what you were arguing about when I made that comment, just trying to add another semantic dimension.

As far as your point goes, that's the reason why I'm unwilling to equate "generational" with the top-# players of all time — just because Gordie Howe raised the bar on what a person could accomplish while the sport was already half as old as it is now, and we've seen 2 more players approach that level since (3 if you want to include Lemieux), do the first 60 years of competitive hockey just not count?

If you want to call the top 4 "transcendental players", maybe that's better. The definition and esteem of a "generational player" should probably evolve and change with their own times.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh, I didn't actually look at what you were arguing about when I made that comment, just trying to add another semantic dimension.

As far as your point goes, that's the reason why I'm unwilling to equate "generational" with the top-# players of all time — just because Gordie Howe raised the bar on what a person could accomplish while the sport was already half as old as it is now, and we've seen 2 more players approach that level since (3 if you want to include Lemieux), do the first 60 years of competitive hockey just not count?

If you want to call the top 4 "transcendental players", maybe that's better. The definition and esteem of a "generational player" should probably evolve and change with their own times.
Great point. If you want to define "generational player" as the best of his generation, then you can add guys like Howie Morenz, and possibly Hasek. Make another category for the big 4

Old
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
The belief that era factors influence scoring rates and the rejection of a bogus bonus points formula are two thoughts that cannot coexist seems to be what you're insinuating, here. I can't really say why someone would come to a conclusion like that.

Quote:
I was specifically referring to playoffs and should have specified Roy's Montreal years.

Buffalo, in the playoffs, provided Hasek with significantly more goal support than Brodeur received from 1997-1999. Neither Hasek or Brodeur ever did anything in the playoffs without receiving significant goal support.

When Buffalo went to the finals in 1999, they scored at a higher rate in the playoffs than the Canadiens did in for their 1986 and 1993 Cup years.

Buffalo's team defense was not close to Montreal or NJ's, but their scorers held up their end of the bargain in the playoffs.
So, in short, what you're telling me is Roy's got a good case as a generational player in goal. I already said that.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

My pick would be Roy (no surprise given my name and avi), and I'm happy so see Dryden get at least a shout-out.

I'm a little surprised, but I haven't seen Eddie Belfour mentioned. How does the panel see him stacking up with Roy, Hasek, and Broduer (who seem to get the most mentions)?

Last edited by Morgoth Bauglir: 10-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
My pick would be Roy (no surprise given my name and avi), and I'm happy so see Dryden get at least a shout-out.

I'm a little surprised, but I haven't seen Eddie Belfour mention. How does the panel see him stacking up with Roy, Hasek, and Broduer (who seem to get the most mentions)?
I would easily classify him as the 4th best goalie of the era in which all 4 played. He was very good, but nowhere near generational.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:11 AM
DanZ

Quote:
He certainly did in Detroit and Ottawa
And surprise, surprise, he won a Cup in Detroit and very well could have in Ottawa had he not been injured...

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
It's not like those 80s and 90s Montreal teams were world beaters without Roy either.
They were certainly better than those Buffalo teams, no doubt about that...

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:

I agree that The Big 4 were *more* than generational talents. Centennial talents? 4 in 100+ years but each are incredibly unique. I don't think any goalie has reached that level.

Last edited by RabbinsDuck: 09-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.
RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote