HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hertl tops improved group of San Jose Sharks prospects

Old
09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Hertl tops improved group of San Jose Sharks prospects

The San Jose Sharks have improved the team's organizational depth with the addition of their 2012 NHL Draft selections, but it could take four to five years to see the results. Three of the team's six new draftees have high skill levels at this stage of their development and made this edition of the Sharks' Top 20 list. Newly-drafted Tomas Hertl has replaced Freddie Hamilton as the number one prospect in the San Jose Sharks organization.

Sean Kuraly is the biggest riser on the Top 20 list after an excellent season in the USHL and a stellar showing at the USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp at Lake Placid in August.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Here's the rest of my rankings and ratings for the Sharks' prospects outside the the Top 20 list as of this last article. There will surely be changes to the next top 20 list.

21. (NR) Daniel O'Regan, C, 7.0D
It's just his small stature which dropped his draft selection but this kid has a huge amount of heart, desire and passion for the game. He has a good Hockey IQ, good skating speed and skills while the ability to make things happen every time he's on the ice. The small center could make the USA team for the 2013 WJC tournament and has four years in the NCAA to gain size and strength while becoming an offensive force. If he has a good freshman season then he could move onto the Top 20 list next time.

22. (NR) J.P Anderson, G, 6.5C
He's going back to the OHL as an overage to get most of the playing time as the starter in Sarnia. There are too many goalies at the AHL level for him to get enough time to work on his game. Anderson needs to have a better save percentage and show more consistency in his play. He could move up with a good season.

23. (NR) Matt Pelech, D 6.5C
The big defender has improved his game but is running out of time as a prospect for HF site criteria. He's steady defensively but not much offensive upside to his game. He needs to stay away from the foolish stuff that gets him suspended and set the work ethic example for the young prospects in the AHL. Pelech could get a chance to fill in for injuries in San Jose.

24 (NR) Joakim Ryan, D, 7.0D
Ryan is already a very good two-way defenseman at Cornell and will have three more years to get bigger, stronger while improved his overall game. The skilled defender could make the USA team for the 2013 WJC tournament. He could jump up onto the Top 20 list next time.

25. (20) Justin Sefton, D, 6.5.C
Sefton has dropped from the adding of the new draft picks and the free agent signings with better overall skills than him. The big defenseman needs to bring more offense to his game and play better positionally, not giving up the inside ice so easily. He can get caught puck watching instead of taking his man. His OHL team has been terrible for the last two years, maybe a trade or the leaving of some of the problem players could help this season for Sefton.

26. (NR) Max Gaede, RW, 7.0D
Gaede has the hockey sense, work ethic, character, size and the overall game to project as a power forward but is really a raw talent that just needs time. He will need to improve his acceleration and overall skating over the next couple of years of development at the NCAA level. The big forward has three years to develop at Minnesota State where he needs to be more physical and bring more offense.

27. William Wrenn, D, 6.5C
Wrenn is an overage who can't return to the CHL so the Sharks need to find a place in the ECHL or AHL. He still has another year before the team loses his rights because he left early from the NCAA. He could sign an AHL contract to see if he has the defensive game to play at the pro-level because Wrenn doesn't have a lot of offensive upside to his game.

28. (NR) Matt Irwin, D, 6.0C
Irwin could be an injury replacement call-up. He's an offensive defenseman with a rocket of a shot and jumps into the play offensively when the opportunity arises. He has improved his defensive game each year since leaving College but the big defender has to play more physical down low to play at the NHL level. He just doesn't have the defensive game that the others possess and is at best a 7th or 8th defenseman in the NHL but a good AHL player. Time is also running out as a prospect for HF site criteria so I didn't move him to a 6.0B or up on the list.

29. (NR) Clifford Watson, D 6.5D
Watson is a big shutdown defenseman with some offensive upside and good puck moving skills. The stay-at-home defender needs to work on his skating speed, pivots and better angling while gaining more strength and improving his offensive skills. He was committed early to play for Ohio State University and will start his NCAA development this fall.

30. (17) Marek Viedensky, 6.0C
Viedensky dropped from the Draft picks and free agent signings but he also had a tough season and could find himself in the ECHL if he doesn't improve his offensive game. He can be a better penalty killer than last season and could gain confidence from his defensive game.

31. (NR) James Livingston, 6.5D
Livingston has to do more what he does well, drive the oppositions net and play a hard checking game. He had a good rookie season in the AHL but will need to improve his offensive game even more this season. It’s still too early to tell if he's going to make the NHL as a third or fourth line defensive checker.

32. (NR) Thomas Heemskerk, G, 6.0C
Heemskerk has a solid work ethic, quiet confidence and doesn't lose his positioning when the speed of the game increases. The big goaltender has an ability to stay consistent with his efficient, narrowed stance and his hybrid butterfly style. The second year pro needs to improve his lateral cross crease speed and learn to read the play a little quicker. He will be in a dog fight for a spot in Worcester but he needs to play as many games as possible to improve his game.

33. (NR) Curt Gogol, LW, 6.0D
The agitator has the tools to be a useful two-way player but needs to add more strength, better balance on his skates and learn to pick his fights. The scrappy winger needs to reduce the foolish penalties and work on improving his overall game. He's a long way from making the NHL at this time but might make in as an energy role player if he can improve offensively.

34. (NR) Isaac MacLeod, D, 6.0D
MacLeod is a smooth skating defenseman who has an active stick, sound positioning in the defensive zone and is good at filling the lanes to block shots. The lanky defender needs to continue improving his reverse pivots, balance, and leverage while gaining more muscle mass to his 6’-5 frame. He needs to work on moving the puck quicker in the transition game and play more physically down low in his own end. The big man has two year left in the NCAA at Boston College.

35. (NR) Frazer McLaren, LW, 5.5D
McLaren only has the tools to be a fourth line checker and an enforcer but needs to improve his skating and bring more offense in order to stay in the NHL at this role. This could be his last chance to make the NHL Sharks as time is running out on the big man.

36. (NR) Brodie Reid, RW, 5.0C
Reid is a natural scorer with a quick accurate release who seems to find the open ice and real nose for the net. The offensively skilled winger has a good work ethic, listens well to instruction and practices hard to improve his overall game. He needs to get strong on the boards and has to improve his four step acceleration and balance to play at the faster speed at the NHL level. The streaky scorer has scored at every level he's play at and just needs to adjust to the Pro-level. Reid could move farther up the list if he can improve on last season's numbers. He just doesn't have the rest of the game to play in the NHL so he's a real long shot.

37. (NR) Chris Crane, RW, 5.0D
Crane plays really well on the boards, has a good work ethic, a nose for the puck around the net and thrives when he drives the high traffic areas to score most of his goals. The physical forward will need to improve his first four step acceleration, shooting while in stride and his defensive play without the puck. He has two years left in the NCAA but is a real long shot to become a pro.

I just wanted you, the Sharks fans to see where I place the all the prospects and feel free to pick them apart. I am always looking for good opinions on a team's prospects and why they should be ranked higher or lower than they are.

Thanks for reading the Top 20 list article and these other rankings. Your opinions and thoughts about players are important to the HF site.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Thanks for the extended info. Always a pleasure to read.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:29 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
no double space

Challenge accepted.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
no double space

Challenge accepted.
Cool, just make sure you give me solid arguments as to your choices not just I like that player better. Give me why? Should be fun!

Old
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
hockeyball

I like the pics for the most part, the Sharks picks are very very hard to rank because of the way (and position) they draft. Many of our best players come out of absolutely nowhere (Pavelski, Clowe, Demers, Braun, etc). O'Reagen could end up being the best NHL player of the bunch for instance (just a for instance, not a prediction) and that is nearly impossible to tell right now so it makes ranking tough.

It all comes down to how you are judging them. Who is most likely to make the NHL, who is most likely to be the best NHL player if they meet potential, etc.

It's one of the best lists I've seen HF staff put together for us. We generally are pretty unhappy with them.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Great run down! Far and away the best I've read so far.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I like the pics for the most part, the Sharks picks are very very hard to rank because of the way (and position) they draft. Many of our best players come out of absolutely nowhere (Pavelski, Clowe, Demers, Braun, etc). O'Reagen could end up being the best NHL player of the bunch for instance (just a for instance, not a prediction) and that is nearly impossible to tell right now so it makes ranking tough.

It all comes down to how you are judging them. Who is most likely to make the NHL, who is most likely to be the best NHL player if they meet potential, etc.

It's one of the best lists I've seen HF staff put together for us. We generally are pretty unhappy with them.
I have to agree with you on the Sharks draft picks. It is the same for most teams but the Sharks in the last five years (at least) prior to this year's draft, have traded away their middle round picks but have multiple picks in the sixth and seventh rounds. The Sharks have been good at selecting potential NHl players in the late rounds and out of the NCAA. I don't see the Sharks prospects as the 30th ranked team now or even before the 2012 NHL entry draft. They should move to a better ranking in the next one put out by the HF writers if I have my way.

Thank you for the nice comments about my ratings and rankings, it's really appreciated!

Old
09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Great run down! Far and away the best I've read so far.
Thank you very much and I really apprciate it!

Old
09-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

No Stalock?

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
No Stalock?
According to the article, he's aged out of the "rookie" label.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:17 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
For the record, if he hadn't aged out, I would have him at number 10 on the Top 20list as the best goal prospect for the Sharks. He's going to have banged a lot of his rust off in the off-season and should be good to go come the start of the NHL or AHL training camp depending on whether there's an NHL Lockout.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:07 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Outstanding write-up! I admit to not following SJ prospects outside of the AHL as much as I should.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

Horrible article. Irwin has to be #1.

Also, didn't Crane had a really good season in college last year?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
By being past his 25th birthday, apparently....and yet there is a player listed that is past his 25th birthday.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
By being past his 25th birthday, apparently....and yet there is a player listed that is past his 25th birthday.
Which one?

It depends on when they signed their NHL entry level contract and for how long according to the HF sites rules on how players are considered prospects. Out of the CHL or NCAA or Europe at different times will determine the maximum age of the prospects. Stalock played his three years after leaving university early and signing a two year entry level contract then getting a one year contract for 2011-12. He hit age 25 and the three years also. If he was younger then he would be considered still a prospect until he reached age 25. If Stalock had finished the last year of university and then signed his two year NHL entry level contract the HF site would allow one more year as a prospect even though he would be 26. I hope that explains it a little. It is difficult at times with the different contract rules in the old CBA agreement.

Last note, there are players who might need to be removed from the Sharks HF page but there has been admin trouble with the changes to the site.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Horrible article. Irwin has to be #1.

Also, didn't Crane had a really good season in college last year?
Thanks so much, so why does Irwin have to be #1? Explain it to me.

Crane had an okay season but has so many issues to improve in his game. He's a really long shot at this time.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post

Crane had an okay season but has so many issues to improve in his game. He's a really long shot at this time.
Don't mind Kitton Mittons. He's got some sort of man-love going on with Irwin. Creeps me out, personally, but what can you do?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
The same reason Jesus is #1 in my heart. Irwin is God among men.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Kitten Mittons

But to be honest, I really think he's underrated; especially when you have people drooling over projects like Doherty and Petrecki (not so much the latter anymore). I want him to get a shot in the big leagues to prove himself.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Which one?

It depends on when they signed their NHL entry level contract and for how long according to the HF sites rules on how players are considered prospects. Out of the CHL or NCAA or Europe at different times will determine the maximum age of the prospects. Stalock played his three years after leaving university early and signing a two year entry level contract then getting a one year contract for 2011-12. He hit age 25 and the three years also. If he was younger then he would be considered still a prospect until he reached age 25. If Stalock had finished the last year of university and then signed his two year NHL entry level contract the HF site would allow one more year as a prospect even though he would be 26. I hope that explains it a little. It is difficult at times with the different contract rules in the old CBA agreement.

Last note, there are players who might need to be removed from the Sharks HF page but there has been admin trouble with the changes to the site.
The Man. The Myth. The Legend. And since you haven't been around here long enough to know who that is yet...

Matt Pelech

Old
09-07-2012, 02:54 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Don't mind Kitton Mittons. He's got some sort of man-love going on with Irwin. Creeps me out, personally, but what can you do?
Wow! I really hope he's let down easy. Could be heart break for Kitton Mittons!

Old
09-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

Matt Pelech is so good, no one will ever dare to strip any title off him. And yes that includes "sexual offender" on these boards.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
But to be honest, I really think he's underrated; especially when you have people drooling over projects like Doherty and Petrecki (not so much the latter anymore). I want him to get a shot in the big leagues to prove himself.
He is very under rated. Everyone here knows how much I detest these silly rankings, but to me him not being at least in the top 20 (and I would even go as far to say top 15) makes me scratch my head in amazement.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Matt Pelech is so good, no one will ever dare to strip any title off him. And yes that includes "sexual offender" on these boards.
Pelech is so good he really should have been listed twice.