HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks in 3-5 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2012, 03:33 AM
  #1
Korolyuk15
Registered User
 
Korolyuk15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Sharks in 3-5 years

Idea was posted on the main boards but wanted to get a little bit more in detail with fellow sharks fans who know more than me about the sharks prospects.


So, here it is, what do you think the sharks roster will look like in 3-5 years. There is almost no one signed up until then, so obviously this is very speculative.

For my predictions I have not included any potential trades/Free agents, but if you want to do so perhaps just list the type of player rather than a specific name.

What do you guys think? Defence doesn't look too bad, lots of prospects to choose from, but the forward core looks very weak.





Forwards

Marleau - Couture - Wingels

Nieto - Pavelski - Hertl

Vidensky - Hamilton - Galiardi

Mashinter - Moon - Stalberg



Defence


Vlasic - Burns

Braun - Demers

Pelech - Petrecki

Doherty/Abeltshauser/Irwin


Goaltending

Stalock
Sexsmith


Original Thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1254465

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:42 AM
  #2
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,369
vCash: 500
If by Moon you mean Nathan Moon, he was not San Jose property and is no longer in the organization.

Viedensky doesn't play left wing.

Stalberg is not a 4th line player...he doesn't have the skill set for it. I think he has 2nd line potential.

I know folks are in love with the idea of Pelech scaring the crap out of NHL forwards just by his mere presence on the ice, but he's a stop-gap at best and will likely never be an everyday NHL player. He is the classic "almost good enough" player.

Sexsmith is no longer in the organization.


Last edited by 210: 09-02-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: kant spill
210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
  #3
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Ok, here's mine.

Goal - Stalock and Sateri

Defense - Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Tennyson, Abeltshauser and Pelech

Forwards - Jumbo, Pavs, Logan, Wingels, Desi, Burish, Stalberg, Hamilton, Groude, Oleksuk, Nieto, Hertl

Notes:
- add in some new high end picks that make the team
- add in some decent prospects we'll get from other teams for tradiing away core players
- of the Prospects i've listed half won't make it

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:40 AM
  #4
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Ok, here's mine.

Goal - Stalock and Sateri

Defense - Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Tennyson, Abeltshauser and Pelech

Forwards - Jumbo, Pavs, Logan, Wingels, Desi, Burish, Stalberg, Hamilton, Groude, Oleksuk, Nieto, Hertl
What a great story that would be...it would rival the Desjardins' climb to the NHL.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:41 AM
  #5
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
What a great story that would be...it would rival the Desjardins' climb to the NHL.
i can't help but be optimistic.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
  #6
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
i can't help but be optimistic.
I can't recall saying this about any player other than Logan Couture after seeing him play so few games, but Gourde absolutely has the speed and skills to play in the NHL. The issue will be his durability in the pro game because he's tiny. We'll get a better idea on how well he'll hold up come January/February.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
  #7
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch
 
CommanderShepard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Couture-pavelski-nieto
marleau-thornton-
Hamilton-hertl-kurlay
galliardi-desjardins-tierney

vlasic,burns
Braun-demers
petrecki-moiffe
pelch

stalock
sateri

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:03 AM
  #8
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Couture Hertl Nieto
Marleau Thornton Pavelski
Stalberg Hamilton Wingels
Oleksuk Desjardins Tierney

Burns Vlasic
Demers Irwin
Braun Petrecki
Pelech

Stalock
Sateri

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:44 AM
  #9
JumboThornton92
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
No more Sexsmith?

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
  #10
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I can't recall saying this about any player other than Logan Couture after seeing him play so few games, but Gourde absolutely has the speed and skills to play in the NHL. The issue will be his durability in the pro game because he's tiny. We'll get a better idea on how well he'll hold up come January/February.
I admit i've not seen him play, so i am am relying on you and others for analysis and scouting.

I agree on the durability issue. I'd add that for a player like this to make it this far he has to have a hart of a lion...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  #11
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboThornton92 View Post
No more Sexsmith?
Correct. I don't think it was so much for his play as it was that have so many goalies in the system and he was the odd man out so to speak.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
  #12
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboThornton92 View Post
No more Sexsmith?
Nope, he was not qualified...there was no place for him to play so they cut him loose.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
  #13
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,739
vCash: 50
Bored and temporarily optimistic.

F: Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Nieto, Kuraly, Wingels, Hamilton, Stalberg, Desjardins, Mashinter, Galiardi
D: Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Tennyson, Ryan, Abeltshauser
G: Stalock, Greiss

Hertl/Couture/Pavelski
Wingels/Kuraly/Nieto
Marleau/Thornton/Hamilton
Mashinter/Desjardins/Galiardi
Stalberg

Vlasic/Burns
Braun/Demers
Tennyson/Ryan
Abeltshauser

Stalock
Greiss

Like I said, optimistically.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  #14
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
lineup in 3-5 years........hhmmmmmmmmm.. No reason to think Marleau and JT wont still be effective at age 35/36, so with that in mind going 3 years:

Grabner-JT- Pavs
Marleau-Juicy-Havlat
Wingels-Hertl-Galliardi
Burish-Desi-Viedensky


Vlasic/Burns
Gunnarsson/Braun
Abeltshauser/veteran

Stalock
Griess

5yr plan

Grabner-Hertl-Pavs
Stalberg-Juicy-Wingels
Galliardi-JT-Neito
Hamilton-Desi- Groude

Vlasic-burns
Gunnarsson-braun
Abeltshauser-Irwin

stalock
someone


FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:31 PM
  #15
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,739
vCash: 50
Thinking again, maybe I'd keep JT in the #2C slot, and put Kuraly in the #3C slot with Marleau and Hamilton. Also, I forgot we have Burish signed for the rest of infinity.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
  #16
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 23,700
vCash: 500
I'm not going to attempt a mock line up for that far ahead, but drafting, development and proper spending of money will be important for the future of the team.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:12 PM
  #17
Mafoofoo
Jawesome
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
I swear we must be the only fanbase that actively wants to get rid of our best player and top center.

Anyways I'm not gonna make a list because I know dick about prospects other than the ones with the cool names but I'm sure Thornton will be the 2nd or 1B center with Couture as the 1 or 1A.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
  #18
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Thinking again, maybe I'd keep JT in the #2C slot, and put Kuraly in the #3C slot with Marleau and Hamilton. Also, I forgot we have Burish signed for the rest of infinity.
Glad you brought up Kuraly. IMO, the two prospects most likely to make the show with the Sharks are Nieto and Kuraly with a strong chance for Hamilton. I think there will be a whole bunch of outsiders brought in for the lower lines until they are ready. I think Mash and McLaren are gone. I think they will be looking outside for defense with the current prospect pool.

I think there will be a big difference between the 3 year projection and the 5 year projection. When the Sharks miss the playoffs, the axe will fall on some of the big guys, possibly including JT. I think they have a good chance for making the playoffs for the next 3 seasons; I think season 4 will be seriously in doubt. Descending odds with each passing season with next season having the best odds of making the playoffs. For a return to the playoffs, they will have to draft/develop some elite talent beyond Vlasic/Couture and Burns will have to hit elite level. I see Boyle as being the first big guy to fall.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
  #19
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Ok, here's mine.

Goal - Stalock and Sateri

Defense - Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Tennyson, Abeltshauser and Pelech

Forwards - Jumbo, Pavs, Logan, Wingels, Desi, Burish, Stalberg, Hamilton, Groude, Oleksuk, Nieto, Hertl

Notes:
- add in some new high end picks that make the team
- add in some decent prospects we'll get from other teams for tradiing away core players
- of the Prospects i've listed half won't make it
I'll add that this may not be a playoff team. Filled with a lot of 15-20 goal scorers and or 2nd or 3rd liners - no real high end players.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
  #20
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Glad you brought up Kuraly. IMO, the two prospects most likely to make the show with the Sharks are Nieto and Kuraly with a strong chance for Hamilton. I think there will be a whole bunch of outsiders brought in for the lower lines until they are ready. I think Mash and McLaren are gone. I think they will be looking outside for defense with the current prospect pool.

I think there will be a big difference between the 3 year projection and the 5 year projection. When the Sharks miss the playoffs, the axe will fall on some of the big guys, possibly including JT. I think they have a good chance for making the playoffs for the next 3 seasons; I think season 4 will be seriously in doubt. Descending odds with each passing season with next season having the best odds of making the playoffs. For a return to the playoffs, they will have to draft/develop some elite talent beyond Vlasic/Couture and Burns will have to hit elite level. I see Boyle as being the first big guy to fall.
Hamilton is probably the guy I think is the surest bet to be a Shark, even if he's a 4th liner. I think he'll be a very solid to elite 3rd liner (not deserving of a 7.5C, but certainly a 7.0B). Watching him at the WJC, he was arguably TC's best forward of the tournament. He was one of the leading scorers on TC (somewhere around 4th, with 6 points in 7 games) playing primarily in 3rd line minutes, always against the other team's top lines, and played heavy PK minutes, strong skating, and a decent physical game. He seems like the ideal 3rd liner to me. He constantly stood out to me all tournament with his hustle and smarts. I really like his chances of making the NHL.

Nieto is another guy I like's chances. I've been raving on here about him since before he was drafted, since I used to watch quite a few BU games. I didn't get a chance to see him much last season, but the two before I did and I was consistently impressed by his wheels and pivots and hands. He does need to bulk up, like KirbyDots says, but I like his offensive upside and his two-way game, and obviously those rockets in his skates.

And while I haven't seen Kuraly play, I've read tons about his performance and people who watched the whole tourney raved about him the whole time, so he looks like another guy who has a good chance to put it all together.

And lastly is Hertl, who I only vaguely remember from the last WJC. I'm going to reserve judgement on him until I actually watch him skate a whole game (ideally at this year's WJC), but he seems to have the highest offensive upside of them all, even if he's a bit of a project.

The one thing that seems, to me, to connect all of these prospects, is that they're all a while away. So I really think that we need to start a major retool right now so these kids catch on just as the team is back on the rise.

I think we have enough role players in the system, but you're very right. We do need to hit on some elite talent. And as we know, elite talent can be had in the mid-late first round. You just need to draft right. I'm still very confused as to why the Sharks passed on Teravainen, as much as I like Hertl, but maybe they know something we don't? I'm absolutely certain that DW was trying to trade up to grab one of Forsberg or Grigorenko, but couldn't, so at least he's trying.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 07:05 PM
  #21
Kegsey
#joeMONEY
 
Kegsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
Idea was posted on the main boards but wanted to get a little bit more in detail with fellow sharks fans who know more than me about the sharks prospects.


So, here it is, what do you think the sharks roster will look like in 3-5 years. There is almost no one signed up until then, so obviously this is very speculative.

For my predictions I have not included any potential trades/Free agents, but if you want to do so perhaps just list the type of player rather than a specific name.

What do you guys think? Defence doesn't look too bad, lots of prospects to choose from, but the forward core looks very weak.





Forwards

Marleau - Couture - Wingels

Nieto - Pavelski - Hertl

Vidensky - Hamilton - Galiardi

Mashinter - Moon - Stalberg



Defence


Vlasic - Burns

Braun - Demers

Pelech - Petrecki

Doherty/Abeltshauser/Irwin


Goaltending

Stalock
Sexsmith


Original Thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1254465
Are you saying Jumbo will be traded, or will have to retire early?

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
  #22
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nieto is another guy I like's chances. I've been raving on here about him since before he was drafted, since I used to watch quite a few BU games. I didn't get a chance to see him much last season, but the two before I did and I was consistently impressed by his wheels and pivots and hands. He does need to bulk up, like KirbyDots says, but I like his offensive upside and his two-way game, and obviously those rockets in his skates.
project.
Yeah completely agree, the kid has all the skills. Hopefully he can add the needed muscle and put it all together as he's exactly to type of player the Sharks need and the fans would love.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:42 PM
  #23
Shark Fin
Registered User
 
Shark Fin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
I saw the title of this thread and it scared me

Shark Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:27 AM
  #24
Korolyuk15
Registered User
 
Korolyuk15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
If by Moon you mean Nathan Moon, he was not San Jose property and is no longer in the organization.

Viedensky doesn't play left wing.

Stalberg is not a 4th line player...he doesn't have the skill set for it. I think he has 2nd line potential.

I know folks are in love with the idea of Pelech scaring the crap out of NHL forwards just by his mere presence on the ice, but he's a stop-gap at best and will likely never be an everyday NHL player. He is the classic "almost good enough" player.

Sexsmith is no longer in the organization.

Thanks for all the info! I am no where close to being an expert or even sort of knowledgble about the sharks development system, so just sort of went by the information on the sharks website, picking players based on their stats and what positional information I could find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Are you saying Jumbo will be traded, or will have to retire early?

I don't think he will retire early but I just don't see the sharks keeping both him and Marleau in the 3 and especially the 5 year time frame. If the sharks really tank one of the two could get traded at the deadline, or just leave via UFA due to the sharks inability to win a cup with the current core or for a higher paycheque somewhere else.

Personally I have always liked Marleau a little bit more (I know there are people will fight me to the death over this), so if it were up to me (probably a good thing it isn't) I would keep Marleau around until he retires.

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 08:31 AM
  #25
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin View Post
I saw the title of this thread and it scared me
You think the title is scary, wait and see what the team is like in 3 to 5 years

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.