HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Duncan Siemens

Old
09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 500
Duncan Siemens

Avs fan here, looking to discuss with some guys out west what they knows about Siemens. I've read he's a great defensive dman with some offense. He was drafted at 6'3 193 pounds. He came into training camp this year as 6'4 209 pounds. Sounds like a big strong kid. From people who watched him last year, what do you think his ceiling is? How good can he be offensively. For anybody who may have seen him at camp this year, has he turned beastly with that added size, or is that about where he was when he ended off last year?

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
Looked pretty good at camp so far, but it's not really a true measuring stick because he's been battling against 15 and 16 year olds. Should get into a couple of the Blades exhibition games in the next two weeks and that should give us a better taste of how he developed over the summer.

Overall I think he had an ok year last season. He was much better defensively than he was in 2010-2011. His offensive game didn't develop as much but that's what happens when you are counted on to be THE go-to shutdown guy on the team for the first time.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
kento19
@kento19

Thanks renegade. Forgot I could just ask you haha. Sacco said publically there is room on the back end of the big club for anybody to step up and make it, including Siemens. Any chance he's ready if there's a season?

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Flyers supposedly loved him before the draft, and would have drafted him if Couturier wasn't there.

Is Coburn a good comparison?

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Thanks renegade. Forgot I could just ask you haha. Sacco said publically there is room on the back end of the big club for anybody to step up and make it, including Siemens. Any chance he's ready if there's a season?
No chance, I'd expect Barrie or possibly Gaunce to be the next two and maybe Elliott if his defensive game improves.

Siemens is probably staying with the Blades all yr even if there is a season, they're hosting the mem cup.

Not a bad thing, prevents there from being a logjam on defence on the big and farm club (which I'd argue was caused by the re-signing of SOB/Hunwick).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Not a chance.

I've been hearing that he might go to Lake Erie for their training camp at the end of this month, but that might get blocked by the CHL because he's not even AHL-eligible during the year this season.

He'll spend the year in Saskatoon as their top D as they host the Memorial Cup. The Avs have a logjam on D so playing Siemens makes zero sense.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:30 PM
puckfan13

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Stripping+Siemens+letter+unneeded+distraction/7334739/story.html

Siemens got stripped of his captaincy and hasn't even been awarded an alternate captain role. The article also says he has been healthy scratched a few times in the past year which I wasn't really aware of as well, however I do remember something similar happening with Colten Teubert and the Pats in his 18-year old year.

Would be interesting if Renegade could shed some light on this, maybe because he works for the Blades it might be a sensitive topic right now, but anything would be appreciated.

Wonder how Avs fans feel on this topic. Seems like a pretty extreme move, obviously Molleken wanted to shake things up and get everyone's attention. If Siemens is unhappy, maybe he demands a trade, wouldn't mind the Oil Kings trying to acquire him with their depleted blue line although it seems unlikely when they are in the same conference and both contenders.. 3 way trade maybe? Haha I can hope..

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

RS posted about it on the Avs board. IMO I see this as a learning and can only grow stronger from this experience. Remember he was one of the youngest players drafted in 2011 and definitely won't be making the Avs roster for another 2-3 years.

I know youre joking about the trade, but yeah doubt he will be traded from Memorial Cup hosts. Except for a major overhaul of young players for a full rebuild.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
RS posted about it on the Avs board. IMO I see this as a learning and can only grow stronger from this experience. Remember he was one of the youngest players drafted in 2011 and definitely won't be making the Avs roster for another 2-3 years.

I know youre joking about the trade, but yeah doubt he will be traded from Memorial Cup hosts. Except for a major overhaul of young players for a full rebuild.
Yeah it was a complete joke, I know that's not happening. Thanks though, I'll go check out the Avs board for more discussion!

Old
10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Won't say too much, except that this whole situation is being WAY overblown. Siemens was embarrassed more than anything....not mad at his teammates or the coaches. He's not about to let it turn into a lockerroom killing situation.

He's manned up, taken it in stride and has been fantastic ever since Walker was named C and named his alternates without including Siemens.

It's less pressure for him and I think that's a good thing.

Looking back, handing the C to a barely-turned 18 year old last season ended up being the wrong choice and it really wasn't Siemens fault that the experiment never worked out.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Fozz

Siemens looked pretty bad on Dumba's goal last night...

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:45 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
And what? He had a really solid game besides that.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
And so would have any defender in the league...

Old
10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Won't say too much, except that this whole situation is being WAY overblown. Siemens was embarrassed more than anything....not mad at his teammates or the coaches. He's not about to let it turn into a lockerroom killing situation.

He's manned up, taken it in stride and has been fantastic ever since Walker was named C and named his alternates without including Siemens.

Looking back, handing the C to a barely-turned 18 year old last season ended up being the wrong choice and it really wasn't Siemens fault that the experiment never worked out.
That's good to hear. From the outside looking in it looked a lot worse than what it sounds like it really is.

10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Kulemon

So no one knows or can say what Siemens did to have that happen to him?

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

While I mostly agree, can you really say it's being "WAY overblown." Lorne obviously knew what he was doing and the noise it would create when he made the decision, especially when he didn't even get an A. He's an 11th overall pick top prospect so it is going to create some news and blowback.

With that being said, if it was the right long-term decision made with sound reasoning, I don't see any reason to question the decision. If you feel its best for your team in a Memorial Cup season you have to do it. Not a lot of room for margin for error this season and if there was trouble in the room with respecting his leadership, obviously changes were needed and it could end up benefitting his game.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:39 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
While I mostly agree, can you really say it's being "WAY overblown." Lorne obviously knew what he was doing and the noise it would create when he made the decision, especially when he didn't even get an A. He's an 11th overall pick top prospect so it is going to create some news and blowback.

With that being said, if it was the right long-term decision made with sound reasoning, I don't see any reason to question the decision. If you feel its best for your team in a Memorial Cup season you have to do it. Not a lot of room for margin for error this season and if there was trouble in the room with respecting his leadership, obviously changes were needed and it could end up benefitting his game.
Yes, I can say it's being way overblown.

For example, our local beat writer came out with an opinion piece basically claiming this has caused a huge distraction and that it could cause a big divide in the lockerroom. It hasn't and it won't.

Those kinds of stories make me say this situation is being overblown.

Siemens is over it and is even seeming to enjoy being around the rink and his teammates more than he ever did last season, not having that extra pressure now.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:44 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Yes, I can say it's being way overblown.

For example, our local beat writer came out with an opinion piece basically claiming this has caused a huge distraction and that it could cause a big divide in the lockerroom. It hasn't and it won't.

Those kinds of stories make me say this situation is being overblown.

Siemens is over it and is even seeming to enjoy being around the rink and his teammates more than he ever did last season, not having that extra pressure now.
Yeah, I agree the opinion piece was quite overblown. I was more referring to general fan reaction like in this thread sort of thing, more curiosity than overblowing it - should have specified more.

Will be watching Siemens closely, should be interesting to see how he bounces back from this. Been following his development since him and Scarlett ran the show in bantam in Sherwood Park.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

I didnt think much of Siemens but he really impressed me at the Subway series. Also seemed to pick it up in the games after that series! Maybe a little confidence boost, good to see!

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote