HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Quick, where are those little heart paddles? The ones George Clooney uses!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  #201
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,871
vCash: 500
Yup. iPhone looking pretty stale (or at least not really pushing the envelope).

Fifth row of icons... magical. Beautiful.

Clock is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
  #202
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Omfg. Apple misses with the Nano too. No GPS. It has been my belief that they could make the Nano the ultimate fitness accessory. They should hire me dammit.
I'd kill to have GPS on my iTouch 4.

Please Apple? Please?

BuiltTagonTough is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
  #203
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
I'm happy to have LTE on my iPhone finally, although the rest of it doesn't really blow me away.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
  #204
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yup. iPhone looking pretty stale (or at least not really pushing the envelope).

Fifth row of icons... magical. Beautiful.
Well, when you release a new phone every year you can't really change a whole lot.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
  #205
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 500
Looks like a lot of boring with the iPhone 5. Slightly bigger screen, fifth row of app space, better camera, thinner and lighter. Meh. Best news from that meeting is that the iPhone 4 is free now.

Myllz is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
  #206
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Looks like a lot of boring with the iPhone 5. Slightly bigger screen, fifth row of app space, better camera, thinner and lighter. Meh. Best news from that meeting is that the iPhone 4 is free now.
To be honest, the two primary complaints I've read over the last two years about iPhones have been that it didn't have LTE, and other phones had larger screens.

They got that done here at least.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
  #207
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
To be honest, the two primary complaints I've read over the last two years about iPhones have been that it didn't have LTE, and other phones had larger screens.

They got that done here at least.
Yeah, it's not terrible or anything, just not really enough where I'd want to make the jump. However, considering the price structure is the same as the iPhone 4 was, there's some decent upgrades there for new orders.

Myllz is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
  #208
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm happy to have LTE on my iPhone finally, although the rest of it doesn't really blow me away.
Sooooo LTE is a platform that allows a device to transfer data quicker?

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
  #209
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Yeah, it's not terrible or anything, just not really enough where I'd want to make the jump. However, considering the price structure is the same as the iPhone 4 was, there's some decent upgrades there for new orders.
Yeah.

I think by now, there isn't a ton of people on Android who are being convinced to move to iPhones, or vice versa. Obviously there's some movement every time a new phone is released, but for the most part I think people are already using the platform they like, and unless something radical changes they'll stay where they are.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
  #210
Penalty Killa
glitter skates
 
Penalty Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sabres Nation
Country: United States
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
Droid user here.

Not by choice. By husband.

Penalty Killa is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
  #211
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,619
vCash: 500
I think the phone "wars" are pointless, at least on the user side.

Some people like Apple.

Some people like Droids.

But you don't have to fight and ***** at every corner of the Internet on what is "better". It's pretty clear that Samsung makes better phones spec wise. But some people don't care about that. Or if something is 9% better on Droid. They're all powerful machines.

My iPhone 4 does all I need it to do. I have no interest in upgrading to 5. Next time around, I'll re-evaluate my phone options and see what's best for me without fanboys on either side telling me that one side is better than the other.

tl;dr: can't we all just get along?

Afino is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
  #212
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
I hear that. I never understood why people hate on either side. Buy the phone that works for you, and don't buy the one you don't like.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
  #213
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I think the phone "wars" are pointless, at least on the user side.

Some people like Apple.

Some people like Droids.

But you don't have to fight and ***** at every corner of the Internet on what is "better". It's pretty clear that Samsung makes better phones spec wise. But some people don't care about that. Or if something is 9% better on Droid. They're all powerful machines.

My iPhone 4 does all I need it to do. I have no interest in upgrading to 5. Next time around, I'll re-evaluate my phone options and see what's best for me without fanboys on either side telling me that one side is better than the other.

tl;dr: can't we all just get along?
SNES > Genesis.

Myllz is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
  #214
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
SNES > Genesis.
Neo Geo.

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:05 PM
  #215
Penalty Killa
glitter skates
 
Penalty Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sabres Nation
Country: United States
Posts: 10,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
SNES > Genesis.
Nsync > Backstreet Boys

Penalty Killa is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
  #216
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat
 
cybreSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wNY
Posts: 7,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
And we wonder why Chicago Public School's are awful




whoosh?

cybresabre is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
  #217
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
SNES > Genesis.
Never.

Shadowrun Genesis >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shadowrun SNES

As Shadowrun is one of the top 15 games on the console, that solves the conflict right there.

BackGroundMusic is online now  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
  #218
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Never.

Shadowrun Genesis >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shadowrun SNES

As Shadowrun is one of the top 15 games on the console, that solves the conflict right there.
I was an eye-fiver myself..

TakeThatTootoo is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 03:28 PM
  #219
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Nsync > Backstreet Boys
Where does 98* fit in?

Afino is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
  #220
AV18
Registered User
 
AV18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,633
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Nsync > Backstreet Boys
We're in a fight.

AV18 is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 05:14 PM
  #221
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
As far as the teachers... Tenure really pisses me off. You can be a crappy teacher and still teach our children without worry of losing your job. Unacceptable. It's just gotten out of hand in the past 30+ years.
I'm in a teacher's union and your characterization of tenure here is incorrect. Teachers with tenure can get fired and they do all the time. However, they cannot be fired at will for arbitrary reasons. Just cause has to be shown and proven in a hearing with the state. I'm not exaggerating when I say it would be impossible to teach a class without this protection. If you have to worry about every little thing you say or disciplinary action you take with a student is going to lead to your termination it takes away your ability to teach the class. If the students know that if enough of them complain to administration that they can get a teacher fired, they would be ruthless. There have to be some protections built into the system. There's also issues of academic freedom involved- what if you are teaching evolution and your principal is a creationist and decides to fire you for it? A state board would hopefully reverse that sort of termination. This is why tenure evolved and what it is meant to protect.

As for Unions in other fields I don't have as much personal experience so I can only talk in generalities. But I find it interesting that you complain about benefits like vacation days while at the same time, in most of our non-unionized corporations management only gets richer and stock prices go up, while wages go down, workers are laid off, and jobs are outsourced. Many people who post here have to deal with these issues. Do some unions ask for too much? Yes, however, unions are waaay down my list of what is wrong with America right now.

aceface33 is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  #222
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,164
vCash: 500
^

And unions are among my top 10 things very wrong with the vitality and sustained growth of this country. 30-40 years ago, I would say they were among the top 10 things right with the country. Most unions including teachers unions have gotten out of control and it's disgusting. I've seen too much to change my mind.


Edit: and my sister in law is a Williamsville teacher, I get quite the earful education on the teachers unions. Good and bad. Tenure is bad for children, period.


Last edited by ZZamboni: 09-12-2012 at 06:07 PM.
ZZamboni is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 06:24 PM
  #223
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
^

And unions are among my top 10 things very wrong with the vitality and sustained growth of this country. 30-40 years ago, I would say they were among the top 10 things right with the country. Most unions including teachers unions have gotten out of control and it's disgusting. I've seen too much to change my mind.


Edit: and my sister in law is a Williamsville teacher, I get quite the earful education on the teachers unions. Good and bad. Tenure is bad for children, period.
So they're bad cause they're bad? Ok.

aceface33 is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
  #224
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I was an eye-fiver myself..
The benefits of being with the Halloweeners greatly outweighed the Eye-Fiver's. Agira Tetsumi's Heavy Combat Armor was the best in the game.

BackGroundMusic is online now  
Old
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
  #225
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
^

And unions are among my top 10 things very wrong with the vitality and sustained growth of this country. 30-40 years ago, I would say they were among the top 10 things right with the country. Most unions including teachers unions have gotten out of control and it's disgusting. I've seen too much to change my mind.


Edit: and my sister in law is a Williamsville teacher, I get quite the earful education on the teachers unions. Good and bad. Tenure is bad for children, period.
No, not period. Period would mean there is no dispute. There clearly is.

Unions are highly important but unfortunately have been bastardized to the point of being (somewhat rightfully) hated.

I suppose one could argue that a "Bill of Rights" could be used in place of unions, but that only replaces one of the few critical advantages of a union. It doesn't do anything for the ability for workers to exercise and protect their rights. It merely establishes them.

p.s. I know 72 teachers, so my opinion means more.

----

Regarding the new iPhone.. I'm glad there isn't a lot of hardware upgrades. I don't have have to worry about any desire to upgrade my fairly new 4s.

vcv is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.