Vacation in Kauai & Kona

Old
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
Went to both Big Island, Kauai, and Maui. Put me down for Maui. Kauai is ok. The Big Island offered the volcano park, which was a must for me. Great time there on any island. Just wing it. You'll always find something to do. Get a convertible. I would love to go back someday to the same three islands, but I have two kids now. It's pricey over there.
Definitely don't get a convertible.

None of the people that live here own one and they stick out like sore thumbs. May as well just have "Tourist Here - Please Rob Me" written on it.

The only convertibles on the islands (aside form the the upscale BMW/ Ferrari, etc.) are rental cars, and the thieves know it. Get a car that will blend in a bit more. People will be nicer to you and it will deter thieves if you happen to be in a high-theft area, which unfortunately we have a lot of in Hawaii.

If you insist on going this route, get a Jeep.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post

None of the people that live here own one and they stick out like sore thumbs. May as well just have "Tourist Here - Please Rob Me" written on it.

The only convertibles on the islands (aside form the the upscale BMW/ Ferrari, etc.) are rental cars, and the thieves know it. Get a car that will blend in a bit more. People will be nicer to you and it will deter thieves if you happen to be in a high-theft area, which unfortunately we have a lot of in Hawaii.

And buy a bumper sticker, something with a surfer on it to make it look like you're "kamaaina" (local).

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonEye View Post
Went to Kauai on my honeymoon...the plan is to go back around our 10th anniversary in 2014. Definitely do the helicopter tour...well worth it. On our tour there was one part when the pilot took us essentially into the dormant volcano that formed the island. It was one of those things you can't really do justice with a camera. Also, Waimea Canyon for sure. There are a few great spots for snorkeling where you can see fish you can't see anywhere else. Wailua Falls is another good spot. For food...IDK what places still exist, but I remember Gaylord's being good. This time, we're planning to stay at the St. Regis in Princeville and from the looks of it there are some good dining choices there. I remember though that even the "hole in the wall" places we tried on our honeymoon were all between good and surprisingly excellent.

Get your hands on some coconut syrup. It's like maple syrup but 50-60% more awesome.
Good choice, St. Regis. We actually stay in Princeville every year, though not at the Regis (too $$$ for a one month stay).

Be sure to go to the Tahiti Nui in Hanalei. It looks run down but its been the same decor inside and out for many years. All the locals go there. They'll do impromptu hulas to the Hawaiian bands there. We like Thursday's with Coco and Darryl. Lots of fun....the "real Hawaii".

Old
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
Nice Avatar bud. I had the image of Ference when he threw up his middle finger at the Hab fans, but was told to take it down by the mods here. It's all good.. Go Bruins!!
Thanks. I saw it somewhere and knew I had to use it as my Avy. I been becoming such a big Ference fan, I even changed my user name.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:01 PM
eyewall

I love Hawi, a little town on the north coast of the Big Island. It's has the feel of old Hawaii since it's a small village off the beaten track. Some great hiking at the end of the road too, Pololu Valley. Beautiful.

I stay at the Kohala Village Inn, relatively cheap and right in the village.

eyewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewall View Post
I love Hawi, a little town on the north coast of the Big Island. It's has the feel of old Hawaii since it's a small village off the beaten track. Some great hiking at the end of the road too, Pololu Valley. Beautiful.

I stay at the Kohala Village Inn, relatively cheap and right in the village.
Hawi is a beautiful little town. I stayed at a little place there that was an old plantation house, very cheap and clean but rustic so right up my alley. The Hamakua coast is also a nice drive as is the drive to Waipio Valley (need a 4X4 as the road is very steep).

As for locals not liking Haoles, this is indeed the case for some locals, those that haven't experienced it likely were just in touristy areas of the island that they were on. I was born and raised and still live on Maui. Haven't been to Kauai since I was really young so I don't remember anything, but the Big Island (Hawaii Island) is nice if you go to the right places, Kona does nothing for me though, too touristy and it's mostly just old lava flows. The Captain Cook area was nice from what I recall though. I prefer the northern part of the island.

09-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Bruwinz37

My only advice is that if you want to keep friends and they happen to be coming up on anniversaries dont tell them that you two are going away to Hawaii for two weeks. Too much pressure....and they will hate you for it.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:44 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
The St. Regis, Princeville has a great location high on a cliff overlooking Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai. But, unless you go in the summer months you won't get the sunset. For a romantic dinner and spectacular sunset go to the Beach House on the south shore at Lawai. Food is the best on the island, though pricey. Go at 5:00 for cocktails and sunset. Be sure to make dinner reservations.
We were there in October and the Sunsets were around 6 PM and were spectacular every night. When we got to the Princeville Hotel at Hanalei,people would be dashing from the parking lot-a lot of people.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:45 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We had a convertible for 14 days with no problem.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

The locals always know a rental car, regardless of what you're driving. Any car that's been on the island more than a couple of years shows signs of wear from the salty air and intense sun. Rental cars, due to the constant attention, rarely show any signs of rust or wear.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the license plates on rental cars almost always start with the letter "R." This stands out because cars from Maui start with M, O'ahu start with F or G, Big Island start with H, and Kauai start with K.

The long and short of it is, don't leave valuables in the car. Break-ins are pretty rare but it's easy to avoid a bad situation by carrying your wallet and camera with you. Really, you're on vacation - what else are you driving around with? Leave the iPad at the hotel.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
The locals always know a rental car, regardless of what you're driving. Any car that's been on the island more than a couple of years shows signs of wear from the salty air and intense sun. Rental cars, due to the constant attention, rarely show any signs of rust or wear.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the license plates on rental cars almost always start with the letter "R." This stands out because cars from Maui start with M, O'ahu start with F or G, Big Island start with H, and Kauai start with K.

The long and short of it is, don't leave valuables in the car. Break-ins are pretty rare but it's easy to avoid a bad situation by carrying your wallet and camera with you. Really, you're on vacation - what else are you driving around with? Leave the iPad at the hotel.
I rent a car every year on Kauai, and sometimes on Maui. All my rental cars begin with K in Kauai. I believe in Maui they start with M. R would be too obvious. Good advice about protecting valuables. My daughter had her trunk popped and valuables stolen in Nawilili. A friend had his rental broken into at Pearl Harbor in the parking lot of the museum, of all places! He thought is was gov't protected.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:31 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
I rent a car every year on Kauai, and sometimes on Maui. All my rental cars begin with K in Kauai. I believe in Maui they start with M. R would be too obvious. Good advice about protecting valuables. My daughter had her trunk popped and valuables stolen in Nawilili. A friend had his rental broken into at Pearl Harbor in the parking lot of the museum, of all places! He thought is was gov't protected.
I never took note of what rental cars were on Maui or Hawaii but my fiancée mentioned the "R" thing for Oahu. It would make sense that they'd try to blend the cars more. Then again, if you see a Chevy Malibu driving down the Kamehameha highway, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Sorry to hear about your friend and daughter. The locals I know hate that this sort of thing goes on, it's an embarrassment to them that their own people engage in theft. I saw some locals looking in windows at Kualoa but I got the sense that they were just angsty teens desperate to look tough.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
We had a convertible for 14 days with no problem.
Congratulations.

I'm going by what I see, almost every day. The convertible option puts you in the spotlight ... Makes you a target to some. If having a car with the top down means more to you than that, then more power to you, and good luck. Some people on vacation here look for ways to better blend in and reduce their risk of becoming a victim. Skipping the convertible is definitely one of them.

But I only live here, so what the hell would I know?

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Sorry but this is a straight up wrong statement. This seems to indicate that locals don't care for their vehicles and all drive rusted up beaters. There are lots of vehicles that are very well taken care of but simply aren't regular touristy models like Mustang's for example. Any middle of the road cars that have convertibles are likely to be seen as touristy cars. BTW-The guys that are breaking in often times don't give a damn if it's a tourists car or not, they just want their fix of ice (meth) and are looking for a quick buck. That said if you see a '91 Honda or a 2010 red mustang convertible which vehicle would you expect to find more goodies in? The unfortunate thing is that many tourists come here and think that there's no crime and that they can leave their purse unattended, valuable's in their trunks or in their cars, etc. That is flat out stupid and unfortunately it feeds these kinds of people when they find a big score. BTW Maui rentals don't start with M anymore IIRC it might be H now. That said it seems that they've run out of M's because I've seen the same letter on new non tourist vehicles.

The bottom bolded statement is bang on

Quote:
I never took note of what rental cars were on Maui or Hawaii but my fiancée mentioned the "R" thing for Oahu. It would make sense that they'd try to blend the cars more. Then again, if you see a Chevy Malibu driving down the Kamehameha highway, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Sorry to hear about your friend and daughter. The locals I know hate that this sort of thing goes on, it's an embarrassment to them that their own people engage in theft. I saw some locals looking in windows at Kualoa but I got the sense that they were just angsty teens desperate to look tough.
Drugs, getting quick money, not liking people that move to Hawaii and drive up the cost of living, these are all reasons that these people do these things. That said not all local people are like this and it sounds like you've found some good ones to show you what Aloha is, unfortunately it is not practiced as much as it should be here.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Sorry but this is a straight up wrong statement. This seems to indicate that locals don't care for their vehicles and all drive rusted up beaters. There are lots of vehicles that are very well taken care of but simply aren't regular touristy models like Mustang's for example. Any middle of the road cars that have convertibles are likely to be seen as touristy cars. BTW-The guys that are breaking in often times don't give a damn if it's a tourists car or not, they just want their fix of ice (meth) and are looking for a quick buck. That said if you see a '91 Honda or a 2010 red mustang convertible which vehicle would you expect to find more goodies in? The unfortunate thing is that many tourists come here and think that there's no crime and that they can leave their purse unattended, valuable's in their trunks or in their cars, etc. That is flat out stupid and unfortunately it feeds these kinds of people when they find a big score. BTW Maui rentals don't start with M anymore IIRC it might be H now. That said it seems that they've run out of M's because I've seen the same letter on new non tourist vehicles.
Obviously people who really care for their cars will keep their in good condition. I've seen some real beauties out there, but if you see a gleaming, spotless Chevy, Nissan, or other non-luxury car with no sign of ownership (bumper stickers, coconut souljahs, etc.), there's a good chance it's a rental. Even this lolo haole knows that.

Re: plates, I think all plates for outer islands start with the same letter per county now, not just rental cars. Maui is low on or out of M's so I read that they're using L now.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Obviously people who really care for their cars will keep their in good condition. I've seen some real beauties out there, but if you see a gleaming, spotless Chevy, Nissan, or other non-luxury car with no sign of ownership (bumper stickers, coconut souljahs, etc.), there's a good chance it's a rental. Even this lolo haole knows that.

Re: plates, I think all plates for outer islands start with the same letter per county now, not just rental cars. Maui is low on or out of M's so I read that they're using L now.
Meh, I usually associate tourist cars by the most popular cars that I see tourists in regularly

L that's it, I knew it was another letter other than M because I noticed that all the new tourist cars had the same letter but then I saw it on some local cars too.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Hawgood_38
Season Tix since '97

So, we're just over a month away. We were only going to miss 2 B's games, but we'll see with the new schedule. Anyway, what types of "excursions" do we need to book ahead of time vs. what can we just wait and book while we're there?

Any advice is appreciated.

As a side note, I had to cancel my ice fishing trip next Saturday. But I shouldn't complain about being in the Garden for Opening Night.

Hawgood_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Congrats on 10 years and ENJOY !!!

01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Go see Pepper play a show. Awesome band.

I am also extremely jealous of you. That being said, have a great time. I would love to make it out there one day.
I have to second this, especially if you like Sublime or any band like that.

MD Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
bigbadjohn

i've been to kauai a couple times and the big island once. i'll try to look up some info to provide more specific suggestions but to start, i find the "revealed" guide books ("The Big Island Revealed" etc) to be full of useful information.

Kauai: I've yet to hike the Na Pali coast, but did enjoy it from sea and air. those that have hiked it enjoyed it. i can't recall the name of the hotel mentioned earlier in the thread in Princeville - but if i'm not mistaken, you can sit out on the patio and you overlook Hanalei Bay and can watch the sun set behind Bali Hai. enjoying a Martini and some poke while watching the sunset was relaxing.

Big Island: The hike out to the active lava flow on the Big Island was worth every step - it was a long hike, no trail - it's rock and lava formations. There are cones to guide you. But the view of the lava bubbling up and spreading out in front of you is amazing. It's a big island, lots to see. Choose wisely.

bigbadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
bigbadjohn

Big Island:

Kahauu Beach is famous for its snorkeling. It earns its reputation. Fish are plentiful and the colors are spectacular. The down side is you will have plenty of company.

I went on a snorkeling/sea cave/rafting trip. It was fun, but not essential. I do enjoy these sorts of things if only for the boat trip and being in the raft was an interesting change. The snorkeling paled in comparison to Kahauu Beach.

I stoopped at Puuhonua O Honaunau (Place of Refuge) for an afternoon. It was a quiet and peaceful afternoon. I enjoyed it, not so much for the historical aspects as the peaceful silence.

I went on an organized, tour-led hike on private property. It was a waterfall hike that ended at a location where you could walk behind a large waterfall. That was in the Poluolu Valley.

The Ironman triatholon is on the Big Island. I decided to go scuba diving and chose a shore dive that originated in the general area where the triatholon begins. My only advice here is if you choose to go scuba, don't do a shore dive.

The Waipaio Valley Overlook is a specatacular view. There are various ways (tours) that will take you down into the valley. I recall the overlook view more than the valley itself.

I stayed right next door to Kahauu Beach when in Kailua-Kona. To visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, I moved down to Hilo. It's a big island. I wanted to get down there and then spend the night there before spending a day at the Volcano. The Park is full of interesting spots, including the Firepit of Halemaumau. You can also walk through a lava tube, the Thurston Lava Tube, which I found interesting.

I made a point to make it to the lava flow at dusk to get the best view of the lava. If you choose to take this hike, and I recommend it, you will need sturdy walking shoes, plenty of water and a flashlight among other items. To get to the actual lava flow you have to walk over rough terrain. At the start of this area, there will be warning signs - heed them all. There will also be estimates for how far the hike is. Back when I was there ('04) the hike was 6 miles round trip. The estimated hiking time was 3 to 5 hours.

Walking in just before dusk meant I saw the bright reds of the lava. But it also meant by lingering at the actual flow, I ended up walking out in the dark. The flashlight was very important. And the difficult terrain was all the more difficult in the darkness.

While in Hilo, I also took the time to visit a few other local sights - Akaka Falls, The Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Garden, and another waterfall the name I can't recall.

Enjoy yourself. Let us know how it all went.

bigbadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote