HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Vezina Trophy Shares 1982-2014

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
  #1
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Vezina Trophy Shares 1982-2014

Here is a list of all goalies who received votes for the Vezina over their careers. A season's Vezina shares are calculated by dividing the number of Vezina points a goalie recorded that season by the number of available Vezina points. The shares method is particularly applicable to Vezina voting, since the voting system has remained constant since 1982: 5 points for 1st, 3 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. The GMs vote for the award, so the number of voters has increased from 21 to 30 over this time.

Example of calculating Vezina Shares: 2011-12

playerteampts1st2nd3rdMaxShare
Henrik LundqvistNYR120171121500.8000
Jonathan QuickLA636961500.4200
Pekka RinneNSH4244101500.2800
Mike SmithPHX3525101500.2333
Brian ElliottSTL51001500.0333
Jaroslav HalakSTL30101500.0200
Marc-Andre FleuryPIT10011500.0066
Miikka KiprusoffCAL10011500.0066

Career Vezina shares are then determined by adding up the seasonal numbers. In my opinion, career Vezina shares are the best available method at showing who NHL GMs thought had the most regular season value compared to their peers.

Weaknesses of Vezina shares
1) the metric only goes back to 1982 (when the Vezina was first voted on), so guys like Dan Bouchard and Don Edwards who had most of their best seasons before 1981-82 will rank lower than they should by this metric.
2) the metric doesnt take into account strength of competiton. Pete Peeters gets a perfect 1.0000 for 1982-83 for receiving all 21 first place votes for the Vezina. This was truly a great season, but it's very unlikely that Peeters would have recorded a unanimous share that season if competiton had been better


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-09-2015 at 09:22 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
  #2
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Vezina Trophy Shares 1982-2014

times = times a player received at least 1 vote from a GM
share = sum of seasonal Vezina shares
playertimesshare
Martin Brodeur155.4072
Dominik Hasek114.7591
Patrick Roy174.6216
Ed Belfour112.5044
Tom Barrasso71.9833
Henrik Lundqvist91.8933
Grant Fuhr81.5901
Roberto Luongo71.5600
Tim Thomas31.5533
John Vanbiesbrouck91.5329
Miikka Kiprusoff71.4333
Evgeni Nabokov61.2267
Ron Hextall51.0359
Curtis Joseph81.0247
Pete Peeters31.0190
Ryan Miller20.8667
Pekka Rinne20.8400
Pelle Lindbergh10.8381
Olaf Kolzig30.8368
Mike Vernon80.8359
Darren Puppa20.8234
Tuukka Rask30.7867
Kirk Mclean20.7528
Sergei Bobrovski20.7400
Marty Turco30.7200
Jose Theodore10.7000
Mike Liut50.6762
Bob Froese20.6286
Billy Smith30.6190
Semyon Varlamov10.6000
Illua Bryzgalov20.5867
Rejean Lemelin50.5800
Roman Turek10.5643
Jim Carey20.5154
Andy Moog80.4970
Roman Cechmanek20.4733
Byron Dafoe30.4514
Pat Riggin20.4476
Jonathan Quick30.4867
Chris Osgood40.4221
Kelly Hrudey70.3742
Al Jensen30.3524
Rollie Melanson20.3333
Sean Burke30.3138
Antti Niemi20.3134
Bryan Hayward40.2857
Dan Bouchard20.2857
Dion Mickel10.2857
Nicklas Backstrom40.2800
Carey Price40.2600
Steve Mason20.2400
Mike Smith10.2333
Craig Anderson20.2200
Ben Bishop10.2133
Mike Richter50.2098
Murray Bannerman10.2095
Clint Malarchuk20.1714
Rick Wamsley10.1714
Richard Brodeur10.1524
Tomas Vokoun40.1467
Felix Potvin20.1450
Guy Hebert30.1365
Jean-Sebastian Giguere30.1333
Eldon Reddick10.1238
Ron Tugnutt10.1059
Don Beaupre20.1048
Cam Ward20.1000
Arturs Irbe40.0977
Tommy Salo30.0957
Glenn Resch20.0952
Don Edwards10.0952
Andrew Raycroft10.0933
Patrick Lalime20.0867
Ken Wregget10.0846
Tim Cheveldae20.0810
Jimmy Howard20.0733
Trevor Kidd10.0692
Dwayne Roloson20.0667
Nikolai Khabibulin20.0600
Glenn Hanlon20.0571
Gilles Meloche10.0476
Greg Millen10.0476
Manny Legace10.0400
Ray Emery10.0400
Steve Penney10.0381
Daniel Berthiaume10.0381
Vincent Riendeau10.0381
Chris Terreri20.0377
Bill Ranford20.0363
Brian Elliott10.0333
Corey Crawford10.0333
Jon Casey20.0286
Doug Keans10.0286
Glenn Stefan10.0286
Jaroslav Halak20.0267
Christobal Huet10.0267
Brian Boucher10.0214
Manny Fernandez20.0200
Jonas Hiller10.0200
Marc-Andre Fleury20.0133
Rick Dipietro10.0133
Bob Janecyk10.0095
Peter Sidorkiewicz10.0095
Kay Whitmore10.0083
Glenn Healy10.0077
Jeff Hackett10.0071
Martin Gerber10.0067
Chris Mason10.0067
Kari Lehtinen10.0067

Data from hockeygoalies.org, except for 2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14, which I calculated myself


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-09-2015 at 10:05 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
  #3
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
very interesting, TDDM. re: quality of competition, theodore was a one-year wonder as we know (two year wonder at best), but that was a truly great year. unfortunately, he had excellent competition in patrick roy, who was having the best statistical season of his entire GOAT career and tied theodore in total vezina points but lost due to fewer first place votes.

that puts theo behind fellow two-year wonders like mclean and puppa. but even if you add up those two best years by each of them, theodore's one year should put him above them. and especially so being that '04 theodore maybe could have snagged a 3rd place finish in the '89-'92 span, or in an anomalously weak year like '96.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
  #4
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Maybe you could use Allstar team voting to get a value on Pre-1982 goalies.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
  #5
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Maybe you could use Allstar team voting to get a value on Pre-1982 goalies.
There are two problems with using All Star Teams in this way:

1) we don't have complete voting records for quite a few years
2) the method of voting has changed. Voters used to vote for their top 2, now vote for top 3, so we'd be comparing two different points systems

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:07 PM
  #6
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Brodeur season by season

Roy
1986: 1/105
1987: 2/105
1988: 8/105
1989: 87/105
1990: 91/105
1991: 44/105
1992: 95/110
1993: 3/120
1994: 34/130
1996: 5/130
1997: 25/130
1998: 5/130
1999: 1/135
2000: 5/140
2001: 19/150
2002: 105/150
2003: 17/150

Belfour
1991: 101/105
1992: 8/110
1993: 95/120
1994: 5/130
1995: 25/130
1998: 10/130
1999: 5/135
2000: 14/140
2001: 1/150
2003: 28/150
2004: 6/150

Hasek
1994: 99/130
1995: 104/130
1996: 9/130
1997: 120/130
1998: 126/130
1999: 73/135
2000: 4/140
2001: 85/150
2002: 6/150
2006: 4/150
2007: 5/150

Brodeur
1994: 5/130
1995: 7/130
1996: 32/130
1997: 73/130
1998: 57/130
1999: 17/135
2000: 8/140
2001: 42/150
2002: 7/150
2003: 131/150
2004: 89/150
2006: 48/150
2007: 122/150
2008: 113/150
2010: 32/150

I was surprised myself to find Brodeur with a significant edge on Hasek using this metric, but the above explains how it happened - Hasek received very little Vezina consideration over the course of his career, outside the 6 that he won. Brodeur, on the other hand, received significant Vezina consideration on several occasions when he didn't finish 1st. Brodeur's share in 1997 when he lost to Hasek is actually very similar to Hasek's shares for his 1999 and 2001 trophies, and is barely behind Brodeur's share for his own 2004 trophy


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
  #7
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
Thanks for doing this - it's something that I've planned to do for quite a while, but never got around to it.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:10 AM
  #8
TAnnala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,645
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Brodeur season by season
...
This kind of goes exactly how i thought it would be. Brodeur has had the most impressive longevity of goalies and one of the most impressive by any player, ever.

To be in the top of the competition for 20 years it is going to put you in top of the list that is built like this.

I still find Hasek more impressive, since he had Vezina considertaion in 11 different years compared to Brodeur's 15.

It gives a good idea of the peaks of goalies after the 82 season tough. Nice work. I kind of expected Roy to be number two, since he had a long career too.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:32 AM
  #9
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Vezina Trophy Shares 1982-2012

times = times a player received at least 1 vote from a GM
share = sum of seasonal Vezina shares
playertimesshare
Martin Brodeur155.4072
Dominik Hasek114.7591
Patrick Roy174.6216

Data from hockeygoalies.org, except for 2011-12, which I calculated myself
If you use just 1st place vote share it looks like this:

times = times a player received at least 1 First place vote from a GM
share = sum of seasonal Vezina 1st place vote shares
playertimesshare
Dominik Hasek73.6348
Martin Brodeur123.0830
Patrick Roy102.9413

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:07 PM
  #10
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
It's interesting to see how high on that list Lundqvist is already.

A. Because it seems like only yesterday he was a rookie.

B. Because he only recently won a Vezina. It's almost easy to forget how many times he's been a finalist, or at least been in consideration.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:44 PM
  #11
Kresnik
Registered User
 
Kresnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
This kind of goes exactly how i thought it would be. Brodeur has had the most impressive longevity of goalies and one of the most impressive by any player, ever.

To be in the top of the competition for 20 years it is going to put you in top of the list that is built like this.

I still find Hasek more impressive, since he had Vezina considertaion in 11 different years compared to Brodeur's 15.

It gives a good idea of the peaks of goalies after the 82 season tough. Nice work. I kind of expected Roy to be number two, since he had a long career too.
You're underrating Hasek's longevity, he was old when he entered the big league due certain circumstances and don't forget that he is still active in a top league at an age of 47.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
  #12
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
You're underrating Hasek's longevity, he was old when he entered the big league due certain circumstances and don't forget that he is still active in a top league at an age of 47.
I think the Vezina shares prove that his longevity as an elite player in the NHL is less than Brodeur or Roy. How you choose to give him credit for non-NHL accomplishments is up to you

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 06:04 PM
  #13
Kresnik
Registered User
 
Kresnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the Vezina shares prove that his longevity as an elite player in the NHL is less than Brodeur or Roy. How you choose to give him credit for non-NHL accomplishments is up to you
He didn't mention NHL and why would it matter, we all know Hasek was the best goalie in the world, or at least one of the best before he came to the NHL and he was certainly the best outside of NHL.You are leaving to many things out when you only looking at their NHL years, it's disrespectful and ignorant. His longevity in the NHL is not all that good simply because he came to the league late, so best goalie or the best in a certain league, whats more interesting to find out is up to you.

I was just pointing out the error to credit Broudeur's longevity and at the same time dismiss Hasek's, well maybe not dismiss but ignore it completely like Broudeur actually has something which Hasek doesn't. We all know Hasek has a greater longevity than Broudeur.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 06:33 PM
  #14
pluppe
Registered User
 
pluppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the Vezina shares prove that his longevity as an elite player in the NHL is less than Brodeur or Roy. How you choose to give him credit for non-NHL accomplishments is up to you
I don´t think I have ever seen anybody say he had more longevity in the NHL than those two. He simply did not play there long enough. It´s like proving Bobby Orr has less longevity than Bourque.

And I don´t want to open the whole better team debate but since the most important stat to the ones voting for the Vezina has traditionally seemed to be wins I think it is very relevant here.

(I do find the tables interesting so thank you for that)


Last edited by pluppe: 09-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
pluppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:31 AM
  #15
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
He didn't mention NHL and why would it matter, we all know Hasek was the best goalie in the world, or at least one of the best before he came to the NHL and he was certainly the best outside of NHL.You are leaving to many things out when you only looking at their NHL years, it's disrespectful and ignorant. His longevity in the NHL is not all that good simply because he came to the league late, so best goalie or the best in a certain league, whats more interesting to find out is up to you.

I was just pointing out the error to credit Broudeur's longevity and at the same time dismiss Hasek's, well maybe not dismiss but ignore it completely like Broudeur actually has something which Hasek doesn't. We all know Hasek has a greater longevity than Broudeur.
I guess I'm not included in "all," because I don't think Hasek was the best goalie in the world before establishing himself as an NHL starter in 1994. If he was, why'd it take him so long to earn a starting role in the NHL after coming over? He was one of the better goalies in the world before coming over, but IMO its hard to tell just how good. He wasn't stealing international tournaments for the Czechs, though.

I also don't necessary think Hasek has better longevity than Brodeur to date - playing in a lower paced Czech league that played fewer games per season is not the same as being a full-time NHL starter.

Hasek retired at the age of 43 from the NHL and had basically lost his starting job by then. I don't really think it makes him a better or worse player that he is hanging on in lesser leagues in Europe, rather than officially retiring.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:10 PM
  #16
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I guess I'm not included in "all," because I don't think Hasek was the best goalie in the world before establishing himself as an NHL starter in 1994. If he was, why'd it take him so long to earn a starting role in the NHL after coming over? He was one of the better goalies in the world before coming over, but IMO its hard to tell just how good.
That's the issue with Hašek. He was considered the best European goaltender since Tretiak in the second half of the 1980s, but wasn't able to become a starter in the NHL until 1994. Either he wasn't getting his due 1990-1994 or the level of European goaltending was awful compared to the NHL.
I don't pretend I know the answer, but if you assume the latter, Hašek's career arc would look like this:

1) best goaltender in Europe, often ranked head-to-head with the likes of Makarov, Fetisov etc 1984-1990
2) not good enough for the NHL 1990-1994
3) suddenly turns into a Vezina level goaltender in 1994 and into on of the best goaltenders in NHL history

Is it me or does that look rather implausible?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:36 PM
  #17
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
That's the issue with Hašek. He was considered the best European goaltender since Tretiak in the second half of the 1980s, but wasn't able to become a starter in the NHL until 1994. Either he wasn't getting his due 1990-1994 or the level of European goaltending was awful compared to the NHL.
I don't pretend I know the answer, but if you assume the latter, Hašek's career arc would look like this:

1) best goaltender in Europe, often ranked head-to-head with the likes of Makarov, Fetisov etc 1984-1990
2) not good enough for the NHL 1990-1994
3) suddenly turns into a Vezina level goaltender in 1994 and into on of the best goaltenders in NHL history

Is it me or does that look rather implausible?
You're right, that is very implausible. I think the most likely answer is that from 1990-1993, Hasek was NHL quality, but that he hit a new level in 1994. I think a variety of factors probably contributed to Hasek's failures from 1990-1993:

1) trouble adapting to the North American lifestyle
2) lack of effort at "earning" a job after he failed to win a starting job after he first came over

That said, if Hasek was truly a Vezina-calibre goalie before 1994, I can't help but think he would have had an easier time winning a starting job. He played over 20 games in each of 1991-92 and 1992-93. In 1991-92, his save % was 15th among goalies who played 10 or more games, 0.001 below teammate Belfour. In 1992-93, his save % was 7th among goalies who played 10 or more games, and was quite a bit better than any teammate in Buffalo. I just don't see that as "Vezina quality if given a chance," although he likely gets some votes in 1992-93 if you extrapolate his stats over more games

Also, was Hasek considered better than countryman Jiri Kralik before he came to the NHL? Asking because I don't know.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
  #18
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Here is a list of all goalies who received votes for the Vezina over their careers. A season's Vezina shares are calculated by dividing the number of Vezina points a goalie recorded that season by the number of available Vezina points. The shares method is particularly applicable to Vezina voting, since the voting system has remained constant since 1982: 5 points for 1st, 3 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. The GMs vote for the award, so the number of voters has increased from 21 to 30 over this time.

Example of calculating Vezina Shares: 2011-12

playerteampts1st2nd3rdMaxShare
Henrik LundqvistNYR120171121500.8000
Jonathan QuickLA636961500.4200
Pekka RinneNSH4244101500.2800
Mike SmithPHX3525101500.2333
Brian ElliottSTL51001500.0333
Jaroslav HalakSTL30101500.0200
Marc-Andre FleuryPIT10011500.0066
Miikka KiprusoffCAL10011500.0066

Career Vezina shares are then determined by adding up the seasonal numbers. In my opinion, career Vezina shares are the best available method at showing who NHL GMs thought had the most regular season value compared to their peers.

Weaknesses of Vezina shares
1) the metric only goes back to 1982 (when the Vezina was first voted on), so guys like Dan Bouchard and Don Edwards who had most of their best seasons before 1981-82 will rank lower than they should by this metric.
2) the metric doesnt take into account strength of competiton. Pete Peeters gets a perfect 1.0000 for 1982-83 for receiving all 21 first place votes for the Vezina. This was truly a great season, but it's very unlikely that Peeters would have recorded a unanimous share that season if competiton had been better
Maybe you mean it in the 2nd point but doesn't anyone really think that Lundqvist having a .800 (out of 150) compared to Quick at .4200 gives any real meaning to their competitive value?

All it really calculates is how voters voted. It's the extent of the difference that is quite glaring in this one season here, and I think it probably comes up over and over.

Put another way if Lundqvist has the best season and is given a score of 100 for it, are Quick and even Rinne or smith much lower than 95 (in terms of overall value and impact?)

I think a really strong argument can be made that there is and the system being suggested here does add to the picture but more is needed IMO.

To be fair you have pointed out 2 limitations and probably already agree that goalies are the hardest to judge compared to forwards and Dmen.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  #19
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think a variety of factors probably contributed to Hasek's failures from 1990-1993:

1) trouble adapting to the North American lifestyle
2) lack of effort at "earning" a job after he failed to win a starting job after he first came over
I tend to think that his unorthodox style was the biggest issue. Just take a look at how comrade Killion who certainly knows a thing or two about goaltending perceives Hašek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
All I saw was some Moron in the crease who wouldve looked better playing for Manchester United what with all the dypsomaniacal triangulations & just pure stunts he was pulling. As an "old goalie" myself, gotta tell ya, its a wonder that guy ever made it, that were discussing him at all. Absolute freak show.
That is what an "old goalie" thinks about Hašek AFTER he has established himself as one of the best goaltenders ever. Now imagine what people in the NHL had to be thinking about him BEFORE that. Even if he was stopping pucks it must have been a disturbing sight for NHL coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the most likely answer is that from 1990-1993, Hasek was NHL quality, but that he hit a new level in 1994.
Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Also, was Hasek considered better than countryman Jiri Kralik before he came to the NHL? Asking because I don't know.
I'll try to post something later.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:15 AM
  #20
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Also, was Hasek considered better than countryman Jiri Kralik before he came to the NHL? Asking because I don't know.
I would have to think so, considering he was named top goalie 5 times and MVP three times.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 10:25 AM
  #21
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I would have to think so, considering he was named top goalie 5 times and MVP three times.
Where did you get your numbers from? Specifically the "top goalie 5 times?"

This is what I have:

Hasek:
•CSSR Golden Stick Winner (1987, 1989, 1990)
•CSSR Golden Stick 1st Among Goalies (1986, 1987, 1989, 1990)
•World Championships Best Goalie (1987, 1989)
•World Championships All Star (1987, 1989, 1990)

Kralik:
•CSSR Golden Stick winner (1985)
•CSSR Golden Stick 1st Among Goalies (1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985)
•World Championships Best Goalie (1982, 1985)
•World Championships All Star (1982, 1985)

Keep in mind that Kralik probably faced better competition from forwards for the Czech Golden Stick, as the nation's hockey program declined through the 80s

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
  #22
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Where did you get your numbers from? Specifically the "top goalie 5 times?"

This is what I have:

Hasek:
•CSSR Golden Stick Winner (1987, 1989, 1990)
•CSSR Golden Stick 1st Among Goalies (1986, 1987, 1989, 1990)
•World Championships Best Goalie (1987, 1989)
•World Championships All Star (1987, 1989, 1990)

Kralik:
•CSSR Golden Stick winner (1985)
•CSSR Golden Stick 1st Among Goalies (1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985)
•World Championships Best Goalie (1982, 1985)
•World Championships All Star (1982, 1985)

Keep in mind that Kralik probably faced better competition from forwards for the Czech Golden Stick, as the nation's hockey program declined through the 80s
I thought It's been common knowledge for years that Hasek was the Czech league top goalie in 1986-1990 and the MVP in three of those years. I don't even know what the source is, it's just.... canon I guess.

He was also 3rd in european golden stick voting in 1984, after Fetisov and Tretiak, and before the number of voters dropped considerably, so it still meant something significant.

I had forgotten how strong Kralik's CSSR record was though.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
  #23
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
was Hasek considered better than countryman Jiri Kralik before he came to the NHL?
I thought so initially, but a closer look suggests that it's not so clear cut. Both have a very similiar record in the Czechoslovak league. The only significant difference is the age: Hašek won everything Králík won, but earlier.
Králík was 26 years old when he was among the Top 10 in Golden Stick voting for the first time and he was 32 when he won the trophy for the first and only time. Hašek on the other hand reached the Top 10 when he was only 17-18 years old and won it when he was 21-22. Very impressive, but as you have already pointed out the competition has to be considered. When Králík was young Holeček and Dzurilla were the dominating goaltenders. Hašek was obviously an outstanding rookie, but he didn't became the leading goaltender in Czechoslovakia until Králík had left to play in Germany in 1985.

1978-1979:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 4) Jiří Králík (26yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: Jiří Králík

1979-1980:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 4) Králík (27yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: ?

1980-1981:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: No goaltender in the Top 10.
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: Ladislav Gula (21yo)

1981-1982:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 5) Králík (29yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: Králík

1982-1983:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 2) Králík (30yo), 10) Dominik Hašek (17/18yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: 1) Králík, 2) Dominik Hašek, 3) Ladislav Gula (23yo)

1983-1984:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 6) Jaromír Šindel (23/24yo), 9) Hašek (18/19yo) 9th
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: ?

1984-1985:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 1) Králík (32yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: ?

1985-1986:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 4) Hašek (20/21yo), 10) Šindel (25/26yo) 10th
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: 1) Hašek, 2) Petr Bříza (20/21yo), 3) Šindel

1986-1987:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 1) Hašek (21/22yo), 5) Šindel (26/27yo)
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: 1) Hašek, 2) Šindel, 3) Bříza (21/22yo)

1987-1988:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 3) Šindel (27/28yo), 5) Hašek (22/23yo), 9) Bříza (22/23yo)
Best Goaltender & All-Star Goaltender: Šindel
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: 1) Hašek, 2) Šindel, 3) Bříza

1988-1989:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 1) Hašek (23/24yo)
Best Goaltender & All-Star Goaltender: Hašek
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: 1) Hašek, 2) Bříza (23/24yo), 3) Mojmir Dragan (26yo)

1989-1990:
Zlatá hokejka (Golden Stick) voting: 1) Hašek (24/25yo), 5) Bříza (24/25yo)
Best Goaltender & All-Star Goaltender: Hašek
Best Goaltender according to "Tip" magazine: ?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
  #24
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,602
vCash: 500
What is "Tip" magazine? And do you know if their "best goaltender" selection was based only off the current season or was it overall? Because Sindel beat out Hasek in Golden Stick voting in 1988, indicating he had a better season, but Hasek was the easy pick for best overall based on past performance. Or did Tip just have a different opinion on the season from Golden Stick voting?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
  #25
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I thought It's been common knowledge for years that Hasek was the Czech league top goalie in 1986-1990 and the MVP in three of those years. I don't even know what the source is, it's just.... canon I guess.
NHL.com agrees with canon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8447687&view=notes

As does TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-red_wings

It would be interesting to see the original source.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.