HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN claim "Leafs are worst team in Sports!"

Old
09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i doubt poster you quote said anything about legal rights. if anything he said that he doesn't agree with the "legal rights" leafs are using to protect their very valuable product, which in terms is protecting their market monopolization. Market dictates that TO should have another franchise, but i guess market theory doesn't apply anymore, because of certain "rights".
There is no need to doubt or not doubt what is written in black and white.

If another team wants to put a franchise in Toronto's territory then they make a proposal to the league and the league votes on it and if it is approved then the new franchise pays the Leafs their fee for infringing on them and there you go. At least I think that's how it works but since no one has actually tried to and MLSE hasn't actually needed to block anyone then we don't know for sure.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
There is no need to doubt or not doubt what is written in black and white.

If another team wants to put a franchise in Toronto's territory then they make a proposal to the league and the league votes on it and if it is approved then the new franchise pays the Leafs their fee for infringing on them and there you go. At least I think that's how it works but since no one has actually tried to and MLSE hasn't actually needed to block anyone then we don't know for sure.
I believe Jim B. tried. And anyway,not debating MLSE nor NHL's rights and what they can't and can do, but nonetheless, it seems it wouldn't be to difficult to introduce a 2nd team in the TO market. Given the demand for Leafs tickets, and given they havent been a "successful" team, it's quite obvious TOR could support a 2nd team. But that would be to the detriment to MLSE profits.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1183473
Nor the NHL nor MLSE wants too see competition, and it's quite obvious. No business wants to see competition, thus the existence of conglomerates in general. But for the customers, competition is good, for "fair" pricing and "fair" product quality.

i really just enjoy the topic.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:02 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
If not a troll then there is another possibility. A name for someone who doesn't think that Burke dearly wants above everything except maybe something family related to be the guy who brings the Stanley Cup to Toronto and that MLSE didn't know that before they hired him.

San Jose includes exhibition games in their season ticket packages also, FYI.
I'd be surprised if most Teams don't.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I believe Jim B. tried. And anyway,not debating MLSE nor NHL's rights and what they can't and can do, but nonetheless, it seems it wouldn't be to difficult to introduce a 2nd team in the TO market. Given the demand for Leafs tickets, and given they havent been a "successful" team, it's quite obvious TOR could support a 2nd team. But that would be to the detriment to MLSE profits.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1183473
Nor the NHL nor MLSE wants too see competition, and it's quite obvious. No business wants to see competition, thus the existence of conglomerates in general. But for the customers, competition is good, for "fair" pricing and "fair" product quality.

i really just enjoy the topic.
Balsillie wasn't deemed to be a viable owner so he never got close to putting a team in Southern Ontario.

It would be incredibly expensive to put a team in Toronto's area so all of you people dreaming of NHL hockey in Toronto at Tampa Bay Lightning prices are in for a big shock if and when it happens.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Balsillie wasn't deemed to be a viable owner so he never got close to putting a team in Southern Ontario.

It would be incredibly expensive to put a team in Toronto's area so all of you people dreaming of NHL hockey in Toronto at Tampa Bay Lightning prices are in for a big shock if and when it happens.
Yes, i agree it with would be expensive and you wouldn't have florida prices, but you would have some healthy competition. it's a similar situation in MTL, in terms of rising prices during 'bad' years. it doesn't help that Both teams where bought with large amounts of money, which leads to both new investors expecting revenues to go up and seats to be filled, possibly influencing long term strategy using short term methods.
Hopefully both teams are not influenced in that way and we can both have future teams that are competitive and give the fans what they really want, a rebirth of TOR/MTL rivarly

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
If I could follow every game for free 40 years ago, I can follow every game for free now and tomorrow.
Yeah cause nothing ever changes. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future all major sports are pay per view.....someone's gotta pay for the escalating salaries and I doubt it will be the billionaire owners.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Yeah cause nothing ever changes. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future all major sports are pay per view.....someone's gotta pay for the escalating salaries and I doubt it will be the billionaire owners.
Its funny that people seem to think they will be able to stream live sports on the internet for free in perpetuity. My guess is they are people who weren't really around to catch Leaf games on CHEX.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Its funny that people seem to think they will be able to stream live sports on the internet for free in perpetuity. My guess is they are people who weren't really around to catch Leaf games on CHEX.
Apparently you two think I was following the Leafs on the internet and pay per view 40 years ago?

There will always be a way to follow your team without directly contributing to their pockets..

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Apparently you two think I was following the Leafs on the internet and pay per view 40 years ago?

There will always be a way to follow your team without directly contributing to their pockets..
You didn't have black and white internet, to watch Don Messers Jubilee?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You didn't have black and white internet, to watch Don Messers Jubilee?
Don't I wish!

I think that if I find anything sad it's probably that MLSE doesn't take advantage of offering packages that tons of their fans would buy.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote