HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN claim "Leafs are worst team in Sports!"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
  #101
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 6,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan15 View Post
We Definately are not the worst
I agree the Raptors and TFC are worse.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:25 PM
  #102
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Worse than Sacto (NBA), worse than the CUBS?!?!?!

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
  #103
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all
 
Squiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
Yea keep on pissing me off yahoo we'll see who is laughing at the end. Thank God i use google and not yahoo..
ESPN, not Yahoo, Puckdaddy just happened to mention it in his blog on Yahoo. ESPN poll though.

Here's a good take on it. Essentially a long version of what I posted earlier in the thread, the parameters suck.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...just-terrible/

__________________
bWo: If you don't know, you should know... Buds WORLD Order Constitution
Adj: "Squiffy" - stupefied by a chemical substance (esp. alcohol)

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
  #104
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
I agree the Raptors and TFC are worse.
Hopefully new MLSE majority ownership plan on changing that, and no longer accept having their sports franchise empire toil at the bottom of worst teams in their respective leagues.

But as long as they can charge top prices for admission and fans keep showing up to line their pockets with profit, there really isn't any incentive to change or fix anything, is there?

If it ain't broke why fix it !!!

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Signature: “If you think there’s no pain coming, there’s pain coming,”.. Mike Babcock
---------------------------------------------------
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
  #105
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Hopefully new MLSE majority ownership plan on changing that, and no longer accept having their sports franchise empire toil at the bottom of worst teams in their respective leagues.

But as long as they can charge top prices for admission and fans keep showing up to line their pockets with profit, there really isn't any incentive to change or fix anything, is there?

If it ain't broke why fix it !!!
True Mess but in all honesty the poll was a little harsh on the Leafs, IMO....Dont get me wrong they deserve bottom 10 standing of late. What exactly have they delivered post-lockout? But they were one of the winningest teams of the 90's and early 2000s...Its true. They reached the CONF final 4 times in that span I believe and therefore accumulated many playoff games/series. They were top 5 for playoff wins in that time span for sure. I think Bell/Rogers will MAXIMIZE their profits with a return to those days. Even if they can't manage the Cup....they certainly don't want the content they provide stop at the most captivating time of the year. They will want playoffs and eventually Cup finals. Not just for the glory...but think of the $$$$$$$$. Thats all they care about. Lets face it. Thats all any mega corporation cares about. Bottom line. More money is always better.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:39 PM
  #106
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,872
vCash: 500
Leaf Nation fans will get the last laugh here.

When you have the worst team in sports then a pending lockout hurts us less than any other team in sports. Fans of good teams get cheated by a work stoppage, but not fans of bad ones.

Leafs can actually only rise up the rankings by not playing, and have other teams fall below them in the process.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:17 PM
  #107
bleedingblue1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Espn names maple leafs worst franchise in north america

With the ship run by the one and only goofball (Burke) this is not surprising at all. All Burke has done is talked but managed to pull the franchize to the ground. With the new coach and his style that does not mesh with the talent on the team I don't see anything in the horizon but worst. Drafting in top 5 should be a norm for the perceivable future. For god sake atleast draft some decent players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404736

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
  #108
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Cool thread.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  #109
Peasy
apple CORes = SOFT
 
Peasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Bay
Country: Estonia
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 960
Just heard about this now?

Peasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:26 PM
  #110
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
With the ship run by the one and only goofball (Burke) this is not surprising at all. All Burke has done is talked but managed to pull the franchize to the ground. With the new coach and his style that does not mesh with the talent on the team I don't see anything in the horizon but worst. Drafting in top 5 should be a norm for the perceivable future. For god sake atleast draft some decent players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404736
In before merge. You're about a day late.

Did you read the article you linked? It has little to do with the on ice product.

"The highest-ranked NHL franchise is the Tampa Bay Lightning, who finished seventh overall - down from second in 2011."

Yeah, the Lightning are what we should aspire to be.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:27 PM
  #111
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,902
vCash: 555
Don't forget to mention the ridiculous criteria for the rankings.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:31 PM
  #112
Schenn
In Rod We Trust
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,525
vCash: 816
I don't know what is worse.

The fact that the OP actually agree's with the rankings, or that there is already a thread on this.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82088&dateline=135762  5592
Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
  #113
bleedingblue1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
I don't know what is worse.

The fact that the OP actually agree's with the rankings, or that there is already a thread on this.

I dont know what is worse? Burke stays for couple more years and destroys this team with his terrible draft picks and horrible signings.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:35 PM
  #114
bleedingblue1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
I dont what is worse? Burke stays for couple more years and destroys this team with his terrible draft picks and horrible signings.
I just saw it now. Mods want to merge them go ahead. Thanks.

bleedingblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:35 PM
  #115
Cool Beans Man
Registered User
 
Cool Beans Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
In before merge. You're about a day late.

Did you read the article you linked? It has little to do with the on ice product.

"The highest-ranked NHL franchise is the Tampa Bay Lightning, who finished seventh overall - down from second in 2011."

Yeah, the Lightning are what we should aspire to be.
Phoenix is actually the top NHL franchise. Go figure.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
  #116
The Brewmeister
#Winning.
 
The Brewmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Hammer
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Phoenix is actually the top NHL franchise. Go figure.
below salary cap, make WCF. We don't deserve it? How many allstars can you find on their team?

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  #117
Cool Beans Man
Registered User
 
Cool Beans Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
below salary cap, make WCF. We don't deserve it? How many allstars can you find on their team?
Give me a break. I respect what the franchise has done on the ice, but you can't seriously make an argument that Phoenix deserves to be #1.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
  #118
Schenn
In Rod We Trust
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,525
vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
I dont know what is worse? Burke stays for couple more years and destroys this team with his terrible draft picks and horrible signings.
Explain to me how Toronto is a worse franchise than Columbus. Explain to me how Phoenix could possibly rank better than any other NHL team. The list is garbage.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  #119
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
With the ship run by the one and only goofball (Burke) this is not surprising at all. All Burke has done is talked but managed to pull the franchize to the ground. With the new coach and his style that does not mesh with the talent on the team I don't see anything in the horizon but worst. Drafting in top 5 should be a norm for the perceivable future. For god sake atleast draft some decent players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404736

Good thing that you have a solid grasp on everything Leaf related.

You wouldn't happen to be bleeding blue from your ears by any chance?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
  #120
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 500
It's ESPN. They don't even get to have an opinion when it comes to hockey, seeing as how my cat knows as much about the sport as all of their so called "experts" combined. And sadly, that's not even all that hyperbolic.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:23 PM
  #121
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,624
vCash: 50
The Leafs don't exactly have a record to be proud of during the last 8 or so years but they're still not the worst but let's not forget that Phoenix is ranked #1 plus ESPN is a business...you think they would get a lot of hits on their site if the Pittsburgh Pirates were the worst team? No..Leafs are certainly in the 100-122 neighbourhood of ranking but there is no way they are the worst.. it's a practical move for ESPN, one even I would make if I worked for ESPN.

Having the Leafs last on the list pretty much gets all of Canada talking.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
  #122
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Explain to me how Toronto is a worse franchise than Columbus. Explain to me how Phoenix could possibly rank better than any other NHL team. The list is garbage.
Either way look at who we are now comparing the Leafs with. Columbus and Phoenix!! It's that bad under Burke.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:26 PM
  #123
I Believe
Registered User
 
I Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
The title's a bit misleading, but from looking at the article it seems that we're essentialy the worst value in sports, because of how expensive our tickets are and how little we've won. Not sure I agree with dead last, but value wise we gotta be down there.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
  #124
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
It's ESPN. They don't even get to have an opinion when it comes to hockey, seeing as how my cat knows as much about the sport as all of their so called "experts" combined. And sadly, that's not even all that hyperbolic.
Pierre LeBrun is one of the bestin the biz.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
  #125
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Pierre LeBrun is one of the bestin the biz.
He also works for TSN...

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.