HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Damien Brunner #96 Get excited!

Old
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Dekesyuk

vCash: 500
Damien Brunner #96 Get excited!

I mean this guy is good i think, by the way hes right handed and loves to shoot. But what do you think? I think hes a great prospect and great edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fuYp...eature=related

Last edited by Fugu: 09-08-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: nm
Dekesyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
wingnutjeff

A lot on that video looked like bad goaltending but I think he has potential.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Tomas W

It looks like he has good puckcontrol and strong wrists, however the D looked passive a lot of times in that vid. In the NHL he wont get that much time very often.

Of course though, many goals, even in the NHL, is an effect of not so great defense.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I'm eager to see what he can do.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

According to Ansar (too lazy to find the article, but it's quite recent) he'll be taking #24 (Rusty Salei's old number) if he plays for the Wings.

I like the fact that he has an for the net. Seems to have a really good shot and skates well too. If he can adapt to the NA game and become a Semin-type sniper, I think that would be awesome. I don't expect him to put up huge numbers though, but he could be a good option to have since RHS skaters are rare for us.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I would be ok with a player with blazing speed and some actual hands. Take notes, Helm. I would be shocked if he ever exceeded 20-25 goals, though.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Don't give up on Brunner during the first half of the video -- He looks pretty bad in the first half. But he looks a lot better in the second half

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
fimoknete

looks like a beer league to me.
i mean there are often all defense man out of postion or standing still. the goalies are looking awful.
you cant really see wether he is capable or the others are uncapable.
i wanna see this tricky moves vs the doughtys, charas or letangs of the nhl. but i highly doubt he can do this in the nhl.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
i mean there are often all defense man out of postion or standing still. the goalies are looking awful.
i wanna see this tricky moves vs the doughtys, charas or letangs of the nhl. but i highly doubt he can do this in the nhl.
Luckily he won't have to face the top pair DMen. He will likely be against second and third pairs. He doesn't have to dangle defenders he just has to find open spots with that speed.

Konnan511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
A lot on that video looked like bad goaltending but I think he has potential.
As always, someone from this forum points out the bad

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:46 PM
TatarTangle

Brunner - Helm - Tatar would arguably be one of the fastest lines in the NHL, and one I would try if there were going to be a training camp.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
Brunner - Helm - Tatar would arguably be one of the fastest lines in the NHL, and one I would try if there were going to be a training camp.
Tatar Helm Mursak

I watched the video and I'm not sold that Brunner's speed is quite what people are saying

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:18 PM
torero

Quote:
I remember Brunner and other swiss forwards making some legitimate 1 line NHLers D look like pylons in WM's or in Olympic games in some moments.

last year, when the NHL teams came to Europe ... Zug (where Brunner was playing) won 8-4 vs the Rangers. And it could have been 10 or more ... ! luck was on the NYR side.

I am not saying that he will destroy all defense in the NHL ... ! he will have to adjust and hopefully he will make it.

But i simply don't like people criticising easly another league and caling it a beer league and saying the goalies are bad ... on 5 seconds vids of poor quality ! Watch, if not an entire game, at least a decent sample and make your opinion.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

The video footage is good because it shows that he has the ability. He has the ability to skate, he has the ability to make nifty moves with the puck, he has the ability to place his shot very well. That is promising. But we just have to see how that ability and those tools translate to the North American game, and the best players in the world. On one hand it is very good, because he has the ability and play style to offer things that lack on this team, ie: good skater, right-handed, shooter mentality, accurate wrist shot. But really it's just all about how he makes the adjustment, and if he can process the game at a much higher speed. And be more selective on when he chooses to throw in a toe-drag or try to curl back a wrist shot against NHL d-men. I like the raw ability though.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

I think Brunner's biggest enemy in the NHL will be less space. I'm still excited to see how he fits in with us. He has a great wrist-shot. And he's right-handed--something we desperately need.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Dekesyuk

Hes supposed to be a top 6 skater though so hes going to be playing with either Z or Pav, you dont have to do much besides get open with those two on your line. Even Hudler looked nice when he played with Z and hes a clown. Let pav pass to someone who will shoot . oh god i can see the points now

Dekesyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I remember Brunner and other swiss forwards making some legitimate 1 line NHLers D look like pylons in WM's or in Olympic games in some moments.

But i simply don't like people criticising easly another league and calling it a beer league and saying the goalies are bad
now you can see thats it is very difficult to adjust to new dimension ice rinks. the nhl defender u mentioned had only a few days to adjust. brunner will have much more time. so i am positiv that he will adjust. lets see then how he is doing vs d-man on their home ice.

just watch the video and pay only attention to the defender. they are acting silly, skating slow or not at all and are out of position. getting backhanders and shots from the center line into the net doesnt let the goalies look like patrick roy either.

unless i have nothing to compare brunner to nhl d-man on a nhl ice i am sceptic that he will be a legit top6 forward. but the time will discover it.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
just watch the video and pay only attention to the defender. they are acting silly, skating slow or not at all and are out of position. getting backhanders and shots from the center line into the net doesnt let the goalies look like patrick roy either.
It is much more constructive to watch the video and focus on Brunner. Regardless of the defender or goalie, he shows that he has the ability and skill set to do some good things offensively. Regardless of the positioning or reflexes of the goalies in the swiss league, he is still picking corners with his shots in the video, and his wrist shot still looks like a good asset. Regardless of the size of the rink or skill of defenseman in the Swiss league, he still shows some creative stickhandling and good coordination. Obviously we will have to see how all of that translates to the NHL, but you should be paying more attention to what Brunner does than the competition at this point. We know the competition is inferior. The ability and skill is there, he just has to do it against better players with less space and time. It's really that simple. If he can he could be pretty good, if he can't, I'm sure Nyquist can . Time will tell.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
jroc86

Brunner will be a fixture in Detroit for years to come - calling it now.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Oh look another pessimistic post about the future of the Wings or a Wings player. You and mindfickle really make us Euros look bad...

Quote:
Doesn't that usually happen when someone scores a goal, he beats the opposing defenseman or makes the goalie look silly.

Mother of god those Nashville defenseman suck, right?

Old
09-06-2012, 03:40 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Don't give up on Brunner during the first half of the video -- He looks pretty bad in the first half. But he looks a lot better in the second half
I don't know what you're talking about. I think the whole video shows some really good things.

1. He's always looking to crash the net. He looks to go to the middle of the ice and not skate around the net or along the boards. That's a nice change of pace

2. He plays his angles well. If a defenseman is in front of him he'll drag the puck to open up a shooting lane. He seems like an intelligent player in terms of making the most of every situation. He even uses the defenseman to disguise his shot. At around 2:50 he snaps it top corner using the defenseman as cover.

3. When he's looking to get himself into a shooting position, he has the good practice of protecting the puck behind him before quickly getting a shot off. He uses his edges well. Which is why I said his skating looks really good. Not speed wise, but technique.

4. He pulls the Crosby, Granlund move which shows us that he isn't some "beer league" amateur from Europe but he has legitimate skill and likes to try something different (like Datsyuk). Again, making something, out of nothing.

5. He's confident going one on one against goalies.

6. He pulls a Datsyuk/Giroux move near the end. Toe drag. He's good in my book.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Rzombo4 prez

The labor situation could be helpful for Brunner. I could see him practicing and playing on small ice in GR before the NHL season even gets going. I think that could certainly be good for his transition.

Rzombo4 prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 05:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515

went ahead and put the video in here so people don't have to follow the link. Could do without the music selection...

Guy has good hands and a very good release. I think what I like most is that he goes upstairs and it gets there in a hurry.

With that said I will agree with Captain Bob on the start of the video. If he thinks he is going to be able to walk into the middle like that in NA he is going to be staring at the rafters while the puck heads the other direction.

I really like the way he skates and he finishes in a variety of ways. Has an absolute handle on the puck and important he does it with his head up one of my gripes about both Brunnstrom and Leino was how much their head was down. Something you will see out of the talent in Europe a lot more than in NA in my opinion.

If they do lockout I don't envy the AHL defenses tasked with chasing Nyquist, Brunner, Jurco, Pare and Tatar around the rink. They might be smaller (except Jurco) but all of those guys are very slippery and a headache to check all night.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
TradeBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. I think the whole video shows some really good things.

1. He's always looking to crash the net. He looks to go to the middle of the ice and not skate around the net or along the boards. That's a nice change of pace

2. He plays his angles well. If a defenseman is in front of him he'll drag the puck to open up a shooting lane. He seems like an intelligent player in terms of making the most of every situation. He even uses the defenseman to disguise his shot. At around 2:50 he snaps it top corner using the defenseman as cover.

3. When he's looking to get himself into a shooting position, he has the good practice of protecting the puck behind him before quickly getting a shot off. He uses his edges well. Which is why I said his skating looks really good. Not speed wise, but technique.

4. He pulls the Crosby, Granlund move which shows us that he isn't some "beer league" amateur from Europe but he has legitimate skill and likes to try something different (like Datsyuk). Again, making something, out of nothing.

5. He's confident going one on one against goalies.

6. He pulls a Datsyuk/Giroux move near the end. Toe drag. He's good in my book.
...it was a highlight montage

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Really wanna know what this guy could do on Datsyuk's wing.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote