HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brayden Schenn to the Oilers?

Old
09-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Do Philly fans honestly think Schenn is equivalent to Yakupov?
Yakupov is a recent 1st overall who has yet to play. Schenn is a recent 5th overall (albiet in strong draft) who has yet to break out. The Flyers would add, but not an NHL player. A pick, I guess.

It won't happen for non-hockey reasons--EDM PR, as stated above; Flyers acquisition of Luke. But, as a framework, it isn't the most absurd idea ever mentioned here.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yakupov is a recent 1st overall who has yet to play. Schenn is a recent 5th overall (albiet in strong draft) who has yet to break out. The Flyers would add, but not an NHL player. A pick, I guess.

It won't happen for non-hockey reasons--EDM PR, as stated above; Flyers acquisition of Luke. But, as a framework, it isn't the most absurd idea ever mentioned here.
Except that the Flyers don't need another smurf forward until Briere retires. Pass on Yak. He could still be a total bust. Schenn was one of our best players in the playoffs.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Dr. Octagon

Quote:
Do Philly fans honestly think Schenn is equivalent to Yakupov?
An Oilers fan started the thread and was first to suggest the deal involving Yakupov

Dr. Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Yet another classic thread. Any idea of counter proposals is done by page 1, 6 pages of pissing match to follow. As an Oil fan I would certainly like to acquire Schenn, but realize there probably isn't a proper fit. Gonna try anyway though....

Gagner, Whitney, EDM 1st for Schenn brothers, PHI 1st

A bit of a gamble scenario for the Oil to finish out of the bottom 10. I say that's the over/under on who wins that trade.
There would be a team gambling in that proposal...not the Oilers though.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Edmonton fans would be the first to jump down someone's throat when inaccurately comparing a player to Gretzky. But believe me when I say the similarities and vision are uncanny.
Few Edmonton fans on these boards have seen Gretz play. That's why they make that misguided comparison.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:47 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
Few Edmonton fans on these boards have seen Gretz play. That's why they make that misguided comparison.
Do you have any proof to backup this statement, or are you just proving a fact that you never have a clue what you're talking about.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Bryanbryoil

I'd like to add Schenn but not for anything that would entice the Flyers to deal him. I'd value him below our top 4 assets and above pretty much everything else we have with the possible exceptions of J. Schultz, Petry, and Klefbom.

09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Octagon View Post
An Oilers fan started the thread and was first to suggest the deal involving Yakupov
And it's mind boggling TBH, as much as we could use a 2C with Schenn's skill set it isn't worth giving up a guy like Yakupov for our team.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Yak is going to be better than Schenn, of course fans won't be able to agree.
"Yakupov is not proven!"

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:07 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
A game maybe. What about a cup?
so the most physical team wins the cup every year? oh the broadstreet bullies!

Old
09-07-2012, 11:10 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
I agree, Seguin doesn't belong in the company of those two great centres. But I understand, the dancing pickle is a lovely emote.
That isn't who I meant

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:13 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Wow, this thread went completely off course in a hurry. Gotta love the HF Boards.

The Flyers and Oilers are terrible trading partners IMO. Both are looking for Defense as the both teams are looking pretty good up front. They just got the kid and added his brother to the mix, he's not going to be moved for any package that the Oilers would be willing to part with.
That is the thing though, it is entertaining to both fanbases, some of the best fans in the game cause they do know hockey, I like Philly cause of the history of the city and the game. I don't think Edmonton are seeking defence like the Flyers though, J.Schultz was a blessing and Klefbom is coming in two seasons, keep your eye on Jeff Petry and who is this Ladislav Smid guy?? and then you look at our defence pool, the odd one has to pan out and our bottom six upfront are currently getting developed in the AHL cause the core seems to be set.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Do you have any proof to backup this statement, or are you just proving a fact that you never have a clue what you're talking about.
IDs will be checked.

I saw Gretz back in the WHA & was amazed. No player has approached that in all these years so I hate seeing unproven players compared to him.

If 1 of these kids ever comes close I'll acknowledge it but so far they haven't proven to be near as good as that skinny kid (a Jets killer BTW) wearing #99.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Shanahanigans

I wasn't suggesting Yakupov for Schenn straight up, that's absurd. I meant that I would be willing to part with Yakupov in a package deal, in which Brayden Schenn was th centrepiece of the return package.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Can you imagine if Philly trades him after getting Luke

All summer long they've probably been broing out like DUDE WE GET TO PLAY TOGETHER HOW AWESOME IS THAT and then brayden gets dealt. It'd be hillarious.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:06 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
so the most physical team wins the cup every year? oh the broadstreet bullies!
I have to admit I thought the post said highly physical, not most physical, my bad. Yet I still believe, in connection to the original post, that a team has to be much more physical than today's oilers to win not a game, but the cup or, hell, at least a series.

Last edited by kudymen: 09-08-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: poor choice of words
kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:01 AM
shai04

Flyers only have one player worth a former first overall. Not trading Yak for two spare parts. Every first overall pick forward in recent history has gone on to be a ppg player.

Not enough information to see if either Schenn or Couturier are worth anywhere close to that. If one of them hits 82pts this season... it'll never happen.

shai04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:

The difference between 1st overall and 5th overall is MASSIVE. You'd definitely have to add a lot to make up that gap. If you look at the difference between 1st and 5th overall since 2000, especially when a forward was taken at 1st overall, the difference is absolutely massive.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The difference between 1st overall and 5th overall is MASSIVE. You'd definitely have to add a lot to make up that gap. If you look at the difference between 1st and 5th overall since 2000, especially when a forward was taken at 1st overall, the difference is absolutely massive.
But it isn't the same from year to year, let along across years.

Yakupov was the top pick in one of the weaker drafts of the past decade; Schenn was 5th in one of the stronger drafts of the past decade.

Like I said, in a vacuum, the Flyers would have to add--but they won't move Schenn anyway, so its a bit silly to quibble over whether the difference is substantial, significant, massive, or humungous big.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
But it isn't the same from year to year, let along across years.

Yakupov was the top pick in one of the weaker drafts of the past decade; Schenn was 5th in one of the stronger drafts of the past decade.

Like I said, in a vacuum, the Flyers would have to add--but they won't move Schenn anyway, so its a bit silly to quibble over whether the difference is substantial, significant, massive, or humungous big.
Yakupov was the top pick in one of the weaker drafts but that doesn't mean he was a weak 1st overall. In fact, he was a unanimous 1st overall, which is pretty remarkable, in any draft.

I just don't think the value is that comparable at this point in time. Schenn hasn't seen his stock rise or fall all that much, but it's asking a lot to expect his value to be that of a 1st overall pick.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yakupov was the top pick in one of the weaker drafts but that doesn't mean he was a weak 1st overall. In fact, he was a unanimous 1st overall, which is pretty remarkable, in any draft.

I just don't think the value is that comparable at this point in time. Schenn hasn't seen his stock rise or fall all that much, but it's asking a lot to expect his value to be that of a 1st overall pick.
That's fine. But I don't know how Oilers fans--or at least the OP--can expect to get Schenn otherwise?

What else would they offer? Schultz? They'd have to add--and I doubt they want to deal a FA they just signed. I'm not sure what else they could offer. Obviously Gagner, MPS, etc. aren't going to get it done.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:34 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:

If Alex Galchenyuk and Morgan Rielly were not injured most of the season it could of been a different story. Personally I would of like the Oilers to have drafted Alex Galchenyuk, IMO he's the better of the two and would of been a better fit for the Oilers. Hopefully the Oilers will realize their mistake and trade Yakupov before he losses any value.

Personally I am embarrassed as a Oiler fan see other Oiler fans hype Yakupov, I could be wrong and I've know be wrong but I predict Yakupov will be traded or have a possible career ending injury in the next 2 years.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress*
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Fair enough, IMO RNH has much higher offensive potential. Maybe it's just me but I think Couts will turn out very similar to J.Staal (who is no slouch, 25g in 62gp last season).
I agree with this, we all know cout put up great numbers in the q and has been used in mainly a defensive role, but he is also a year older then RNH and i think he will only become a very good 2c

GuillaumeLetsundress* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:02 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
If Alex Galchenyuk and Morgan Rielly were not injured most of the season it could of been a different story. Personally I would of like the Oilers to have drafted Alex Galchenyuk, IMO he's the better of the two and would of been a better fit for the Oilers. Hopefully the Oilers will realize their mistake and trade Yakupov before he losses any value.

Personally I am embarrassed as a Oiler fan see other Oiler fans hype Yakupov, I could be wrong and I've know be wrong but I predict Yakupov will be traded or have a possible career ending injury in the next 2 years.
Galchenyuk over Yakupov? Galchenyuk better of the two? Trade him before he loses value? Oiler fans hyping Yakupov?

What parallel universe does any of this make sense?

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:07 PM
AtlasRust

I wonder how many people were saying that Stefan and Daigle were going to be ppg players...

Just because Yakupov was drafted 1st overall doesn't mean anything. Kid hasn't even laced his skates for an NHL game. Nothing's been proven.

AtlasRust is offline   Reply With Quote