HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 08:25 AM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
To add to the last point (too lazy to edit LOL)...if Alonge is out for a while with the shoulder, why would Oshawa take him on?

Old
09-18-2012, 08:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Have to agree re Owen Sd not in love with Hope,though Binnington is better then both Windsor goalies
The thing that will hamper OS is their lack of depth,especially with Maidens and Gavrus not playing yet
As for Guelph I dont think they are more talented,or less for that matter its their work ethic,much like Owen Sd a pain the arse to play against
Guelph returns 11 of their top 12 scorers. Mitchell and Kosmachuk were both 30+ goal guys, Richard had a good year as an import and returns so they will probably get more production out their import than Windsor does. I am not a big fan of their D with the exception of Finn who's probably better than anybody Windsor has maybe not Seiloff but we will see. The edge might go to the young guys like Garlent and Dickinson who were more productive than Maletta. Slight edge with Sparks in net as well.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
Bowen & Alonge going the other way.
***** disclaimer*** 'Seen em all' seems to be a regular on the Oshawa board
and doesn't say who his source is. Perhaps this 'TRADE' is really a figment of someone's imagination. Perhaps not. If there was corroboration from a separate source/location it would be more believable.

It is a fact that Oshawa has both Scott Sabourin (RW) and Emerson Clark (LW) fighting for their 3rd overage spot.

I can see Bowen included in a potential trade but I thought Alonge was done for the season. Both players would be possible O/A next year.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Ottomatic

Bowen seems to have been beaten out by McNaughton and the Spits want Sanvido with the team BUT if we traded Bowen we traded our only legit heavyweight for a middleweight.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
They are going to lose the appeal and will not be hosting the Memorial Cup and never were going to until Spits management changes or league management does, that's the way it goes. Rock bottom to me is when the Battalion are drawing better numbers at the gate. The team averages about 15 wins a season with a new coach each year and every player wants out with no one willing to report there. Like how it used to be. Still have a ways to go to get there.
I guess it depends on how you look at things. People seem to be of the consensus the appeal won't be won and they won't get the Memorial Cup. Say what you want about the sanctions etc. This is on the organization and losing out on hosting the Memorial Cup because of the sanctions is failure by Rychel and ownership. If the team isn't successful eg. hosting a playoff series. The offseason of 2013 has to involve Rychel stripping it down dealing Vail, Johnson, Clarke, Seiloff, Ebert and recouping picks and starting with a fresh approach. The organization wanted to be a model franchise eg. London; but with all this going on now that is simply not attainable. You have to make a choice if you're not hosting the Memorial Cup and still want to try and get into the dance you will be forced to deal further into the draft pick cupboard and that will hurt for a much longer time period.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Sec108

I believe if the owners suspect theyre going to hit rock bottom a sale of the team will come about with the new owners getting those taken away picks back.I hope it doesnt come to that.that would be sad

Old
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I guess it depends on how you look at things. People seem to be of the consensus the appeal won't be won and they won't get the Memorial Cup. Say what you want about the sanctions etc. This is on the organization and losing out on hosting the Memorial Cup because of the sanctions is failure by Rychel and ownership. If the team isn't successful eg. hosting a playoff series. The offseason of 2013 has to involve Rychel stripping it down dealing Vail, Johnson, Clarke, Seiloff, Ebert and recouping picks and starting with a fresh approach. The organization wanted to be a model franchise eg. London; but with all this going on now that is simply not attainable. You have to make a choice if you're not hosting the Memorial Cup and still want to try and get into the dance you will be forced to deal further into the draft pick cupboard and that will hurt for a much longer time period.
After the board of governors up holds the sanctions on Windsor, some of them are going to have some dropped on them. Bank on it. It might even be a model franchise.

I agree, a lot has to do with how we look at things. I'm still confused on your angle with the Spitfires if it is shtick or you have a bigger axe to grind then Paul Bunyan with WR. But your very consistent in your opinions.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I believe if the owners suspect theyre going to hit rock bottom a sale of the team will come about with the new owners getting those taken away picks back.I hope it doesnt come to that.that would be sad
Why would new owners all of a sudden get the picks back? Do they get the money too?

Why exactly are they selling again?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
After the board of governors up holds the sanctions on Windsor, some of them are going to have some dropped on them. Bank on it. It might even be a model franchise.

I agree, a lot has to do with how we look at things. I'm still confused on your angle with the Spitfires if it is shtick or you have a bigger axe to grind then Paul Bunyan with WR. But your very consistent in your opinions.
1. Not a shtick, not happy with the way the past couple years have been handled. The draft hasn't been as good as past years, poor handling of the import draft this year.

2. I think the sanctions are bunk but it is what it is you have to play by the rules you agreed to and if you broke the rules you are penalized. I also believe the league is in the wrong for not saying what they did wrong and I'm not a big of the secrecy in regards to the OHL I think it's been poorly managed and I will be critical of them for that.

Who knows if another team has sanctions dropped on them I will believe it when I see it. Keep in mind I said I think they will finish around 6-8 in the conference others think they will sneak in at 5 but I think we all agree there's a fine line between 5th and 8th. Furthermore if they are at the 6th-8th level the price for tickets don't justify the product. I can go to a game in Plymouth for $12 that price hasn't changed in years, I can see a Sarnia game for $10. With Windsor it's just gouge, gouge, gouge whether it's ticket prices, parking or if you want to eat in the restaurant. If you're going to charge like the big leagues better have a terrific product.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
***** disclaimer*** 'Seen em all' seems to be a regular on the Oshawa board
and doesn't say who his source is. Perhaps this 'TRADE' is really a figment of someone's imagination. Perhaps not. If there was corroboration from a separate source/location it would be more believable.

It is a fact that Oshawa has both Scott Sabourin (RW) and Emerson Clark (LW) fighting for their 3rd overage spot.

I can see Bowen included in a potential trade but I thought Alonge was done for the season. Both players would be possible O/A next year.
Bowen is a 94

Old
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I still need proof somewhere
the proof is in the pudding, hang tight, this will be a done deal, I reserve the right to not throw anyone under the bus

Old
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
OHLTG

No, just curious as to whether you read it online, know it from someone close to the situation, or what.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Bowen seems to have been beaten out by McNaughton and the Spits want Sanvido with the team BUT if we traded Bowen we traded our only legit heavyweight for a middleweight.
While Clark is a middle weight he fights all the heavies and does not lose,throws with both hands,i would underestimate the fighting ability of this guy plus he can play more important then a heavyweight who cant

Old
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
1. Not a shtick, not happy with the way the past couple years have been handled. The draft hasn't been as good as past years, poor handling of the import draft this year.

2. I think the sanctions are bunk but it is what it is you have to play by the rules you agreed to and if you broke the rules you are penalized. I also believe the league is in the wrong for not saying what they did wrong and I'm not a big of the secrecy in regards to the OHL I think it's been poorly managed and I will be critical of them for that.

Who knows if another team has sanctions dropped on them I will believe it when I see it. Keep in mind I said I think they will finish around 6-8 in the conference others think they will sneak in at 5 but I think we all agree there's a fine line between 5th and 8th. Furthermore if they are at the 6th-8th level the price for tickets don't justify the product. I can go to a game in Plymouth for $12 that price hasn't changed in years, I can see a Sarnia game for $10. With Windsor it's just gouge, gouge, gouge whether it's ticket prices, parking or if you want to eat in the restaurant. If you're going to charge like the big leagues better have a terrific product.
I agree re the ticket prices far too high,food prices the same thing,as for the parking most is free however if u are tardy paying is a bummer,price is not outrageous but i see your pt,as for the drafting it has not been as good the past couple of seasons,this years too early to be judged,although HoSang is a beauty at the 5 hole pick selection,re the import draft seemed to go awry 1st time in many years I will give them a mulligan this time,better make next years 2 1st rd Euro pics aces,especially if the sanctions remain in place
As u mentioned not much separates 5-8th place in a pretty conference
I imagine if teams such as OS,Guelph Sag,Sarnia lost a player like Koko there would be some doubt re their lineups as well

Old
09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Plymouth has that added $5 to park fee also. But I agree the pricing in Windsor is astronomical. However your anger is misguided. It's city hall that you should be angry with. In a nut shell they have allowed so many different hands in the cookie jar, contracting out and sub contracting all of whom have to make money and the consumer pays for it. Then because of the errors in arena mismanagement and poor planing the consumer has to make up for those loses also. Because the Spits are the only user of the building that is a revenue source their fans carry the burden on ticket prices.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Plymouth has that added $5 to park fee also. But I agree the pricing in Windsor is astronomical. However your anger is misguided. It's city hall that you should be angry with. In a nut shell they have allowed so many different hands in the cookie jar, contracting out and sub contracting all of whom have to make money and the consumer pays for it. Then because of the errors in arena mismanagement and poor planing the consumer has to make up for those loses also. Because the Spits are the only user of the building that is a revenue source their fans carry the burden on ticket prices.
I agree there are circumstances surrounding this. I do think Global Spectrum will be gone soon, not sure what will happen after that. Yes Plymouth charges 5 but I have arrived 2 hours before and haven't had to pay and with CJs Brewery there I have good reason to go there early. I still think the Spits forced the hand of the city and they have some culpability in the matter but for them it made good business sense, not sure it did from the city's point of view.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
the proof is in the pudding, hang tight, this will be a done deal, I reserve the right to not throw anyone under the bus
Why is it Bowen and Alonge? Alonge is hurt and his OHL career likely over - unless Oshawa is picking up his education package as part of the deal because Bowen in 18 yrs old with two years left and Clark is an OA.

Since I threw out the idea of playing Bowen up front, I can't poo-poo this idea as Clark is a forward already. At least Bowen is going to a good situation with a coach he'll know. Does the Gennies have a regular spot for him on their defence or will he be a depth guy there as well?

Clark did drop(or did Ty fall) Bilcke and got an unanimous decision over Czinder as well. Kid is absolutely fearless. Fought Mathers 2x, O'Neil 2x, Mcguire, Zweep in 2011...

Last edited by Ottomatic: 09-18-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 12:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Why is it Bowen and Alonge? Alonge is hurt and his OHL career likely over - unless Oshawa is picking up his education package as part of the deal because Bowen in 18 yrs old with two years left and Clark is an OA.

Since I threw out the idea of playing Bowen up front, I can't poo-poo this idea as Clark is a forward already. At least Bowen is going to a good situation with a coach he'll know. Does the Gennies have a regular spot for him on their defence or will he be a depth guy there as well?
I see Smith using Bowen as a 6th-7th D man as well as a 12th forward
As for Alonge not sure if his season is done yet saw him on Sunday,even he is not sure,he waiting for more info,may play thru it like last yr

Old
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM
B4IFURU18
Leafs fan in MTL

Anyone know if the OHL outdoor game will be cancelled, if the NHL is still in a lock out?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4IFURU18 View Post
Anyone know if the OHL outdoor game will be cancelled, if the NHL is still in a lock out?
I doubt it seeing as the NHL Winter Classic is only 1 game on the schedule. They may not put the ice in at Michigan Stadium but all the events at Comerica Park should still go on.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Sec108

Quote:
I agree there are circumstances surrounding this. I do think Global Spectrum will be gone soon, not sure what will happen after that. Yes Plymouth charges 5 but I have arrived 2 hours before and haven't had to pay and with CJs Brewery there I have good reason to go there early. I still think the Spits forced the hand of the city and they have some culpability in the matter but for them it made good business sense, not sure it did from the city's point of view.
That would be great to lose global Spectrum if they are the ones running the concessions.They should use Silver City as theyre template on concessions.Kiosks would compliment the main ones.Maybe a timmies and little Caesars would be a good start and add some variety.These charity run ones now are terrible food and service wise.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:05 PM
aresknights

Im not sure, you can't have choice when arena managed by GS, but maybe wrong. In London we got options.
The JLC, er Busch gardens has global spectrum in place. They have pizza pizza, smokeys pulled pork/brisket ( local business and dynamite sandwiches) Mr Sub, and a few other local food n beverage businesses spread thru the arena in addition to the reg concessions. (Fruit smoothies, coffee, nachos et al operate independently of concessions and pay lease fees)
The main concessions are staffed with volunteers to lower operating costs ( and I agree, bad food)

GS has brought a ton of acts to the JLC as well making it one of the busiest arenas it's size anywhere

Old
09-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Libbs

JLC is also in a better location.... WFCU is located way too close to all the Detroit venues so the big bands will avoid the WFCU to avoid market saturation.

Metro Center has a Subway and decent priced food in the concessions.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
punch1943

Insider Trading Discusses OHL Fighting Ban

If you go to the TSN website you can watch the video clip Insider Trading.
Near the end of it, 30 sec or so, Dreger discusses the 10 fight rule that he is expecting the OHL to announce in the next day or so...
......Perhaps 'Wee Davie' will see if he can eliminate bodychecking next year..

Old
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
JLC is also in a better location.... WFCU is located way too close to all the Detroit venues so the big bands will avoid the WFCU to avoid market saturation.

Metro Center has a Subway and decent priced food in the concessions.
True enough bout location. It's downtown it's 1/2 way between TO and Detroit, making it ideal in those aspects. Size also helps attract bigger acts. I do know however GS will leverage the fact they manage many an arena across NA to compel acts to play venues they may not really want to, in order to secure dates at larger more appealing places

Anyhow my main point to sec108 before I got rambling was that you can have food n bevereage choices with GS running the show. London has many a kiosk set up independently from concessions. If they aren't allowed in Windsor thats the fault of whoever signed the deal and/ or whoever doesn't push for the option. It's all about the deal you sign, when you get an outside entity to run your building. Many in London were pissed about the $ raked in by GS but council Signed off feeling they had the expertise to run it better than any1 else.

Closed Thread