HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Sec108

vCash: 500
Don't know what game some people were watching, but Pav kept us in this game.The Sting had a few chances that Pav shut the door on.

Sloppy game on both sides,3rd period the spits best.Too many individual plays shot right at anderson and not enough follow thru's.Shots taken were just over the blue line,these players not able to score from that far out in this league.

Sting looked no better than Spits most of the game,Gally didint do much by my view.

What the hell did Verbeek and the Sting player get the gate for??? they just fought out of the box big *** deal!!!!

Old
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Don't know what game some people were watching, but Pav kept us in this game.The Sting had a few chances that Pav shut the door on.

Sloppy game on both sides,3rd period the spits best.Too many individual plays shot right at anderson and not enough follow thru's.Shots taken were just over the blue line,these players not able to score from that far out in this league.

Sting looked no better than Spits most of the game,Gally didint do much by my view.

What the hell did Verbeek and the Sting player get the gate for??? they just fought out of the box big *** deal!!!!
I believe they got tossed for not stopping as both continued to scrap while on the ice surface,thought they might get misconducts instead of games
Probably explains why Bilcke saw limited ice,with the Verbeek expulsion they were left with 10 forwards seven and a half minutes in,seeing as they dressed Bowen for the 1st time as a 7th D

Old
10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
massey

Quote:

My understanding is that the players get a game misconduct for an intentional fight as their's was.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Sec108

Ok thx for clearing that up legend.I did see them still punching while on the ice.I like that Verbeek kid though he has some fire.Some of the other Spits could use some of what he has.

Dont know why Benny wasnt chosen for the shoot out.Spits need to practice for some of these occurences in a game situation.The players looked a bit befudled at how to go to the net in this situation.Hard to understand what's going on in the dressing room with these current Spits.

Old
10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
My understanding is that the players get a game misconduct for an intentional fight as their's was.
what's this league coming too????

Old
10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
big papa

My guess is that sence there was a full 2 days off between London and this afternoon Pavs was giving the start. I would say Dekort should play Thursday to give Pavs the night off so that on Sunday against Niagara he is ready to go

Old
10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Mtmouse

Quote:
Looking at the time of their initial penalties and then their subsequent fighting one, looks like they left the box before their initial penalties were up.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmouse View Post
Looking at the time of their initial penalties and then their subsequent fighting one, looks like they left the box before their initial penalties were up.
Is that even possible??? The attendant inside the box opens the door when the majors are up.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
OHLTG

- DeKort should have started today. It was a perfect opportunity to showcase him in front of the home crowd. That said, Pav stood on his head and deserved a better fate.

- HoSang is going to be just fine. He's getting his stickhandling going and, once his hands catch up with the OHL pace, and he gets that first goal, all will be good.

- Someone else said "staged fight" for Verbeek. I can see why you'd call it that, but come on, that's as "in the heat of the moment" as you can get. The only reason they didn't go initially on the ice was because the officials wouldn't let 'em. That said, I'd imagine the GM were because neither guy was interested in stopping, even well after the officials separated them. I told the lady behind me..."Verbeek's not holding up. He's gone."

Old
10-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Jackman

So, Bowen finally got to play in a game this year. I believe he had 1 shift. I really don't understand what they are doing with this guy. All of last season he received the same treatment - 1 or maybe 2 shifts a game. I'm not a Bowen fan but why are they keeping him if they don't want to play him?

Old
10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
So, Bowen finally got to play in a game this year. I believe he had 1 shift. I really don't understand what they are doing with this guy. All of last season he received the same treatment - 1 or maybe 2 shifts a game. I'm not a Bowen fan but why are they keeping him if they don't want to play him?
He's a spare part. He isn't that good to begin with and is already 18 years old. It's along the same lines of McCann who played last year but didn't bring much to the table. The drafting and development needs to get a lot better so we can avoid having players like Bowen around.

In other news Dave Reid is gone from Peterborough, didn't take long for that to happen. He's like the Matt Millen of the OHL and never valued his assets. Rychel was never able to take advantage of that unfortunately.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Ottomatic

At least Verbeek was really pissed off enough to fight and it wasn't tap you on the head for a good tilt after the fight show-of-respect crap. He needs to learn that you stop when the linesmen are in though. I might even give him a game suspension if I was the league.

Bowen is getting another year of tuition paid for by sticking around this season. That's really the only reason he should stick around given how the Spits use him.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Sec108

Out of all the players this season Verbeek is a kid Im most excited about for the future.I like his hustle and grit.And the 2 players must have been jawing in the box and came out and Verbeek wasnt afraid to drop em.You gotta love that.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
OHLTG

I don't understand how people can judge Bowen when he hasn't had time to DO anything. The kid deserves a chance to play, if nothing else.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
jughead42

Pavelka had a great game, Dekort will have his time to shine. We don't make it to overtime if not for the play of Pavelka, and if we could score a damn shootout goal then he made more than enough saves to have won it for us.

I'm also a bit surprised that Shoenmakers and Clark got the nod before Ben Johnson in the shootout. Johnson already had a goal on the night, ride the hot hand! I guess Boughner thought the experience of Clark and Shoe might pay off but it didn't. These guys are supposed to be veteran leaders, it would be nice to see them justify the price paid to bring them in to fill that role. We have a lot of nice pieces on this team, we really do. However a lot of them haven't found their groove yet and it would be a lot easier for them to do that if one of them stepped up, grabbed the team by the collar and pulled it along. I thought Kirby might be capable of that by now but he clearly isn't yet. Vail looked like he might step up to take charge and he still might, but he didn't yesterday. They just don't seem to have that guy who'll get the team shooting when they need to shoot, hitting when they need to hit, and backchecking when they need to backcheck. A coach yelling doesn't get the job done, but watching somebody lead the way just might. With all due respect to Posa and his efforts, it's just not happening yet.

I think there's no point in complaining about Devlin anymore, he's clearly the guy who needs to find a new place to play. I just don't see what he brings other than negatives to the team. If Rayzor wants to rip on Rychel then this is the angle to go at it, there's no defending Devlin's play in relation to the price paid for him.

Big surprise about the Pete's GM getting the can, he probably knew his ass was on the way out the door when he made the Watson trade. I'll try to act all shocked and amazed when he lands in London as a stick boy or something else that doesn't involve him using his brain too much.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: how nice is it to not be complaining about Ebert every game? He's coming around a bit it seems.

Last edited by jughead42: 10-09-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I don't understand how people can judge Bowen when he hasn't had time to DO anything. The kid deserves a chance to play, if nothing else.
I agree 100%, I mean look what hes had as a chance, he's a tough guy 4th liner OR a 7th defenseman he really cant do to much with those roles, Defensively he doesn't look to bad probably better than Devlin, sure the kid wont get you alot of points but if he would have gotten a little more of an opportunity last year we would no more about him this year, you can't truly judge the kid yet.... Atleast trade him to a younger team thats looking for a 5/6 Dman and he's a tougher/Bigger guy that can protect some younger kids.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Spitsfan67*

Ho-Sang needs to take it down a notch, I like the kid a lot and know he'll be a good one But he has to start keeping it more simple, Stop doing the dipsey doodles dekes and start playing simple at least till you get more expierence, he's no Taylor Hall who can kill it in this league rate off the bat, start dumping and chasing, skating to the top of the circle/Hash marks and let er rip, then they'll start to go in and the kid will get more confidence to do those moves and they'll start to work, every shoot out he does WAY to much, just shoot the damn puck please it'll start to find the back of the net.

Old
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I think the Spits are doing fine by Bowen. He's obviously out of the picture as a regular defenceman, he's just a bit too poor of a skater to be there every day. Guys who are bad skaters can find other ways to compensate with good positioning and anticipation but that's not in his game. He's better off at forward and so is the team, but that puts him behind a monster log jam of guys who already do his job and do it better. The Spits are one of the few teams left that make so much room on their roster for goonery, and that's clearly the role Bowen has to play to be on this team, let alone if he wants to be a player in this league. He'll get a chance, there will be injuries and absences through the season to get him into games eventually but it's not like he's done anything to deserve playing time above the guys who are getting it now. Except for Devlin of course.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Pavelka had a great game, Dekort will have his time to shine. We don't make it to overtime if not for the play of Pavelka, and if we could score a damn shootout goal then he made more than enough saves to have won it for us.

I'm also a bit surprised that Shoenmakers and Clark got the nod before Ben Johnson in the shootout. Johnson already had a goal on the night, ride the hot hand! I guess Boughner thought the experience of Clark and Shoe might pay off but it didn't. These guys are supposed to be veteran leaders, it would be nice to see them justify the price paid to bring them in to fill that role. We have a lot of nice pieces on this team, we really do. However a lot of them haven't found their groove yet and it would be a lot easier for them to do that if one of them stepped up, grabbed the team by the collar and pulled it along. I thought Kirby might be capable of that by now but he clearly isn't yet. Vail looked like he might step up to take charge and he still might, but he didn't yesterday. They just don't seem to have that guy who'll get the team shooting when they need to shoot, hitting when they need to hit, and backchecking when they need to backcheck. A coach yelling doesn't get the job done, but watching somebody lead the way just might. With all due respect to Posa and his efforts, it's just not happening yet.

I think there's no point in complaining about Devlin anymore, he's clearly the guy who needs to find a new place to play. I just don't see what he brings other than negatives to the team. If Rayzor wants to rip on Rychel then this is the angle to go at it, there's no defending Devlin's play in relation to the price paid for him.

Big surprise about the Pete's GM getting the can, he probably knew his ass was on the way out the door when he made the Watson trade. I'll try to act all shocked and amazed when he lands in London as a stick boy or something else that doesn't involve him using his brain too much.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: how nice is it to not be complaining about Ebert every game? He's coming around a bit it seems.
I think Schoenmakers got a shot because he played with Anderson in Mississauga and might know what he tries to do. Not sure what is up with the Clark pick unless he has good moves in practice.

I would agree that they have some nice pieces and don't take this as a criticism of Boughner because I think he's doing the best he can to an extent but I wonder if Boughner only knows how to coach one way. When they have a lot of speed and gifted players they could get a lot of things going off the rush, they were good on the forecheck but that was attributed to terrific team speed and decent size. This team has some decent speed but overall I wouldn't say skating is their strength. I do question if this team will be able to score the loss of Khokhlachev has been huge. It's still early but they're not even scoring as many goals as they did last year.

Devlin has been awful but he isn't the only one in the boat you can give an ore to Bateman and Marchese as well. Personally I would much rather have those draft picks back. We will see what they do against the Soo they give up a lot of goals but also score a lot of goals.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
bonefizzle

Quote:
Out of all the players this season Verbeek is a kid Im most excited about for the future.I like his hustle and grit.And the 2 players must have been jawing in the box and came out and Verbeek wasnt afraid to drop em.You gotta love that.
Keep in mind that he didn't even play hockey 2 of the past 4 seasons. Pretty impressive

His uncle is pat verbeek to.

Old
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
spits2timechamps

Possibly someone can look into this but I heard through the grapevine that Koko is in Windsor. Also the same person that told me this apparently knows a billet and they texted him just now. Apparently theres something on twitter stating this fact as well.

Last edited by spits2timechamps: 10-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old
10-10-2012, 02:16 PM
jhfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
Possibly someone can look into this but I heard through the grapevine that Koko is in Windsor. Also the same person that told me this apparently knows a billet and they texted him just now. Apparently theres something on twitter stating this fact as well.

See the link below for KHL game sheet from Oct 10th:

http://en.khl.ru/report/222/?idgame=34478

Looks like he played about 12 mins. (number 89 on Spartak)

Old
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfan View Post
See the link below for KHL game sheet from Oct 10th:

http://en.khl.ru/report/222/?idgame=34478

Looks like he played about 12 mins. (number 89 on Spartak)
Hes not coming here ive said it before this is just a desperate attempt to keep fans happy, because of another crappy move by WR....show me one link or article where koko himself says he wants to come back to NA, I haven't seen one yet...there's been rumblings? Highly doubt it, people look at his stats and assume things because he isn't doing to well...

Old
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
OHLTG

There's more to it than just "he's not getting time, so we hope he'll return." I'm told there were hurdles to cross and, on Friday, they were. Whether or not he returns is unknown, but the ball has certainly started rolling.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
scokan

I too am waiting to see a official link of koko coming here, while it would be great for us if he came back over here, I would like to see him traded for the assets.. We all no the cupboards are bare and he could help bring some back. Typically the imports usually come over around Christmas time, so it will be a interesting few weeks/months leading up to.. Im sure everyone will have heard of something new regarding Koko.

Closed Thread