HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
Spits up 2-1 after 20, Shoenmakers with a pair, spits have played better so far hopefully they can keep er up.

Old
10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Spitsfan191

sick finish by Ho-Sang

Old
10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Ottomatic

Bowen's games will probably be replacing Bilcke when he starts getting suspensions for his fights. Bowen might still get 20 games this year.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Spitsfan67*

Nice toe-drag goal By HoSang, finally he can get the monkey off his back. Good period for the spits thought they outplayed the Soo for the most part...bad finish as Ebert did a shot around the boards for Devlin and he missed and the soo picked it up and fired one thru the five hole, Hopefully it doesn't kill the spits momentum and they come with a strong third.

Old
10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
spitz fan 4ever

otto, in regards to the fight with verbeek from last monday against sting, i dont know your point of view of the fight, but from my point of view, the only reason verbeek was giving the sting player extra shots, was cuz he wasnt letting go of verbeek. Verbeek was trying to skate away in beginning, but sting player just wouldnt let go and u could see linesman and 1 ref were yelling at sting player to let go...so i woud have to disagree with u

Old
10-11-2012, 09:18 PM
jughead42

Nice game from Clarke, this kid is so underrated. If only we could play the hounds every night, life would be good. Of course it's a bit annoying to see them give up ground in the 3rd period when they have a lead, they have to find a way to fix that. Any team that is trailing going into the 3rd period is going to come out hard, you've got to come out of the intermission expecting it. You've got to find a way to match the intensity of a desperate team when you aren't desperate, it's something the great teams learn to do.

Pavelka let in a weak goal here and there but he made the saves he needed to make. I'm sure Dekort would have done well, but it isn't going to ruin him to be watching at this point. It's early in his first OHL season and he's 17 years old. The Spitfires are still working out their game in front of him, it's not horrible to have a more experienced and capable goalie in the net while they are still all finding their game. He's not going to be ruined playing in only one game so far. The announcer tonight said Murray has played in all the Sault games, are the hounds going to ruin their backup? Subban has played all of Belleville's games, their kid Charlie Graham hasn't had a sniff yet. They are a great team at developing goalies, do you think they will ruin 17yo backup Charlie? Guelph had Sparks play all their games so far, is 17yo backup Jason DaSilva going to spoil? I could go on, London with Bailie and Patterson, Oshawa with Altshueller and Appleby... these are all 17yo backups that haven's played a single game yet because the starting goalie has played them all. Dekort has already been in one game, and he looked good. Maybe he's ready for more, but that doesn't mean he'll be ruined if he doesn't get it. He'll be fine.

Old
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

Ho Sang notches his first OHL goal, Spitfires down Greyhounds

The Windsor Spitifres rebounded from a tough set of games on Thanksgiving weekend, with a convincing 7-4 win over the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds on Thursday night. The game was held at the WFCU Centre, in front of 5,194 Ontario Hockey League fans.

Colorado prospect Michael Clarke lead the way for the Spits with two goals and two assists.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0040.php

Old
10-12-2012, 12:23 AM
OHLTG

Great team effort; the boys stepped up!

Clarke had two goals, as did Schoenmakers. Vail, Ho-Sang, and Kerby with the singles.

Can't say enough about the defensive presence. They played their hearts out and deserved the win. Pavelka played well, though let in at least one softie. Maybe he just wasn't paying attention; giveaways will do that to you, haha.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
big papa

I heard that Pavs has a groin issue that has been bothering him for a while. I heard it from his billet who was sitting in my section last night so lets hope it doesnt get worse

Old
10-12-2012, 01:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Nice game from Clarke, this kid is so underrated. If only we could play the hounds every night, life would be good. Of course it's a bit annoying to see them give up ground in the 3rd period when they have a lead, they have to find a way to fix that. Any team that is trailing going into the 3rd period is going to come out hard, you've got to come out of the intermission expecting it. You've got to find a way to match the intensity of a desperate team when you aren't desperate, it's something the great teams learn to do.

Pavelka let in a weak goal here and there but he made the saves he needed to make. I'm sure Dekort would have done well, but it isn't going to ruin him to be watching at this point. It's early in his first OHL season and he's 17 years old. The Spitfires are still working out their game in front of him, it's not horrible to have a more experienced and capable goalie in the net while they are still all finding their game. He's not going to be ruined playing in only one game so far. The announcer tonight said Murray has played in all the Sault games, are the hounds going to ruin their backup? Subban has played all of Belleville's games, their kid Charlie Graham hasn't had a sniff yet. They are a great team at developing goalies, do you think they will ruin 17yo backup Charlie? Guelph had Sparks play all their games so far, is 17yo backup Jason DaSilva going to spoil? I could go on, London with Bailie and Patterson, Oshawa with Altshueller and Appleby... these are all 17yo backups that haven's played a single game yet because the starting goalie has played them all. Dekort has already been in one game, and he looked good. Maybe he's ready for more, but that doesn't mean he'll be ruined if he doesn't get it. He'll be fine.
The issue overall is consistency it goes for Clarke and how they don't close games out very well. Soo made it a game when they got a goal to make it 4-2. In regards to Clarke he had a goal in his first 3 games and then he went ghost for 5. At least with Clarke he did show something, Marchese does nothing.

In regards to the backups you're comparing apples and oranges. Pavelka is not even on the same level as a Subban who will likely be Team Canada's goalie for the WJ's or at the very least going to camp. Murray is only 18 in the Soo and he probably shouldn't play as much and it will hurt the team but his backup is just 17 so that's their tandem for the future. Altshuller has helped elevated the Gens into the upper echelon of the OHL I don't see why Appleby should play that much. The Storm have started out quite well to with Sparks as well. With the exception of Murray all those other goalies are putting up better numbers. If Pavelka had a 2.40 GAA and .918 sv% I would keep playing him to but he has GAA in the high 3's and sv% under .900. Even Tyson Teichmann has better numbers than Pavelka. This is the draft eligible year for DeKort there's no reason for Pavelka to play 90% of the games because this team is still rebuilding. If Pavelka continues to play that's fine but I don't want to see any articles from Rychel lamenting the organization not developing a goalie because he has the ability along with Boughner to change that. How many NHL teams would draft a goalie like DeKort if he only plays 7 or 8 games?

Old
10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
OHLTG

Take out the London, OS, and Gue games, where Pavelka had NO help (which, really, does play a part in games), and what's his GAA and save % then?

Old
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Take out the London, OS, and Gue games, where Pavelka had NO help (which, really, does play a part in games), and what's his GAA and save % then?
Sooo take out half his games? You could say that about any goaltender haha

Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The issue overall is consistency it goes for Clarke and how they don't close games out very well. Soo made it a game when they got a goal to make it 4-2. In regards to Clarke he had a goal in his first 3 games and then he went ghost for 5. At least with Clarke he did show something, Marchese does nothing.

In regards to the backups you're comparing apples and oranges. Pavelka is not even on the same level as a Subban who will likely be Team Canada's goalie for the WJ's or at the very least going to camp. Murray is only 18 in the Soo and he probably shouldn't play as much and it will hurt the team but his backup is just 17 so that's their tandem for the future. Altshuller has helped elevated the Gens into the upper echelon of the OHL I don't see why Appleby should play that much. The Storm have started out quite well to with Sparks as well. With the exception of Murray all those other goalies are putting up better numbers. If Pavelka had a 2.40 GAA and .918 sv% I would keep playing him to but he has GAA in the high 3's and sv% under .900. Even Tyson Teichmann has better numbers than Pavelka. This is the draft eligible year for DeKort there's no reason for Pavelka to play 90% of the games because this team is still rebuilding. If Pavelka continues to play that's fine but I don't want to see any articles from Rychel lamenting the organization not developing a goalie because he has the ability along with Boughner to change that. How many NHL teams would draft a goalie like DeKort if he only plays 7 or 8 games?
Let's be realsitic here - this is the the double edge sword these teams must live by. The goalies are on these JUNIOR teams to develop and are told they will get the opportunity. The coaches want to win every game, so they are going to put in who they think will win them the game. Altshuller knew that and refused to go to Belleville and be buried behind Subban. Appleby was drafted in second round just after DeKort and has yet to play behind Altshuller. What was the sales job on DeKort, or any other goalie for that matter. I imagine DeKort was told 10 games last year and at least double that this year, to prepare for the run in next year. I guess i ask, has he lived up to his end of the bargin?
I know it's high end hockey and i understand the desire to win and make money - but did the recuriting include "come to windsor, we will develope you and get you drafted high"?
I doubt both DeKort and Pav are here come jan. 15

Old
10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
bruinsherewego

Good game last night nice goal by Ho Sang. Many more to come i would expect!

Old
10-12-2012, 03:25 PM
scokan

Surprising enough with all the bashing of Kerby on these boards that no one gives credit to him for his effort last night vs. the Soo.. Nothing but hustle on both ends of the rink, he was hitting was great on the fore-check, had a great coal he needs to continue playing like this for the spits to win games, hopefully this can kick start him. Was a little bit annoyed with Bilke last night also. This kid needs to learn to fight at the right time. He was at the end of his shift with gudbranson coming out to start a new shift, no wonder he ate a few punches, too tired. IMO it’s only a matter of time before he is washed out from the league, quite frankly I don’t see what he really brings to the team right now, he doesn’t play enough to intimidate the opposition, and he’s pretty much a liability on defense. With that said he must be a great team guy. Maybe he should work on his game instead of working on his handshake with the trainer. Hate to say it but it’s only a matter of time before Ho-Sang gets rocked, it almost happened last night through the neutral zone, but the kid holds onto the puck way to long and constantly skates with his head down. Great hockey IQ but keep your head up.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
OHLTG

I'm not sure what the issue with Bilcke is. The kid has rocked players left, right, and center with checks, getting the crowd on its feet at times. He's only got a few fights and, if you noticed last night, he had a feud going with Gudbransson almost the entire game. He's not going to stop fighting just because of the rule, but he's certainly toned it down and has been playing solid hockey.

BTW, that whole "doesn't play enough to intimidate the opposition"...how about asking the guys he's coming towards at full speed if they like that or not.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:55 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

BTW, that whole "doesn't play enough to intimidate the opposition"...how about asking the guys he's coming towards at full speed if they like that or not.
Im sure they can just slide step him and he goes crashing into the boards. how much intimidation can a player give when he only plays 2-3 shifts a game? Face it he has 1 role with the team and with the new rules its starting to affect game.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

I would add that the crowd was real small announced at 5100 but watching the game the corners were pretty empty. Might be headed for a few games below 5000.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
Im sure they can just slide step him and he goes crashing into the boards. how much intimidation can a player give when he only plays 2-3 shifts a game? Face it he has 1 role with the team and with the new rules its starting to affect game.
Bilcke is ok, he's a very poor man's version of Cam Janssen. Bilcke doesn't have much game beyond his fists. At least Janssen showed in Guelph he can play the game. Right now he's just a designated fighter, he will use up his 10 fights and serve a 2 game suspension.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I would add that the crowd was real small announced at 5100 but watching the game the corners were pretty empty. Might be headed for a few games below 5000.
Yes I agree next 2 games at home in this 4 game home stand not exactly crowd draws with NF Falls and Erie coming in

Old
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
Again, ask the players who he's coming towards. If I've got a 6'3 210lb guy coming at me full speed, knowing his intentions, I'm not going to laugh and say "oh, I'll just slide out of the way."

Old
10-13-2012, 09:25 AM
KyGuy9

Does anybody think the Spits could target Devin Williams? He played very solid for the horrendous Otters last season, including a 60-save-out-of-61-shot effort against NIAGARA last year. He will probably ask to be traded from the Otters, as he is buried behind Oscar Dansk, the top OHL pick in the import draft. I would personally like to see him as a Spit, and I think he would solidify our goaltending. And great game by the boys on Thursday. Great to see Ho-Sang get his first goal and to see it wouldn't take as long as Maletta last year to get his first.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM
jhfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Does anybody think the Spits could target Devin Williams? He played very solid for the horrendous Otters last season, including a 60-save-out-of-61-shot effort against NIAGARA last year. He will probably ask to be traded from the Otters, as he is buried behind Oscar Dansk, the top OHL pick in the import draft. I would personally like to see him as a Spit, and I think he would solidify our goaltending. And great game by the boys on Thursday. Great to see Ho-Sang get his first goal and to see it wouldn't take as long as Maletta last year to get his first.
I doubt Erie would trade him...dansk is likely a one and done with williams being their future goalie. Spits considered drafting williams as I saw him at a spits game with rychel before the draft that year but they must have thought dekort was a better bet (which he could very well be)

Old
10-13-2012, 10:30 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
He is not on the block that I can assure you. Like the above post Erie will get two years at most out of Dansk and then Williams can start, even if Erie gets those two years Williams will still start for a possible three years.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
well i think most fans are leery about going to the game where u get beat 5-0 .......the product is expensive ,and when u add in major league prices for everything else ......u can watch it in a bar for 35 -40 bucks and save the chance of seeing mediocre hockey
they ll be a few games of sub 5000 fans .....especially if the tigers play on thursday nite ...
but ive noticed alot more freebies around so attendance will be sketchy till the spits identify themselves as a contender or cannon fodder

Closed Thread