HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
While there may be evidence with boxing I would like to see a list of that length with hockey players. Boxing and hockey are not really even a comparison if you look at it. Roughly I would say about 19-20 punches are landed per round in a boxing match; rarely are 20 punches even thrown in a fight by one player in hockey. If the fight went on 12 rounds that would be 240 punches landed. I know boxing matches occur less frequent than an enforcer fighting in hockey but still the numbers are not really in comparison.

Old
09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Are any of you guys planning on attending any Windsor Express games this year? I've never watched NBL before, so I'm not sure how entertaining of a product it is. Maybe some lurking Knights fans could fill us in.

I absolutely can't stand the NBA, and generally don't like NCAA basketball much (although I tolerate it more), but I do genuinely enjoy CIS Basketball and attend Lancer games at the St. Denis Centre when I have the opportunity.

Can anybody offer any opinions on the quality of the NBL product? Do you think it will last, or will it die a death similar to the Canadian Baseball League? (Although the NBL has already lasted longer so far).
Just got a look at the Windsor Express prices- WOW

13.00 for students
15.00 for seniors
18.00 for adults
Thats for the cheap seats
No breaks if u buy a season ticket package for the supposed cheapies
60.00 for courtside seats

This team will last only a year at these rates

Check the website at wfcu.centre.com for details

Old
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post

13.00 for students
15.00 for seniors
18.00 for adults

I wouldn't go for free.

Old
09-13-2012, 07:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I wouldn't go for free.
X2
Btw i understand Cogeco is broadcasting 10 games should be alot of seats masquerading as people,does not make for great tv

Old
09-13-2012, 08:40 PM
etr102

They don't show any pricing for the 'end' sections at all (shown in grey on the seating chart). I imagine those sections won't even be sold?

Yeah those prices are kind of nuts!

Lancers bball tickets are around $8-10 last time i went.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Ottomatic

Dominic Papa joins Saginaw Spirit announce team - http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ss...pping_dow.html

Quote:
SAGINAW -- After 20 years on the Saginaw hockey scene, Dennis Desrosiers is bolting for a warmer climate.

Desrosiers is leaving his role as color commentator on Saginaw Spirit radio broadcasts to move to North Carolina, he confirmed this week.

He will be replaced Domenic Papa for the majority of games. Papa broadcast Windsor Spitfires games for 25 years through last season. Leigh Cunningham will continue his role as play-by-play announcer.
Interesting timing in that Cogeco announced the new guys today - http://blackburnnews.com/chatham/cha...for-spitfires/ Warriner thinks things will all be cool since he billeted with Boughner family when he played in Windsor and was a teammate of WR's in Toronto for a stint.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 09-13-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old
09-14-2012, 02:28 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Dominic Papa joins Saginaw Spirit announce team
Good for Dom, hopefully the Saginaw fanbase appreciates his genius the way us fans in Windsor did. Glad to see him land on his feet.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:46 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

13.00 for students
15.00 for seniors
18.00 for adults

Prices are pretty steep of course when I was watching city hall and they were speaking about the Express they said breakeven was 1100 a game. If it's a good product I can see them making that point they do have a good night in Fri/Sat to draw fans. I would never buy courtside but I would probably check the product out it's cheaper than Spitfire games.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Prices are pretty steep of course when I was watching city hall and they were speaking about the Express they said breakeven was 1100 a game. If it's a good product I can see them making that point they do have a good night in Fri/Sat to draw fans. I would never buy courtside but I would probably check the product out it's cheaper than Spitfire games.
Yes they are cheaper then spits tix,and no question spits pricing is way too high,should be 10-15 per cent lower in my view,I will be shocked if they draw 500 plus
An expansion team with no history cant charge those prices,the fact that half the games are going to be televised is bad for the Express in my view

Old
09-14-2012, 12:57 PM
OHLTG

That could go either way for them.

If they're successful at the start, having games on TV gives them exposure and people will say "I'd like to see this in person." That can only benefit them.

If they're unsuccessful, people stop watching and coming to the games.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Yes they are cheaper then spits tix,and no question spits pricing is way too high,should be 10-15 per cent lower in my view,I will be shocked if they draw 500 plus
An expansion team with no history cant charge those prices,the fact that half the games are going to be televised is bad for the Express in my view
The ticket prices are similar to those in London. I think the league took off a bit last year due to the fact of the NBA lockout. There's no lockout this year so it might be difficult to gain interest. I know the London Lightning had games televised not sure how many but I think they need to put a few on tv, 10 is probably too many though.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Spitsfan67*

Prediction 4 Tonight:

Spitfires: 6

Ice Dogs: 4

Feel it will be high scoring, Dekort with the start?

Old
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Prediction 4 Tonight:

You would think Dekort gets the nod with Pavelka playing the entire game against Sarnia last Sunday
DeKort has played well has allowed 1 goal in each of his 1/2 game appearances

Old
09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Prediction 4 Tonight:

If Strome and Hamilton play the Dogs will win by a few. If they don't play the Spits will lose a close game.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Spitsfan67*

Strome is on the ice for warm-ups, Pav came out first assuming he gets the nod at least for the first half...Festarini in net for the Dogs

Surprise Alonge is on the ice

Old
09-14-2012, 06:53 PM
RayzorIsDull

Seiloff 5 and a game for head checking.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Seiloff 5 and a game for head checking.
As I said in earlier posts, Seiloff won't be able to play his game in the OHL.This was one example.Looked like an open ice hit to me near Spits bench, didnt show replay did anyone else see it???

Old
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
OHLTG

It looked like Wigle went down to get the puck and got rolled. I got a picture, will post tonight if/when I can. Easily the best hit of the pre-season and maybe in 2012.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:18 PM
KyGuy9

Spits lose 4-3 in shoot out. Pav in net. I have to say, Ho-Sang looked great. Bilcke playing with energy. A nice fight by him, too. He went right into the punches and the Dogs player was down within 5 punches. Goals were scored by Derek Schoenmakers and 2 by Benny Johnson. None in the shoot out. Ebert picked up a couple of points. Bezuch looked OK, but definitely not spectacular. He was also in the shoot out, trying the one hand slide move. Pav was spectacular at times, and robbed the dogs a couple of times, once in the shootout. Shootout winner by Ryan Strome. Captain was Posa, and assistants were Rychel, Vail and Schoenmakers. Just ask me for more info if needed!

Old
09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
KyGuy9

Oh, and huge hit by Sieloff. Looked perfectly clean, the other guy got up by himself and was fine, but got 5 and a game misconduct. (Head checking) right by me at the bench. Pat played lots too, mostly with Posa.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:39 PM
jughead42

Glad to hear Pavelka was good, I think some of the guys who were eager to peddle him for peanuts are going to end up looking foolish in hindsight. I read the preview on yahoo's junior hockey page of the Spitfires, and the author pointed out how import goalies can spike in their second season in the league. The guy looked great last year, dragging us into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he does better than Dansk this season in Erie, the sexy euro goalie everyone wanted.

Oh yeah, regarding the basketball: I think it will die a miserable death, it's freaking basketball. I'll go to michigan basketball games, but that's got atmosphere and kids who'll be in the pros some day. There's cheerleaders and a kickass band. If the team starts poaching guys from NCAA or something, it might have a chance. If its just a bunch of local puds who aren't ready to turn in the sneakers for a real job yet then they have no business expecting anybody to show up for those prices.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:11 PM
OHLTG

Photos from tonight, including the Sieloff hit and the Blicke fight:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1941058&type=1

Old
09-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Spitsfan67*

Sieloff did a clean hit, this league has become kind of joke in regards to calling hits, If a player gets hammered and it's a clean hit it shouldnt be a penalty, it's like the refs feel obligated to call a 5 minute penalty.

Spits played pretty bad for the first two periods, we're getting out played. The Third, Ice Dogs put in there back-up spits score 2 goals, and actually played pretty good, Overall I think they need a lot of work, don't think they"ll finish to high in the standing, LOTS of players NEED to start picking it up if the spits want to be a challenging team this season, I personally think they'll Finish the season in 7th or 8th, they've been very less then impressive in the pre-season and today they had what should be there final roster.Ebert HAS to go he is terrible I have not liked him since day one he was on this team, he should learn how to play some defense instead of trying to jump in every play, I mean trade him for future considerations, he's an over confident kid and needs to take down a couple notches, he has to start thinking Defense first, Best player on the ice tonight for the spits IMO was Vail he played with energy all game and one of the only players I really noticed, I think he's playing with a lot of confidence and could realistically see him putting up 30-35 goals/70-75 points this season.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:33 AM
RayzorIsDull

Going to be a long season still too many passengers. We can talk exhibition but there should be enough talent or at least what we are told by the organization to score more than 3 goals in these exhibition games. Teams are still playing on the cusp players where top guys should take advantage. I guess this year is the Boughner/Rychel goodwill tour living off the past couple years and sneak out a playoff spot but have no 1st round pick to show for it. I guess Marchese has pulled a no show like he did in Erie for over a 1 year+.

Old
09-15-2012, 02:49 AM
OHLTG

Stop being so positive, Razor You're scaring me!

A few guys took nights off, but lots of them showed guts to come back from 3-1.

Closed Thread