HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Sec108

vCash: 500
If the Spits keep playing this style theyre going to get their heads handed to them most nights,But thank God its only exhibition.

Maybe Branch can call this catching a opposing player with his head down check penalty 5min and a game the new Seiloff rule.

Spits very unorganized out there last night, Bateman looked terrible a few times coming back in our zone and nearly loosing it, he has a bad habit of that also some very weak passes up the middle especially.

And whats with these bad line changes alot of times when we were headed toward the Niagara net.One guy entering the zone with no one with him.Big changes needed.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:29 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Stop being so positive, Razor You're scaring me!

A few guys took nights off, but lots of them showed guts to come back from 3-1.
Obviously a few too many. Thus far in exhibition the Spits have only led games for 13:52. I am also pretty positive this team will struggle a lot during the year. What you watched last night is 95% of the roster that will dress for opening night. This exhibition season they never scored on the 1st or 2nd string goalie for Plymouth and they only got 1 goal by the #1 for Niagara. This NHL lockout (upcoming) should have been a blessing for Windsor with guys like Vail, Johnson, Ebert, Seiloff sticking around this was the time to round into shape. If they have a clunker in the home opener next week what's the excuse going to be, the video won't lie.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
hockeylegend11

I would agree too many passengers in the 1st 2 periods,team has to play full 60 to win,25 minutes wont cut it
The Vail-Johnson-Schoenmakers line looked good,HoSang to me is the real deal,Ebert I thought played pretty well,3 assists in the contest
Bateman struggled,I did not mind Mcnaughton at all,Bilcke was effective with his body checking,bad call on Seiloff I love this guy
Spits generated little offence with the exception of the 3rd period,really had their hands full with Ritchie who by far was the best player on the ice for both teams
With looming NHl lockout Strome,Ritchie and Hamilton will be a handful for all OHL teams to deal with

Old
09-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
With looming NHl lockout Strome,Ritchie and Hamilton will be a handful for all OHL teams to deal with
And means our import pick plan is kaput.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Sec108

Quote:
I would agree too many passengers in the 1st 2 periods,team has to play full 60 to win,25 minutes wont cut it
The Vail-Johnson-Schoenmakers line looked good,HoSang to me is the real deal,Ebert I thought played pretty well,3 assists in the contest
Bateman struggled,I did not mind Mcnaughton at all,Bilcke was effective with his body checking,bad call on Seiloff I love this guy
I wonder how many "bad call's" Seiloff will get this year????

Old
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
RayzorIsDull

Alonge done for the year. Not sure if the Spits were expecting much out of him but news nonetheless.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Spits generated little offence with the exception of the 3rd period,really had their hands full with Ritchie who by far was the best player on the ice for both teams
Hasn't this been the issue going back to last year though? They were short on talent last year most would agree but work ethic was lacking as well at least a consistent one. Maletta has a good game against Sarnia but pulls the no show against Niagara. Not sure this team realizes most nights they won't have the most talent. If this is the type of effort they show during the year London, Plymouth and Kitchener will put it on them good. Agree on Niagara they have enough to hang in there then you include Graham and Mercer on the backend Beukeboom as well maybe Rover you have a veteran D which will help Festarini.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Alonge done for the year. Not sure if the Spits were expecting much out of him but news nonetheless.
So much for it being "precautionary".

IMO, not a big loss and he is replaceable.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Tough break for the kid. Was it the same shoulder that he had fixed? He played all last year hurt and seemed to come on a bit in the final third of the season to the point he could have been a good 3rd/4th line gritty guy for us.

From the Spits perspective can they keep him without using a card on him? Did they already use a card on him? He's not good enough to use as an OA next year - he should probably look to go to school back home - he'd get one year paid for at least, maybe two because he was injured this year playing.

Hunter Smith moves a spot up the depth chart I guess. What about playing Bowen up front - could he do it? This would allow McNaughton to play - I think he's good enough to and we could even use him on our PP.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Tough break for the kid. Was it the same shoulder that he had fixed? He played all last year hurt and seemed to come on a bit in the final third of the season to the point he could have been a good 3rd/4th line gritty guy for us.

From the Spits perspective can they keep him without using a card on him? Did they already use a card on him? He's not good enough to use as an OA next year - he should probably look to go to school back home - he'd get one year paid for at least, maybe two because he was injured this year playing.

Hunter Smith moves a spot up the depth chart I guess. What about playing Bowen up front - could he do it? This would allow McNaughton to play - I think he's good enough to and we could even use him on our PP.
Some things:
Hopefully had him on a floating card does not count against the 30,a team is allowed 3 until Oct 10
As for Smith I still dont think he is ready for Jr A but it looks like he is the 23rd player
Bowen upfront does make sense especially if u want McNaughton in the lineup
Studnicka-Bilcke-Bowen/Verbeek would be an energy,bowling ball type line

Old
09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Yakupov sent back to Sarnia, huge boost for the Sting. You have to think the Sting should finish ahead of Windsor now. Talking 7th or 8th in the West now?

Old
09-15-2012, 02:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Yakupov sent back to Sarnia, huge boost for the Sting. You have to think the Sting should finish ahead of Windsor now. Talking 7th or 8th in the West now?
I doubt very much Yakapov ever plays for the Sting again
Just a paper transaction,if they could have sent him to the AHL it would have been done
He is headed to Europe

Rayzor

Where to hear about Alonge

Old
09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
OHLTG

Take this for what it's worth - Alonge's Twitter says "real bad luck" as of yesterday evening.

Old
09-15-2012, 03:24 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I doubt very much Yakapov ever plays for the Sting again
Just a paper transaction,if they could have sent him to the AHL it would have been done
He is headed to Europe

Rayzor

Where to hear about Alonge
Doesn't Edmonton choose where Yakupov goes though?

Heard from a source close to the team regarding Alonge.

Old
09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
big papa

Quote:
Doesn't Edmonton choose where Yakupov goes though?

Heard from a source close to the team regarding Alonge.
Yes Edmonton has the option to send him to Russia much like Boston and Koko this summer. Edmonton could have said playing in Sarnia would give him a chance to work on some parts of his game while also playing at the WJHC -20. Sarnia should have a good season with both Yakupov and Gally on the team. Wonder if they will play Sunday

Old
09-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Ottomatic

Yakupov isn't signed by Edmonton though is he? So he can go sign with a KHL team. Boston signed Koko and agreed he'd play in KHL. If Sarnia signed Nail then they can control where he plays (though ultimately KHL doesn't care about NHL contracts).

Last edited by Ottomatic: 09-15-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
09-15-2012, 04:30 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Yakupov isn't signed by Edmonton though is he? So he can go sign with a KHL team. Boston signed Koko and agreed he'd play in KHL. If Sarnia signed Nail then they can control where he plays (though ultimately KHL doesn't care about NHL contracts).
Yes he is signed with Edmonton.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...ded_to_russia/

Old
09-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Ottomatic

^Than Edmonton does control where he plays. Especially if he got his fat signing bonus which I'm sure he did.

Also Sarnia took two players in the import draft including Nikolai Goldobin 36th overall. I bet this kid is better than Bezuch and if Yakupov and Galchinyuk are back he'll need to be moved or waived and cut.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Spitsfan67*

Already said he's definetley not coming back even tho he got assigned he's going to Europe OR his hometown team in Russia.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Ottomatic

Cam Fowler signs a 5 yr $20M extension with the Ducks. Another Spit Alum cashing in big.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
^Than Edmonton does control where he plays. Especially if he got his fat signing bonus which I'm sure he did.

Also Sarnia took two players in the import draft including Nikolai Goldobin 36th overall. I bet this kid is better than Bezuch and if Yakupov and Galchinyuk are back he'll need to be moved or waived and cut.
Galchenyuk isn't an import.

Old
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
punch1943

Overall I thought the Spits Played Better

Sounds as if I'm in the minority but I thought the Spits played a lot better than I've seen so far this year. They were in tough against a veteran team and managed a tie in regulation.
Certainly there were a few slackers to be sure but all in all there were some signs of improvement. The play of Schoenmakers makes me wish he were triplets.(one per line).
Bezuch showed some potential. He is quick and elusive but needs a tough winger on his line to get him some room, same can be said for the younger Ho-Sang.
I thought Ebert played a good game and kept his errors on the small side. McNaughton played a strong game. Vail played well, he rarely has an off night.
On the other hand some players contributed very little. Marchese, Devlin and Bateman have had better nights. Offensively Rychel played well. Defensively he seems to always be the last man back.

Tough luck for Alonge probably the last we hear from him.
Pavelka had a strong game, made 3 stops in succession at my end and was on his game.
Things can change quickly in the O, but at this stage I think the Spits might be well served to use the O/A spot for another physical forward. The cost would be lower than it would be for a scorer. Another Schoenmakers type forward could be just what the doctor ordered.

A number of players who were destined to leave the OHL will be back because of the impending NHL strike and perhaps someone of value to the Spits will become available.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Sec108

A player drafted that the Spits could use will come at a steep price.And we cant afford to lose anymore picks while it is.Looks like GM's are making WR pay a pretty price lately.

Yakapov if he comes back to Sarnia will move them up a bit.The big 4 could be Plymouth,kittchener,London,Sarnia.If we keep our present course we could see near bottom.Even though just exhib. a win is a must tomorrow IMO just to get a taste of that warm fuzzy feeling.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:39 PM
lazyboy

Yakupov will not be a member of the Sting organization anytime soon. Coach JB has pretty much seen to that and their rift really isnt a quiet behind the scenes type of thing anymore so I see no way this gets resolved favourably for the Sting.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Ottomatic

So when will the new captain and assistant captains be named? After the game tomorrow? Posa with the C, Vail, Rychel and Schoenmakers with the A's? I think Sieloff needs a year in the league before consideration. Johnson and Clarke would be the others.

Closed Thread