HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Sec108

vCash: 500
My choices would be Vail C Rychel & Johnson A

Old
09-16-2012, 02:13 AM
OHLTG

I'd imagine...

This year:

C - Posa
A - Rychel, Vail, Johnson

Next year:

C - Rychel
A - Vail, Johnson, Maletta

Old
09-16-2012, 08:08 AM
punch1943

Captain and Assistants

I'd go with
Posa - Captain
Vail - Assistant
Schoenmakers - Assistant

Old
09-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Nyax

I think Posa will be captain this season and I have no issue with that. I agree with punch that Vail and Schoenmakers would make the best assistants. Though I'm sure Rychel will have an A.

As for next season, Vail or Seiloff would be my choice for captain. With Rychel getting the second A.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:20 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Spits have a good chance of getting their first win. Sarnia sitting their leading Scorers (Boucher, Galchenyuk and Moore) plus their 3rd string tender gets the start (Dawe)

Old
09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeyboy4

vail looked real good today

Old
09-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
vail looked real good today
Yea he's looked really good all camp and exhibition games, he's playing with confidence.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:07 PM
KyGuy9

SPITS WIN! 7-6 In a really rough game. 2 Breakaway goals scored by Rychel, and goals were also scored by Jordan McNaughton, who has really, really impressed me and 2 each by Michael Clarke and Derek Schoenmakers, who I wasd also impressed with. Captain today was Posa, and Schoenmakers and Sieloff (yes, Sieloff) got the A's. Alex Basso was cross-checking Schoenmakers in the head in the Sarnia end against the boards, and Basso knocked him down when trying to get away. Basso should have got suspended. Both went off serving minors. (?) Hottot checked Sieloff from behind in the Spits end. Sieloff goes face first, down for quite a while. Hottot ejected. And Hunter Smith gets into a fight right off the faceoff. Lasted longer than usual, but Smith lost. DeKort played poorly. Looked without confidence. Made a few good saves, but other than that less than spectacular. Verbeek and Sanvido played, but not too many shifts. Players that stuck out to me today: Rychel, Schoenmakers, McNaughton, and Michael Clarke. Ho-Sang also showed a little dipsy-doodle and speed. He's the real deal. McNaughton was really a surprise for me. He scored with a booming slapshot, and was always ready to help defensively. He was always the man back on 2-on-1's and a great shot, too. Vail playing like never before, I can see 70-80 points out of him. Never selfish. Schoenmakers really stuck out, too. Plays lots of shifts, and does everything. Ebert played with confidence, skating with the puck. Nice to see the Spits end the season on a high note. (Except for maybe DeKort?)

And for the captains, I see this season:
Captain: Posa

A. Captains: Vail, Rychel and Schoenmakers

For next season:
Captain: Rychel

A. Captains: Johnson, Maletta and Vail

Old
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
OHLTG

7-6 Windsor final.

Goals:

Rychel 2
Clarke 2
Schoenmakers 2
McNaughton 1

Assists:

Johnson 2
Vail 2
Marchese, Verbeek, Smith, Ebert, Posa, McNaughton 1

Windsor built up the lead, and slightly squandered it a few times, but Sarnia never fully recovered. At least two of the Sarnia goals were from a lack of defensive presence out front; the Sting forward was left wide open.

DeKort played well, playing all 60 minutes. He didn't get much help from the boys in front of him.

Sarault had a big game for the Sting with a pair of goals and a pair of helpers.

Dane played half the game for Sarnia with five goals on 25 shots. Barrick replaced him and allowed two goals on at least 10 shots (I forget exact number).

Two "fights" (I use the term loosely, at least in the first case):

Sieloff v. Hottot - Sieloff hits someone (minor worthy), Hottot reacts and they start throwing. Toe-to-toe in the corner, but strangely enough, Sieloff never dropped his gloves. He was throwing with the gloves on. Hottot got the edge at the end and they were separated.

Smith v. DiPaolo - Right after that fight, they drop 'em at center. Smith has all the size to dominate, but lacks any skill with the gloves off. He was trying to bongo the guy again, but DiPaolo knows what he's doing. He threw lefts at will and caught Smith off guard a few times. Win to DiPaolo, but if Smith gets his balance and technique down, he's going to be tough to stop.

I was impressed with McNaughton on the point during the PP. He gets the shot through and isn't overly flashy about it. I'm thinking he could make the club on that alone.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Ottomatic

Smith seems to throw hammerfists rather than punches. I don't know if he's never learned to throw a proper punch or whatever. But he needs to exploit his reach advantage, because when the player gets in too close his reach becomes a hindrance/disadvantage. He needs to grab the other guy around the middle of his jersey at the neck and try and hold him out far with his one arm while punching with the other.

If Sieloff isn't willing to drop the gloves with that little bugger Hottot, than he never will. And if he's looking to blow up dudes with bodychecks and the opposition knows he's not a willing fighter he's going to have problems in the league.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
KyGuy9

I apologize to DeKort, he played pretty good when he had the support... which was lacking most of the game. Most of the goals were NOT his fault, the Sting basically had a wide open net to score. Defense really needs to pick it up... they seem pretty goof offensively, but need help defensively.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Smith seems to throw hammerfists rather than punches. I don't know if he's never learned to throw a proper punch or whatever. But he needs to exploit his reach advantage, because when the player gets in too close his reach becomes a hindrance/disadvantage. He needs to grab the other guy around the middle of his jersey at the neck and try and hold him out far with his one arm while punching with the other.

If Sieloff isn't willing to drop the gloves with that little bugger Hottot, than he never will. And if he's looking to blow up dudes with bodychecks and the opposition knows he's not a willing fighter he's going to have problems in the league.
"that little bugger" Hottot is one of best fighters in the OHL especially given his size. He's as sturdy as they come and fights with little fear.

I do agree with your assessment of Sieloff

I was definitely expecting more lopsided win in Windsor's favoring considering the Sting sat their studs. Dawe really struggled today. He was all over the place and didn't track the puck very well today

Old
09-16-2012, 05:26 PM
OHLTG

Hottot is a premiere light-weight in the league. I'd imagine he could go some heavies and do very well.

I'm sure Sieloff knows you have to drop the gloves to fight, but I don't think Hottot gave him any time to react. It was very quick and Sieloff simply threw when he could.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Hottot is a premiere light-weight in the league. I'd imagine he could go some heavies and do very well.

I'm sure Sieloff knows you have to drop the gloves to fight, but I don't think Hottot gave him any time to react. It was very quick and Sieloff simply threw when he could.
Maybe Seiloff felt that if he did not drop the gloves he would not be tossed,he was not because of the instigator rule
I am sure the next time he will drop them

Old
09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits finally score some goals but defensively were awful,really left Dekort by his lonesome at times,it seemed like Dekort was not at his best unlike his last 2 appearances he needs to challenge more to successful
I thought Sanvido looked fine today some rookie mistakes to be expected,Bowen looked awful today,I think McNaughton wins the 6th spot to start the year,Sanvido gets the 7th,Bowen in my view goes upfront to play with Studnicka and Bilcke,with Verbeek and Smith starting as extras,though I thought Smith played ok today
Upfront Marchese,Maletta and Bezuch need to step it up offensively,Maletta I believe was 14/15 on draws so he is really good there,and Bezuch shows that he is not afraid to hit despite his small stature

Old
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Windsor Chief

I find it amazing how different people can watch the same game and come to have such different opinions.

Sanvido looked okay once into his own zone but his skating still needs work. Seiloff actually looked okay today. McNaughton looked very good but also appeared undersized. Bowen (forgive me for saying it) looked good on defense - that is the first time I've ever thought that. Ebert seemed to settle down today and make fewer mistakes - he was okay. Posa did not seem overworked for once - was his normal solid self. The dissappointment today on defense was definitely Bateman. Missed assignment on what ended up being a pretty short-side feed from behind Dekort's net, and had a glaring giveaway playing 4 on 4.

HoSang has talent but lacks the size and experience to handle playing a regular shift at center. Reminds me of Taylor Hall when he arrived here as a rookie. The talent is there, he just needs a little time to adjust to this league.

Vail, Clarke and Maletta give us 3 solid centers and Rychel/Bezuch, Marchese/HoSang, and Johnson/Schoenmaker on the wings give up a good three lines. For the first time Hunter Smith looks positionally sound. He needs to continue to work on his skating but there is reason to hope. Verbeek rounded out the forwards - seems okay but not alot of ice today.

Dekort was okay.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Spitsfan67*

Posa Will wear the "C", he's served his time here I remember he was drafted late and wasn't expected on making this team, he was in and out of the line up for his first to years but the kid never gave up and is now a very solid Defenseman and a great leader,I would be stunned if he isn't Captin.

Assistant 1:Vail
Kid really has come along way in the past 3years and is now IMO the best 2 Way-forward on the team and I think this kid is in for a great season offensively.

Assistant 2: Rychle
Simply he's where the most of are offense will come this season and I think he's earned the "A" on his jersey.

Assistant 3: Schoenmaker
He's the Vet on this team he's been to the mem cup and expierenced the ups and downs in this league can hopefully lead by example, and talk to the younger guys and help them translate to Junior A hockey.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:04 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
I find it amazing how different people can watch the same game and come to have such different opinions.

Sanvido looked okay once into his own zone but his skating still needs work. Seiloff actually looked okay today. McNaughton looked very good but also appeared undersized. Bowen (forgive me for saying it) looked good on defense - that is the first time I've ever thought that. Ebert seemed to settle down today and make fewer mistakes - he was okay. Posa did not seem overworked for once - was his normal solid self. The dissappointment today on defense was definitely Bateman. Missed assignment on what ended up being a pretty short-side feed from behind Dekort's net, and had a glaring giveaway playing 4 on 4.

HoSang has talent but lacks the size and experience to handle playing a regular shift at center. Reminds me of Taylor Hall when he arrived here as a rookie. The talent is there, he just needs a little time to adjust to this league.

Vail, Clarke and Maletta give us 3 solid centers and Rychel/Bezuch, Marchese/HoSang, and Johnson/Schoenmaker on the wings give up a good three lines. For the first time Hunter Smith looks positionally sound. He needs to continue to work on his skating but there is reason to hope. Verbeek rounded out the forwards - seems okay but not alot of ice today.

Dekort was okay.
The talent hasn't really shown up through the exhibition slate. Nobody really knows what Bezuch will do here, Maletta he could be Greg Nemisz or Cory McGillis. It was nice they could score some goals yesterday but it also showed they are soft on the back end. I would also say Marchese has done very little thus far in his career to be optimistic about. The games start counting on Thursday and guys need to step up.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Jackman

Do the Spits need to trim their roster before Thursday or is it set?

Old
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Do the Spits need to trim their roster before Thursday or is it set?
I think they will trim their roster at some point but stick with what they have currently. Sanvido needs to be sent down so he can develop, it's not going to help him sticking in Windsor getting 3-5 minutes a game. On D guys like Ebert, Seiloff, Posa, Bateman, Devlin are all clearly ahead of him and McNaughton should probably get the other spot.

Up front you have Ho-Sang, Vail, Rychel, Clarke, Johnson, Maletta, Bilcke, Studnicka, Schoenmakers. Those are clearly 9 forwards who should be in the lineup every night then you have Verbeek, Smith, Marchese, Bezuch and I guess you can throw in Bowen either here or on D. By all accounts Marchese hasn't impressed thus far and shouldn't be guaranteed a spot but he will be in the lineup because they don't have other options, Bezuch has to be in the lineup as well because if he's not it makes the Czinder trade look worse. So you have Verbeek, Smith and Bowen battling for the final spot. Spits like Verbeek as you can tell from an article in the paper and seems to be sticking with the team all year that can change though. Smith isn't OHL caliber and should be sent to Jr B. More talent is needed on this team but with an organization that has a scandal hanging over their head and not in a position to move more picks what you see is what you get.

Coles notes version: Sanvido and Smith should be sent down and what you have is your complete roster

Old
09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
youngblood10

I don't understand the bagging on Bezuch. The kid skates very well, has good puck skills, he can take a pass in full stride and he finishes his checks. Granted when he has a scoring chance he has muffed on them, but he could just be pushing right now.

I think the Schoenmakers pick up will pay great dividends. The team really lacked that solid veteran presents and he contributes in all areas.

What has stood out to me is the overall speed of the team has improved over the summer. Now that the numbers are dwindled down, some chemistry can start. The coaches can coach up these guys and implement systems. When looking at the roster last year at this time and this year, things are going in the right direction. Still a young team that will have some growing pains but overall it should be an exciting season.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Libbs

Official:

Posa named as Captain.

Rychel, Vail and Seiloff named assistants.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
I don't understand the bagging on Bezuch. The kid skates very well, has good puck skills, he can take a pass in full stride and he finishes his checks. Granted when he has a scoring chance he has muffed on them, but he could just be pushing right now.

I think the Schoenmakers pick up will pay great dividends. The team really lacked that solid veteran presents and he contributes in all areas.

What has stood out to me is the overall speed of the team has improved over the summer. Now that the numbers are dwindled down, some chemistry can start. The coaches can coach up these guys and implement systems. When looking at the roster last year at this time and this year, things are going in the right direction. Still a young team that will have some growing pains but overall it should be an exciting season.
Bezuch is also 19 years old, his rookie year in Lethbridge a more physical league than the OHL had issues producing. Maybe he will light it up in Windsor but if we are being fair Ionin wasn't really given a fair shot either. If we are to judge what Bezuch and Ionin have done so far is Bezuch going to be productive to the point of keeping him over a 17 year old? There's no rule saying you have to keep 2 imports, if Bezuch is really productive and can be a plus player then that's good but if he isn't productive there's no reason to have him on the roster.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
OHLTG

Was there anything off-ice that prevented Ionin from playing...besides the injury?

Old
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
KyGuy9

Official captains named;

Captain - Posa

A. Captains - Rychel, Vail and Sieloff

Wow. All that all I can say is I always expected Pat to be a captain eventually, but not this soon. I maybe expected for this season Schoenmakers instead of Sieloff, but I guess they want to get their future captains in. Next season...

Captain - Rychel, Vail or Sieloff

A. Captain - Other than the other 2 that won't be captain, I'll say the last spot belongs to Johnson or Clarke.

Closed Thread