HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres plummet in ESPN's Ultimate Team Rankings

Old
09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
I'm aware of the basis and methodology of the survey. That doesn't change my opinion of the results.

Garbage in = garbage out.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm aware of the basis and methodology of the survey. That doesn't change my opinion of the results.

Garbage in = garbage out.
so, the 56,000 fan opinions are garbage... gotcha

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:47 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
so, the 56,000 fan opinions are garbage... gotcha
Yes.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Yes.

How many times did you go to TD last year?

yea...:

You know the polling was done geographically right? They weren't getting opinions on Boston from people in Detroit.

So, you are saying that a Boston fans opinion about the Bruins, is garbage? That's exceptionally pretentious.

You seem to think that the rankings are meant to be an objective outlook, rather then fan based opinions.

Last edited by Jame: 09-07-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Hal2000

Sabres were #1 in 2007.....lol

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Phoenix fans are happy... they have an affordable team, that just went to a conference finals, they get their money's worth, they love their coach, they have a decent core of players... they know their ownership situation sucks... not sure why this is surprising to anyone..

meanwhile, Boston fans are the most spoiled in all of sports. They think any season that doesn't result in a championship is a complete failure (especially right after winning a championship)

The Rankings are a pulse of the league's fan bases... the results aren't all that shocking

Old
09-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal2000 View Post
Sabres were #1 in 2007.....lol
unsurprisingly, when the team was coming off back to back conference finals and looked on the verge of a cup, in a small market, with a plethora of roster talent, and a jack adams coach...

Old
09-07-2012, 04:11 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Phoenix fans are happy... they have an affordable team, that just went to a conference finals, they get their money's worth, they love their coach, they have a decent core of players... they know their ownership situation sucks... not sure why this is surprising to anyone..

meanwhile, Boston fans are the most spoiled in all of sports. They think any season that doesn't result in a championship is a complete failure (especially right after winning a championship)

The Rankings are a pulse of the league's fan bases... the results aren't all that shocking
Which makes it a complete and utter waste of imaginary space.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
unsurprisingly, when the team was coming off back to back conference finals and looked on the verge of a cup, in a small market, with a plethora of roster talent, and a jack adams coach...
I miss those days. I miss hockey. I hope it comes back soon.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:19 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Unless you're interested in seeing the pulse of the fanbases of various sports teams. Which obviously many are...

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Unless you're interested in seeing the pulse of the fanbases of various sports teams. Which obviously many are...
I find it interesting that one of the top "franchises" in this system is one that (at the time of the survey) was in very real jeopardy of no longer existing.

I think stability of the franchise is more important than how cheap the tickets are. Obviously joe blow to sits on the 300s has a different (limited) view on things.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

How many times did you go to TD last year?

yea...:

You know the polling was done geographically right? They weren't getting opinions on Boston from people in Detroit.

So, you are saying that a Boston fans opinion about the Bruins, is garbage? That's exceptionally pretentious.

You seem to think that the rankings are meant to be an objective outlook, rather then fan based opinions.
I attended 4 games at the TD Garden last year. 3 the year before.Any other questions? I wouldn't speak to the gameday experience there if I didn't have firsthand knowledge.

I'm saying that I don't care that Joe Sports Fan in Cambridge thinks that Claude Julien is the best coach in the history of coaches (which he isn't), or Random Guy in Jersey that thinks Tom Coughlin sucks (he doesn't), or WGR Caller who thinks that the FNC is overpriced. (It's not.)

Reading message boards and listening to talk radio is proof positive that the vast majority of people that would participate in this survey are not objective about a lot of things, and a survey of non objective individuals doesn't tell us anything relevant about the franchises.

This survey is a collation of nonobjective, biased opinions weighted with a random, made up metric, that doesn't even take into account the actual performance of the teams included. What's the point?

Old
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
not really, but i admire your hyperbole

Old
09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
You mean like the majority of the internet?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
I'm not even mad... that's amazing.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I attended 4 games at the TD Garden last year. 3 the year before.Any other questions? I wouldn't speak to the gameday experience there if I didn't have firsthand knowledge.
and what makes you so objective about the experience? Most likely you viewed it through the prism of a disgruntled Sabres fan

Quote:
I'm saying that I don't care that Joe Sports Fan in Cambridge thinks that Claude Julien is the best coach in the history of coaches (which he isn't), or Random Guy in Jersey that thinks Tom Coughlin sucks (he doesn't), or WGR Caller who thinks that the FNC is overpriced. (It's not.)
i'm well aware that you dont care what other people think
(claude julien is a great coach)

Quote:
Reading message boards and listening to talk radio is proof positive that the vast majority of people that would participate in this survey are not objective about a lot of things, and a survey of non objective individuals doesn't tell us anything relevant about the franchises.
"if you don't agree, label it non objective!!!"

Quote:
This survey is a collation of nonobjective, biased opinions weighted with a random, made up metric, that doesn't even take into account the actual performance of the teams included. What's the point?
you wanted a survey of fan bases to be without personal opinion? that's a riot...

what makes the metric random and made up? the fan base voted on which categories were most important to them, and the weighting system was designed around that.

the worked with a sports marketing agency and a polling agency

and by the way, it does take into account performance... reg/playoff wins are accounted for in the category "bang for buck"

Old
09-08-2012, 07:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
and what makes you so objective about the experience? Most likely you viewed it through the prism of a disgruntled Sabres fan
Thank you for telling me what my mindset was for the games I attended. They weren't even all Sabres vs. Bruins. Only 3 of them where. You may find this crazy, but when I'm out of town, I occasionally attend sporting events that don't involve the Sabres.

I'm done here. I never said anything about what "I wanted" this survey to be. I have simply commented about why I feel the survey, and it's methods, are without merit.

Everyone can make their own judgements about what they feel this survey means. I've made mine, I'm simply backing up my position. I'll continue to put zero stock in this survey, just like I put zero stock in your opinions

Old
09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
bullseyed

Quote:
Bourne is a really good hockey writer.

And there are tons of questionable rankings there. Not just one outlier.

EDIT: Just sort by stadium experience. Then laugh away. The Sabres are 73rd. Montreal 74th. Bruins 85th. I've been to multiple games at the TD Garden. It's hundreds of times better than the FNC.
Yeah but if you're in TD Garden you have to sit near Bostonians. That definitely lowers the stadium experience.

http://www.bu.edu/mfeldman/Boston/wicked.html
^ The wicked good guide to Boston English

bullseyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
So it's a measure of the food of each fan base... ok.

Not really worth all that much, but interesting for a few minutes. Yeah, the Laffs fans hate life. Yeah, Sabres fans are definitely down after last year.

I'm sure if this was redone after Sunday, the Washington Redskins would jump a good 40-50 positions.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote