HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: Blues say NO to Arnott

Old
03-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
Update: Blues say NO to Arnott

Update:

Jeremy Rutherford
The #stlblues have decided not to sign free agent Jason Arnott.

Jeremy Rutherford
Armstrong says Arnott had a good week of practice but the team believes a couple of its injured players are closer to returning.

----------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Darren R Pang
#Blues GM Doug Armstrong just told @FSMidwest that Jason Arnott will travel/skate with team on road trip. Skated today w/McDonald.

Darren R Pang
Armstrong will discuss with Arnott and his agent brother Wade going forward if this will work for both side. Arnott met with Hitch today.

Last edited by Stang: 03-10-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Wow, that seems desperate. Maybe Steen needs surgery.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Oh hell. I sure hope not.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:49 PM
kimzey59

I'd love it.
Arnott was beastly as the 3rd center before his legs gave out late in the year.

Bring him in with ~20 games left and he'll be fresh for the PO's. He should be just hitting his stride as the PO's are starting. Ends the Steen experiment, more bulk and leadership in the lineup.

Can't see a downside to this.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

A big sigh after hearing that news. Underwhelmed might not be a strong enough word to explain how I feel about Arnott.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Stang

For those that didn't know, he tried to sign with the Rangers but failed a physical last month.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:52 PM
ExJbeck

If Arnott paid his own salary I still wouldn't want him on the ice for anything other then the PP. Bad idea, and unfortunately I can see us signing him. Hoping for the obvious.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
I'd love it.

Bring him in with ~20 games left and he'll be fresh for the PO's. He should be just hitting his stride as the PO's are starting. Ends the Steen experiment, more bulk and leadership in the lineup.

Well a big, slow player who has to have someone else cover his responsibilities because he cannot play a 200 ft. game seems to be pretty bad. If Andy Mac and Tarasenko are flanking him because of a prolonged Steen absence, then I am beyond fretful. Steen after all was one of the players that covered for Arnott.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:58 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

If the goal is a fast physical team that plays a 200 foot game with quick transition play, Arnott is pretty much the antithesis of what we want.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Well a big, slow player who has to have someone else cover his responsibilities because he cannot play a 200 ft. game seems to be pretty bad. If Andy Mac and Tarasenko are flanking him because of a prolonged Steen absence, then I am beyond fretful. Steen after all was one of the players that covered for Arnott.

That was late in the year after his legs gave out.
I'm talking about the Arnott who had 8 goals and 20 points in the first 35 games last year.

And Sobotka "covered" for Arnott more than Steen ever did.
Steen was too busy dealing with his own injuries.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:04 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
I'd love it.

Were you just arguing a few weeks ago that Steen shouldn't be playing center for us, but now you don't see a downside to signing Arnott? Or am I confused?

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Sounds like Steen is going to be out for a very long time if we're resorting to this. If Steen is back within a week or two, I see no reason they bring him on.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:07 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That was late in the year after his legs gave out.
I'm talking about the Arnott who had 8 goals and 20 points in the first 35 games last year.

And Sobotka "covered" for Arnott more than Steen ever did.
Steen was too busy dealing with his own injuries.
That Arnott wasn't coming off knee surgery, and didn't fail a physical earlier this season.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Were you just arguing a few weeks ago that Steen shouldn't be playing center for us, but now you don't see a downside to signing Arnott? Or am I confused?
Arnott actually knows how to play the position.
Before his legs gave out and Sobotka had to start covering his defensive responsibilities, Arnott was doing a great job at the position on both ends of the ice. As I said above; 8 goals and 20 points through the first 35 games. People are basing their opinion of Arnott on the last half of the season and the PO's; all of which happened after his legs gave out. Army won't sign Arnott if his knee's don't check out, and a healthy Arnott is exactly what this team needs as the 3rd wave center.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
417blues

When the Blues didn't re-sign Arnott this year, presumably due to the logjam at forward, I was kind of surprised that they kept Langs; I assumed that those two came as a two-pack.

Is Arnott's role simply to be a leader (old guy)? Will he be useful in that capacity without Langenbrunner? Will his authority be diminished by being a late addition?

417blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:20 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417blues View Post
When the Blues didn't re-sign Arnott this year, presumably due to the logjam at forward, I was kind of surprised that they kept Langs; I assumed that those two came as a two-pack.

Is Arnott's role simply to be a leader (old guy)? Will he be useful in that capacity without Langenbrunner? Will his authority be diminished by being a late addition?
Until last year; Langenbrunner and Arnott had never played together(they got traded for one another at one point).
Even before we initially signed them it was thought to be an either/or situation.
Both were Captain's on their own merit without the benefit of having the other one in the room with them.

But no, he wouldn't just be a leader.
If he's healthy, he's a very good #3 center, brings a good physical element to the ice and is a major weapon on the PP.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

he needs to get in shape first

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The Arnott news is desperate and crazy. I'd rather sign Lehtera and throw him in there than have Arnott, who is done. Our "old guy" experiments have been suspect. Redden? Langenbrunner? Arnott?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:38 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Until last year; Langenbrunner and Arnott had never played together(they got traded for one another at one point).
Even before we initially signed them it was thought to be an either/or situation.
Both were Captain's on their own merit without the benefit of having the other one in the room with them.

But no, he wouldn't just be a leader.
If he's healthy, he's a very good #3 center, brings a good physical element to the ice and is a major weapon on the PP.
That first part is a huge "if", but even granting that premise I disagree strongly that Arnott is a "very good #3 center" or a "physical element."

I can't remember the last time I've disagreed with an opinion of yours this strongly.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
The Note
Bullies

I'd rather give McRae a chance rather than Arnott if we're that desperate for a center honestly.

The Note is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
HooliganX2

I'm okay with a cheap signing to fill the holes on the team we have due to injuries. I would much rather just do this then make a panic trade fora guy like Briere or Kuleimin and give up something we may regret in the deal.

What us signing him would say to me is Armstrong went out looked for an upgrade in the trade market saw nothing that worked for our team and went to a different plan.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
That first part is a huge "if", but even granting that premise I disagree strongly that Arnott is a "very good #3 center" or a "physical element."

I can't remember the last time I've disagreed with an opinion of yours this strongly.
He's also a huge leader of the "Cole is garbage" caucus.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:55 PM
BlueDream

Ugh. This can't be good news about Steen at all if they are considering this. At first I thought "well for cheap, he brings leadership, a decent shot, size, and faceoff wins" but then now that I think about it, the main things he brings are "slowness, injury concerns, can't be counted on."

We have enough dead weight right now with Elliott and Redden. I understand the need for a veteran leader to possibly be added but I fear Arnott would just drag us down. He can't play in Hitchcock's system that effectively so I would just say pass. We need to get a veteran leader who can actually play and isn't 47 years old.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Being a fan of a potential Cup contender that is run on a shoestring budget is painful.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:58 PM
BlueDream

It can be pretty depressing.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote