HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What should I do?

Old
09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
What should I do?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this part of the board, but I figured this is where I could get some good advice, so let me tell you my story. I'm 17, last year was my sophomore year in high school. I missed more than half of the season due to a seperated shoulder, as well as hip problems that the doctors couldn't figure out yet. Well, my shoulder is better now, but it turns out I have a deformity in my hip called CAM type femoral acetabular impingement. In more simple terms, its essentially a bone growth that onstantly knocks against my labrum, and hip bone. I'm getting surgery this october, and have to miss this whole season. I live and breathe hockey, so I was just wondering, while I want to have the best senior season I can possibly have coming off surgery, what are the best muscles to work on in the offseason? Especially in the upper body. Right now, I just do 100 or so variant pushups a day. thoughts? thanks in advance everyone.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

To add, the condition I have, for those who haven't heard of it, the #1 activity that aggravates it is.... Ice hockey. Just my luck. For me as a player, I'm a fast skater, not as balanced as id like to be though, and for the muscle thing, I just want to know what muscles to work on for shooting, because that is easily the weakest part of my game. Thanks again.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:10 PM
theFinn

Get a referral from your doctor to a physio-therapist, preferably someone that specializes in sports injuries. That person will be able to design not just a workout that will help with conditioning but also one that will help you recover as quickly and as fully from the surgery as you can. They'll give you much better and more complete information than any internet forum will.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
Get a referral from your doctor to a physio-therapist, preferably someone that specializes in sports injuries. That person will be able to design not just a workout that will help with conditioning but also one that will help you recover as quickly and as fully from the surgery as you can. They'll give you much better and more complete information than any internet forum will.
Just figured id ask here too, here I'm wondering more about upper body strength for shooting and what muscles to work on. The physical therapy I did before surgery was an option did help for sure, I'm not worried so much about my hip recovering, I just want to come back and have a better season than I've ever had before, because it will be my last season of competitive hockey ever, and in order for that to happen, I need to have a better shot. Thank you much for the response!

Old
09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Wrist curls. Take a dumbell and put your arm over your knee when sitting down and curl your wrist while keeping your arm stationary. Or get a stress ball and when laying around watching TV at night just squeeze it until your arms burn so bad you literally cant squeeze anymore, then rest a little and keep doing it. You'll have a sick, quick release wrister which is way more deadly than any slapper. Pushups are also good. There are so many variations of pushups and you can work your entire upper body doing them, they are the ultimate upper body workout.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couter View Post
Wrist curls.
This was my first thought too. I think it was Phil Esposito who used to roll a broomstick in his hands. Do that enough and you'll be ripping wrist shots when you finally get back out there.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would just work with your doctor and physical therapist. Take it easy as needed and then do the exercises they give you. Eventually you'll probably want to get in touch with someone who works on mobility and flexibility to prevent issues down the road.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:43 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Thanks guys. I hope it all goes well. I've never had a great shot before, so that would certainly help. I didn't even know wrist curls were a thing.