HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Sutter; Linemates and potential offensively

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-08-2012, 09:03 PM
  #26
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Agreed. Ray Shero had 2 options.

Staal for a year then have Dustin Jeffrey or a UFA as 3rd line center.

or...

Brandon Sutter as 3rd line center, plus the additions of Derrick Pouliot and Brian Dumoulin to our prospect pool.
Yeah. It was great asset management.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 09:32 PM
  #27
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?
 
Sour Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Home of Black+Gold
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah. It was great asset management.
it really was. and on the other end, it was cool to see jim rutherford make a fair hockey trade, rather than *** **** the pens on the premise that he knows jordan wants to play with eric. i think other GMs woulda been a little more cut-throat. i liked the mutual respect there...

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:11 PM
  #28
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
it really was. and on the other end, it was cool to see jim rutherford make a fair hockey trade, rather than *** **** the pens on the premise that he knows jordan wants to play with eric. i think other GMs woulda been a little more cut-throat. i liked the mutual respect there...
I really, REALLY hated Staal for coming out and saying that. Couldn't he just shut up, get traded and then move on? Like Hossa did. The Pens are get burned by both end of the candle with those two.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
  #29
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?
 
Sour Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Home of Black+Gold
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I really, REALLY hated Staal for coming out and saying that. Couldn't he just shut up, get traded and then move on? Like Hossa did. The Pens are get burned by both end of the candle with those two.
he really destroyed ray's options. staal for bobby ryan is just.....perfect. but at least ray used the rags & marc to drive up the price a little bit.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
  #30
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
he really destroyed ray's options. staal for bobby ryan is just.....perfect. but at least ray used the rags & marc to drive up the price a little bit.
Yeah its hard to argue against Shero on that one and I really like Doumo.

Still mad about the Zib trade though.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
  #31
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I really, REALLY hated Staal for coming out and saying that. Couldn't he just shut up, get traded and then move on? Like Hossa did. The Pens are get burned by both end of the candle with those two.
I don't think Staal ever came out publicly and said the only place he'd re-sign is Carolina, did he?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:32 PM
  #32
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I don't think Staal ever came out publicly and said the only place he'd re-sign is Carolina, did he?
It seemed to be known by everyone and everyone that counted.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:47 PM
  #33
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?
 
Sour Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Home of Black+Gold
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
i should backtrack a little on what i said on staal destroying ray's options. him "wanting" to have a more prominent role and play with his brother destroyed ray's options. him declaring it - i can honestly say i don't know if it hurt or helped. it helped in that jim rutherford knew he could extend his contract and therefore was willing to part with some good assets. but maybe, just maybe, other gms would've been confident they could've convinced him to stick around. hard to say at this point..

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 10:49 PM
  #34
Candyman
Registered User
 
Candyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
fair enough.

Really, I would need to see him a lot more than I have to know how he projects to be a wing. I just think Shero and Bylsma both want to build the centers first and fill in around them. That puts him firmly in the 3C spot unless Jeffrey can really step up in a big way.
Just curious, what do you think of Vitale playing 3C and Jeffery in 4c?

Something like

Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi/Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis/Tangradi
Glass-Jeffery-Kennedy

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:03 PM
  #35
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
It seemed to be known by everyone and everyone that counted.
That doesn't mean Staal said it publicly.

The man had every right to tell Shero/prospective trade partners that there was only one or two specific teams he'd consider re-signing with prior to UFA. In fact, doing anything less would've been misleading.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:15 PM
  #36
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That doesn't mean Staal said it publicly.

The man had every right to tell Shero/prospective trade partners that there was only one or two specific teams he'd consider re-signing with prior to UFA. In fact, doing anything less would've been misleading.
I know man but Staal doing it and Hossa not doing it kinda burns.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
  #37
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I know man but Staal doing it and Hossa not doing it kinda burns.
I hear ya, but I don't think they're on the same level. Hossa left for the team we just played in the Finals, using the justification that he wanted the best chance to win.

That burned, because we had just given up significant (at the time) assets to acquire him, and now he was spurning us to go to a rival after a fresh, crushing loss...implying we weren't good enough on the way.

Staal just wanted scoring line opportunities he'd never have here, and a chance to play with his family.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:09 AM
  #38
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Just curious, what do you think of Vitale playing 3C and Jeffery in 4c?

Something like

Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi/Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis/Tangradi
Glass-Jeffery-Kennedy
I don't see it happening. Vitale is a 4th liner. Jeffrey may not even be that, but if he does work out he has the skillset to be a solid 3rd liner.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
  #39
Bonesy99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Agreed. Ray Shero had 2 options.

Staal for a year then have Dustin Jeffrey or a UFA as 3rd line center.

or...

Brandon Sutter as 3rd line center, plus the additions of Derrick Pouliot and Brian Dumoulin to our prospect pool.
and cap space... A 3C should not be paid 6 mil. Crosby and Malkin can take up 20 + mins a peice. That does not leave much in the way for the other centers. Staal did eat a lot of minutes up, but a winger + Sutter will likely produce as much as staal would on the 3rd line so they do not really lose too much in my eyes.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:12 AM
  #40
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks
 
Cardboard Orpik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Yeah its very frustrating. Especially since we are in a win now mode & the other key part of the deal won't be ready for years.
Whatever piece we end up picking up to fill the cap space Staal left will be though. In my mind the trade hasn't been finished yet.

Cardboard Orpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:46 AM
  #41
Bishop7979
Registered User
 
Bishop7979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't see it happening. Vitale is a 4th liner. Jeffrey may not even be that, but if he does work out he has the skillset to be a solid 3rd liner.
I also thing that if Sutter were to be moved up and onto a wing it would be because 1. Tangradi bombed out in a top six role and 2. DJ were to bounce back from his injuries and be the player he was two seasons ago.

I also do not think you move Sutter to Sids wing just to take Duper down to a third line role and TK to a fourth . . . If Sutter were to move up I would see ...

Kunitz Sid Duper
Sutter Geno Neal
Cooke DJ TK

As your top nine ...

or just move Sutter up and sign Dom Moore to play third line center between Cooke and TK if DJ hasnt regained form.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:50 AM
  #42
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
He will definitely be starting out at 3C. It's possible if someone steps up and shows they can handle the 3C spot that he could be given a shot at wing and really do well there. My only real question with your post is saying he can uses his size on the boards. Simply put, he doesn't have size. He's 6'3" 180 lbs.
Well, that's what he was listed at from last season. I wonder if he's added any muscle this off season. Even if he can get to 200lbs, that should help a lot, but that's a lot of weight to add in one summer if he wasn't already packing it on when his previous team packed it in early. That means from April-September, he could have done that easily...adding 15-20lbs of muscle.

If he could still be as fast as he is with 20-25 more lbs of muscle on his frame, that'd be perfect. 6'3" 205 is around the same as Neal.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:05 AM
  #43
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Well, that's what he was listed at from last season. I wonder if he's added any muscle this off season. Even if he can get to 200lbs, that should help a lot, but that's a lot of weight to add in one summer if he wasn't already packing it on when his previous team packed it in early. That means from April-September, he could have done that easily...adding 15-20lbs of muscle.

If he could still be as fast as he is with 20-25 more lbs of muscle on his frame, that'd be perfect. 6'3" 205 is around the same as Neal.
From everything he's said, he has a horribly hard time putting on weight.



180 might be generous at the time of these pictures being taken.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 09:07 AM
  #44
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
I also thing that if Sutter were to be moved up and onto a wing it would be because 1. Tangradi bombed out in a top six role and 2. DJ were to bounce back from his injuries and be the player he was two seasons ago.

I also do not think you move Sutter to Sids wing just to take Duper down to a third line role and TK to a fourth . . . If Sutter were to move up I would see ...

Kunitz Sid Duper
Sutter Geno Neal
Cooke DJ TK

As your top nine ...

or just move Sutter up and sign Dom Moore to play third line center between Cooke and TK if DJ hasnt regained form.
Ya that also makes sense. They aren't going to open up a top 6 spot for Sutter by moving Dupuis to the third line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  #45
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Just curious, what do you think of Vitale playing 3C and Jeffery in 4c?

Something like

Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi/Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis/Tangradi
Glass-Jeffery-Kennedy
No .

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 01:50 PM
  #46
Sutter16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
I really think Sutter can reach 50 points a Penguin.He will have more PP time and maybe every now and then play wing with Crosby and/or Malkin, he was drafted 11th overall in 07 for a reason ahead of McDonagh,Pacioretty, Perron and Mikael Backlund. He has potental but didn't get a good chance to show it in Carolina. He's a great fit as a 3rd line center. Great trade.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:57 PM
  #47
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Well, that's what he was listed at from last season. I wonder if he's added any muscle this off season. Even if he can get to 200lbs, that should help a lot, but that's a lot of weight to add in one summer if he wasn't already packing it on when his previous team packed it in early. That means from April-September, he could have done that easily...adding 15-20lbs of muscle.

If he could still be as fast as he is with 20-25 more lbs of muscle on his frame, that'd be perfect. 6'3" 205 is around the same as Neal.
Adding 20lbs of muscle, just like THAT... almost damn near impossible in that amount of time!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  #48
Smacker
#LetsGoPens
 
Smacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Sutter
Tangradi/Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Vitale-Dupuis/Tangradi
Glass-Jeffery-Kennedy
I say no. Sutter is better center than winger and Vitale is 4th line center. Tangradi and TK are top six wingers or Dupuis (maybe)

Smacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
  #49
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 22,295
vCash: 500
Sutter tops out at 190 if he's real lucky and not for a few years I think.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
  #50
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
TSN showed some clips of Jordan Staal skating with his brother and a bunch of others Canes and it infuriated me.

Anytime you give up the best player in a trade you typically come out on the losing end of the deal.
You're forgetting the minor detail that Staal forced the trade and to a particular team, thereby guaranteeing we had no chance of getting the best player (they weren't trading us Eric or Skinner in return, so...).

In short we didn't have the chance to make a trade for someone like Ryan, who would've been the best player in the deal so there's not much to be mad about. Just one of those things that happens to every GM when a good player wants to leave and is inflexible about where.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.