HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Stats and Discussion: 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtsua View Post
I know that Rieder has been ripping it up for the past couple of seasons (this one and the last). Who does he play like and what is his ceiling for potential?
On the current Oilers, Eberele is the closest comparison. He doesn't use the tie drag dangle like Eberle, but both are opportunists. Like Eberle he can find space near the net and seems to be in the right place a lot. He does not have Eberle's shot at this point though. He is certianly a better skater than Eberle was at the same stage.

I honestly do not know what his upside is. He has skill and a great attitude. One problem for him in the Oiler organization though is that he is a left-handed RW. Sound familar?

BTW: Michigan Tech plays U Denver twice this weekend.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-22-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
One stop shopping. It would be nice to get a stream of that game.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
On the current Oilers, Eberele is the closest comparison. He doesn't use the tie drag dangle like Eberle, but both are opportunists. Like Eberle he can find space near the net and seems to be in the right place a lot. He does not have Eberle's shot at this point though. He is certianly a better skater than Eberle was at the same stage.

I honestly do not know what his upside is. He has skill and a great attitude. One problem for him in the Oiler organization though is that he is a left-handed RW. Sound familar?

By the time he's ready for the big show this might not be a problem. 2-3 years from now ?

Old
10-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Yep, seems normal service has resumed after a slow start for Rieder.
I'm pretty sure the first 7 games for Kitchener were on the road this season. Probably has something to do with it.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:14 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
By the time he's ready for the big show this might not be a problem. 2-3 years from now ?
Even still, I think the best he can hope for is bottom 6 time with this team. Eberle and Yakupov should be here to stay.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Even still, I think the best he can hope for is bottom 6 time with this team. Eberle and Yakupov should be here to stay.
If he develops fully he could be a very good 3rd line winger if he is paired with two more physical linemates. He is an excellent skater, a very good forechecker, an excellent pk'er and is basically solid in his own end. He does not mind getting dirty to score, but he is not going to be very physical. So the issue for me is can he beat out a guy like Pitlick for a spot on the third line when the qualities that Pitlick brings to the table are so needed.

If Reider is to make it on the Oilers, and he has a long way to go before that happens, I think he will need to be able to play the left side. And I honestly think he could because unlike a guy like Yakupov who would lose his one timer, Rieder's game is more like Eberle's so where he lines up on the draw is not so important.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
sandhu111

oilers draft pick jeremie Blain has had a good start to his pro career albeit in the echl Idaho Steelheads i dont know whose affilate that is but 5 gp hes 2 g and 3 assists for 5 pts

Old
10-23-2012, 02:31 PM
sandhu111

does anyone know much about kyle biggos is he prospect were planning on keeping in the system and developing or will he go unsigned his size and right handed shot are interesting

Old
10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhu111 View Post
does anyone know much about kyle biggos is he prospect were planning on keeping in the system and developing or will he go unsigned his size and right handed shot are interesting
Big, mean, decent enough skater, big slapper.

I'd say he has the tools to be a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL, but we won't really get an idea of how good he is until he gets some games int he AHL, imo.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
oilers draft pick jeremie Blain has had a good start to his pro career albeit in the echl Idaho Steelheads i dont know whose affilate that is but 5 gp hes 2 g and 3 assists for 5 pts
The Oilers never signed him, due to an alleged incident where he was accused of making racist comments on the ice to an opposing player.

I always felt he was more talented than Brandon Davidson, a kid we picked in the same draft, and eventually signed.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Big, mean, decent enough skater, big slapper.

I'd say he has the tools to be a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL, but we won't really get an idea of how good he is until he gets some games int he AHL, imo.
I figure that we'll sign him to a 2 way deal and see what he's capable of at the pro level. He'll be 24 by the start of the '13-14 season so he'll have a limited time to show what he's got once he turns pro and will be on a 2 year ELC IIRC.

10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I don't think Blain is oilers property anymore

Old
10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't think Blain is oilers property anymore
He's not and I can't say that that bothers me from what I've seen of him at the Oilers rookie camps and more importantly what he was suspended for doing in the Q.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:39 PM
OilGuns

Unrelated. I'm going to the Rebels game tonight against Regina times like these being selfish I wish The nuge was there so I could watch him tear it up

Old
10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The Oilers never signed him, due to an alleged incident where he was accused of making racist comments on the ice to an opposing player.

I always felt he was more talented than Brandon Davidson, a kid we picked in the same draft, and eventually signed.
More talented in what aspect? I fail to see your point here. Davidson has looked silky smooth in Juniors for a couple years now whereas Bigos has slowly developed his dull skills around his jaw-dropping frame. In terms of size yes he was more talented, but in terms of playing style, Davidson is the much superior player here. Better skater, better shot, better breakout and passing ability as well as more poise and hockey sense to read the play defensively from what I've seen. Albeit that I haven't seen as much of Bigos but from what I have seen, it his size and strength that intrigues people. That and the hopes of his game developing into his frame.

FOR ANYONE THAT WANTS A USELESS COMPARISON OF BIGOS AND DAVIDSON. READ ABOVE!

Last edited by Grod: 10-24-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old
10-23-2012, 11:58 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
More talented in what aspect? I fail to see your point here. Davidson has looked silky smooth in Juniors for a couple years now whereas Bigos has slowly developed his dull skills around his jaw-dropping frame. In terms of size yes he was more talented, but in terms of playing style, Davidson is the much superior player here. Better skater, better shot, better breakout and passing ability as well as more poise and hockey sense to read the play defensively from what I've seen. Albeit that I haven't seen as much of Bigos but from what I have seen, it his size and strength that intrigues people. That and the hopes of his game developing into his frame.
He was making a comparison between Davidson and Blain, not Bigos.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's not and I can't say that that bothers me from what I've seen of him at the Oilers rookie camps and more importantly what he was suspended for doing in the Q.
I remember him looking awful and out of place at the Rookie camps. Looked okay on the offensive side of the puck but looked tardy both mentally and physically on the other side. Tardy as in slow, unaware or just not interested enough to understand.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
He was making a comparison between Davidson and Blain, not Bigos.
Thanks for the correction. That said, I'd fail to see how Blain would be more skilled than Davidson as well. Perhaps he may have showed more flash offensively at times in a less defensive league but Davidson is by far a much more competent and complete player.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Davidson was also the captain for the Regina Pats, which is a pretty good sign of character. I'm glad they chose to keep him over Blaine, if it came down to one or the other.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Davidson was also the captain for the Regina Pats, which is a pretty good sign of character. I'm glad they chose to keep him over Blaine, if it came down to one or the other.
Blaine was also the Captain for his team too from what I recall.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Blaine was also the Captain for his team too from what I recall.
Just googled, you're right; he was.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

As expected, Tuohimaa is starting today since Kilpeläinen started yesterday(Jokerit won 1-0 versus the league leaders).

Old
10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
As expected, Tuohimaa is starting today since Kilpeläinen started yesterday(Jokerit won 1-0 versus the league leaders).
And did very well. Allowed one goal on 23 shots in a 2-1 win.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm not saying that he isn't a good leader or has bad character but that's also the same team that had Colten Teubert as captain for two years over Jordan Eberle. Don't think stuff like that really matters in the long run, more of an indication that he likely won't be a potential problem not of his "leadership skills."

Closed Thread