HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Stats and Discussion: 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If Martindale is ready for the AHL and he's in the ECHL it is not the best for his development IMO.
You believe Martindale is AHL ready today?

Old
10-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
No reason he could not be. The kid is a talented hockey player with very good size. His issues are around consistency, not his skill level.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
He should be and if not for the lockout there'd be no question about it.

10-07-2012, 05:14 PM
lakai17

Quote:
He should be and if not for the lockout there'd be no question about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
No reason he could not be. The kid is a talented hockey player with very good size. His issues are around consistency, not his skill level.
I don't think he would be playing with Paajarvi if there was no lockout. I hope he excels as well, I just don't believe he needs to be rushed, unless he is due.

Old
10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Ragss

I get a Penner vibe from Martindale. Big, skilled, and takes games off.

Old
10-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I don't think he would be playing with Paajarvi if there was no lockout. I hope he excels as well, I just don't believe he needs to be rushed, unless he is due.
He's in his 2nd year pro, after year 3 he becomes waiver eligible, if it takes him until year 3 to be ready for the AHL then we're better off cutting ties with him. He needs to get a lot of AHL games in this season even if it means that we have to trade a guy like Vande Velde for him to do so.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
He's in his 2nd year pro, after year 3 he becomes waiver eligible, if it takes him until year 3 to be ready for the AHL then we're better off cutting ties with him. He needs to get a lot of AHL games in this season even if it means that we have to trade a guy like Vande Velde for him to do so.
Wow. You are willing to dump Vande Velde to get Martindale AHL games?? I'm not sure how you feel he has nothing to prove in the ECHL this year. He finished with less than 0.5 ppg there last year. If he can't dominate that league he shouldn't be pencilled in for an AHL spot this year.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Wow. You are willing to dump Vande Velde to get Martindale AHL games?? I'm not sure how you feel he has nothing to prove in the ECHL this year. He finished with less than 0.5 ppg there last year. If he can't dominate that league he shouldn't be pencilled in for an AHL spot this year.
Numbers don't always tell the whole story.
There's got to be something else for his not doing well in the ECHL and skill was not one of those.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
40oz

Jujhar Khaira scored an unassisted goal in a 6-2 win against Brock last night, his first NCAA goal.

Old
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Numbers don't always tell the whole story.
There's got to be something else for his not doing well in the ECHL and skill was not one of those.
So what do you think it was?

Assuming there's a reason for his mediocre performance are you arguing he deserves an ahl spot? If so, based on what?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Gus Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I get a Penner vibe from Martindale. Big, skilled, and takes games off.
I get the same impression. He seems very calm in traffic, protects the puck with his body, and seems a bit lazy at times. If someone could light that fire, there is a player in there.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Quote:
So what do you think it was?

Assuming there's a reason for his mediocre performance are you arguing he deserves an ahl spot? If so, based on what?
I'm not arguing that he deserves a spot from the get-go, but if he's showing that he's capable - then he is capable. That's that.
If he can overcome his consistency and get himself to the next level then so be it - but pointing at his stats and calling him an ECHL player JUST from his stats alone is naive.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:33 AM
lakai17

Quote:
I like Vande Velde, he is a depth guy that will be valuable/necessary in the future.

Old
10-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
At this point in his career we should see significant improvement from year to year. Vande Velde for the most part is what he is, a PB NHL forward, NHL 4th line center, or a 3rd line AHL center.

Martindale has the tools to be a top 9 NHL guy if he progresses, IMO some time in the ECHL won't hurt him, but he needs AHL time to develop properly. Lander needs lots of AHL time as he could be our future 3rd line center, Green could be moved to wing I suppose, but the bottom line is that if Martindale shows that he is ready then he needs to get AHL games in sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Jujhar Khaira scored an unassisted goal in a 6-2 win against Brock last night, his first NCAA goal.
That's great, a nice start to his NCAA career.

Quote:
I like Vande Velde, he is a depth guy that will be valuable/necessary in the future.
He is a nice player to have in your system, a guy that plays a solid role in the AHL and won't hurt you too much on an NHL 4th line, that said Lander is ahead of him already so his loss wouldn't hurt as much as you might think. Martindale's upside is higher than Vande Velde's and we need to see what he's capable of.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Pretty sure this is the whole game link for Denver's opener (Laleggia) Vs. University of BC. It wasn't loading very quickly for me though, anyhow since most of us are starved for hockey anyway.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/mediaP...B_OEM_ID=18600

Old
10-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Fourier

Quote:
This is not quite the case unless he plays in the NHL. He signed as a 19 year old so he has 4 years before being waiver eligible.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:37 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
This is not quite the case unless he plays in the NHL. He signed as a 19 year old so he has 4 years before being waiver eligible.
Are you sure? He signed a 3 year ELC, I think. Once it runs out, he has to clear waivers.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Are you sure? He signed a 3 year ELC, I think. Once it runs out, he has to clear waivers.
Fourier is correct

Old
10-08-2012, 12:44 PM
rockinghockey

It won't hurt Martindale to start in the ECHL and once the NHL gets going again hopefully they can move him up. I would be ok with the NHL locked out until Dec as it will give Yak and Schultz time to get use to playing on a different level which I think will help them out.

Old
10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That is great news! Is this also the case with Pitlick and Hamilton? This could give Martindale the added time needed to transform himself into an NHL player.

Old
10-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Fourier

Quote:
That is great news! Is this also the case with Pitlick and Hamilton? This could give Martindale the added time needed to transform himself into an NHL player.
Yes, the same thing applies to both Pitlick and Hamilton.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Yes, the same thing applies to both Pitlick and Hamilton.
This being the case I would be more comfortable sending Hamilton down to Stockton for 20-30 games in a bigger role if he struggles with the Barons.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
This being the case I would be more comfortable sending Hamilton down to Stockton for 20-30 games in a bigger role if he struggles with the Barons.
Guys like Martindale will be on a short leash this year in the AHL, there are talented guys in the ECHL that will be pushing hard.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
rockinghockey

I think a line of Hamilton, Martindale, Pitlick would be interesting to watch and see how they do together.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:57 PM
The Imp

Klefbom left the game having played 23 seconds tonight. Supposedly, he fell ackwardly into the boards (second-hand info, non-confirmed).

Status unknown.

Closed Thread