HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Be A Pro Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 01:30 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Won the Calder... Got eliminated from the playoffs in the 3rd round by none other than TORONTO. Haha I have no idea how they managed to get that far

How long until I am able to ask for a trade request? I am on Tampa and I like it, I want to stay, but I am just creating a new save file to ask for a trade to get the achievement, then I will go back to my old one and play with Tampa again haha

wKetch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

vCash: 500
Since the mode is so broken for my goalie I decided to just create my guy and put him on a team and do be a gm with them but doing position lock on my goalie. That way my team doesn't do retarded trades and I can play in the AHL.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Just finished my centers first season. Ross, calder and rocket, top 5 votes for selke.

Went from a measly 78 to 88 after we won the cup. Puck control, wsp/wsa and body checking are all mid 90s now, and nothing went down at all. Played 70 reg season games fully.

Edit: and then all of my teams rfas disappeared. Rip petro

Last edited by ManyIdeas: 09-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.
ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:17 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

So here's what happened. I played 2 seasons with the Sarnia Sting, won 2 Robinson Cups, 2 Memorial Cups then got drafted 1st overall by Anaheim. When I get there, the cast includes Beauchemin, Sbisa, Ryan, Etem (who is 87 in game) and then a bunch of random lower players. We win the Cup in my rookie season. I clean up in the awards with the Hart, Lindsay, Art Ross, Richard, Selke (lol'd at this), Byng (lol'd even more at this with how many fights I get in and how many minor penalties I took) and Conn Smythe.

I come back to Anaheim after the summer... they let all of those aforementioned players go and all they signed was Bryan Little. They even let our crappy goalie go. So I asked for a trade and the GM's reaction was he was sad we had to end our relations but he put me on the block at my request... enter, the LA Kings.

The Kings got me for a 1st and a random center (I am also a center). I get to the Kings and they actually have a team assembled. Doughty, Quick, Loktionov, Stoll, Carter and Richards are all there. No Kopitar but that's okay, I'll be their #1 center I just hope at the end of the season, they won't dismantle the team again But lol that Anaheim sent me to a division rival.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Hasa92

This must be the easiest NHL game ever. On superstar i constantly score 4-8pts almost every game, after 2 seasons (40 games played both seasons) 200 points, multiple trophies and the Cup in both seasons but the strangest thing is this:

First year i was about 69 ovr, at the end of the season i was 90 ovr. 2nd season i was about 94 ovr. at the end of the season and 88 ovr. at the start of the 3rd? WTF players skills start to decrease at the age of 22?

Hasa92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:56 AM
SaNcAlandariel

So, after being on Columbus for one season I can say that our finish was expected. 13th overall in the Western Conference. However we did manage to get up to 8th at one point. I mostly spent the year as backup to Steve Mason, playing only 27 games and unfortunately getting a record of 7-12-2 in my appearances. However as the offseason came and went I found something interesting. Columbus either traded or refused to sign (I wasn't really paying attention) Sergei Bobrovsky and Steve Mason and instead decided to use me, a 71 overall goalie, as starter in my second year. Oh, did I mention my backup is a 60-something overall and that the goalies in the AHL are somewhere in the 50-58 overall range. Looks like either Columbus decided to cut the payroll or both previous goalies weren't happy with the team/salary/whatever.
Looks like the 2013-2014 season will be interesting with a 18 year old (turning 19 in the season) starting goalie.
Side note: Apparently EA decided to put my birth year as '94 when I clearly have it set otherwise. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because I would be too old to play in the CHL playoffs if it didn't change?

SaNcAlandariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:20 AM
hockeybpr25

If you played in Juniors then your age would be dependent on how long you were in juniors for before being draft eligible.

hockeybpr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:28 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
If you played in Juniors then your age would be dependent on how long you were in juniors for before being draft eligible.
Right, but I meant when starting be-a-pro through the Entry draft mode. I think it would set your age at the correct age for a player in the CHL instead of leaving your age alone, wouldn't it?

Old
10-02-2012, 08:44 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
Right, but I meant when starting be-a-pro through the Entry draft mode. I think it would set your age at the correct age for a player in the CHL instead of leaving your age alone, wouldn't it?
Nah, when you pick what age you want to start at your player becomes that age. I noticed the same thing.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:47 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Nah, when you pick what age you want to start at your player becomes that age. I noticed the same thing.
Ah. I wondered if I had screwed up the age or something. Anyway, at least I won't have to worry about my GM dismantling Columbus during my Be-A-Pro.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
mitch27

Anyone have good sliders for BAP goalie mode?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Arghhh! Scored 28G and 78A in my draft year, went 1st overall to the Wings. They had 71 overall Jonas Gustuvsson as their number one, hence th3 29th overall finish. They actually had a good lineup for once. Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the fist line, Helm, Bertuzzi, Kronwall plus some high 70's guys. I played every pre season game and I can't make the team!! Got A+'s and scored a goal and four assists in the three games(keep getting sent down before the fourth). One time I did make it, but they traded Datsyuk for a 1st and Chris Krieder! Which maybe wasn't such a bad trade, but I raged and quit.

Starting over AGAIN. For some reason MacKinnon seems to always do ******, I'm going to fix that. And Fucale is only 50 overall?? the hell.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Haha, I won the Rocket Richard, and then asked for a trade and they said "I know the team is looking for a washing machine, but trading you couldn't even get us one of those" or something like that haha

What the ****... I won the calder my first year, and the rocket richard the next year, and yet i have no value.. ugh

Old
10-03-2012, 12:29 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

what are some good sliders for goalie BAP?

Old
10-03-2012, 12:46 AM
InUtero
Oilers!

Did anybody make it to their NHL team in their first season? I scored 11 goals in a pre-season game and still got sent back to the CHL. BS

InUtero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Anyone have good sliders for BAP goalie mode?
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with offline goalie.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:17 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with offline goalie.
I'm enjoying it, I just wish I could face a decent amount of shots consistently. I'll face 20+ one game, and 10 the next.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Canadiankid

Quote:
I'm enjoying it, I just wish I could face a decent amount of shots consistently. I'll face 20+ one game, and 10 the next.
Same

(Though I do suck at goalie, I'm getting better with practice)

Canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Canadiankid

Jeremy Scott - NHL Draft

Name: Jeremy Scott
Birthplace: Vancouver, British Columbia
Position: Goalie (Hybrid)
Height: 5'9
Weight: 210lbs
CHL Team: Oshawa Generals
NHL Team: N/A
Draft Position: N/A

Welcome to the NHL 13 NHL Draft. We are blogging on NHLaroundthecorner.ca, and with us is Prospect Jeremy Scott, a goalie from Oshawa Generals.

NHLATC: First off, I wish you luck in the upcoming draft. How does it feel to be projected to go in the first round?

Scott (With a french accent): Thanks. It's a nerve wrecking experience. I will be just thrilled to be picked by a NHL team. I could careless who and when I was drafted (by). It'll be an honor to play in the NHL.

NHLATC: This question, I guess, is an iconic question for any hockey player. What was is or was your favourite team growing up? What about your favourite player?

Jeremy Scott: Favourite team? Lets see. I would have to say that the Toronto Maple Leafs were my favourite team growing up. I remember watching Hockey Night in Canada with my pops every Saturday Night. My idol would have to be Gary Roberts. He was a pure warrior. In fact, if I didn't play goalie, I would have modeled my playing style after that guy.

NHLATC: We are running out of time here. Here's a fan question who posted on our Twitter page:

If you weren't playing hockey for a living, what would you be doing instead?

Jeremy Scott: (Laughs). I absolutely love to travel, so maybe working on a plane? Cruise? Train?

NHLATC: That's all the time we have for now. I would like to thank you for your time, and best of luck in the upcoming draft.

Jeremy Scott: Thanks for having me.

Canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

Quote:
Ok, play on a higher difficulty like all star, then go to goalie settings and make human reaction speed full and cpu reaction speed empty so your team can actually score. With 7 minute periods I used to get 20-30 shots every game, I quit because I just couldn't deal with all the ******** goals where my Dman doesn't cover the post and the other team just skates behind the net and drag shots it round me. My Dmen always screen me, and they will block a shot leaving a crappy rebound and I'm out of position. The best one was when my Dman actually stopped a cross crease pass, but poke-checked it right to another player who then scored

Old
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Ok wtf... Most characters are supposed to go up overall after the year is over, but for some reason my character downgraded by like 3 or 4 OVR points... Thats so frustrating

Also the GM of my team is an idiot (Yzerman haha)... He let Lindback walk/didn't match an offersheet he recieved so we seriously have no NHL goalie. We are using like a 60 something goalie right now and losing every game because of it

Last edited by wKetch22: 10-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

One of these days I'd love to see a full out goaltending guide. Theres soo many little things that I have no real idea what I should be doing exactly, such as:
-when exactly to go into butterfly
-when hugging post, whether to use R or both triggers
-how deep to be playing in different situations
-If i should be anticipating left or right with every shot
-breakaway strategies
-other little things that don't pop to my head at the moment

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:34 AM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
One of these days I'd love to see a full out goaltending guide. Theres soo many little things that I have no real idea what I should be doing exactly, such as:
-when exactly to go into butterfly
When somebody takes a shot or they are around 6-8ft from the net, so that they can't shoot 5 hole.

-when hugging post, whether to use R or both triggers
Both triggers, covers more of the net or, press RT (R2 on PS3?) and right thumbstick down.
-how deep to be playing in different situations
If there's a chance for a cross crease, go deep in the crease, easier to save, and when they are taking shots from blue line or around there don't challenge too much so that if a rebound comes of it it's easier to save when you are playing deep in the crease.
-If i should be anticipating left or right with every shot
It's part guessing, try to look where he is skating and try read his play, and where to anticipate. But i'd suggest to most of the time to anticipate to short side, since most players tend to shoot there since it's usually an easy goal if one does not anticipate
-breakaway strategies
Flying poke check is useful, but i'd suggest to do it only in the situations when the skater has little room to do any major moves, or he starts dangling a lot in which he loses a lot of speed, but don't do it many time in a row, since most players learns from that and it can be an easy goal for them. But on penalty shots and if the skater has a lot of room on breakaways, come out of the crease and challenge them, and try to follow their moves and get in front the shot when he takes it, hugging the post is also useful.
-other little things that don't pop to my head at the moment
Tips are in bolded text.

plaaplaa72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:56 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaaplaa72 View Post
Tips are in bolded text.
Not bad tips. Also the anticipation on cross crease attempt might result in your goalie trying to make a diving save. Awesome to see my keeper punch the puck away with his blocker while diving.
Although, I might enjoy the diving across more than others given that I like to stop the puck any way possible. Meaning that i'll rely on pad stacks and a bit of stand up over the butterfly when I can do it.
Why is there no fourth goalie type called "Hasek"?
Edit (Because I'm throwing a tip into the mix): On breakaways, try to let the shooter make the first move and then you need to quickly react. Quick reaction times also help with deciding which way to push the anticipation stick moments before the puck reaches my keeper.

Last edited by SaNcAlandariel: 10-04-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Because I want to. Is there a problem officer?
Old
10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNcAlandariel View Post
Not bad tips. Also the anticipation on cross crease attempt might result in your goalie trying to make a diving save. Awesome to see my keeper punch the puck away with his blocker while diving.
Although, I might enjoy the diving across more than others given that I like to stop the puck any way possible. Meaning that i'll rely on pad stacks and a bit of stand up over the butterfly when I can do it.
Why is there no fourth goalie type called "Hasek"?
Edit (Because I'm throwing a tip into the mix): On breakaways, try to let the shooter make the first move and then you need to quickly react. Quick reaction times also help with deciding which way to push the anticipation stick moments before the puck reaches my keeper.
That's why there's no Hasek type.
Because he did exactly the opposite of that. He'd fake out shooters. Brodeur does it occasionally too (like will give the shooter high glove and then just take it away).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote