HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

"FANTASY"...BUF and TOR proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
BringGilmourBack

vCash: 500
"FANTASY"...BUF and TOR proposal

How about this guys/girls....

TO BUF: Nikolai Antropov, Aki Berg

TO TOR: Taylor Pyatt, Mika Noronen

Would that be fair? Who has the advantage? Thoughts...

Old
01-25-2005, 10:25 AM
leafaholix*

Toronto has the advantage.

Btw...

http://www.hfboards.com/forumdisplay...aysprune=&f=61

Old
01-25-2005, 10:29 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the board (although I never really looked). I wonder if many people on this board go on that board?

Old
01-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Noronen looks like the most valuable asset in that trade, so we win.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the board (although I never really looked). I wonder if many people on this board go on that board?
Whoever cares much about fantasy trade proposals goes.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

how old is Pyatt now? I keep thinking he's one of those guys that will magically appear on the scene one of these years but i suppose time is ticking on him to see if he will ever produce.

He would be a good gamble i think but im not sure the Sabres want to give up on him.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:42 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
how old is Pyatt now? I keep thinking he's one of those guys that will magically appear on the scene one of these years but i suppose time is ticking on him to see if he will ever produce.

He would be a good gamble i think but im not sure the Sabres want to give up on him.
Well they have had him(Pyatt) for almost 4 years, and he hasn't really done much, so I figured he'd be attainable. We all know that Buffalo has to do something with their goaltending jam, so I figured if I offered up someone like Antropov (many people on this board believe Toronto should hold onto him,I'm not one of them btw).
Berg is somewhat of a solid dman to go on their weak defense core.
I agree, Noronen is the best asset in this package. But I also believe as of now Berg would be worth more than Pyatt....so

Antropov < Noronen (but not by much if at all)
Berg > Pyatt (same as above"

Old
01-25-2005, 10:55 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot

Pyatt is 24 now and will be 25 by years end

Old
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well they have had him(Pyatt) for almost 4 years, and he hasn't really done much, so I figured he'd be attainable. We all know that Buffalo has to do something with their goaltending jam, so I figured if I offered up someone like Antropov (many people on this board believe Toronto should hold onto him,I'm not one of them btw).
Berg is somewhat of a solid dman to go on their weak defense core.
I agree, Noronen is the best asset in this package. But I also believe as of now Berg would be worth more than Pyatt....so

Antropov < Noronen (but not by much if at all)
Berg > Pyatt (same as above"
Berg has little to no value at all .. There are probably 20 -30 dmen that are UFA right now or will be shortly that are on the same level as Berg basically a 5ht 6th dman ..

No one would trade any assest like Pyatt for Berg unless it was as a salary dump and since Berg makes more the situation is even less likely ...

Antropov for Noronen may have merit as Buffalo needs to unload a goalie as it will have waiver protection problems the next season .. but I personally think they will keep the younger Noronen and Miller and try to move Martin Biron in trade myself, when that time comes.

Old
01-25-2005, 11:23 AM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Berg has little to no value at all .. There are probably 20 -30 dmen that are UFA right now or will be shortly that are on the same level as Berg basically a 5ht 6th dman ..

No one would trade any assest like Pyatt for Berg unless it was as a salary dump and since Berg makes more the situation is even less likely ...

Antropov for Noronen may have merit as Buffalo needs to unload a goalie as it will have waiver protection problems the next season .. but I personally think they will keep the younger Noronen and Miller and try to move Martin Biron in trade myself, when that time comes.
I'd have to say I disagree on both accounts. Berg really solidified himself last year. He's a decent dman, he's just not that flashy. He has good size and once he realizes that, he could become that much better.

As for Buffalo keeping Noronen and Miller as supposed to Biron, I disagree as well. Biron really turned it on down the stretch last year, proving that he is infact their true #1 .(just my opinion)

Last edited by BringGilmourBack: 01-25-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old
01-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'd have to say I disagree on both accounts. Berg really solidified himself last year. He's a decent dman, he's just not that flashy. He has good size and once he realizes that, he could become that much better.

As for Buffalo keeping Noronen and Miller as supposed to Biron, I disagree as well. Biron really turned it on down the stretch last year, proving that he is infact their true #1 .(just my opinion)
See that is the problem .. what do you think Aki Bergs IQ must be if we are waiting for him to realize how big he is ??? He is nearly 28 already ..

If I was in Buffalo's shoes I would see what offer I got for any of the 3 goalies and then decide what helps my team best .. The offering of Biron was for exactly that reason that Buffalo would possibly get the best return in trade for him as he is the most proven to this point, and personally I think Buffalo may think that Ryan Miller is the best of the 3 in the future ..

Old
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
See that is the problem .. what do you think Aki Bergs IQ must be if we are waiting for him to realize how big he is ??? He is nearly 28 already ..

If I was in Buffalo's shoes I would see what offer I got for any of the 3 goalies and then decide what helps my team best .. The offering of Biron was for exactly that reason that Buffalo would possibly get the best return in trade for him as he is the most proven to this point, and personally I think Buffalo may think that Ryan Miller is the best of the 3 in the future ..

Do you think they could do better around the league if they shopped Noronen? Or would Antropov be a good return for them?

Old
01-25-2005, 12:06 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Do you think they could do better around the league if they shopped Noronen? Or would Antropov be a good return for them?
No team trades a potential star goalie for a forward that doesn't have an equal upside.

Though, I don't think Noronen's going to be much in the league... but, upside is upside.

Old
01-25-2005, 12:20 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
No team trades a potential star goalie for a forward that doesn't have an equal upside.

Though, I don't think Noronen's going to be much in the league... but, upside is upside.

In your opinion what would be a good return for Noronen. Keep in mind there is not much a market for goalies right now. There is a ton in the FA market. Not to mention Buffalo would be dealing from a disadvantage. (because they have a glut of goaltenders, and they could risk losing one via waivers next year)

Old
01-25-2005, 12:23 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
In your opinion what would be a good return for Noronen. Keep in mind there is not much a market for goalies right now. There is a ton in the FA market. Not to mention Buffalo would be dealing from a disadvantage. (because they have a glut of goaltenders, and they could risk losing one via waivers next year)
Anything Buffalo asks for would be too much.

There's a bunch of goalies on the market... find a good one with scouting and such.

If you can get a young goalie for cheap, do it... if not, and he's not the next great thing, pass.

You can win a Cup with a current no-name goalie that has yet to be discovered.

Old
01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Anything Buffalo asks for would be too much.

There's a bunch of goalies on the market... find a good one with scouting and such.

If you can get a young goalie for cheap, do it... if not, and he's not the next great thing, pass.

You can win a Cup with a current no-name goalie that has yet to be discovered.
Well Noronen IS a future great goaltender. Just look at his numbers...both NHL and AHL. He's somewhat proven himself. He just needs more starts. And he'd be a way better alternative to be our future #1 than what we already have. (which isn't much) Tellqvist hasn't translated his game to the NHL yet (and who knows if he will)
Aubin is doing great in the AHL, but his numbers in the NHL aren't that great. I know he played for PIttsburgh all those years, but the fact remains, he still isn't currenty signed with any NHL team. I do believe that Aubin is better than Tellqvist tho.
Belfour is pretty much done after this year (i know he's signed for 2 + and option) but he's getting on in age and he's becoming more injury prone.
So we need a goalie and soon. Who else should we go after?

Old
01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Would you not agree that Leafs have a shortage of young forwards as it is currently??

What would be Telly immediate future then if you acquired Noronen ??

Old
01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well Noronen IS a future great goaltender. Just look at his numbers...both NHL and AHL. He's somewhat proven himself. He just needs more starts. And he'd be a way better alternative to be our future #1 than what we already have. (which isn't much) Tellqvist hasn't translated his game to the NHL yet (and who knows if he will)
Aubin is doing great in the AHL, but his numbers in the NHL aren't that great. I know he played for PIttsburgh all those years, but the fact remains, he still isn't currenty signed with any NHL team. I do believe that Aubin is better than Tellqvist tho.
Belfour is pretty much done after this year (i know he's signed for 2 + and option) but he's getting on in age and he's becoming more injury prone.
So we need a goalie and soon. Who else should we go after?
"Well Noronen IS a future great goaltender" ..

If you believe that then why did you question me when I said Buffalo may go with Noronen and Miller and trade Biron ??..

Old
01-25-2005, 12:42 PM
mooseOAK*

Buffalo and Toronto wouldn't be trading partners anyway, certainly not for young players that could come back and bite either team.

Old
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
"Well Noronen IS a future great goaltender" ..

If you believe that then why did you question me when I said Buffalo may go with Noronen and Miller and trade Biron ??..

Just based on Biron's performance last year. I never said Noronen would be greater than Biron either. He may be but no one knows right now.

Old
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Would you not agree that Leafs have a shortage of young forwards as it is currently??

What would be Telly immediate future then if you acquired Noronen ??
I really couldn't tell you. Maybe he'd be best suited for a back up role. Maybe he could be traded or he might even head home. I don't believe that he's Toronto's answer to the question "Who is our goalie of the future?"

Old
01-25-2005, 12:50 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Buffalo and Toronto wouldn't be trading partners anyway, certainly not for young players that could come back and bite either team.
You never know.....

And it was just an idea.....no big deal.

Old
01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Skylab

Quote:
Well Noronen IS a future great goaltender. Just look at his numbers...both NHL and AHL. He's somewhat proven himself. He just needs more starts.
That is a VERY bold statement. Noronen hasn't even established himself as a legitimate number one goalie, let alone a "future great". The three headed monster of Bufallo's young goalies has been around for a few seasons now. Due to injury and lack of production, Noronen has been given a chance to take the #1 job on a few occassions and has never run with it. He MAY end up showing that he has what it takes and he may not.

If you actually believe he's as good as you claim he is, then how can you beleive that your trade offer is fair?

Old
01-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Falon

Given the glut of goaltenders in Buffalo, and the glut of defensemen in Toronto, as well as the weakness that Buffalo has on the blueline, I would imagine that if a deal were to happen, defensemen would be involved. My guess is that it would be Noronen to go as Biron is proven and Miller and Noronen is not. I don't see Buffalo trading a starter and hoping the other 2 rise to the occasion. Just doesn't make good sense. What I could see is Buffalo sending Noronen to Toronto for a couple of prospect D. Maybe Bell and White. Sabres get a couple of good prospect D and lose the goalie. I guess it all depends on how long the lockout goes.

Old
01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab
That is a VERY bold statement. Noronen hasn't even established himself as a legitimate number one goalie, let alone a "future great". The three headed monster of Bufallo's young goalies has been around for a few seasons now. Due to injury and lack of production, Noronen has been given a chance to take the #1 job on a few occassions and has never run with it. He MAY end up showing that he has what it takes and he may not.

If you actually believe he's as good as you claim he is, then how can you beleive that your trade offer is fair?

Just my opinion i guess

I have never been a big fan of Antropov (the proof is in my posts, if ya wanna check). It just seems the majority of people on these boards think Antropov will one day be a great player (unfortunately I don't share in their beliefs) I think he is just to fragile. But with everyones high hopes for him I figured it might make the basis of a good trade proposal.

Closed Thread