HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalies - your thoughts on equipment size?

Old
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

vCash: 500
Goalies - your thoughts on equipment size?

So the posters in the main NHL section of the boards who have obviously never played the game are being idiots again and saying goalie equipment size needs to be reduced because apparently you no longer have to move your limbs to make a save.

What do the actual goalies on here think? Changes to NHL regulations could one day affect us average beer league guys. Personally I'm massively against it, I just wouldn't feel safe out there with smaller pads/gloves/chest protector.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
expy

I think the current gear regulations are good enough. Just look at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, you can't seriously tell me that gear stops pucks now can you?

expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Just look at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, you can't seriously tell me that gear stops pucks now can you?
Yeah precisely, there's a reason it takes years for top goalie prospects to be NHL ready. You can't just take a guy straight out of the CHL and have him not get lit up in the show, but according to the guys on the main board he would just have to stand there and do butterfly. I just think the people who say this are "old time hockey" snobs who are upset because the position and the game has evolved.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Gear can only take you so far. Everyone looks at a goalie and thinks wow look at all that net he's covering. Usually that's because of positioning. There is this perceived notion out there that a goalie can just stand on the goal line and stop every puck headed his except for maybe one. Chances are if the goalie is standing on the goal line he's going to be scored on 5/10 times. Unless of course you have insane reaction speed or the shooter is just brutal.

Goaltending has changed with the game. Back in the 80's when all that scoring was going and goalies were making athletic saves or whatever but were letting in a lot of goals as well. I can tell you Grant Fuhr would not be happy with letting in 5 goals in a game. If he won, he'd be content but the mindset of every goalie is to stop the puck. We goalies don't like goals, we don't care what you players think about our equipment. Look at the equipment the skaters have. Everyone can shoot now. We'll make you a deal, you go back to straight blade wooden sticks and we'll go down to pads that are 10" in width.

Unless you've played goalie for a long time recently then its hard to understand what we are going through. With players getting bigger faster and stronger, we not only have to deal with the puck but you skaters running us as well. If you want to increase scoring don't do it by putting the goalie in an even more dangerous position. How about we take away your protective equipment so you stop blocking shots and going for hits? That'll increase scoring.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Hank4Hart

Absolutely not. just because the shooters aren't good enough to snipe a puck doesn't mean our safety should be compromised to help their cause.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Only circumstances I can see being a problem is if you have a goaltender wearing outrageous thigh rises. Rules are changing and keeping them in check for the most part.
Some goaltenders have long torsos and short legs or vice versa so pads look different with each player.
I agree with Hank above.
Safety first.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
expy

Those pads!

Old
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

^Wheres the defense..? lol.

Also I went over to the main forum and gave em some info to think about.
Everyone knows players are thick skulled, so it may take a bit to sink it..

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
^Wheres the defense..? lol.

Also I went over to the main forum and gave em some info to think about.
Everyone knows players are thick skulled, so it may take a bit to sink it..
One of my goalie coaches at a camp when talking about proper post positioning when the puck is behind the net always said leave the glove open why, "because players are idiots and will shoot into the glove"

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know about goalies but as a player I think goalie pads are fine. I have seen guys with pads that look too big for them that probably wouldn't be legal if it were competitive hockey, and that's annoying...but no pad is going to stop that quick high glove shot

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:11 PM
CoopALoop

I've had this argument with my father and a couple fo teammates.

I think it's fine right now, is it bigger than the 70's-80's? for sure it is.

Is it smaller than the late 90's? For sure it is.

Currently, in comparison to "old-school" pro's, the major differences are Thigh rises and C/A's. The C/A's are quite large now, and could they be tuned down a bit? I'll say yes.

I have no problem for thighrises. Make em as big as you want, It's only going to be beneficial to anyones game at a certain point. After that, it's going to negatively affect your game.

What bothers me, isn't the equipment size (which has increased for palyers mind you), but it's the knee-jerk reaction that Goalie's Equipment is too large and needs to be shrunk down just because teams are putting a good defensive system in place with good goaltending.

Look at the late 90's early 2000's Avg. Goal Per game where Goaltending equipment was the largest, to today's Avg. Goal per game with regulated equipment and you'll see it's dipped.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:47 PM
CaptBrannigan

I think the only places you could possibly cut would be the catcher cuff and the shoulder floaters rising over your body. As a goalie these are really the only places where I have padding that's not directly over a part of my body. Maybe an inch or two on the pant width. Anything else gets removed and pucks are hitting skin.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:41 PM
clayman

I don't play goal myself but for those who say the pads should be smaller, here's an idea- downsize the pads and jump in the net yourself and try it out! lol..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
thigh rise and pant size are the two area's as a goalie I concede are more than just protection.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
I don't play goal myself but for those who say the pads should be smaller, here's an idea- downsize the pads and jump in the net yourself and try it out! lol..
lol yeah i do the same thing, i always just grab my gear, hand it to the guy and ask him go in net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
thigh rise and pant size are the two area's as a goalie I concede are more than just protection.
i agree the thigh rise could be reduced, the thigh rise helps cover a lot more room in the butter fly but it actually hampers movement if it gets to be too much, so like coopaloop said, not sure if it will actually help make it easier to score if you reduce thigh rise.

pant sizes are designed just fine, the only problem is that goalies get away with wearing bigger pants than they are supposed to be by using the suspenders to hold them up. an example is carey price... he wears like XL sized pants which are supposed to be for guys with like 38-40 waist lines.... theres no way those are the proper size he is supposed to wear.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
expy

Tighrises are higher than they need to be, but considering that butterfly is the most widespread technique out there at the moment, that thighrise is going to protect your knee from the speeding pucks. Those "knee protectors" won't do the same job your thighrise will. And also, not all goalies have wide butterflies, so even with high thighrises their knees become exposed.

The thighrise only becomes a factor in the butterfly as it provides double coverage over the pants when it your normal stance. And when you're in the butterfly, the additional length on the thighrise only comes into play if you have a wide butterfly, since it gives you some room to work with when spreading your legs apart wider.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Tighrises are higher than they need to be, but considering that butterfly is the most widespread technique out there at the moment, that thighrise is going to protect your knee from the speeding pucks. Those "knee protectors" won't do the same job your thighrise will. And also, not all goalies have wide butterflies, so even with high thighrises their knees become exposed.
Yeah this. I only have a +1 on my thigh rise and I've taken a few pucks to the knee and it left a nice bruise even with the knee protectors/wraps on my pads

Old
09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
How about requiring that thigh rises bend back with the knee, so they truly wrap around and protect the knee and don't simply obstruct the five hole?

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
How about requiring that thigh rises bend back with the knee, so they truly wrap around and protect the knee and don't simply obstruct the five hole?
thats impossible cause you need the pads to rotate when you get back up from your butterfly.

if they change the thigh rise like the way you want it, the thigh rise will get stuck with your pants and the pads won't rotate back into position

Old
09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

As a player who played with various levels of goalies, I don't see the need to change the pad sizes.

I've played with elite level goalies standing at 5'8 and can absolutely stand his head, and I've dropped 6-7 goals on 6'3 beginner goalies wearing gear a size too big for them.

It all comes down to positioning, reflexes and overall skills. Yeah, size matters a bit, but it doesn't dictate everything. Same should go for equipment size.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
I'm a skater but it's still pretty obvious to me, goalie pad size doesn't hold much merit for the same reason putting a sumo wrestler in net doesn't work. It doesn't matter how big you are, but how well you can react to the play and position yourself. a 5'8" goalie who skates to the top of his crease to challenge the shooter will look bigger in net than a sumo wrestler standing on the goal line.

Goalies got better and less reliant on reflexes more because their positioning improved rather than pad size increasing. At the pro levels the better skaters equipment which allows everyone to block shots probably plays a much bigger factor at cutting down goals than goalie equipment

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote