HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"What Say You" for the new CBA

Old
09-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
"What Say You" for the new CBA

If the mods want to roll this into the CBA thread that's fine, but I figured something separate was necessary specifically for this exercise:

Question: If you had the power to make the owners and players dance to your tune as far as the next CBA was concerned, what would be your ideas (no matter how far fetched) to put into the new agreement?

Here's mine:

1) Leave the definition of HRR the same and set the cap midpoint at 50%. Ceiling and Floor would be +/- 7% (there’s that 57% the PA is so fond of). Based on last years numbers, that would mean a cap of ($3.3B *.57 / 30) = $62.7M and a floor of ($3.3B *.43 / 30) = $47.3M.

2) Revenue sharing for teams under the midpoint of revenue based on an allocation of 2 components (individual player salaries for a given team and distance over the midpoint the team is). Split that 50/50 as well. In other words, the teams have to contribute to revenue sharing and the players have to match the amount.

3) Incentivize the players to make a longer term agreement by tying the max length of contracts to the original length of the agreement. (e.g., if the CBA is agreed on at 8 years, no contract term can exceed 8 years during it’s life)

4) Put in a “poison pill” for both league and PA whereby if a lockout or strike occurs after the agreement expires, all ticket prices, concessions, etc for all teams and salaries for all players drop by a given percentage immediately upon resumption of play. Essentially hit both the owners and players where it hurts if they want to lockout of strike after this one.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:11 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

How would we go about getting that 'poison pill' added if it hurts both the NHL and NHLPA? Don't get me wrong - I'd love it. I think it needs to be in there because this is ******** already. But not sure how it would possibly be added.

KittysGotClaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
How would we go about getting that 'poison pill' added if it hurts both the NHL and NHLPA? Don't get me wrong - I'd love it. I think it needs to be in there because this is ******** already. But not sure how it would possibly be added.
That's the point of this. What would you put into the agreement if you were able to dictate terms to both sides? It's something I would put in to avoid a strike or lockout in the following agreement.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
That's the point of this. What would you put into the agreement if you were able to dictate terms to both sides? It's something I would put in to avoid a strike or lockout in the following agreement.
Not trying to go to politics, but as an example, federal government. Both parties made a deal earlier, if they cannot agree how to cut spending, there will be draconian cuts at the beginning of next year (military, medicare etc). Not sure how they managed to do it.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Not trying to go to politics, but as an example, federal government. Both parties made a deal earlier, if they cannot agree how to cut spending, there will be draconian cuts at the beginning of next year (military, medicare etc). Not sure how they managed to do it.

JOL
That is a good example jol. That the type of "poison pill" I'm referring to. It is slightly different given that its gov't instead of private party, but it illustrates the idea just the same.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Should have read the bold.

I think that would be the way to go. They've already had way too many lockouts. Can't keep giving them the chance.

It's amazing that they won't even talk. I don't know if they realize how much they're killing the game.

KittysGotClaws is online now   Reply With Quote