HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Leafs players and picks for a 1st. line ...

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
delirium trigger

vCash: 500
Ashton has potential, but is still far from a sure thing. He has to prove he can keep up at an nhl level for a season and he needs to have a spot available for him to step into on the 3rd line, for the immediate future I can't see him beating out the players in his way to a roster spot on the leafs.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Budsfan

I think this year many players on the Marlies are going to have to show their stuff and to find out if they are NHL material and some may go from prospect to suspect.

There is going to be a lot of competition from other teams, making some of their young players available, for their respective AHL teams and it will be a good yard stick, to measure our young prospects, against theirs.

I can't help but feel, that a number of players, are in a make or break year and with some having 3 or more years in the AHL it could make a career decision between NHL and AHL.

We have to keep in mind, that players develop differently and I'm not writing off anyone yet and there may be some surprises.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think with the right guy beside him, he can thrive. I like what I saw when he was getting his game going on in the end of the season with Marlies. I really think a lot of people are undervalue this guy.
Burke thinks he's worth Aulie.

What you, Mr. Jones, or I think about him is irrelevant.

.6 PPG on top of his size and decent skating as a 20 year old in the AHL.

There is no rush for him to make the NHL and he's already proven he can play against men.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Interactif

One thing about Carter Ashton, during his draft year he tested on top of the class in the stamina test. This kid is fit, he is strong, he has the NHL pedigree to be a solid contributer. To me he is a sure thing as a solid 3rd liner. Don't think he has the jam to be a top 6 player on the team we are hoping to build. But he will be an invaluable 15 goal guy that hopefully can kill penalites, chip in with a goal, is industrious in the corners, plays safe mins, agitates, has a net presence, and wears down the opposition in a long playoff series. Being 6'3 205lbs and the son of a a good NHL player has it's advantages.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One thing about Carter Ashton, during his draft year he tested on top of the class in the stamina test. This kid is fit, he is strong, he has the NHL pedigree to be a solid contributer. To me he is a sure thing as a solid 3rd liner. Don't think he has the jam to be a top 6 player on the team we are hoping to build. But he will be an invaluable 15 goal guy that hopefully can kill penalites, chip in with a goal, is industrious in the corners, plays safe mins, agitates, has a net presence, and wears down the opposition in a long playoff series. Being 6'3 205lbs and the son of a a good NHL player has it's advantages.
Bottom 6 is looking pretty solid in a couple seasons, with Ashton, Biggs, D'Amigo all coming in with decent beef. D'Amigo's speed is getting some attention today, add that to the speed Kulemin brings, and what they need find/develop is a centerman.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Bottom 6 is looking pretty solid in a couple seasons, with Ashton, Biggs, D'Amigo all coming in with decent beef. D'Amigo's speed is getting some attention today, add that to the speed Kulemin brings, and what they need find/develop is a centerman.
I have a habit of making prophetic declarations, but I do see a day where Biggs and Ashton will be invaluable in a long playoff series, the hits/bodywork accumulated on PK Subban, Erik Karlsson, Myers, or even Chara, will go a long ways in the Leafs winning a playoff series.

Old
09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
I have a habit of making prophetic declarations, but I do see a day where Biggs and Ashton will be invaluable in a long playoff series, the hits/bodywork accumulated on PK Subban, Erik Karlsson, Myers, or even Chara, will go a long ways in the Leafs winning a playoff series.
Leafs won't have to worry about subban or karlsson.. unless they get traded.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
this right here. A sure-fire bottom-six guy in the NHL, and could turn out to be a pretty good one.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I agree. Our bottom six has been somewhat of a weakness these last couple years but we have traded/drafted a lot of guys who are developing well and seem to know their role of being a bottom 6 player. Defense and bottom six are developing nicely. Still missing the top 6 prospects though (however our top 6 is shaping out nicely as well) and although we have a couple promising goalie prospects, none have shown consistency yet in the NHL. Hopefully one does soon enough.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Brody
High.

vCash: 551
Sigh, I hope we don't trade Kadri for another struggling player like people are suggesting. I'd probably end up being fine with it, but I really want to see Kadri prove all the naysayers wrong by having a great season with the Marlies then making the NHL out of camp, and sticking for the whole season.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:05 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
Sigh, I hope we don't trade Kadri for another struggling player like people are suggesting. I'd probably end up being fine with it, but I really want to see Kadri prove all the naysayers wrong by having a great season with the Marlies then making the NHL out of camp, and sticking for the whole season.
How is kadri a struggling player? He's proven he can play with men in the ahl. His nhl play hasn't been bad, I would blame his poor play on being thrown into basically no system, being told to shoot on percentages instead of instinct and on a team that style was more about speed and risk than creativity. Granted kadris style comes with some risk, but if the whole team is pinching and neglecting defence, how would you feel and play as a young player with his first chance when every chance or mistake you made you had to eat?
Kadri definitely has the skill, and more creativity than some of the top players in the nhl, all he's waiting for is a good fit and his body to mature. That doesn't make him a struggling player, just a late bloomer. I am very confident he will be a top notch nhl 2nd or 3rd liner, and that ain't bad.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Morlesio14*

Watching Naz last year in the NHL, correct me if im wrong but i think he was playing on the wing. He could make sweet passes and scored a couple nice goals. It was only the defence. He will probably prove his critics wrong in the A. I say don't trade him now mabye next offseason depending on his year this year.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
The only thing Kadri is struggling with is the BS he has to deal with on an everyday basis.

Just let the guy play and prove his worth on the ice.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Kadri's fine people are overreacting really.

10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

The more I think about it the more optimistic I am optimistic about the future of this team.

While I think we can all agree that we lack blue-chip forward prospects, our top six in the NHL is pretty damn solid. Our bottom six should be loaded with youth, which brings a certain type of fire. Guys like D'Amigo, Biggs, and Ross are going to be able to change the compete level of our team. We're still missing that #1C, which admittedly is a huge hole, but I think Burke will figure something out. If we were able to draft Monahan (or another one of the projected high-pick centers) then I think our team would be pretty damn set, if Reimer is able to become a #1.

Lupul - #1 C - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kuelmin/Frattin/Kadri
Biggs - Colborne/Bozak/ McClement - Frattin/Kulemin
D'Amigo - McClement/Steckel - Ross

Phaneuf - Rielly
Ranger/Finn - Gardiner
Holzer/Finn - Gunnarsson

Reimer?

Not a bad core.

Old
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post

Lupul - Monahan/Barkov/Mackinnon/Lindholm/Lazar- Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri
Biggs - Colborne- Kulemin
Ross - McClement- Frattin

Phaneuf - Rielly
Percy - Gardiner
Finn - Gunnarsson

Reimer?
Really hoping we keep that first round pick

Old
10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
The more I think about it the more optimistic I am optimistic about the future of this team.

While I think we can all agree that we lack blue-chip forward prospects, our top six in the NHL is pretty damn solid. Our bottom six should be loaded with youth, which brings a certain type of fire. Guys like D'Amigo, Biggs, and Ross are going to be able to change the compete level of our team. We're still missing that #1C, which admittedly is a huge hole, but I think Burke will figure something out. If we were able to draft Monahan (or another one of the projected high-pick centers) then I think our team would be pretty damn set, if Reimer is able to become a #1.

Lupul - #1 C - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kuelmin/Frattin/Kadri
Biggs - Colborne/Bozak/ McClement - Frattin/Kulemin
D'Amigo - McClement/Steckel - Ross

Phaneuf - Rielly
Ranger/Finn - Gardiner
Holzer/Finn - Gunnarsson

Reimer?

Not a bad core.
Our top 6 at the NHL level is average at best. It has come a long way under Burke and we've now got very good wingers but until we've got a # 1 center I rank our forward group towards the bottom end of the league.

Old
10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
WhatASaveDave

Lupul - ____ - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri
Ashton - Colborne - Frattin
D'amigo - Broll - Biggs

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Blacker
Liles - Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Old
10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
Lupul - ____ - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri
Ashton - Colborne - Frattin
D'amigo - Broll - Biggs

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Blacker
Liles - Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens
Broll is a winger not a center.
Phaneuf also plays on the Left.

Ideally in the next few years:
JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Frattin - Colborne - Ashton
Ross - Mckegg - Biggs
D'Amigo - Komarov/Cresenzi - Broll

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Blacker
Holzer - Macwilliam

Just my take on it.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:23 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Ross - Mckegg - Biggs

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Blacker
Holzer - Macwilliam

Just my take on it.
i believe he plays on the right

Old
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
i believe he plays on the right
Under Wilson, yea he did but he's known to play on the Left. He played left when he was in the WHC and Carlyle was starting to let him play left from what I remember.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Ross - Mckegg - Biggs

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Blacker
Holzer - Macwilliam

Just my take on it.
out of curiousity, why MacWilliam?

Also, it's not usually something fans get excited about, but I'm so pumped about our bottom 6 going forward. I think it has the potential to have a great mix of skill, physicality and character.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
out of curiousity, why MacWilliam?

Also, it's not usually something fans get excited about, but I'm so pumped about our bottom 6 going forward. I think it has the potential to have a great mix of skill, physicality and character.
I honestly expect that guy to be the next Matt Green from UND, hence I'm plugging him in there. As for the other two prospect in Finn and Percy when they are ready for the NHL after hopefully good domination in the AHL, they'll a come knocking. I'm glad the Leaf Brass is doing the Detroit model of slow and steady developments, gives them time to bring out their best hopefully. The other guy I really want from the forward group to succeed is Toninato, after seeing that guy in the scrimmage, I think he might be a sleeper along with Leivo.

Not unusual at all. It's great to have and see really because come second - third round of the playoffs, those guys come in handy big time. Remember Talbot? People forget and look down but each and everyone has their part to play.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Badger Mayhew

Let's draft Monahan next year

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Van-Riemsdyk-Grabovski-Frattin
Ashton-Monahan-Kulemin
Ross-McClement-Brown
(D'Amigo)

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Ranger
Rielly-Blacker
(Holzer)

Goalie
Reimer

Trade anybody not in the lineup for a Goalie (Kadri+Colborne+Liles or something).

Monahan would eventually move to #1 centre (if he pans out), while Biggs/Finn/Percy/2013 2nd would be coming up in the future as well. Rielly could be in the top pairing if he pans out as well.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Grant
LL Genius

I'm hoping all of our defensive prospects develop fantastically this year. That way we can hopefully use one or more + our first + other pieces of ours to maybe get whatever draft pick we want. Probably wouldn't be able to get #1 or #2 but to think we could maybe have the assets to get #3 and whoever we want with that pick is awesome. Would rather not but even someone like Gardiner could become available if the likes of Rielly, Finn, Percy and Blacker develop extremely well this season. Of course ideally if there is no season we get #1 without having to give up any assets.

That is why I am a fan of always going for BPA. You may not get your biggest need but it means you get stronger depth in another area which lets you trade for a need.

Closed Thread