Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2012-13 WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Wilson was a liability more often than not. And he didnt bring much toughness. That part of his game is being over-rated here. Trust me.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Hordichuk_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wilson was a liability more often than not. And he didnt bring much toughness. That part of his game is being over-rated here. Trust me.
I watch enough of the WHL to know what Wilson brings. And I can say with confidence this team isn't as tough and gritty as they were last season. Maybe that doesn't concern you or the Oil Kings brass, but personally I don't think that's a good thing. I guess only time will tell....

Old
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24 View Post
I watch enough of the WHL to know what Wilson brings. And I can say with confidence this team isn't as tough and gritty as they were last season. Maybe that doesn't concern you or the Oil Kings brass, but personally I don't think that's a good thing. I guess only time will tell....
And keeping Wilson addresses your concern how? Sure they miss Peddle. There is no replacing that guy. But Wilson? Cmon man. He tries hard but is slow and dumb as ****. I cant remember the last time I saw him lay a beatdown on someone. He is usually lucky to break even. Its not that big of a deal.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

I've seen this team play to, I practically live in Edmonton. I agree they aren't as tough as last year and as gritty but we replaced it with more skill/fire power. And we're 1 year older. We will do fine. We're the best of the best in the league and the defending WHL Champs.

In other news the Saskatoon Blades made a ton of moves today. They picked up maybe the most talked about moving piece in Ferland and they moved Kambeitz. I wish the Rebels would've picked up Ferland for a 1st. Sucks Kambeitz was moved. They had to bringing Ferland in though. Sucks he went to Seattle to...

Old
01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
I've seen this team play to, I practically live in Edmonton. I agree they aren't as tough as last year and as gritty but we replaced it with more skill/fire power. And we're 1 year older. We will do fine. We're the best of the best in the league and the defending WHL Champs.

In other news the Saskatoon Blades made a ton of moves today. They picked up maybe the most talked about moving piece in Ferland and they moved Kambeitz. I wish the Rebels would've picked up Ferland for a 1st. Sucks Kambeitz was moved. They had to bringing Ferland in though. Sucks he went to Seattle to...
I dont think this year's team is near as good as last year's team. But maybe they wont have to be.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
And keeping Wilson addresses your concern how? Sure they miss Peddle. There is no replacing that guy. But Wilson? Cmon man. He tries hard but is slow and dumb as ****. I cant remember the last time I saw him lay a beatdown on someone. He is usually lucky to break even. Its not that big of a deal.
We will see won't we?

I don't think you are getting my point. It isn't just about Klarc Wilson. The team isn't as gritty as they were last season. That isn't a good thing, IMO. And getting rid of Klarc Wilson only compounds that issue. It isn't as though they replaced him with another tough forward. And no, Trevor Cheek is not a tough forward, even though the Oil Kings press release uses that term to describe him.

It isn't as though I'm rooting against the Oil Kings. In fact I like them. They remind me of the Giants five or six years ago. In fact even they admitted they tried to build their team similar to the Giants. So I do wish them well.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
We will see won't we?

I don't think you are getting my point. It isn't just about Klarc Wilson. The team isn't as gritty as they were last season. That isn't a good thing, IMO. And getting rid of Klarc Wilson only compounds that issue. It isn't as though they replaced him with another tough forward. And no, Trevor Cheek is not a tough forward, even though the Oil Kings press release uses that term to describe him.

It isn't as though I'm rooting against the Oil Kings. In fact I like them. They remind me of the Giants five or six years ago. In fact even they admitted they tried to build their team similar to the Giants. So I do wish them well.
I agree with everything you are saying here, but I do believe they are better off with Cheek than they are with Wilson, even if it means they give up a little grit, and yes, they arent near as gritty as they were last year, but maybe they have more offensive depth, and better depth in net, despite having the same two goalies, Jarry is almost as capable as Brossoit. They get Gernat back soon, if Reinhart comes back from camp, they will finally have that deep defense they have missed all season.

I think they will roll over anyone not named Portland, and in the end, they will be good enough to prevail again, barring injury.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

It sounds like you're debating between a team full of Charas versus a team full of Datysuks.

Charas would dominate physically.
Datysuks would dominate with IQ-vision and taking advantage of mistakes.

In the end you can't go wrong with either.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:50 AM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Let's just let everyone have there own opinions and see how things unfold.

Rebels VS. Saskatoon tomorrow on Sportsnet! We have to bounce back against the Blades and newcomer Ferland tomorrow.

Edmonon also plays Lethbridge.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Do think the Oil Kings could've gotten Ferland off Brandon for Benson, Irving, a 1st and another pick. Or is that a little overextension? I kinda think so considering all Sask gave up in real life was a 1st.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
edmontonfan59

Quote:
Do think the Oil Kings could've gotten Ferland off Brandon for Benson, Irving, a 1st and another pick. Or is that a little overextension? I kinda think so considering all Sask gave up in real life was a 1st.
That's way to much, he's not that good.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:42 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
That's way to much, he's not that good.
Was just an idea, I realize it's abit. It's kindof self explanatory if someone played in the AHL for a bit and then comes back to Junior he's good, lol..

Old
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Edmonton already gave up their first to get Musil, so they didnt have that to give.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
edmontonfan59

Quote:
Edmonton already gave up their first to get Musil, so they didnt have that to give.
I'm sue Bob Green also wants to have some still around next year as they already lose almost 1/2 the team. Don't want to be like Saskatoon with 3-20's and 14-19's which doesn't leave alot returning.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
I agree with everything you are saying here, but I do believe they are better off with Cheek than they are with Wilson
I never said the Oil Kings would be better off keeping Wilson and not acquiring Cheek.

What I'm saying is someone else should have been traded or re-assigned. I would have kept Wilson for the playoffs. Typically teams look to add grit and size for the playoffs. Not get rid of it. I understand they wanted to make room for Cheek but I think getting rid of someone else other than Wilson would have been a better idea. Although I understand Wilson's value right now is higher than it would be next season when teams know the Oil Kings have to move him (assuming he wouldn't be on the team next year as an overager).

Either way what's done is done. We'll have to wait and see what happens. I still think the Eastern Conference will come down between Calgary and Edmonton.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Quote:
Ahh, yeah. Forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
I'm sue Bob Green also wants to have some still around next year as they already lose almost 1/2 the team. Don't want to be like Saskatoon with 3-20's and 14-19's which doesn't leave alot returning.
I agree with what you're saying. Edmonton needs to also give some time for there younger players like Kulda and Bertolucci. I think Kulda's going to be a good Dub player!

Old
01-11-2013, 08:52 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Rebels up 1-0 after 20 minutes in Saskatoon. Volek tallies one for us. Volek's been on fire lately, 4th goal in his 9th games he's played. Patty Bartosak was solid aswell. 48 seconds of PP time will carry over for the Blades. There was a close call that every thought was a goal but wasn't but Sutter came out of the box and was on a 2 on 1 and it went through Bartosak's pads but hit the post and bouncing out. Thus meaning no goal. Some Toronto Blue Jays are at the Sask game and being interviewed by the voice of the Rebels, Cam Moom. Also Scott Scissons is on a dual commentry with Mooner.

Edmonton VS. Lethbridge coming up in a matter of minutes.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
timekeep

Rebels leading 3-1 after two, Blades have allot of new players and they are playing like a new team. Not sure why they started Makarov as he just got back from UFA.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:14 PM
tv14

EDM leading 2-0 over Lethbridge in the 2nd. Edmonton dominating shots and the play.

Also Jay Merkley now has 2 goals and 1 assist in 2 games since being traded from Lethbridge to Swift Current.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:59 PM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

WELL, wow. What a game, show and performance by PATTY BARTOSAK!!!!! What a guy! The Rebels were doing good for the 1st bit of the game, I'd say the first they outplayed the Blades if even that. And then the Sask Blades put the pressure on like no other in the 2nd and 3rd and the man of the year for us Patrik Bartosak kept us in it. He was unbelieveably solid(It is Believeable though) stopping 37/38 shots. With some magnificent saves and one key one that should make the top 10 for Saves of the month atleast maybe the year! Volek, Dieno and Elson tallied goals for us. With that win we stay where we're in the Standings but we pick up 2 much needed points. We're 7 points behind the Oil Kings but soon to be 9 as they're probably going to go on to beat the Hurricanes and I don't think we'll ever catch the Hitmen but things can happen. They've won 6 in a row and have been outscoring opponents like crazy. Big 2 points though.

Speaking of those Oil Kings. They're up 3-0 in the 3rd on the Lethbride Hurricanes. Moroz, Lazar and newcomer Cheek have goals for us. Glad to see it didn't take Cheek long to crack the scoreboard for his new team. Brossy has been solid aswell stopping 15/15 shots.

The Rebels play a very good P.A. Raider team tomorrow to finish of there road trip and the Oil Kings take on the very same Saskatoon Blades tomorrow. But I'm sure they'll crack the scoreboard more than tonight with some modivation to even though Brossiot is excellent is his own right.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Rocko604

Kootenay a minute away from their 7th win in a row. Giants fans happy to see it.

Tank for Tyler.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Speaking of those Oil Kings. They're up 3-0 in the 3rd on the Lethbride Hurricanes. Moroz, Lazar and newcomer Cheek have goals for us. Glad to see it didn't take Cheek long to crack the scoreboard for his new team. Brossy has been solid aswell stopping 15/15 shots.
Jarry, not Brossy.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:03 AM
JaredCowenFan
O Captain My Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Jarry, not Brossy.
Just noticed that, my bad...

My bad Jarry played tonight not Brossoit. He posted his 4th shut-out of the season and an Oil Kings record. The O-Kings defeat the Hurricanes 4-0.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I never said the Oil Kings would be better off keeping Wilson and not acquiring Cheek.

What I'm saying is someone else should have been traded or re-assigned. I would have kept Wilson for the playoffs. Typically teams look to add grit and size for the playoffs. Not get rid of it. I understand they wanted to make room for Cheek but I think getting rid of someone else other than Wilson would have been a better idea. Although I understand Wilson's value right now is higher than it would be next season when teams know the Oil Kings have to move him (assuming he wouldn't be on the team next year as an overager).

Either way what's done is done. We'll have to wait and see what happens. I still think the Eastern Conference will come down between Calgary and Edmonton.
Who else should they have "gotten rid" of?

I disagree. Wilson will NOT be on the team next year, so you are suggesting getting rid of someone who could be, in order to keep Wilson around.

Not sure how much Oil Kings youve been watching this year, but he has been a liability more often than not. Grit and size arent everything. Contrast Portland vs Moose Jaw. Speed and skill gave the Oil Kings much more trouble than Grit and size did in their playoff run.

They have enough grit and size, they wont miss what Wilson brought to the table much if at all.

Agree on Calgary vs Edmonton in the final of the EC.

Red Deer could be a darkhorse.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Who else should they have "gotten rid" of?

I disagree. Wilson will NOT be on the team next year, so you are suggesting getting rid of someone who could be, in order to keep Wilson around.
I'm saying reassign a player to make room for Cheek. That doesn't mean release or outright cut and lose their rights. Two players that bring less to the table than Wilson (as of right now) are Pollock and Bertolucci. Maybe in a year or two, those players will be more valuable, but not at the current moment. Especially come playoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Liquor
Grit and size arent everything. Contrast Portland vs Moose Jaw. Speed and skill gave the Oil Kings much more trouble than Grit and size did in their playoff run.
You do realize what you are saying right there supports my point even further? The Oil Kings didn't have any issue against Moose Jaw last season. And Moose Jaw was the toughest team in the league. But the Oil Kings also had Wilson, and several other gritty players on the team they do not have right of now. So if they meet up against another physical tough team (Calgary could fit that mold) they may have some difficulties.

I'm not saying that grit is everything. But even you agree this team is less gritty. So getting rid of a guy like Wilson and not replacing him with a similar player isn't going to help that matter. I don't question the Oil Kings skill. Adding someone like Cheek is a perfect fit, IMO. At the end of the day I'm a firm believer that grit, toughness and will beats out skill more often than not when it comes to hockey. Of course there are exceptions, and it doesn't always work that way. But typically I'd put my money on the more gritty team to come out on top in a long playoff series. The Portland and Edmonton series from last year is a perfect example of that.

Closed Thread