HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Star Trek Into Darkness

Old
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
New trailer:

Last edited by Tuggy: 03-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
serge2k

vCash: 500
Looks good enough, but seems like just an action movie.

oh well, sherlock.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:06 AM
BonMorrison
-heart eyes emoji-

Dat new trailer.

Cannot. Wait.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:11 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Looks good enough, but seems like just an action movie.

oh well, sherlock.
He actually seems like a more evil, probably less clever Sherlock from that trailer.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Beats By CoRD
I Can Do Trouble

vCash: 50
I haaaaated Star Trek as a kid. Saw the new movie only a couple weeks ago and loved it! Def will be checking this one out.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Dugray
No Gifs This Time

Final trailer released

Dugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Was that another Federation ship at 1:17?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Awesome trailer. Can't wait to see this.

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
New trailer:

Shades of Boston with that opening explosion...

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Benedict Cumberbatch should play villains in movies more often, good actor. The guy playing Cap'n Kirk though I find to be a bit generic.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Was that another Federation ship at 1:17?
Yeah, could be a new version of the Excelsior class perhaps? But, it is way too early for that(Excelsior class didn't show up until Star Trek III, and that's about twenty years later I believe). I'm not quite familiar with all of the ships in the TOS era though.

I'm looking forward to this movie, but all of the trailers so far strike me as kind of weird so far, hopefully it's not a stupid kind of weirdness.

Seedtype is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
Yeah, could be a new version of the Excelsior class perhaps? But, it is way too early for that(Excelsior class didn't show up until Star Trek III, and that's about twenty years later I believe). I'm not quite familiar with all of the ships in the TOS era though.

I'm looking forward to this movie, but all of the trailers so far strike me as kind of weird so far, hopefully it's not a stupid kind of weirdness.
In The Original Series books they had these ships called Dreadnaughts that were very large and powerful and used for combat and emergencies. Books were never cannon though so I doubt Abrams goes that route.

The ship looked darker than the Enterprise. My guess is that Nero's ship was studied and that various fragments and weapons from that ship altered how Federation ships were built or that this was a top secret project based on that technology. Remember, the events of the first movie have altered everything so they could have went the Terminator route. Even though his ship was destroyed, the drill fell down by the Golden Gate Bridge and they'd have enough warp signatures, and damage from weapons to get some of that ship's DNA.

It could be a new version of the Excelsior (which yes was commissioned in 2285 twenty years after the Original Series) or it could be the Reliant (commissioned around or after TMP so in the 2270s) or it could be a totally new ship.

Anything is possible but that was one large ship.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:30 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

pre-movie TOS only ever had 1 class of ship. Because it was never established on screen that there were different classes of ship (for obvious budgetary reasons).

and really, how the movies progress with different classes of ship doesn't have to mesh with the timeline for introductions in the movie. Tech in the movie was already borked because of Nero's and Spock's ships going back in time (Somewhere related to the movie. Script or tie-in stories or whatnot, it was explained that scans and examinations of Nero's ship during the attack on the Kelvin are why the movie Enterprise and other ships seem more advanced than what we were used to in TOS), they could easily use that as an explanation for accelerating the introduction of new classes of ships.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:26 AM
x Tame Impala

Nerds...

Just kidding, looks like a good movie

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Prairie Habs

Just saw it , thought it was really solid. I have never watched an episode of the show(any version of it) and though it delved a little deeper into the Star Trek world than the first one there was still never even the slightest problem in following it. So I can't give an impression from someone who knows the show and who's review could be based on how true it is to the source material, but from an outsider's perspective I thought it was a really fun sci-fi action movie.

What's funny is I hadn't seen the first one in a couple years when I first saw the trailer for this one and I was confused that Spock was being shown as the bad guy. Then maybe the third time I saw the trailer I remembered Spock = bad guy from heroes, new bad guy = Sherlock, and I felt dumb.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Khan is listed in the IMBD as the credits but I thought it was Gary Mitchell who was the villian??

Personally think Khan is Kirk what Joker is to Batman... hope it's a sneak peak at Khan for next film or soemthing

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Kamal007
FEEL LIKE PABLO

Got my day one imax tickets ready. Can't wait for this. They are showing Star Trek for the 10 billionth time on Saturday, will probably check it out.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Takeo

What's the background on the new villain? Does he have a significant footprint in the ST catalogue??

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 1963
Pretty good reviews for Sherlock as the villain so far.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Khan is listed in the IMBD as the credits but I thought it was Gary Mitchell who was the villian??

Personally think Khan is Kirk what Joker is to Batman... hope it's a sneak peak at Khan for next film or soemthing
Saw the movie today and IMDB is wrong to a point

05-10-2013, 09:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

never trust IMDB. They're wrong all the time because some schmuck jumps the gun and posts a rumor as fact on the cast list.

Also it doesn't appear that Mitchell is necessarily the villain. Cumberbach's character is officially named "John Harrison" and some of the momentum for hte rumor came from the fact that people thought Alice Eve would be Elizabeth Dehner from the Gary Mitchell episode. (she's not, she's Carol Marcus from Star Trek II)

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:21 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

the underwater scene was inspired by the old cartoon Star Blazers

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I know they're gonna go with Khan and I think it's really weak. I'll still try and enjoy the movie but having Cumberbatch as Khan is just lazy and predictable writing and a serious lack of creativity.

He's not even supposed to be awake in this timeline, he has no reason to be mad yet (hasn't been on a wasteland planet for 17 years) and he wouldn't be angry but more of a swashbuckling conqueror like he was in Space Seed. He's also not supposed to be some Caucasian British guy.

On top of that you expect us to believe that because some Romulan ship came from the future like twenty years ago and altered everything that someone else woke him up early and he's been some top Starfleet operative for a number of years?

And the U.S.S. Vengeance looks like the step brother of the Enterprise-E and once again Abrams is going with the Enterprise vs. some much much bigger ship.

I'm not saying it's not gonna be a fun movie or a thrill ride, I just can't consider it real Star Trek, just one fan's interpretation who got big budget funding.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:35 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I know they're gonna go with Khan and I think it's really weak. I'll still try and enjoy the movie but having Cumberbatch as Khan is just lazy and predictable writing and a serious lack of creativity.

He's not even supposed to be awake in this timeline, he has no reason to be mad yet (hasn't been on a wasteland planet for 17 years) and he wouldn't be angry but more of a swashbuckling conqueror like he was in Space Seed. He's also not supposed to be some Caucasian British guy.

On top of that you expect us to believe that because some Romulan ship came from the future like twenty years ago and altered everything that someone else woke him up early and he's been some top Starfleet operative for a number of years?

And the U.S.S. Vengeance looks like the step brother of the Enterprise-E and once again Abrams is going with the Enterprise vs. some much much bigger ship.

I'm not saying it's not gonna be a fun movie or a thrill ride, I just can't consider it real Star Trek, just one fan's interpretation who got big budget funding.
i suspect you have not seen the movie yet

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Grave
Chomp

vCash: 78
Nothing with Cumberbatch is weak.

I are drunksage hashtag sharks
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote