HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

cujo: holland put to the test

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2003, 02:48 PM
  #1
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,561
vCash: 500
cujo: holland put to the test

the wings picked a bad yr. to do this
confident they would find a suiter for cujo, there are only a few teams left potentially to deal with (nyr,stl,col ?) and none seem anxious to help holland out.

what's more the team is in need of a good scoring center.

would the rangers deal lindros?
at this time of yr, unlikely.
if they were going for it with cujo, they'd need lindros as well.

why would the wings help out the avs or blues?
they wont take 50 percent of his contract anyway, that's still alot.

it seems more likely cujo will start the yr as a wing, and will hope to catch a break when a teams #1 goalie gets hurt- maybe their own

but there are other goalies out there to get, like burke.

the only team that would likely be willing
enough to get cujo would be the rangers, but they would offer one of their infamous trash packages.
not lindros, not carter.
but more likely something along the lines of simon, lacouture, petrovicky and a 5th rounder.

holland would have to take it and run at this point.

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:03 PM
  #2
PigPen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind the trash package at this point.

Simon can play. Petrovicky can go to the minors, and a 5th rounder is always nice.

PigPen is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:07 PM
  #3
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
it seems more likely cujo will start the yr as a wing, and will hope to catch a break when a teams #1 goalie gets hurt- maybe their own
Well, the waiver draft will determine that, in my opinion.

The Red Wings can only protect two goaltenders, and leaving either one of Manny Legace or Dominik Hasek unprotected would be downright foolish. They'll leave Curtis Joseph exposed, which suddenly enhances the chances of somebody picking him up. Joseph cannot use his no-trade clause in a waiver draft transaction, and teams would not need to give anything up to Detroit in the process.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:25 PM
  #4
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,561
vCash: 500
that will be interesting.
that's an expensive waiver pickup tho !

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:32 PM
  #5
lace-em'-up
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
detroit will try and keep cujo out of colorado so if they put him on waivers i would expect he gets taken fast by a team with a top pick. and then trade it mybe to new york because thats the only team that would take him in the east. st luis wont trade for anyone unless they can reduce payroll. and detroit wont let him walk over to the avs.

but some questions could be asked
would the avs take him right now? theres not a pressing need if the club has faith in swiss miss.
besides it hurts detroit more finacaly if the avs dont take him.

would new york trade lindros now? bure is out and they need all the help they can get. lindros if playing well and dosnt get injuered is more valuable to the team than cujo.

st luis has to get some high priced players out bringing in a goalie that has a high tag on him wouldnt make sence, and osgood played really good in the first round last year.


also it looks like yzermans knee isn't healed or close to 100% he left a traing camp yearly because of a sore knee. not saying its serious but just a concern for the wings. that would leave young dats?? playing top line center and zetterberg playing 2nd line center, not good to place so much responsibilty on developing players.

lace-em'-up is offline  
Old
09-19-2003, 03:53 PM
  #6
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lace-em'-up
detroit will try and keep cujo out of colorado so if they put him on waivers i would expect he gets taken fast by a team with a top pick. and then trade it mybe to new york because thats the only team that would take him in the east. st luis wont trade for anyone unless they can reduce payroll. and detroit wont let him walk over to the avs.

but some questions could be asked
would the avs take him right now? theres not a pressing need if the club has faith in swiss miss.
besides it hurts detroit more finacaly if the avs dont take him.

would new york trade lindros now? bure is out and they need all the help they can get. lindros if playing well and dosnt get injuered is more valuable to the team than cujo.

st luis has to get some high priced players out bringing in a goalie that has a high tag on him wouldnt make sence, and osgood played really good in the first round last year.


also it looks like yzermans knee isn't healed or close to 100% he left a traing camp yearly because of a sore knee. not saying its serious but just a concern for the wings. that would leave young dats?? playing top line center and zetterberg playing 2nd line center, not good to place so much responsibilty on developing players.
1. What team with a top waiver draft pick is interested in an $8m goalie?
None of those teams are a goalie away from being a threat to win anything. I think there is no chance that anyone picks Cujo in the waiver draft.

2. In a perfect world Detroit would love to keep Cujo away from either Colorado or St. Louis. The bottom line is that one of those two may be the only option that they have other than keeping Cujo for the season.
Unless Detroit is lucky enough that a goalie like Belfour or Hackett or Lalime would suffer a season ending injury early, there will be only those two teams that are interested.

txpd is online now  
Old
09-20-2003, 06:30 AM
  #7
Pure Slaughter Value
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
No Cujo for NYR

As an Isles fan, I detest the Rangers. That being said, there is absolutely no reason that they should go pick up Cujo when they have Dunham, Markannen and Blackburn in goal. Dunham was EXCELLENT for the Rangers, doing something for them that Cujo has lately been accused of not being able to do...win games by himself. Dunham is two years removed from being touted as the "next great American goaltender" and his performance the 2nd half of last season showed that he's come a long way from his last 1.5 years in Nashville, where he was consistently hurt.

Markannen is a solid backup that could play 20 games and Blackburn will eventually become the Rangers starting goalie for 10 years. No reason to get Cujo, none at all.

To trade any of the Rangers "depth" for Cujo would be a step backwards imo.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 09:50 AM
  #8
btmarshall
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
The Rangers aren't interested in Joseph. They have a great deal of confidence in Dunham, as they should. It looks like Detroit is going to have to find another team, if any. Personally, I expect there's a good shot he passes through waivers, unless Colorado decides they have the payroll room to add him.

 
Old
09-20-2003, 10:15 AM
  #9
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
The Rangers aren't interested in Joseph. They have a great deal of confidence in Dunham, as they should. It looks like Detroit is going to have to find another team, if any. Personally, I expect there's a good shot he passes through waivers, unless Colorado decides they have the payroll room to add him.
I think that depends on what the Rangers goals are for this season.
Dunham is fine if they are happy with making the playoffs and leaving it at that. If the Rangers expect anymore than that, Dunham is not the guy. He had zero playoff experience and no goalie has won the cup in his first post season since patrick roy.

txpd is online now  
Old
09-20-2003, 11:12 AM
  #10
Spaceace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 2,000 miles from Savvis
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
why would the wings help out the avs or blues?
Excuse me?? "Wings help out Col or Stl??" You got that backwards my friend. Holland & Detroit are the ones that are bent over,ready to take it up the tailpipe. Holland is the one with TWO $8 million dollar #1 goalies,not the Avs or Blues. Wings need a #1 center like Weight,but Pleau isn't that stupid to help out the Wings in that department. It would be like Pleau saying to Holland: "Please take our 1a. center,leaving us weak down the middle,while at the same time,give us an $8 million dollar goalie who never proved anything.Please,we want you to win the division title,and win the Cup yet again!!!'

Spaceace is offline  
Old
09-20-2003, 11:50 AM
  #11
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Would the Wings buy out Cujo?? Like really... they wouldn't seriously keep him as a back up this year would they?!?!!? Lets say NOBODY wants him unless they pay a big piece of the contract. Well would it be possible it's cheaper for the Wings to release him? That does create scary possibilities for them though. I mean what if he signs with the Avs for two million or something like that!!!

thome_26 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.