HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Reimer??

Old
09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

vCash: 500
No Mo' Reims.

THanks.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:30 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i like Reimer. i always want him to win.
I'm sick of losing, I want the playoffs.

And there's something about Reimer, he's such a good guy that makes you really want to see him win. I'm glad we have him.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:45 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoose View Post
What would you guys rather see? Reimer dragging us to the playoffs but losing in the first round (I don't think we could ever get close to the Stanley Cup Final with our current team) Or Reimer and Scrivens crapping the bed and getting us a Top 3 pick?
Reimer and Scrivens will land the Leafs 24 in the league, out of the top five.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:49 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
TANK

No question about it. The goal is the STANLEY CUP - not getting killed 0-4 in first round of playoffs.
#RaiseExpecations
That's what Burke said. Let's follow the leader! I say playoffs should always be the goal without selling the farm. Playoff experience is always good to have as you bring young prospects up.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:14 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Reimer and Scrivens will land the Leafs 24 in the league, out of the top five.
Well the thing about the two of them is I am more confident in Scrivens becoming a number one G. He has the reflexes and the instincts, hope it transfers to the NHL. He wont be Quick but he could be pretty good.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:03 AM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
TANK

No question about it. The goal is the STANLEY CUP - not getting killed 0-4 in first round of playoffs.
#RaiseExpecations
That's such an absurd statement. How can you believe that a few top 5 picks will somehow magically lead a bottom 5 team to the Stanley cup? Things in the real world are not at extremes. A team CAN benefit from playoff experience.. in fact that experience is probably more vital to a solid Cup run than tanking ever will

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I'm 1st to say it, but tank. Our team needs some type of top prospect, and a guy like Monahan would be perfect for the team.
I'm a die hard tanker

Lose out on a top 3 pick in THIS draft for a 8th seed berth?

No thanks.

Mind you, it's only because of what this draft has to offer in the top 3.

And yes i would love to see either Reims or Scrivs turn into a legit #1, but from what i hear and understand, this top 3 is going be something special.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
So you want them to win the Cup but you want them to tank. Once you're in the Playoffs, anything could happen. Unless we somehow magically draft the 'once in a generation' player like Sidney Crosby, an 18 year old probably won't have a huge impact on the team for a few years.
Well, i'll put it to you this way.

I believe that in this upcoming draft there will be players in the top 3 that will greatly aid/change a franchises future for a very long time. I frankly believe we still lack some elite talent or prospects there of.

I believe the chance of that happening greatly out weight the odds of the leafs getting out of the first round as a 8th seed.

Now don't think for a second that i am going to go all 82 games and get upset when we get points.

There will come a point in the season where i will make the judgment call that the season is "lost" and then i will go into full tank mode.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
It's a matter of looking at sample sizes.

After game 60, we were in playoff contention. 8th place in the conference and 16th in the league. We were a playoff team three-quarters into the season.

22 games later, we were in 13th in the conference and 26th in the league.

Now, which sample do you believe is more representative of this team's abilities? 60 games or 22 games?

And don't give me that "it takes 82 games to play a season" stuff. We were far better than where we ended up, and everybody knows that whether they wish to admit it or not.
Your sample size of 60 games is skewed.

Unless you believe that our insanely hot start should be considered a norm for this team.

See, i can play that game(lets subtract 22 games from the sched because it was an anomaly)

How about i take away our first 22 games of the season and set them at the winning percentage from those other 60 games, are we now drafting first overall?

Last edited by Faltorvo: 10-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not saying we should trade the whole future, but how are we going to fill the #1C and #1G spots? They aren't in our system, even if we draft a center next draft, it will be 3+ years before he MAYBE makes an impact.
Why are you assuming 3+ years, the premise is that we are talking a top 3 picked #1c, for example.

RNH held his own pretty well for EDM did he not?

Take a look at the top 3 picks, say since the lock out.

There is a pretty good track record of instant to 1 year impacts made.

I'm not asking for any guaranties here or the likes, but the new NHL does show , top 3 picks are making impacts faster then pre lockout.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I get the whole idea of Tank Nation and people hoping for a good pick but we have plenty of young players with high potential and if we're EVER going to win, it's not by drafting more 18 years old and hoping they work out in a few years. I want this team to WIN and even if they bomb out in the first round, the players get experience in what it takes to get there and hopefully learn from the winning team in what is required to succeed.
Tank nation never likes to acknowledge St. Louis. They're a team that's been out of the playoff picture, and then were swept in the first round of the playoffs. 2-3 seasons later they're considered one of the best teams in the league. There's no shame in making the post season losing. You have to lose in the playoffs in order to find a way to make it and win. This is why Burke's comments in the last few years make me angry.

^the end to the Tank Nation debate.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
This should be a no brainer for anybody.
Playoffs will not only help start to create a winning atmosphere we desperately need, it'll help develop the young roster that we already have. The playoffs give players a chance to see what it actually takes and how much you need to give to win in a 7 game series. Even if the team does fail it can become an invaluable progression to help the younger ones grow and learn from their mistakes.

Reimer helping us make the playoffs would indicate that he's good enough to stick to the NHL and could possibly be a starter for this club. At 24 it could mean that in the future, he has the ability to show what he's done in the past at a consistent level.
Sorry, can you make a list of young players that will be on the roster that need this PO exp so desperately, seeing how they have never tasted it before.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
That's such an absurd statement. How can you believe that a few top 5 picks will somehow magically lead a bottom 5 team to the Stanley cup? Things in the real world are not at extremes. A team CAN benefit from playoff experience.. in fact that experience is probably more vital to a solid Cup run than tanking ever will
The argument was a top 3 pick, not top 5.

For what youth we will have on this roster that has never played a PO game and the exp they would gain in what 4/7 games?

More vital then adding to the organization who is considered top 3 in THIS draft?

Heck no, keep your exp, I'll take the painful season and blue chipper.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Stephen

I think the Leafs are actually getting pretty deep as a team, and while another Morgan Rielly calibre player (up front) would be a huge boost, there needs to be a gear shift somewhere to success.

If all the Leafs players are clicking properly, you have a 80+ points in Kessel, about 3 guys who can reasonably chip in 60 points in JVR, Lupul and Grabovski, 20 goals out of MacArthur and Kulemin and maybe Bozak, and wild cards in Kadri, Colborne and Frattin.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
The argument was a top 3 pick, not top 5.

For what youth we will have on this roster that has never played a PO game and the exp they would gain in what 4/7 games?

More vital then adding to the organization who is considered top 3 in THIS draft?

Heck no, keep your exp, I'll take the painful season and blue chipper.
Yea, we had 7 painful seasons already and where has that taken us? Keep your painful season, I'd rather see some playoff hockey. Face it, you can't go from a bottom feeder to SC contender in one year anyway. A team has to take its lumps in the playoffs eventually anyway. I can't believe there are people that still accept losing seasons. It's unreal how low the standards are for some people. I'd rather be on the up this year and making some strides forward instead of being a joke and finishing in the basement, AGAIN.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

I`m so sick of people thinking Picks`will win you a cup.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I only join "tank nation" when there's clearly no chance the team will make the playoffs.
Agreed. Tank Nation before the seasons even starts is lame.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1041
The reality is Burke has tried to ice a playoff team every year he's been here but has done nothing but tank . Making the playoffs this year doesn't mean we're on the path to the cup , all it means is we've joined every other team in the league that's made the playoffs since we've gone to the cap system .

You need real talent to become a long term cup contender and not just a cinderella team like the Habs were a couple of seasons ago . I have no idea why people keep insisting that drafting an true elite player won't turn our team around .

Last year we got off to a quick start and then collasped after about 50 games . In between the quick start and the collaspe the team was playing at about a .500 pace which doesn't get you into the playoffs .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:50 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
The reality is Burke has tried to ice a playoff team every year he's been here but has done nothing but tank.
Do you consider that they tanked the 2010-2011 season? It was too late but on Janurary 1, 2011 of that season which is was the same date Reimer made his 1st NHL start, the Leafs started winning and came close to 8th in the Eastern Conference. I think at one point in March of that year they were 10th and only 4-6 points out of it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:26 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Do you consider that they tanked the 2010-2011 season? It was too late but on Janurary 1, 2011 of that season which is was the same date Reimer made his 1st NHL start, the Leafs started winning and came close to 8th in the Eastern Conference. I think at one point in March of that year they were 10th and only 4-6 points out of it.
You said it yourself , the season was done before Reims arrived . All he did was save us the embaressment of giving up another lottery pick . In the end however we still gave the B's another high end prospect .

Also , the late season spurt still didn't lead us anywhere the following season so i have no idea why people continue disect our season to try to somehow prove this team is better than it's overall record . If we had a one off down year like the Devils did i could understand fans looking past the one poor season but i don't understand how some fans can continue to disregard our overall record to try to prove that the team is much better than they showed .

Old
10-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Tank nation never likes to acknowledge St. Louis. They're a team that's been out of the playoff picture, and then were swept in the first round of the playoffs. 2-3 seasons later they're considered one of the best teams in the league. There's no shame in making the post season losing. You have to lose in the playoffs in order to find a way to make it and win. This is why Burke's comments in the last few years make me angry.

^the end to the Tank Nation debate.
or...

Kings out of the Playoffs for 5 years (maybe)
1st round loss
1st round loss
SC winner.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
You said it yourself , the season was done before Reims arrived . All he did was save us the embaressment of giving up another lottery pick . In the end however we still gave the B's another high end prospect .

Also , the late season spurt still didn't lead us anywhere the following season so i have no idea why people continue disect our season to try to somehow prove this team is better than it's overall record . If we had a one off down year like the Devils did i could understand fans looking past the one poor season but i don't understand how some fans can continue to disregard our overall record to try to prove that the team is much better than they showed .
Late season spurts didn't make us better than some teams
But the last season swoon, shouldn't automatically make us that much worse.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoose View Post
What would you guys rather see? Reimer dragging us to the playoffs but losing in the first round (I don't think we could ever get close to the Stanley Cup Final with our current team) Or Reimer and Scrivens crapping the bed and getting us a Top 3 pick?
I'd rather them get us to the 1st round because the other alternative just will kill their confidence and likely their careers.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:11 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Late season spurts didn't make us better than some teams
But the last season swoon, shouldn't automatically make us that much worse.
Take away our spurt to start the season and our swoon to end it and the remaining record projected over 82 games doesn't get us into the playoffs .

You're right however the swoon doesn't make us any worse , to be honest i'm really shocked that we've missed the playoffs 7 consecutive years . It really shouldn't be this difficult to make the playoffs in the eastern conference .

Old
10-06-2012, 11:26 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
The reality is Burke has tried to ice a playoff team every year he's been here but has done nothing but tank . Making the playoffs this year doesn't mean we're on the path to the cup , all it means is we've joined every other team in the league that's made the playoffs since we've gone to the cap system .

You need real talent to become a long term cup contender and not just a cinderella team like the Habs were a couple of seasons ago . I have no idea why people keep insisting that drafting an true elite player won't turn our team around .

Last year we got off to a quick start and then collasped after about 50 games . In between the quick start and the collaspe the team was playing at about a .500 pace which doesn't get you into the playoffs .
I don't get it. I mean I get it, but it just seems like the Leafs are going to have to lose harder or:

trade Kadri, Dion, Brown, Kuli, Reilly, Owiya, Lupul, and a 3rd to get a shot at the number 1 pick.

Once we give up half the team we'll finally have a shot at drafting a true elite talent.

From there we pick up the pieces.

I'll see you in 2021 when the leafs finally make the playoffs.

?????????????!???????!?!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote