HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Richard's 50 in 50

Old
12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Richard's 50 in 50

I was reading Joe Pelletier lastest blog post here http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/ about a potential NHL season being 50 games instead of 48 with reference to one of hockey's most iconic records 50 goals in 50 games.

It got me to thinking about Richard's historic 50 in 50 in 1945, the last war year when he was 23.

Richard is noted as one of the most clutch goal scorers in history but I wonder how much of an impact his 50 in 50 had in his legendary status.

I realize that his playoff scoring is also part of his legend, perhaps a bigger part as well.

Is his 50 in 50 over rated in part because of the war years and talent in the league at the time and the fact that Richard never really got close to 50 again despite the schedule moving to 60 games in 47 and 70 games in 50?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Elever
Hth

48 or 50 now no player even though there are ones capabel of it are going to get 50 goals in 50 now due to Bettman and co being fine with dead puck era 2.0. However when I see Richard footage online (and it's limited)...there's something very impressive there. You can see he has that aggressiveness and goal scoring instinct.

Now highlights and clips like that just show the positive. The question is if that same play would carry on to tougher competition, he's aggressive to get to a lose puck for example but 10 years later would a dman be just as quick? If you're an optimist in terms of his talent then you'd say that he'd find a way to score those goals anyways. Probably not 50 in 50 though but in the late 40s even 40 in 50 is damn impressive.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:35 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Is his 50 in 50 over rated in part because of the war years and talent in the league at the time and the fact that Richard never really got close to 50 again despite the schedule moving to 60 games in 47 and 70 games in 50?
Most over-rated feat of all time.

Isn't a hell of a lot different than if Taylor Hall scored 50 goals in 50 games in the AHL this season.

Richard's greatest year was 1946-47, when he scored 45 goals in 60 games in a year where no other player scored more than 30. That (utterly spectacular and dominant) season deserves a lot more press than the bogus 50-in-50 year against mainly AHL competition.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Big Phil

I don't know, it was still a pretty good feat. It was the War years and you do have to take that into account of course. However, he still lapped the rest of the NHL pretty well that year. Richard scored 50 but Herb Cain was 2nd with 32. Take it anyway you want. I mean there was still some talent in there. Cowley was there. Lach, Blake were there. Mosienko and Teeder Kennedy were there. Granted the Bentleys were gone to War, Apps was gone and so was the entire Kraut line so that stings a lot too. But it still wasn't like others were close to him either.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote