HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 13 Review From IGN Islander Fan

Old
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
NHL 13 Review From IGN Islander Fan

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11/nhl-13-review

Thought you guys would like this. Lots of Isles stuff in it. Im going donate my annual $60 to gamestop today.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
I'll be picking it up Sunday.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Isles Junkie

The game always comes out around my birthday. I almost always use my grandmas Bday check to buy it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM
scott99

Used to be hopelessly, unavoidably addicted to this game series, going back to the Sega Genesis days, In fact, I was on vacation the day the first ever version of NHL Hockey came out for the Sega Genesis, I believe it was September 1991. Sent my sister to J&R to pick it up for me (she worked downtown NYC), they were giving out a free puck with it, and the dummy came back with a Ranger's Puck ! I cursed her out, and she said "What's the difference ?" lol.

I played that game to death, I remember playing as the Islanders against the Rangers in my first game ever, and Lafontaine crashed into the net, and the friggen net came off it's moorings ! That was insanely cool for 1991's graphics.

I had every version up until 2004 I believe, but once they came out with the stick controls, I couldn't get used to it, was used to the buttons for pass and shoot. I know you can use that as an option. Maybe it's my old age, gonna be 50 in October. That being said, I may just pick this up as a birthday gift to myself.

Here's a video of the first version ever, man what memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIdxtNG8uc

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Team Houda

Is that a screen shot of Katic firing the puck? Never thought I would see that in a review!

Team Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:17 PM
KyleBailey12

Every year I say I'm going to skip the next game.

With that being said I'll be at Gamestop on Sunday.

For those on Xbox, the demo is out and has been out for a while now. Just in case you want to get a feel for the game before you make the $60 commitment.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
StumpNYI

Just got mine

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Used to be hopelessly, unavoidably addicted to this game series, going back to the Sega Genesis days, In fact, I was on vacation the day the first ever version of NHL Hockey came out for the Sega Genesis, I believe it was September 1991. Sent my sister to J&R to pick it up for me (she worked downtown NYC), they were giving out a free puck with it, and the dummy came back with a Ranger's Puck ! I cursed her out, and she said "What's the difference ?" lol.

I played that game to death, I remember playing as the Islanders against the Rangers in my first game ever, and Lafontaine crashed into the net, and the friggen net came off it's moorings ! That was insanely cool for 1991's graphics.

I had every version up until 2004 I believe, but once they came out with the stick controls, I couldn't get used to it, was used to the buttons for pass and shoot. I know you can use that as an option. Maybe it's my old age, gonna be 50 in October. That being said, I may just pick this up as a birthday gift to myself.

Here's a video of the first version ever, man what memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIdxtNG8uc
Old school Sega Hockey was the greatest game ever. Back in college, we'd have tournaments all the time. Scoring was so easy so it was more fun cranking guys with a well timed turbo boost. I forget the year they added the feature when you could hit and make them bleed. Ah, the memories.

If things continue as they are and there is no hockey, I might actually pick this up myself.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

These games should be $39. It's 98% the same thing as last year.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I know, the last I bought was 09. But it will keep me busy if there is a lockout. Plus I had a $15 coupon.

Old
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
This is one of the reasons I don't buy a new one every year. A lot of the time it seems like I'm paying for a roster update.

Anyone who owns '13, is there any significant difference in the gameplay from '12?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
RMimagery

The skating physics is the main difference this year. In years past, it was too easy and unrealistic to stop and turn. Now, momentum and the players weight and skills play a bigger role. If you're pushing it full tail , you'll need to be careful or be burned going back the other way on D.

I'm in.

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't buy a new one every year. A lot of the time it seems like I'm paying for a roster update.

Anyone who owns '13, is there any significant difference in the gameplay from '12?
Just from playing the demo I can tell you it's very different from NHL 12 and is definitely the most realistic feeling one they've come out with so far due to the realistic skating. I read this article this morning and thought it was awesome that the guy was an Isles fan, can't wait to pick this bad boy up in a couple of days.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Brunomics

Bought it on lunch for PS3, can't wait to play it tonight.

If anyone wants to make an online team, I'm in!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:24 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Bought it on lunch for PS3, can't wait to play it tonight.

If anyone wants to make an online team, I'm in!
I would but I got it for xbox :/

Old
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The game always comes out around my birthday. I almost always use my grandmas Bday check to buy it.
Same here...except for the birthday check. I just buy it for myself. My own present for myself!!!

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

if nhl13 is an iphone then nhl12 was zack morris cell phone on saved by the bell.. it feels like a totally new game. the skating physics is an absolute game changer

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Houda View Post
Is that a screen shot of Katic firing the puck? Never thought I would see that in a review!
Nope, its Visnovsky!!

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
if nhl13 is an iphone then nhl12 was zack morris cell phone on saved by the bell.. it feels like a totally new game. the skating physics is an absolute game changer
I played the demo a few times and this is an exaggeration.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
I don't think so, I thought it felt very different and a lot more realistic. Passing is more realistic (more difficult) along with the skating.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
your a lucky guy, my grandma used to give me checks for my Birthday, but the biggest amount ever was $10

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
The demo is never the same as the finished product. Once you get the full game and tweak the sliders a bit it feels like a completely different game from '12.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:00 AM
KyleBailey12

So I got my copy yesterday. The enhanced skating is realistic, if I go to make a hit and completely miss, I can't turn around to try and make up my mistake and a 2 on 1 ensues.

One feature I wanted to point out was the NHL Moments. Basically you get a moment during the 11-12 season and you have to either recreate or change history. (Moulson's four goals moment is on there ) You can complete the separate moments on either of the 4 difficulties winning pucks for HUT as you beat them.

This alone makes me want to play HUT more because they made pucks more available. I felt that in NHL11/12 it was a pain in the ass to get pucks without buying and my team just straight up sucked. With 13 you get a starter pack including you favorite teams jerseys a couple of roster players from that team.

For example my starter pack had Nino, Ullstrom and Amac.

So far, I'm enjoying it.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I know, the last I bought was 09. But it will keep me busy if there is a lockout. Plus I had a $15 coupon.

'09 is awesome. That's the one I still play. I bought either '11 or '12, but didn't like it nearly as much. There was more depth and detail, but the game play just seemed slower and the controls not quite as responsive. Playing a franchise in '09 on the hardest setting is still a good challenge, and creating a team and populating it entirely with players from the European leagues who have never played (to my knowledge, anyway) in the NHL really makes it feel like it's your team. Petr Ton out of the Czech league is the most clutch player to ever grace the ice.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
'09 is awesome. That's the one I still play. I bought either '11 or '12, but didn't like it nearly as much. There was more depth and detail, but the game play just seemed slower and the controls not quite as responsive. Playing a franchise in '09 on the hardest setting is still a good challenge, and creating a team and populating it entirely with players from the European leagues who have never played (to my knowledge, anyway) in the NHL really makes it feel like it's your team. Petr Ton out of the Czech league is the most clutch player to ever grace the ice.
I played last night and got owned by the computer. Huge difference from '09 to '13. It will take some getting used to. The older ones were more "arcadey" and just fun to play when the newer ones are more a simulation it seems. More of a learning curve. Harder to just pick up and play. But I enjoy that so I am looking forward to this one.