HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don cherry: Ron wilson 'planned destruction'

Old
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Jack Bauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What are they being locked out from?
Why do people keep asking that?

Locking out NHL players at midnight on July 1 prevents free agency from opening until a new CBA is negotiated.

I thought that was obvious.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Interesting comments made by Mr. Cherry..... Does anyone else believe that James Reimer was played around with by Wilson? And if James Reimer's confidence is shot?
Not in my opinion but it won't stop people from believing in Cherry's conspiracy theories.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post

Locking out NHL players at midnight on July 1 prevents free agency from opening until a new CBA is negotiated.

I don't see why that's important. That would really only marginally affect a handful of Players.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Jerkini

Lets be honest here. The fact is Reimer wasn't good enough. That has nothing to do with Ron Wilson, that's just the way it was.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I Believe

I don't know if I agree with the "planned destruction" part, but i think in a year we'll see just how bad Ron Wilson was for this team.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Well, Ron Wilson's favourite hobby while he was still here was to **** all over his young players (which made it even more hilarious when the 'defend all things Maple Leafs' brigade would show up to defend him against the people who saw him for the ineffective ******* that he was).

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

maybe ron wilson shouldn't have started reimer against boston...

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He said when Reimer came back from injury and started him against Boston is what killed him. He should've brought him in gradually but threw him to the wolves and he's right. They shouldn't have thrown Reimer in against Boston because they are the worst against goalies in the league and that's what he says. He also said it was the way Wilson jerked him in and out and didn't give him any consistency in terms of games started.. Which is very true. Wilson played all these ridiculous mind games with the goalies.

And at ACC what I mean is the negotiations. They should've started the negotiations sooner.
I wonder how true this is. You see a lot of people saying the same thing about jerking Gus around after he was the one who put the team on his back in the middle of the year. Reimer comes back and all of a sudden Gus is back to at best splitting starts evenly and he starts sucking again. Well what was Wilson supposed to do? Play the guy who was the starter at the beginning of the year who was coming back from a concussion or play the guy who everyone initially hated but was stepping up big time when he was needed?

And one start against a good team is supposed to = destruction? Are these professionals like glass? Do they break if you smash them once? Seems a little ridiculous to me.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Suntouchable13

Ron Wilson did a lot of damage to this team. I can't forgive Burke for hanging on to him for much longer than he should have been and giving him that asinine 1 year extension.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
nsleaf

Quote:

Dates do not mean a thing. The players and owners do not have the best interest of the NHL in mind. It is pure, 100% greed on both thier parts. They are all blinded by the almighty dollar, and they absolutely know the fans can be had, used and abused and still come back for more. Until fans start boycotting games, merchandise, etc, it will not change and this stupid cycle will repeat itself.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
paulster2626
Don't Mess with me

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiL8r87 View Post
I wonder how true this is. You see a lot of people saying the same thing about jerking Gus around after he was the one who put the team on his back in the middle of the year. Reimer comes back and all of a sudden Gus is back to at best splitting starts evenly and he starts sucking again. Well what was Wilson supposed to do? Play the guy who was the starter at the beginning of the year who was coming back from a concussion or play the guy who everyone initially hated but was stepping up big time when he was needed?

And one start against a good team is supposed to = destruction? Are these professionals like glass? Do they break if you smash them once? Seems a little ridiculous to me.
Seems to me that coming back you'd actually WANT to start against the hottest team in the League. You lose - no problem, you were supposed to lose. You win - hey look, you're the greatest.

Don Cherry is fun to listen to, but is a bit of a fool.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Sometimes it does cross my mind what it would be like to have a personality like Don Cherry as the Leafs GM

To recap his comments on the lockout and the Leafs:

-Everyone in the world is greedy. Says that with the revenues the league makes and the average salaries that the players make, he can't believe the two sides couldn't get together and get something done
-Thinks it will last a couple of months - a lot of owners down in the states that don't care about the first couple of months of hockey because bigger competitors (NFL, NBA and MLB) are all going on at that time.
-Says that this could setback a franchise like Florida
-Doesn't know how Fehr gets backing from the older guys who are on their way out as well the grinders who make below league average. Says these are the really two groups that are really hurt from a lockout.

-He doesn't get why they couldn't start earlier (though I get the impression that he thinks it may be the league that delayed the start of negotiations)
-Doesn't see how the Leafs are going to improve from last year especially with the improvements other teams have made
-Thinks that the only redeeming thing about this season would be Reimer because he thinks Carlyle will handle him much better than Wilson did
-Says that Wilson destroyed Reimer's development. Mentions when Reimer first came back from injury, Wilson put his first start against the hottest team in the league (Boston) instead of starting him against a weaker team so that he could gradually get going (though he credits Reimer for playing well in the game against Boston).
-The one thing the Leafs have going is if Reimer bounces back because has has the ability to win games all by himself
-Says that the writing on the wall regarding Gus most likely not coming back, he didn't agree with giving Gus the starts so many times over Reimer. Said that the experience for Reimer could have allowed him to get over it instead of getting bench in favour of Gus every time the team loses while Reimer's in net.
-Basically says that Reimer is the only thing going for the Leafs to make playoffs (no pressure Reimer, lol)
-The interviewer asked with a full camp and season under Carlyle, will the Leafs be better and Don replied 'well they can't be any worse' LOL
-He says that Carlyle needs to be patient with them unlike Wilson who was constantly yelling at them and compared it to whipping a dead horse
-Says that he can't believe Burke isn't going after a big bodied centre but he also acknowledges that they aren't easy to come by
I'm not the biggest fan of Antropov but he would have been perfect for this "re-tool" since that was Burke's intention. He could have been the "stop gap" until someone else stepped up. What did we get for Antro anyways?! Does anyone know?

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Of course some will, whether they know what actually went on or not because they have never let that stop them.
Agreed. I was always under the impression that "Rotten Ronnie" was just rotten with the media as a lot of the players spoke fondly of him. I believe I read, but don't quote me, that part of the reason Grabovski stayed on the first time around was because of Wilson....

Old
09-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Not in my opinion but it won't stop people from believing in Cherry's conspiracy theories.
Reimer's poor play - was it a team thing (whole team doing bad sometimes rubs off on any player on that team to play below expectations) or was he "never the same" after Gionta concussed him...

Old
09-11-2012, 03:37 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Reimer's poor play - was it a team thing (whole team doing bad sometimes rubs off on any player on that team to play below expectations) or was he "never the same" after Gionta concussed him...
Both.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Honestly I don't take much Don Cherry says as gospel, he's an over the hill crackpot. However, I love watching Coach's Corner and listening to his senile ramblings. Best part of Saturday night is the "Don Cherry Drinking Game."

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
maybe ron wilson shouldn't have started reimer against boston...
Maybe Wilson was trying to win the game? What should he have done, put in Gus?

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Pyromaniac3

It's a negotiation. Their mind works like this: If i can get them to compromise this many things in July imagine what I would get if I dragged it all the way to October.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Don Cherry is right on, when it comes to Ron Wilson and Brian Burke.

He calls them for exactly what they are!

Burke is destroying the franchise.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
He's right about Wilson, I still say he never works again.

Just about everything else, I disagree with.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Ari91

Quote:
The players are locked out from July 1 if June 30th was the final day of the CBA.

Even without 48 hours of the season itself ending in June would make more sense then 9/15 in my opinion

And my comment was why is 9/15 the date? Would it not make more sense for the CBA to end when the season ends? Why do an entire season worth of signing under a CBA that nobody intends to honor? I know 9/15 IS the date, it just seems random to me and does nothing to speed up the process given how much hindsight we have.
Ohhh, I misunderstood your question about the deadline date. Sorry.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Federko

Does anyone know what we got for Antropov?

Old
09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

This is all I see in this thread:

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:05 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiL8r87 View Post

Don Cherry is half right in that Wilson should have brought him along slowly once he came back. It wasn't the Boston game that ruined Reimer even though I agree that I wouldn't have played him in that game for the same reasons and he's wrong that Reimer was dinked around.

The truth is it was Gus that was dinked around, maybe Cherry should go back and check it out once Reimer came back he got the lion share of the games for a good month and the team went on it's 1st swoon of the season from 1st in the east down to 8th/9th during that time frame with Reimer in net. Too much was given to Reimer too soon coming back from the injury and it showed all the while Gus was hot and lost the net for no reason other than that Reimer was the hand picked #1 and was thrown to the wolves coming back from a concussion.

January came and Wilson went with the "you win you play strategy" between the 2 cause Reimer was struggling big time, Gus got the net again had a great month of January one of which he had 3 shutouts and was a nominee for the NHL's player of the month. The team climbed up the standings just 3 points out of 4th, didn't give up a single power play goal as the PK with Gus batted 100% in January. It was at this time that Burke 1st said that Gus saved the season and after one bad period vs Pittsburgh in the 3rd Gus suddenly lost the net again and BOOM the colossal fall started as Wilson for the 2nd time on the season committed the cardinal sin of taking the net away from a hot goalie in the name of getting the hand picked #1 going, Gus suddenly started over playing pucks again which it was clear he was trying too hard Reimer was still off and playing without confidence suddenly all the good the team achieved went for not as the team in front of the goalies was playing in front of 2 goalies who had no confidence with the result being instead of a playoff spot they ended with a lottery pick all because Wilson refused to stick with Gus.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Does anyone know what we got for Antropov?
The pick used to choose Kenny Ryan.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote