HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don cherry: Ron wilson 'planned destruction'

Old
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
This is all I see in this thread:

yeahhh especially Don Cherry.

i don't like Wilson, but a "planned destruction"?

there were many contributing to the Leafs collapse last season.

I love the undying vote of confidence Grapes is giving Reims, but I just don't see how Reimer could have been any better if he started against a weaker team.

I just hope Reims can turn a page in the near future.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I doubt very much that people in Hockey would take Cherry's ramblings seriously.
Cherry has forgotten more about hockey than 99% of loudmouths on this board will ever know about the game.

He may be getting up there in age, and his personal views are like those of any other (hit or miss), but he KNOWS the game.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Would people really have been happy if Burke had signed Antropov at $4M a year? That's apparently what he was asking for (and got as a free agent).

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
One point i'm suprised nobody has mentioned why is Sept 15th the end date?

Seems to me that June 30th would make a hell of a lot more sense and give much more 'post deadline' time to negotiate before a new season starts.
Its when the previous CBA expires.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The pick used to choose Kenny Ryan.
What's the general consensus amongst posters - they rather have Ryan because he is a prospect? Instead of a stop gap First line centre in Antro?....

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Budsfan

Why would Wilson plan Reimer's destruction, that doesn't make sense.

If Wilson wanted to get rid of him, why didn't he just ask Burke, to bring in another goal tender, he may have handled Reimer wrong but I hardly think he tried to destroy him.

Quote:
Canadian hockey icon Don Cherry appeared on Sportsnet The Fan 590's Brady & Lang in the Morning on Tuesday and said that former Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson's handling of No. 1 goaltender James Reimer was "a disaster" and that he tried to destroy him.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Would people really have been happy if Burke had signed Antropov at $4M a year? That's apparently what he was asking for (and got as a free agent).
I would have been - as a stop gap. Sign him up for two years... we were re-tooling not rebuilding... Antro could have played with Kessel.. Antro could be a good teacher to Colbourne who plays in a similar fashion.... Grabs might have even signed for a little less..and we'd have Antro instead of Connolly.... win/win The dreaded Sens didn't get rid of Spezza or Chris Phillips in their re-tool and made the playoffs after one bad season.... We should have kept a piece like Antro for a little longer.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
What are they being locked out from?
Didn't some players get signing bonuses for signing in July?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
Honestly I don't take much Don Cherry says as gospel, he's an over the hill crackpot. However, I love watching Coach's Corner and listening to his senile ramblings. Best part of Saturday night is the "Don Cherry Drinking Game."
Kind of like watching the Leafs, I enjoy it even though they've been trash since they fired JFj.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:30 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Cherry has forgotten more about hockey than 99% of loudmouths on this board will ever know about the game.

He may be getting up there in age, and his personal views are like those of any other (hit or miss), but he KNEW the game.
Changed and emphasized.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He said when Reimer came back from injury and started him against Boston is what killed him. He should've brought him in gradually but threw him to the wolves and he's right. They shouldn't have thrown Reimer in against Boston because they are the worst against goalies in the league and that's what he says. He also said it was the way Wilson jerked him in and out and didn't give him any consistency in terms of games started.. Which is very true. Wilson played all these ridiculous mind games with the goalies.
Even if Reimer didn't start against Boston when would have returned? After that the Leafs next three games were against the Rangers, Devils and Capitals. If anything Wilson was wrong for not pulling Reimer in Montreal after Gionta hit him, because who knows how much worse he was playing the 1st period of that game.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:02 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
Changed and emphasized.
Don't kid yourself. He still knows it, but like a lot of older analysts in most sports, he still views the game through the frame of years ago.

He could educate EVERYONE on this board about the game, bank on that. Not to mention, he's a HUGE advocate for youth hockey in the country, and stops at nothing to help out and make appearances.

Our kids appreciated his visit, and he did wonders for their confidence, and their outlook on playing the game.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He said when Reimer came back from injury and started him against Boston is what killed him. He should've brought him in gradually but threw him to the wolves and he's right. They shouldn't have thrown Reimer in against Boston because they are the worst against goalies in the league and that's what he says. He also said it was the way Wilson jerked him in and out and didn't give him any consistency in terms of games started.. Which is very true. Wilson played all these ridiculous mind games with the goalies.

And at ACC what I mean is the negotiations. They should've started the negotiations sooner.
Not to mention that Ronnie would always throw Reimer under the bus in the media and deflect any blame he could have taken. Any good coach will hold their players accountable, but will do it behind closed doors. Confidentiality.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Not to mention that Ronnie would always throw Reimer under the bus in the media and deflect any blame he could have taken. Any good coach will hold their players accountable, but will do it behind closed doors. Confidentiality.
Exactly. You take one on the chin, as a coach, when people ask questions. Nothing wrong with publically challegung players to step up, as motivation, but Wilson was a joke.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
I remember after the Olympics he was saying Canada only won because of the puck going of the Ref.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I remember after the Olympics he was saying Canada only won because of the puck going of the Ref.
Yeah I remember that. He was a real sore loser after the Olympics. That's just American culture though, if you don't win blame someone else and/or be sour about it.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

The truth is it was Gus that was dinked around, maybe Cherry should go back and check it out once Reimer came back he got the lion share of the games for a good month and the team went on it's 1st swoon of the season from 1st in the east down to 8th/9th during that time frame with Reimer in net. Too much was given to Reimer too soon coming back from the injury and it showed all the while Gus was hot and lost the net for no reason other than that Reimer was the hand picked #1 and was thrown to the wolves coming back from a concussion.

January came and Wilson went with the "you win you play strategy" between the 2 cause Reimer was struggling big time, Gus got the net again had a great month of January one of which he had 3 shutouts and was a nominee for the NHL's player of the month. The team climbed up the standings just 3 points out of 4th, didn't give up a single power play goal as the PK with Gus batted 100% in January. It was at this time that Burke 1st said that Gus saved the season and after one bad period vs Pittsburgh in the 3rd Gus suddenly lost the net again and BOOM the colossal fall started as Wilson for the 2nd time on the season committed the cardinal sin of taking the net away from a hot goalie in the name of getting the hand picked #1 going, Gus suddenly started over playing pucks again which it was clear he was trying too hard Reimer was still off and playing without confidence suddenly all the good the team achieved went for not as the team in front of the goalies was playing in front of 2 goalies who had no confidence with the result being instead of a playoff spot they ended with a lottery pick all because Wilson refused to stick with Gus.
This is 100% correct. It really seemed like all the powers that be
didn't like him. The truth is we were succesful with Gus, and it
was horrible for him to be treated like this. Reimer was #1, and now
he's not playing like it, so he loses it. That would've have been the
correct path. You might even say that we're in the playoffs, if not
for Wilson and Burke's being blinded by JR being #1.

I hope JR can rebound, but just due to health, I think Ben will take
over the #1 job. Gus was NEVER shown ANY respect.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Why would Wilson plan Reimer's destruction, that doesn't make sense.

If Wilson wanted to get rid of him, why didn't he just ask Burke, to bring in another goal tender, he may have handled Reimer wrong but I hardly think he tried to destroy him.
Its the Beauchemin/Carlyle story. Wilson destroyed the whole team.
Carlyle will have to rebuild it, amongst all the players.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
I doubt very much that people in Hockey would take Cherry's ramblings seriously.
Well, after one of Cherry's rants about tough guys not too long ago and mentioning guys like Stu Grimson, Jim Thompson and Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson and Chris Nilan took it pretty seriously. Grimson, being an attorney, sent Don a nice little letter stating that he would face the possibility of a lawsuit.

The man is opinionated. I don't mind listening to him but he does push the limits sometimes.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Maybe Wilson was trying to win the game? What should he have done, put in Gus?
Win a game, lose a season? Well we won't know what would have happened if he had slowly brought back Reimer now.

When Crosby came back from his concussion, I wouldn't have started him against the Flyers, much less Reimer starting against the Bruins who basically destroyed us last year. Think this is what Cherry is saying.

Pick your spots more selectively regardless of what the player says of his readiness. If every coach listened to when players wanted to come back from injuries, what use is a trainer or coach?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post

He may be getting up there in age, and his personal views are like those of any other (hit or miss), but he KNOWS the game.
Ageed, people always like to dimish him as senile and old, but funny how Bowman or Pollack are geniuses when they aged.

Cherry knows his hockey as a player and as a coach. He knows the intricacies of the game many of us will never know.

Wilson may have been a good coach earlier in his career, but he was dowright awful with the Leafs.

How anyone could defend him is beyond me.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
After Cherry tossed "his" type of players under the bus last off season I have lost all respect for him and now turn of coaches corner when it comes on. Cherry has gone around the bend and should be put down like old yeller

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Ari91

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, people were upset that Reimer wasn't getting starts because of Gus and I was of the mind that as long as they win, I don't care. Now seeing all that had transpired, I would have preferred to see a potential #1 play through every hurdle in order to bounce back than win meaningless games with a guy who was already pegged as having no more future in Toronto.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
BrannigansLaw

Last I checked, good goalies tend to have a strong mentality. If Reimer became so emotionally fragile under Wilson, than he doesn't have what it takes to be a #1 goalie in this league and he never did.

Reimer is the one between the pipes, not Wilson. If anything, the porous defense and crappy overall team defense are to blame if we're all trying to be oblivious to the fact that Reimer just wasn't that good last year.

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Even if Reimer didn't start against Boston when would have returned? After that the Leafs next three games were against the Rangers, Devils and Capitals. If anything Wilson was wrong for not pulling Reimer in Montreal after Gionta hit him, because who knows how much worse he was playing the 1st period of that game.
Let him play at home at least. The Bruins had won something ridiculous like 6 straight games going into that game against the Leafs. You don't put a goalie coming off an injury against the hottest team in the league at the time at their home rink. If you have to wait to play him to not throw him to the wolves, then so be it.