HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don cherry: Ron wilson 'planned destruction'

Old
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
ACC1224

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Cherry has forgotten more about hockey than 99% of loudmouths on this board will ever know about the game.

He may be getting up there in age, and his personal views are like those of any other (hit or miss), but he KNOWS the game.
There's no doubt he knows the game but he has gotten a little out of touch.
He's not some Yoda that current professionals look to for insight/guidance.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Not to mention that Ronnie would always throw Reimer under the bus in the media and deflect any blame he could have taken. Any good coach will hold their players accountable, but will do it behind closed doors. Confidentiality.
"Not to mention that Ronnie would always throw Reimer under the bus in the media"

That is simply not true at all. I don't recall Wilson EVER throwing Reimer under the bus. In fact he often blamed the team for failing him.

NiL8r87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Dayjobdave

I think what Cherry meant to say is "Wilson couldn't have messed Reimer up any worse IF he tried..."

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

I love how people feel that Cherry is senile.....he knows what he is talking about when discussing how to handle players as a coach. He was a players coach and always did what he felt was in the best interest of the players and the team.

Wilson was an idiot....and a person who did not talk to the players after games?

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I love how people feel that Cherry is senile.....he knows what he is talking about when discussing how to handle players as a coach. He was a players coach and always did what he felt was in the best interest of the players and the team.

Wilson was an idiot....and a person who did not talk to the players after games?
Where do you come up with stuff like Wilson did not talk to players after games? Also just because Cherry was a great hockey mind back in the day doesn't automatically make his current views free from bias. It's obvious he dislikes Wilson, and he comes off as ridiculous (and senile) when he spews conspiracies like "Wilson is trying to destroy Reimer (or Kadri before)"

No coach tries to ruin a player or a team..

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
daveleaf

Cherry's approach may be wrong but their is no denying he knows hockey. Burke's approach is no different just that Cherry doesn't make promises.

Guys here are defending Wilson by attacking Cherry. Wilson has left a sour spot in every place he has coached-that is a fact. I agree with Cherry from the stand point that he was pulling him in and out of the lineup. You have to give a guy a chance to get his game going without him feeling he will get pulled all the time. Same thing happened to Kadri, same thing happened to Marleau. Wilson is a cancer and I am glad he is gone.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Where do you come up with stuff like Wilson did not talk to players after games? Also just because Cherry was a great hockey mind back in the day doesn't automatically make his current views free from bias. It's obvious he dislikes Wilson, and he comes off as ridiculous (and senile) when he spews conspiracies like "Wilson is trying to destroy Reimer (or Kadri before)"

No coach tries to ruin a player or a team..
Luke Schenn said that in an interview right after Wilson was canned. True story.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Darcy Tucker

I miss Ronnie.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Cherry's approach may be wrong but their is no denying he knows hockey. Burke's approach is no different just that Cherry doesn't make promises.

Guys here are defending Wilson by attacking Cherry. Wilson has left a sour spot in every place he has coached-that is a fact. I agree with Cherry from the stand point that he was pulling him in and out of the lineup. You have to give a guy a chance to get his game going without him feeling he will get pulled all the time. Same thing happened to Kadri, same thing happened to Marleau. Wilson is a cancer and I am glad he is gone.
WORST coach since John Brophy. Classless, gutless and arrogant. I guess the players polled who made him the least liked coach to play for just are idiots. Fans on a Leaf forum who think Cherry is being unfair to Wilson know better. I'm not even a Grapes fan as I think he is now past his best before date but he isn't always wrong. Thats for sure.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
number72

This is not really Cherry bad mouthing Wilson. This is more Cherry sticking up for Reimer and absolving Reimer from "blame" for his poor year last year.

People like to point out how Cherry picked on Wilson in his comments but forget to mention how he also is building up Carlyle in his comments. Cherry like most posters on here have an agenda.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post

Everybody wanted him gone, and now that is gone everybody is defending him.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote