Old
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Aunties Mittens

The Machacek vs Gagnon debate going on in another thread made me think of this,
why does no one see Mittens drawing in?

Personally i thought once he got going (his last half) miettenen looked pretty decent, and his stats (just boxcars, don't know the advanced stats on him) would of had him as our best producing bottom 6er.

Does everyone actually see him not drawing in over Cormier/Machacek/or even the extraordinarily unlikely Aaron Gagnon?

I personally think he will do much better, as his last 20 games vs his first 20 games were like night day, and is not to be entirely unexpected after switching leagues halfway through the year.

Side note: I recall in an interview Chevy or Noel ( i can't remember which) talking about Mietennen and how he struggled at the start and then really found his game, and they were looking forward to seeing that player all year next season.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
tbcwpg

I always have seen the 4th line going into the season to be Mittens/Slater/Thorburn. That said, he'll have to earn it in camp I think, but he's 13th forward at minimum.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 200
Mittens - Slater - Machecek / Thorburn (depending on what might be required for the team they're playing), perhaps?

That would be a fairly reasonable 4th line, IMHO.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
The Machacek vs Gagnon debate going on in another thread made me think of this,
why does no one see Mittens drawing in?

Personally i thought once he got going (his last half) miettenen looked pretty decent, and his stats (just boxcars, don't know the advanced stats on him) would of had him as our best producing bottom 6er.

Does everyone actually see him not drawing in over Cormier/Machacek/or even the extraordinarily unlikely Aaron Gagnon?

I personally think he will do much better, as his last 20 games vs his first 20 games were like night day, and is not to be entirely unexpected after switching leagues halfway through the year.

Side note: I recall in an interview Chevy or Noel ( i can't remember which) talking about Mietennen and how he struggled at the start and then really found his game, and they were looking forward to seeing that player all year next season.
Actually!!! I mentioned him as being one of the guys cycling through the fourth line... thank you very much

From what I saw he had his up and downs but looks like his before years may have been a bit of his teammates pulling him up. I don't know if you remember in the beginning of the season many of us were saying MacLean was a top6 style player without enough skill to break into our top6... this is similar to how I see Mittens... but he will be a gem to have for options if/when injuries begin, especially if he can continue to bring the game he brought in the later bit of the season.

From what advance stats say, he performed at even strength similarly to Stapleton but wasn't as sheltered (probably due to some of his time he spent covering injuries on the GST line).

From Eric. T's work at hockey numbers showing shelteredness.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
hockeyarena

I'd really like to see Mittens given a chance to play with Olli. A Wheeler or Kane or Ladd - Jokinen - Mittens line is worth at least a look imop. Finnish players have been known to have some really good chemistry when playing together.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Crazed Fan

I agree. I really like what i saw from him in the last 10 games of the season. He was very noticeable at both ends of the ice.

Have been using
Wellwood Jokinen Mittens
in NHL 13. Seems to be working pretty good.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
I agree. I really like what i saw from him in the last 10 games of the season. He was very noticeable at both ends of the ice.

Have been using
Wellwood Jokinen Mittens
in NHL 13. Seems to be working pretty good.
then it must be good!

just playin.

really i like the way the team looks for this season, going to really suck if there isn't one

Old
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyarenadotnet View Post
I'd really like to see Mittens given a chance to play with Olli. A Wheeler or Kane or Ladd - Jokinen - Mittens line is worth at least a look imop. Finnish players have been known to have some really good chemistry when playing together.
For that to happen he has to beat (or have them injured or combination) three of Little, Kane, Ladd, Burmistrov, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, and Wellwood.

I could see that as possible but I'd rather him earn it from solid play than testing theories.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
For that to happen he has to beat (or have them injured or combination) three of Little, Kane, Ladd, Burmistrov, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, and Wellwood.

I could see that as possible but I'd rather him earn it from solid play than testing theories.
well said. Sort of why you really wish there was a training camp so they can test all this business out.

i just hope we get a little more solid use out of our lines. I really did not like how our "spare parts" line was used last year, it seemed to always lack direction/identity and really didn't have a specific role to play.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyarenadotnet View Post
So you give him top six because he's Finish? I hate the arguement that a player is deserving of something based on nationality. Its like going to the Red Wings board everyone there thinks every Russian alive is best freinds with Datsyuk and would be a 40G man playing on his wing.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
BigZ65

Everytime I hear Gagnon I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Why not give those minutes to a NHL player or someone who might become one? Personally I have Cormier and Maxwell easily ahead of Gagnon in addition to Machacek.

Miettinen can be a solid role player for us and I think he'll play on many different lines as the season wears on, sort of a Wellwood lite. I think expecting in the neighbourhood of 25-30 points over 82 games isn't unreasonable.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
HPsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Actually!!! I mentioned him as being one of the guys cycling through the fourth line... thank you very much

From what I saw he had his up and downs but looks like his before years may have been a bit of his teammates pulling him up. I don't know if you remember in the beginning of the season many of us were saying MacLean was a top6 style player without enough skill to break into our top6... this is similar to how I see Mittens... but he will be a gem to have for options if/when injuries begin, especially if he can continue to bring the game he brought in the later bit of the season.

From what advance stats say, he performed at even strength similarly to Stapleton but wasn't as sheltered (probably due to some of his time he spent covering injuries on the GST line).

From Eric. T's work at hockey numbers showing shelteredness.

Wicked! Just more proof that Little is the best jets fwd! The only player to play on the "first" line the whole season. (unless injured)

Anyways, Mittens had some pretty great chemistry with Kane while they were playing together at the end of the season. It seemed as though Mittens and Kane could "find" each other with some ease. Although to do remember Kane messing up on a lot of his prime scoring chances around the same time.

I'm really interested to see where Mitten's falls into this line up.

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Wicked! Just more proof that Little is the best jets fwd! The only player to play on the "first" line the whole season. (unless injured)

Anyways, Mittens had some pretty great chemistry with Kane while they were playing together at the end of the season. It seemed as though Mittens and Kane could "find" each other with some ease. Although to do remember Kane messing up on a lot of his prime scoring chances around the same time.

I'm really interested to see where Mitten's falls into this line up.
It's a measure of the competition level the players faced against not their capabilities, so it shows that Little usually faced the other teams top defensemen and to a lesser degree their top forwards... It doesn't take in zone starts or how well they did against that competition.

It shows the average amount of time on ice for which they defence and forwards they faced against.
Ladd's Little Wheeler consistently went against the other team's top defensemen and faced stiff forward competition but it was lessoned by GST taking some of the load.
Kane's line was sheltered by seeing less top defensemen than LLW and less top forwards than GST or LLW.
GST took a lot of the top forward competition (not shown in graph: predominately in defensive zone situations) to take some of the top forward competition away from the Jets' first and second line, but they almost rarely faced top defensemen pairings as the opposing coach didn't see an offensive threat from them.
Our fourth line (mostly represented by Stapleton) wasn't able to take pressure off of anyone and was highly sheltered. Neither Noel or the other Coach saw any value/threat by that line.