HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

If the penguins are bounced in the first round again:

View Poll Results: If the pens are bounced in the first round again do you think Bylsma will be fired?!
Yes 52 60.47%
No 24 27.91%
He will get ONE more year... 10 11.63%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-11-2012, 02:23 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

vCash: 500
If the penguins are bounced in the first round again:

Do you believe Dan Bylsma will be fired as the penguins head coach?

I know he is a well liked guy in the room and league wide, but HOPEFULLY this is the season where there are NO excuses (injuries etc.) as for why the team falls short and apart.

What do you think?!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
No, but some major changes will be made. A guy like Orpik could be moved, for example. But I don't think Bylsma would be the scapegoat just yet.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Do you believe Dan Bylsma will be fired as the penguins head coach?

I know he is a well liked guy in the room and league wide, but HOPEFULLY this is the season where there are NO excuses (injuries etc.) as for why the team falls short and apart.

What do you think?!
I guess it might depend why, but my first instinct is yes.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
No, but some major changes will be made. A guy like Orpik could be moved, for example. But I don't think Bylsma would be the scapegoat just yet.
Bylsma getting fired wouldn't necessarily be making him a scapegoat. There are plenty of issues with the team that can be pretty directly tied to the coaching.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

That's a question with an ambiguous answer. You'd have to review why we lost before canning him.

2010 and 2011 can just about be hand-waved. Halak was having a statistically improbable run that led a team that Washington should have swept to the 3rd round. And yeah, blowing the 3 - 1 lead in 2011 sucked, but with the injuries we had, Tampa Bay was a HUGE favourite, and you can easily argue that their come back was simply a painful case of regression to the mean. 2012 was brutal, but at the same time, we are a bounce or two away from facing Ottawa, a team that can't beat us unless Brent Johnson is in nets, and the Flyers are a much tougher first round match up than any of the teams ahead of us got. Hell, I'd have rather finished 6th and face the Panthers. None of these losses were anywhere near as bad as the epic fail that was 1993.

Do I believe that we have a **** ton to work on defensively and on the power play? Hell yes, but it's also clear that we went through 3 years in which the stars were aligned completely against us, and I think it's too early for Bylsma to pay the price.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Sivek

He would definitely be fired.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I kind of wish he was fired already... or atleast mixed things up a little more.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I'll say one more year.

While injuries have hampered our success in the past, there was NO EXCUSE for our abysmal on-ice performance in this past playoff series.

Starting this season (if we even have one) I think Disco will be on a slghtly shorter leash. And if we go down again early again, then the 2013-14 season will be his "put up or shut up" season.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Bylsma getting fired wouldn't necessarily be making him a scapegoat. There are plenty of issues with the team that can be pretty directly tied to the coaching.
My thoughts exactly.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Sivek

I really don't see how anyone can think he would be back. If they lose in the 1st round again, it would be 4 straight disappointing finishes, including 2 absolutely killer series in Philly & Montreal. Another disappointing series would have to be the end of the line. You can't have the two best forwards in the game and settle with that.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 03:35 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

I know I sound a bit like a broken record (if any of you whipper-snappers know what that is ) but Shero was pretty upset after this years first round exit. I can't see him giving Bylsma another year if we get bounced in the first round again.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Sutter16

I don't think they will get bounced out in the first round. But if they do Blysma should be fired. No Doubt

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Almost without a doubt, Bylsma will be canned in that situation (on any team).

Shero has to think about his own neck too. If he keeps a guy in the loop who has lost 4 1st round series in a row, that's taking a pretty big risk. Disco is not immune to the firing of coaches. Especially if we're healthy (should we lose), he'll be history.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Almost without a doubt, Bylsma will be canned in that situation (on any team).

Shero has to think about his own neck too. If he keeps a guy in the loop who has lost 4 1st round series in a row, that's taking a pretty big risk. Disco is not immune to the firing of coaches. Especially if we're healthy (should we lose), he'll be history.
Well, 3 anyway.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Sorry, I forgot 2010 was a 2nd round exit. Either way I don't think Disco would survive a third 1st round exit. I need to turn my memory up to 11.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I voted yes that Bylsma would likely get fired, but I think a more interesting question is: how much rope does Shero have? Will ownership look to make a change higher up than the coach if the team fails again?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Jacob

Depends.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Tis.. like da... don't care. Da want to be worst best team in league.

Da..doing such a great job too.

#Head Coach of the Montreal Canadians-Michel Therrien

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Its impossible to tell because there are to many ways a team can loose in the first round...

Just to give 3 general ones... Is it a coaching failing (as the OP suggests)? Is it a case that certain and/or key players underperformed regardless of coaching? Or is it a compound situation, was coaching mediocre to average followed by mediocre to average key player play?

So...

- Coaching Failing - If the players through the roster played the on ice tactics provided to them by the coaching staff, and visibly gave full effort on ice in a post season effort yet failed due to on ice tactics, line combination, etc... Coaching staff would most likely be moved out at this point, would it be Blysma? Who knows, would he stay and he staff be cleared out? Or would pieces of his staff stay and him and other go? Or would the entire lot be sent packing? No way to tell, but if this were the case Shero would have to worry about his own neck and make big changes to the coaching staff. Whether it would be regulating DB to assistant and bringing in a new head coach, or bringing in a head coach caliber person to be assistant with a bigger role to balance out the good elements of DB and rid his bad? ETC... Who knows what would happen... But certainly something would indeed happen with the coaching staff.

- Key Players Under performing - Heads would role. Players like Orpik, Martin, TK, Kunitz, Dupuis, ETC would be moved. Regardless (and please read this before you ignorantly flame) if that player was an actual under performer. Some underperformers would be moved, others would be given a last chance talk, and other that may not have under performed maybe moved out as pieces of deals. Basically Shero would do what ever moves he felt would fix the on ice performance issues to ice the best team possible and in that sort of situation and only the untouchables of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, and Fleury (along with top 3-4 prospects) would be 100% safe.

- Combo Of Two Above - You would see players moved, like a Orpik or Kunitz etc... And also Staff moved, probably another big name head coach or assistant with head coach talent brought in to ether take the reigns from Blysma or work with him...

So its impossible to tell whether DB would be gone or not... Because there are too many aspects to a team falling short in round 1. And I only gave 3 very generic ones. There are many more possibilities, some of which we have experienced... Hot goalie, injured elite talent, on ice leadership hole, systemic game to game injuries in first post season games or last 10 regular season games, etc...

Way to many variables to say one way or the other. But there sure would be changes one way or the other if there were another 1st round exit. That is a certain.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Don't try to apply pure logic to coaching decisions. Plenty-a-coach who didn't deserve it, have been canned for less than what we're talking about. Ultimately it comes down to winning the big games no matter what and if we fail to do that in a big way 3 years in a row (4 really)... the only way I see Disco getting a pass is massive injury situations where everyone knows going in we're not going to win.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

It's a toss-up in my opinion, but he's definitely on the hot seat if this crap happens again.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:06 AM
alexfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
It's a toss-up in my opinion, but he's definitely on the hot seat if this crap happens again.
I agree, if it goes south this season, he is more or less in a win or your done scenario the following year.

If a lockout happens and some sort of injury situation happens this year, have to wonder if that will play a part

alexfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

All depends on how we are bounced, I think Bylsma and Shero are close but if we lose this way again he might be fired

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:16 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Every coach has an expiry date. I love Bylsma and think he's a great coach but if it's another playoffs like last year's then for one reason or another, our team is not being prepared sufficiently for the playoffs. If it's a situation like 2010 where a goalie stands on his head, that's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:34 AM
cassius

Absolutely - there has to be accountability. 3 first round exits in a row certainly prompts action.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote