Notices

Letters To Leipold

Old
09-22-2012, 09:34 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Letters To Leipold

So I had a crazy idea last night. I am going home next week to visit my folks and our owner is from the same town as me. I thought "man, it would be nice to drop off a letter to Craigs house to show how much I disagree with this whole lockout and just express some of the frustrations that go along with it." He can read all he wants in the internet world but for some reason, well in my delusional head, I think a hard paper copy of a letter can have some substance too. Might also help that it is getting dropped off to one of his two homes. Am I gauranteeing he is going to get and read all of these, no, not really but I want to try. We as hockey fans are die hards and a bit loopy. Something even Craig said about himself. So I am sure it would come as no surprise that something like this would arrive to his house. You might consider it nuts, pointless, whatever, but I feel we as fans need to be heard by the owners.

If you want to type something up and have it included, send it as a word doc to the following email address

letterstoleipold@gmail.com

I need these no later than Wednesday 9/26 at noon CST so I can print them out and get them all in a big enough envelope.

00xtremeninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Proofread and use some nice stationary. Trust me, it makes all the difference.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Proofread and use some nice stationary. Trust me, it makes all the difference.
absolutely. hopefully some people add into this thing.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

You can't blame this lockout on Leopold. I honestly don't blame him for wanting to cut the player's salaries at least a little, some of these contracts are getting ridiculous. He was nice enough to give season ticket holders 10% back on their investment, which is actually quite generous.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

oh i am not blaming him for the lockout. but he is part of the group of owners. could provide a small spark of motivation to want to get something done, I dunno.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 581
Even if they are read, the owners and players don't give a rats ass what we think as fans.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Even if they are read, the owners and players don't give a rats ass what we think as fans.
Fans are how they make a living. Pretty sure they care on some level.

Edit: Plus, owners and players are also fans. Why would someone get involved in the hockey business if they didn't enjoy the game? I'd also argue that players are ultimate fans because they've dedicated their entire lives to something they love; fans are part of that experience, and players realize that we're the only reason why they can making a living doing the one thing they love best in life.

Last edited by Minnesota: 09-22-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
09-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Fans are how they make a living. Pretty sure they care on some level.

Edit: Plus, owners and players are also fans. Why would someone get involved in the hockey business if they didn't enjoy the game? I'd also argue that players are ultimate fans because they've dedicated their entire lives to something they love; fans are part of that experience, and players realize that we're the only reason why they can making a living doing the one thing they love best in life.
Even if they are fans, and even if the players realize without fans they don't make the salaries they do, when it comes to negotiations of the CBA, fans do not matter. We are not part of the negotiations, we are not part of the CBA and we do not gain anything from the CBA other than the ability to watch the game again. Our opinions mean nothing to either side in the negotiations, never have, never will.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
I'll try and write one if I have time.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

I blame Don Fehr, greedy agents, and spoiled players. So count me out.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

vCash: 500
If I write my letter on construction paper in crayon and sign it as "Timmy" it might have a more desired effect.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If I write my letter on construction paper in crayon and sign it as "Timmy" it might have a more desired effect.
As long as you do your y backwards and do your i upside down.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
oh i am not blaming him for the lockout. but he is part of the group of owners. could provide a small spark of motivation to want to get something done, I dunno.
Both the owners and players are equally to blame, so you need to send the Wild's player rep a letter as well.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
As long as you do your y backwards and do your i upside down.
Upped it a notch. Did the t, i, and m's all backwards. Probably won't even be able to read it.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Good idea. Then he'll think its from the make-a-wish foundation, too.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Upped it a notch. Did the t, i, and m's all backwards. Probably won't even be able to read it.
You should have made all the o's backwards as well.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Avder
Is only game.

This has "restraining order" written all over it.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
This has "restraining order" written all over it.
No. Thats the pictures on the inside.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Send an actual picture of yourself enclosed in the envelope. Leipold's confusion will be worth it.

Old
09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
se7en
infamous...

Its a humble grass roots idea but I'm just over it at this point, I really do appreciate the sentiment of wanting to write the owner(s) but I promise you it will do absolutely nothing. But hey, he might send you back a nice note saying he understands the fans frustrations and maybe just maybe you might even get some cool Wild swag but that's best case scenario...

The Wings Jim Devellano's interview really summed it up better than everything else I've read, it's a shame he got fined 250k+ for it.. He probably could have come up with a more flattering analogy than Cattle & Ranchers but what he spoke of really got down to brass tacks..

I'm sure all of you or at least most of you read it so I won't get into quotes and things like that but the reality is what he said at the end... The owners will not let a union push them around, the owners are the owners and they're not going to let their employees tell them what to do. As much as I think everyone's being at least a little greedy in this situation the owners do have an extremely valid point in that they employee these players, they give them first class / top of the line everything. They take all the risk & pay for everything when things go wrong, they get to make the rules in the end and they need to position themselves to show that they have always & will always be in control.

It's a waiting game now regardless if we like it or not...

My suggestion, be a big Houston Aero's fan this year, root for our future, maybe pick a Finnish league team and root for them as well, we can return the favor to all our Finnish friends who go out of their way to root for our American team by supporting one of their teams this season, just embrace the situation as best you can.. But I guarantee you that no fans are going to get anything done in this. The game will survive, the fans will always be there and things will go back to normal sooner or later, it's just going to suck in the meantime...

But by all means, keep fighting the good fight but I guarantee you CL is way more pissed than you about all of this. We just want to watch hockey, he literally has million & millions & millions of dollars invested in this. He didnt sign Parise & Suter to watch them play pick-up hockey on rented ice. He's a fan too, he wants these guys back on the ice but he's got to protect his investments & his future as well, just like any of us would in his shoes..

Like Devellano said, the players already know they lost but they still need to show that their strong & committed.. Sooner or later the owners will throw the players a bone, the players will take it because its good enough to let them save face & feel like theyve won at least in some small ways, we'll ***** & moan about the hockey season we lost but after another full season/year people will get over it because hockey will be back and it will business as usual until the next CBA...

EDIT: Sorry for the rant. It didnt seem that long til I saw it posted. haha

Last edited by se7en: 09-22-2012 at 06:14 PM.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Mr. Leipold.

Please change the chicken tenders back to the kind that were at the arena three years ago.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Mr. Leipold.

Please change the chicken tenders back to the kind that were at the arena three years ago.
Seconded.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Mr. Leipold.

To do that, Leipold would have to kick his in-law's catering company out of the X.

We lost a LOT of good food when that change happened. Not a fan of the concessions there anymore.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I blame Don Fehr, greedy agents, and spoiled players. So count me out.
Yep, all the NHLPA's fault. How dare the owners continue paying previously signed, legally binding contracts.

If I were promised X salary over X amount of time, then my boss asked me to re-negotiate my contract after one of the company's most profitable years, I'd say no too.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

^You have an odd idea of what profit is...

Also, the contracts are only binding if the league can continue to function. Obviously with around half the league losing money, not sure how you can say it's in a healthy situation. The owners could just cut their losses and let the league die... liquidate all the assets and move on and there isn't a damn thing the players would be able to do to stop it.